• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

falastini

Thanks. But I meant how much do the play styles of the two advanced classes differ (in this case Vanguard vs Merc). I'm aware of how the Trooper works mechanically. It's essentially a mirror of the BH with a reverse resource system. I guess it would have been better to ask for a comparison of Merc to Powertech.

I've seen a little of the Powertech in action to know they focus on using the close-range abilities I don't use much as a Merc, and they get access to some I don't have (like grappling hook). I'm thinking the similarities might be too close, however. Maybe I can stick with the knight for a bit and see where that goes (not councular though... what horrible VA/story).

Derrick01

Banned
Holy shit at the Imperial Agent story line in Act 2!! Shit is gettin fuckin real in deez screets! OMG OMG OMG SOOOOO FUCKING good. I did not see this shit coming

LOL at you other classes with your piss poor stories (lookin at you Jedi Consulars)

Hey I like what I've done in the sith inquisitor line so far. I'm only level 18 so I'm not really far, but it's been enjoyable.

Giolon

Holy shit at the Imperial Agent story line in Act 2!! Shit is gettin fuckin real in deez screets! OMG OMG OMG SOOOOO FUCKING good. I did not see this shit coming

LOL at you other classes with your piss poor stories (lookin at you Jedi Consulars)

I think the Consular sotryline really takes a turn for greatness in Act 3, but the first two acts really are pretty lame.

TheYanger

Thanks. But I meant how much do the play styles of the two advanced classes differ (in this case Vanguard vs Merc). I'm aware of how the Trooper works mechanically. It's essentially a mirror of the BH with a reverse resource system. I guess it would have been better to ask for a comparison of Merc to Powertech.

I've seen a little of the Powertech in action to know they focus on using the close-range abilities I don't use much as a Merc, and they get access to some I don't have (like grappling hook). I'm thinking the similarities might be too close, however. Maybe I can stick with the knight for a bit and see where that goes (not councular though... what horrible VA/story).

The different ACs will have several of the same abilities, of course, but they do play drastically differently. Even though some of the overlap is there (stuff like High impact bolt for commandos and vanguards) stylistically they're extremely different and aside from utility abilities you will rarely use the same dps skills besides stuff like AE. I mean you're talking melee vs ranged in all 3 of the non-warrior classes, which inherantly is going to have a big impact on which abilities are useful, then the spec will determine beyond that. Guardian and Sentinel I couldn't point out the difference as easily.

Tacitus_

Hey I like what I've done in the sith inquisitor line so far. I'm only level 18 so I'm not really far, but it's been enjoyable.

I just finished it today and it is a damn good powertrip.

And I just exorcised (act1 ending)
Zash from Khems head. Goodbye, bitch.
. After grinding affection in the Black Talon. Felt good.

CAW

Can I get some feedback from people leveling on PvP servers. I'm on a populated PvP server pretty much leveling solo. Everyone that was planning to join me left for a PvE server and I decided to stay. My highest level character is 22 so I haven't really hit contested areas yet.

Is it pretty much the same as WoW in terms of dealing with the other faction?

theta11

Can I get some feedback from people leveling on PvP servers. I'm on a populated PvP server pretty much leveling solo. Everyone that was planning to join me left for a PvE server and I decided to stay. My highest level character is 22 so I haven't really hit contested areas yet.

I turned 50 today. Been attacked 7 times, 2 times by a group of 2 and once by a 50 when I was level 35 or so. I've seen maybe 20-30 or so Imperials overall. My server is Imperial heavy. =/

Also does anyone find travelling around Corellia a PITA?

Anno

So after playing 7 of the 8 characters to the 12-13ish area I think I've settled on my Operative for a main. Good story, great voice acting and a really versatile and powerful character. I'm really not sure why this class seems to be the least played.

Moaradin

It's not a Jedi/Sith class and they are probably the most complicated class in the game. I think word of mouth about the story will get around eventually and people will play them, even if they are just alts.

Anno

I'm totally cool with all of that. Even at low levels this is one of the more compelling classes I've played in some time. A stealth healer with melee attacks, tricks and some ranged combat mixed in? Yes please.

Wallach

I'm totally cool with all of that. Even at low levels this is one of the more compelling classes I've played in some time. A stealth healer with melee attacks, tricks and some ranged combat mixed in? Yes please.

I'm 50 now on my Scoundrel and I can tell you it is as good as it sounds.

I need to finish my class story tonight. I hit 50 at the tail end of Voss, so I haven't quite wrapped it up. Really enjoyed all three acts of the Smuggler class story though.

Hey, big ups to the GAF Empire for rolling on The First. It was triceratops rape. And I got a nice dress out of it. I look like a fuckin' S&M Sith Lord.

Thanks a lot, Gaf.

Azzurri

I'm on one of the most populated PvP server, and I had one person try to gank me, and I'm Lvl 40. I wouldn't worry about it.

It's not a Jedi/Sith class and they are probably the most complicated class in the game. I think word of mouth about the story will get around eventually and people will play them, even if they are just alts.

really? If that's true Maruaders must be damn rocket science. Operatives are ridiculously easy to learn and play. If you've ever played WoW as a rogue...congrats you're not pro at operative. The reason no one rolls Imperial Agent

1. No lightsaber
2. Name a noteworthy Imperial Agent in the movies?...yeah exactly.

Wallach

really? If that's true Maruaders must be damn rocket science. Operatives are ridiculously easy to learn and play. If you've ever played WoW as a rogue...congrats you're not pro at operative. The reason no one rolls Imperial Agent

1. No lightsaber

Well, I played a Rogue (and Warlock) through WotLK, and I would say that they aren't really that similar. The resource doesn't allow them to play like a Rogue during combat. Shadows play more like Rogues do when in open combat, Scoundrels just share more of the opening salvo from stealth with Rogues.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

1. No lightsaber
i havent played any other class yet but it is very easy to screw yourself over as IA. Use too many abilities and you wont have the energy to do anything. Dont go at the right speed and you will lose Tactical Advantage. If you dont time TA skills right it might expire while you are casting lol Its much more involved than a Rogue in Wow imo.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

1. No lightsaber

Yes building your expendable resource at the same rate with no multipliers is some real rocket science ish

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So lets take bets now; which classes will be first to see a buff, and which classes will be first to get nerfed?

I don't think Jedi Knight needs any massive fixing. An extra break in addition to force kick, and a ~10-15% boost in HP would be great. Hoping to see those in the first big patch.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So lets take bets now; which classes will be first to see a buff, and which classes will be first to get nerfed?

I don't think Jedi Knight needs any massive fixing. An extra break in addition to force kick, and a ~10-15% boost in HP would be great. Hoping to see those in the first big patch.

Haven't people been complaining that Sorcerers/whatever Light Side equivalents are pretty op?

Door2Dawn

Banned
JK/SW will see buffs first hopefully. They seriously need tweeking.

One thing I'll never understand is that at one point in testing Guardians and Juggernauts used to be the OP class. Stasis and Choke was 6 seconds instead of 3, Overhead Slash/Impale were base class abilities and they had Force Pull. These classes used to be really mean but then they got nerfed. What really gets me is that they took away Force Pull because apparently the class had too many gap closers. Then they go ahead and give the Vanguard/Powertech a charge AND a pull. It's not even a melee class and it has more gap closers!

antonz

Operative and its counterpart in smuggler will the the first hit with massive nerf sticks.

They are both fucking insane. People who say Sorceror are just shitty players

Sigfodr

So, I run into the class story area, talk to the guy, we get attacked. I kill eight guys and have two conversations. This apparently gets me halfway through level 25. Does this seem right?

antonz

Sorc/Sage seem to be pretty powerful.

What exactly is insane because i havent seen it yet.

On The Fatman there is a level 50 Scoundrel who runs around half naked and he 2 shots level 50s in full pvp gear. They have insane dps that coupled with a knockdown/stun means players dont even get a chance to react. Nothing like getting hit for 5k health then 3k then 3k then 5k and you just stand up from knockdown

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
On The Fatman there is a level 50 Scoundrel who runs around half naked and he 2 shots level 50s in full pvp gear. They have insane dps that coupled with a knockdown/stun means players dont even get a chance to react. Nothing like getting hit for 5k health then 3k then 3k then 5k and you just stand up from knockdown
So the only thing IA has is high single target DPS?

Maybe its just an IA thing because we use the knife thing. It has lag like a grenade and sometimes wont go off. Annoying as fuck.

Madrical

Banned
This has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find it. What's the deal with importing for Australians? I can't find it on any sites I usually use to import (Ozgameshop, GMG etc) so I don't know what to do *shrug*

Derrick01

Banned
Hey, big ups to the GAF Empire for rolling on The First. It was triceratops rape. And I got a nice dress out of it. I look like a fuckin' S&M Sith Lord.

Thanks a lot, Gaf.

That was a lot of fun. It reminded me of some of my favorite times on WoW, getting a lot of people together to take down some mega boss.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
And CC. And Stealth. And mobility. Honestly what else do you need in PvP?

They also make great healers if they feel like speccing that way.
Stealth okay but i dont think we have great CC.

My most useful ability is the DoT that last 15 seconds because it interrupts taking objectives.

And healing is just okay, imo. Its great for PVE.. PVP its kind of shit. Everything has a cast except for a talent HoT (which is lackluster imo.. its main usefulness is for proccing TA imo.. its a very weak heal.. plus i think enemies can see it following stealthed people around but im not 100% sure) and Tier 5 talent that consumes TA. Lack of peels, gap closers, and CC mean you are dead in a matter of seconds in PvP.

Choc

Banned
Must be at a higher level because I'm currently 13th lvl and still going strong with mine.

the problems with the Jedi Guardian do not expose themselves until mid-game (about level 30)

there is one boss character that exposes the guardians weakness for all its worth.

also spoiler for tatooine jedi guardian
bioware really needs to explain why flinging a boss off a cliff with force push does not count as a victory, seriously......... yet if the boss does it, quest over, start again

K.Sabot

Is there anyone who can invite to GAF Empire that is on currently? I would love an invite.

IGN: Kellys

Anyone feel free to friend me, this game requires a lot more grouping than I originally thought.

cackhyena

My companion wants to speak to me privately. I can't seem to find a place private enough for this to actually happen for some reason with this guy. Any suggestions?

Madrical

Banned
You'll notice it has the exact same lfg system as FFXI :p

I just read on a youtube comment there isn't a LFG system? Or maybe that it just differs to WoW's (which I really dislike).

Anywho, just bought it from Amazon! Can't wait, 2-5 days for postage. So, 8-10 days.

Whats missing from SWTOR are social features and a sense of community. There is no reason to communicate with anyone for almost anything if you are in a guild. There are no server forums. There is little community interaction outside of the game itself. The best thing we have is Darth Hater, which is an EXTREMELY shitty version of mmo-champion. There is nobody doing any type of real theory crafting. There is little world PVP happening, there is no reason to have allies and enemies.

World of Warcraft established itself back in Vanilla. This is where the foundation for the community was created. In Vanilla, there was tons of community interaction. Although you could not directly communicate in game. World PVP and eventually BG PVP would spark discussion on the server forums. This would cause rivalries, competition and trading among players in the game.

Having to make friends on your server so you could get to know someone with a UBRS key. Putting together PUG raid groups of 20 people to do UBRS. Guilds joining together to try and tackle Molten Core in blue gear.

TL;DR: Can I have WoW in Star Wars pls?

I don't want this to turn into "WoW in space". Theorycrafting is one of the things that killed WoW. One DPS build, one Heal build, one way to DPS, one way to Heal. You HAVE to do things in a certain way in WoW thanks to your "theorycrafting", otherwise forget raiding. Shitty design breeds shitty ideas.

Madrical

Banned
TL;DR: Can I have WoW in Star Wars pls?

I don't want this to turn into "WoW in space". Theorycrafting is one of the things that killed WoW.

I agree I hate Theorycrafting, but the UBRS key and such stuff was always pretty funny.. at least 3-4 times we'd all be at the doors spamming "WHO HAS KEY!?" when no one had it. After a few times I got sick of it and made a key myself. Heh.

rxdco07

Been playing as Jedi Sentinel on a random server, will prolly join the empire side on the GAF server, any specific class y'all need for the guild?

Well, I played a Rogue (and Warlock) through WotLK, and I would say that they aren't really that similar. The resource doesn't allow them to play like a Rogue during combat. Shadows play more like Rogues do when in open combat, Scoundrels just share more of the opening salvo from stealth with Rogues.

I have to disagree, I have a Jedi Consular Shadow and I don't they really play anything like a rogue. I mean other than that one backstab move. They play more like Shamans if anything. I assume scoundrels play 1:1 like an Operative and Operatives are definitely rogues in open combat, a bulk of Op DPS comes from backstab...in which you need to be behind the enemy much like dagger rogues do in WoW. I can see the comparison between Shadow and say a sword rogue, but Operative is clearly the closest to dagger rogues out of all the classes.

i havent played any other class yet but it is very easy to screw yourself over as IA. Use too many abilities and you wont have the energy to do anything. Dont go at the right speed and you will lose Tactical Advantage. If you dont time TA skills right it might expire while you are casting lol Its much more involved than a Rogue in Wow imo.

I've never had issues with playing Operative and using TA; dart, backstab, shiv, TA lacerate, BS should be back up, Shiv. Repeat, only time I really have energy issues is when I have aggro. It's not complicated or hard at all, its just you actually have to pay attention. It's not a set and forget class or spam X skill until creature is dead class. If people think operatives are complicated then I have lost hope for MMOs progressing past the whole spam X key style of combat. And I hope these people stay far the fuck away from Guild Wars 2 Thieves, they'll hate it.

If the fight is going to be long, then pop stim boost as soon as it's available. Energy starvation is an issue, but lets not make the class out to be some kind of quantum physics class in regards to difficulity. I've seen more people bitch about Marauder playstyles than I've ever seen about Operatives, and I found Sentinel the easiest class to play....granted they're actually all easy.

So I got an Imperial Agent and a Consular to 11 and 10 respectively. It takes a really fucking long time to get there though. Almost certainly longer if you don't group up on Hutta, with more Heroic areas there.

I think the starting planets definitely drag on. Sure, rolling back through as the same class you could definitely speed run it a bit, but it was around 5 hours to 10 for both of them, even as an experienced WoW player.

I know WoW has significantly more levels now, but 5 hours just seems like a long time before even getting access to crafting, your advanced class, PvP, Instances, and all the other stuff on the fleet.

The other thing that's weird to me is the combat. It just seems sort of unresponsive and laggy, especially compared to WoW where you definitely get the visceral feedback. This feels like WoW at 300ms or more almost all the time. Going into cover with the Agent is a particularly noticeable time this occurs. I'm getting closer to 100ms or less ping though, so I'm not sure what's up there.

Top Bottom