• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

frequency

I'm having a lot of trouble with these space battles.

Too much action in my MMO! I'm no good at these :(
I don't know how to avoid hits. It's even harder when I'm trying to aim at the same time.

Jrmint

I'm having a lot of trouble with these space battles.

Too much action in my MMO! I'm no good at these :(
I don't know how to avoid hits. It's even harder when I'm trying to aim at the same time.

Make sure you get the level 1 upgrades. I could not beat the first mission without them. Especially the offensive ones, they are essential for saving that ship.

frequency

Make sure you get the level 1 upgrades. I could not beat the first mission without them. Especially the offensive ones, they are essential for saving that ship.

I didn't want to spend credits on my ship but I think I'll have to.
There's no way I'll be able to afford the mount at level 25. I'm so broke.

Zafir

What level are you? I thought that, until I actually got to 25 and easily had enough for it. The amount of credits which you get really starts to ramp up as you get through the 20s.

frequency

What level are you? I thought that, until I actually got to 25 and easily had enough for it. The amount of credits which you get really starts to ramp up as you get through the 20s.

I'm half way through level 19 and about to head to Taris. I think I heard it was 75k credits or something? I'm not even remotely close to that number.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm half way through level 19 and about to head to Taris. I think I heard it was 75k credits or something? I'm not even remotely close to that number.
Level 19 for Taris? Is the planet order different for Republic players? I just got to Taris and I'm lvl 37.

frequency

Oh that's way less than 75k. Still far away from where I am though.

Level 19 for Taris? Is the planet order different for Republic players? I just got to Taris and I'm lvl 37.
I guess? The galaxy map said it was 16-20 or something.
The other choice I had was Nar Shadaa or whatever. That one was higher level than Taris.

56k if you're a moron and press right-click twice. :(
Oh... I'll probably click like 3 times.

zulfate

so i bought the game but i not have tried it at my house which is were my computer is, so for the moment i put it on my gf's laptop to see if she can run it so that she gets her own copy of the game. well it runs but everything is on low and it ranges from 25 fps to 40 should i have vertical sync on? i guess my question is what setting would be good to get the best out of her low setting(if that makes any sense)

falastini

I'm pretty sure Taris is completely different maps for both factions. Empire version is nighttime, whereas Republic is daytime.

Hawk269

I'm pretty sure Taris is completely different maps for both factions. Empire version is nighttime, whereas Republic is daytime.

Really? Can anyone confirm this? I think if it is accurate that is very cool. I know alot of talk about time of day settings for planets or planets have day to night cycles is missed by alot of people, but this would be cool since we do not have time of day cycles.

Zeal

Banned
I think this has been discussed earlier, but does anyone else feel like melee classes in this game just suck? I'm currently playing Sith Marauder and taking on more than 1 opponent at a time is just a total pain in the ass, having no CC or AOE whatsoever. Medium armor isn't cutting it either, as I'm taking a lot of damage from mobs.

I dunno, I just feel like a lot of classes are just not working and the game needs a lot of tweaking.

Zafir

Really? Can anyone confirm this? I think if it is accurate that is very cool. I know alot of talk about time of day settings for planets or planets have day to night cycles is missed by alot of people, but this would be cool since we do not have time of day cycles.

I can confirm it, as I've been through Taris on both my Sith Juggernaut and my Jedi Shadow.

I think this has been discussed earlier, but does anyone else feel like melee classes in this game just suck? I'm currently playing Sith Marauder and taking on more than 1 opponent at a time is just a total pain in the ass, having no CC or AOE whatsoever. Medium armor isn't cutting it either, as I'm taking a lot of damage from mobs.

I dunno, I just feel like a lot of classes are just not working and the game needs a lot of tweaking.
It's been discussed on the last 2 or 3 pages, haha. I agree that SW/JK need tweaking.

Marauders do get some CC, but it's droid only.

EDarkness

In my opinion, melee (specifically Jedi) are tough to play. A bunch of folks on the forum say we're not playing right so it's us and not the class. Not sure what to believe. Without a combat log, there's no way to see where the deficiencies are.

Zafir

In my opinion, melee (specifically Jedi) are tough to play. A bunch of folks on the forum say we're not playing right so it's us and not the class. Not sure what to believe. Without a combat log, there's no way to see where the deficiencies are.
I think there's some truth to that they're tough to play, but it is the class.

I did actually see a good post on the forums -
You're assuming that the skill cap on Juggs is some how higher than on other Tanks. Which is just not true. A smart playing Jugg can be on par with other tanks yes, but put the same smart player on a Powertech, and he'll be alot better and be able to do things Juggs can never do. The class is just fundamentally broken.

While the broken part is a bit much, it is a good way of putting what the issue is in terms of Juggernauts, and for Marauders you can pretty much just swap Tanks with DPS.

They're perfectly viable if you play your cards right, but you'd do a better job as another class. In my opinion, anyway.

Derrick01

Banned
I was looking forward to the space battles but that first one was not easy, the protection one. I failed the first time with 20 seconds left but finished on the 2nd attempt with like 5% ship health left (the other ship, not me).

Second one I did was much better though since it didn't involve protecting anything.

falastini

Ok. Can anyone convince me that the Vanguard/Powertech mechanics are fairly different in comparison to the Merc/Commando?

I want to roll a Repub alt so I'm not rehashing the Empire stuff. I tried both Jedi classes, and hated them both. I'd prefer to have something that could tank, so that pretty much limits me to Vangaurd. I'm just hoping it feels different enough then my Merc, that I won't regret it. Also... how does the Trooper story hold up?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think there's some truth to that they're tough to play, but it is the class.
I think it's interesting that my lvl12 Trooper can do the same damage as my lvl29 Jedi Guardian (DPS spec) at range in PVP with no danger of being caught in AoE.

I choose my character based on aesthetics and I think the Jedi Guardian is great that way. But it and its mirror class should be buffed based on the little experience I have with other classes.

If you have not much utility then you need much higher damage to compensate and I'm not seeing that.

erragal

Rage generation is a lot trickier than the other energy management systems. Using all of your rage generation/management tools properly is hugely important and minor mistakes can be very punishing. The dual wield classes lack enrage for off-GCD large resource burst. Carnage/Combat in particular without 0m range force charge seems really vulnerable to resource deprivation.

Marauder/Consular get berserk using the fury resource to reduce costs of abilities but they do seem to lack all of the rage tools that Guardian/Juggernaut have available (No saber throw either!). As an immortal tank my rage is very fluid and I feel my damage is very good (And it has to be because threat boost is only 50% for my abilities).

Kai

Awesome - I have a game stopping bug. Level 30 - just completed Sith Inquisitor story quest on Alderaan and now have to head to Nar Shadaa to continue.

As soon as I try to exit my ship - the game just shuts down. Closes completely. Every time.

GG Bioware.

Can I get an inv for US Empire gaf? Been trying to get a hold of an officer for the last 2 days and haven't had any luck. Toon's name is Raynah.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Awesome - I have a game stopping bug. Level 30 - just completed Sith Inquisitor story quest on Alderaan and now have to head to Nar Shadaa to continue.

As soon as I try to exit my ship - the game just shuts down. Closes completely. Every time.

GG Bioware.
It's only a matter of time before my quest log is full of quests I don't need but cannot abandon.

yh84f.jpg

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i like the in-game mail follow-ups for a lot of quests. Nice little touch.

Im on Tatooine right now and its nice to see mention of Rakata.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am still wavering on pve versus pvp. I am completely engrossed in Skyrim right now and would love to play a Star Wars game like it. PVE sounds close. Am I correct?

Tendo

UGH. I got a great moddable chest piece, pumped it full of good mods..and it clips through my butt when I run. IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY.

Kalnos

Banned
If you're interested in PvP roll Republic unless you *really* like Hutball because that's all you will be play 99% of the time as Empire.

I am still wavering on pve versus pvp. I am completely engrossed in Skyrim right now and would love to play a Star Wars game like it. PVE sounds close. Am I correct?

This game is nowhere close to Skyrim, is much closer to a KOTOR or even Mass Effect. But, yes, unless you plan to focus in killing other players (or surprisingly you enjoy being attacked by a group of people when you are injured because you just fighted against a boss), PVE is the way to enjoy the single player (or coop based) game.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
This game is nowhere close to Skyrim, is much closer to a KOTOR or even Mass Effect. But, yes, unless you plan to focus in killing other players (or surprisingly you enjoy being attacked by a group of people when you are injured because you just fighted against a boss), PVE is the way to enjoy the single player (or coop based) game.

Do you have the ability to mark your quests like you do in Skyrim and ME?

Ok. Can anyone convince me that the Vanguard/Powertech mechanics are fairly different in comparison to the Merc/Commando?

I want to roll a Repub alt so I'm not rehashing the Empire stuff. I tried both Jedi classes, and hated them both. I'd prefer to have something that could tank, so that pretty much limits me to Vangaurd. I'm just hoping it feels different enough then my Merc, that I won't regret it. Also... how does the Trooper story hold up?

They are nearly identical, though on paper they don't look anything alike. The trooper uses ammo for his resources, 12 little pips, each ability consumes 1-4 of them. The regeneration rate is dependent on how many pips you currently have and you get a variety of different ways to restore them in combat with abilities. Heat is exactly the same thing in reverse. You start out at 0 and abilities create heat that is exactly proportional to the mirror trooper ability up to a maximum of 100. If an ability would put you over 100, you can't use it until it degens back down far enough.

For instance, plasma grenade (trooper) and fusion missile (bounty hunter). Plasma grenade costs 4 ammo or 1/3rd of your total. Fusion missile creates 33 heat, or 1/3 of your maximum. The regeneration rates are also proportionally the same in each of the 4 regimes (indicated on the UI by a set of arrows).

The trooper uses an assault cannon while the BH dual wields blaster pistols. I don't know if this has any long-run advantages for either side, but if it does, they are probably marginal. There are some other minor differences that favor the BH, mostly animation time stuff. The trooper abilities Full Auto and Mortar Volley both animate slower and more clunkily than their BH counterparts. This actually matters on Full Auto because taking damage can easily cause you to lose a tick of damage dealt as it channels.

The Guardian and Jug I think work very well, the Maurader and Sentinel though I do think are poorly thought out. Have a couple nice abilities, but the other dps classes have more utility and just overall more fun.

The trooper uses an assault cannon while the BH dual wields blaster pistols. I don't know if this has any long-run advantages for either side, but if it does, they are probably marginal. There are some other minor differences that favor the BH, mostly animation time stuff. The trooper abilities Full Auto and Mortar Volley both animate slower and more clunkily than their BH counterparts. This actually matters on Full Auto because taking damage can easily cause you to lose a tick of damage dealt as it channels.

From what I understood, the animations look like they have different speeds, but from time of button pressing the results are done at the exact same time, just the combat animation looks slower/faster than the other.

witness

Getting a new laptop with my tax money, an HP, so I will finally be able to get this game. I have no idea what class or side I want to play as. Which class has no chance of getting nerfed in the near future? That could help me decide for my first character at least.

squidyj

Wow, so I just started doing PvP... as a healer, and while I'd had targeting issues before this was on a whole other level, there were times I wanted to break things I was so frustrated not being able to target who I wanted in time.

The problem is that there are too many ranged enemies. That force you to move a lot under fire, minimize the effect of the AoE attacks, etc. Also, even if there are some big range attacks (like Jedi jump), the problem is that you can miss easily the scope of the battle, because you can be surrounded easier by enemies, and have attackers out of the screen. In range combat classes, you don't lose time going to melee distance, and you can keep all your enemies on screen.

Probably the melee classes have to be adjusted to take the "several guys in several places shooting at me" inside the equation. If there are 3 guys shooting at you and you jump to the center one, you'll have 2 guys out of the screen shooting you. Then, you go to another one, and you have still a guy shooting you from the back. In range, you have all them in screen and you can react better.

Can someone help me explain this Commando talent?

Cell Charge
While Armor-piercing Cell is active, critical hits with rounds and Full Auto have a 50% chance to generate 1 energy cell. This effect can not occur more than once every 3 seconds.

First - I don't get it..

What is 'rounds'? I get that if I use "Full Auto" and I crit then I will get an 'energy cell' but it also seems to indicate another skill benefits from this?

Also..

What is an 'energy cell'? This some sort of resource that I'm not aware of? I play Commando and have for the past 24 levels and never heard of this... Our energy bar is 'Ammo' on all our skills.. so I know it isn't that...

frequency

With how many melee enemies there are that punch me in the face and knock me out of cover, I disagree that there are too many ranged enemies.

There is nothing more frustrating, combat wise, than being knocked out of cover. Like all my damaging abilities require me to be in cover.

I think I just don't like the normal encounter design in this game. Pretty much every single fight is a group fight. I much prefer fighting things one at a time. Here, you can't "tactically" choose which type of enemy to fight. You have to fight both melee and ranged all the time. And one of the types will always suck for you.

Izayoi

Banned
Ugh, navigating Corellia is such a bitch. Not only are half of the routes on your map blocked by unopenable doors so you have to go a looong way around, the available routes are manned by strong droids who will onehit you off your speeder. And everything is so goddamn far apart.

Immersive? Maybe for the first five minutes, but a total annoyance after that.
That's what bonus series are for! I never touched Corellia outside of my class quest and I'm glad I didn't.

What is 'rounds'? I get that if I use "Full Auto" and I crit then I will get an 'energy cell' but it also seems to indicate another skill benefits from this?
Grav Round and Demolition Round also benefit from the talent.

What is an 'energy cell'? This some sort of resource that I'm not aware of? I play Commando and have for the past 24 levels and never heard of this... Our energy bar is 'Ammo' on all our skills.. so I know it isn't that...
A single unit of ammo is an Energy Cell.

That's what bonus series are for! I never touched Corellia outside of my class quest and I'm glad I didn't.

Grav Round and Demolition Round also benefit from the talent.

A single unit of ammo is an Energy Cell.

Well hot dog.. just always though it was 'ammo'

Holy shit at the Imperial Agent story line in Act 2!! Shit is gettin fuckin real in deez screets! OMG OMG OMG SOOOOO FUCKING good. I did not see this shit coming

LOL at you other classes with your piss poor stories (lookin at you Jedi Consulars)

Top Bottom