• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

erragal

I ran into plenty of PvP on Tatooine and Alderaan. Nothing on Nar Shaddaa though.

We got a small amount of PVP on Tatooine in the last part of the planet quest arc but my friend and I did not see a single republic player our entire time on Alderaan (We do all the side quests/heroics too). Was really shocked by that.

I like how they fixed this, but there is no mention of fixing the invisible flames/eternal flames bug to go along with that very fight. The exploit of pulling him out of his room was one of the only ways to fix that fight so you could beat the boss.

I've had no problems beating this boss in the intended manner. What exactly is the bug people are seeing?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
We got a small amount of PVP on Tatooine in the last part of the planet quest arc but my friend and I did not see a single republic player our entire time on Alderaan (We do all the side quests/heroics too). Was really shocked by that.
Hell, I saw a pack of high level Jedi prowling around the middle of Alderaan on my server when I was there a few nights ago. Prompted some high level Imperials to respond. Escalation, so awesome

But yeah, I guess I've been lucky beign on my server when a bunch of players on both sides happen to be playing in the same area.

I've had no problems beating this boss in the intended manner. What exactly is the bug people are seeing?
I had a group of 4 run through that 2 nights ago, we didn't run into the issue either. I wonder what triggers it.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

You can start burning without any visual indicator. I have done the fight 6 times and 5 of those times there was no visual indication. People just died without the generous start-up time because you wouldn't know where it's safe to be.
Now that I've done it you could probably beat it even if it's glitched as it seems to just switch between two positions.
But if you don't know that and you just instantly die there is nothing you can do.

cametall

I ran into plenty of PvP on Tatooine and Alderaan. Nothing on Nar Shaddaa though.

I'm on Nar Shaddaa now and haven't seen an enemy player either.

I don't like Nar Shaddaa though, so maybe other players share my sentiment towards the planet.

I do hope open world PVP picks up on Tatooine and onwards. In "that game that shall not be named" I was running into world PVP by level 16 or so. I'm level 26 in SWTOR and still haven't seen a Republic player.

I'm on Darth Malak server btw, medium population.

Surprised world pvp doesnt happen on Nar Shadda, seeing how the rep areas easily cross into areas the imps go, unlike other planets where its more spread out. Perhaps the level differences of when what faction goes where is involved?

bengraven

Damn, looks like it's my fault.

For some reason, it downloaded an update right before I got in though, which led me to believe they were down.

I keep getting a server error when I log into my server.

cametall

Surprised world pvp doesnt happen on Nar Shadda, seeing how the rep areas easily cross into areas the imps go, unlike other planets where its more spread out. Perhaps the level differences of when what faction goes where is involved?

Any idea what level the reps get there? Emp seems to get there between 22 and 25.

I enter areas all the time that give me the message "Contested" but never see any reps.

How bad is the grind at higher levels? is it like 1-2% an hour bad or more like 20-30% bad?

There really is little actual grind in the game if your talking about purely grinding on mobs for xp and levels. If you mix it up doing the different things in game, you can quickly level through the game and there is always abundance of quests. Since they made the game very solo friendly, there are lot of quests for a player to do, more than enough. Do group content and you got even more big xp streams coming in. Most players find themselves over leveld for areas and have no issue moving through the content and not stuck searching for quests. Many areas also have optional bonus series of quests that can lead to a big final xp bonus/reward. Space, PVP, and group stuff all give good xp too. You will always be questing and doing stuff and not really ever needing to actually grind.

The speed of leveling does not dramatically change either though it does slow down, but feels gradual and if you keep your character rested up for the double xp, even better.

Jrmint

What a lackluster patch

It's better they make small fixes like this rather than not do it at all, or wait until a big content patch.

Definitely noticed improved fps from the indoor area fix and using the tip from the swtor forums to run the game in compatibility mode for XP service pack 3. The latter I think greatly helped. My loading screens are much faster and much less fps dropoff.

JWong

Banned
There really is little actual grind in the game if your talking about purely grinding on mobs for xp and levels. If you mix it up doing the different things in game, you can quickly level through the game and there is always abundance of quests. Since they made the game very solo friendly, there are lot of quests for a player to do, more than enough. Do group content and you got even more big xp streams coming in. Most players find themselves over leveld for areas and have no issue moving through the content and not stuck searching for quests. Many areas also have optional bonus series of quests that can lead to a big final xp bonus/reward. Space, PVP, and group stuff all give good xp too. You will always be questing and doing stuff and not really ever needing to actually grind.

The speed of leveling does not dramatically change either though it does slow down, but feels gradual and if you keep your character rested up for the double xp, even better.

People, nowadays, consider questing a grind, as dumb as it sounds.

notworksafe

Definitely noticed improved fps from the indoor area fix and using the tip from the swtor forums to run the game in compatibility mode for XP service pack 3. The latter I think greatly helped. My loading screens are much faster and much less fps dropoff.

Interesting. Hadn't considered this an option. Do you set the game exe to run in XP mode or the launcher or both?

Do Sith Inquisitors not have a way to heal themselves? Seems like after every fight I'ms tanding around for 5 minutes waiting for my health to regen, while everyone else I group with just uses some instant heal ability.

So my brother and I found a couple of DPS to do the [Heroic 4] Fathers of Taris quest last night. What a debacle. To finish the quest, you have to kill 10 overseers and find 5 artifacts by breaking open these cases. Killing the overseers was no problem but we destroyed 10 boxes before we found our first artifact. About 5 boxes later and we found our second. Now keep in mind that these boxes aren't exactly abundant. As we're searching for our third artifact, ALL the boxes stopped be interactive completely. The glow went away and we could not click on them. We spent a good chunk of time trying to get it done and then that happened. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed with wasting so much time on it.

So at this point, my brother and I have decided that [Heroic 4]s aren't really worth it. The time it takes to get a decent group together is increasing as the levels go up. We are currently level 36. I tank and he heals. Believe it or not, it's still difficult to grab a couple of DPS to do the heroics and then we have to pray that they know what they're doing.

Maybe I was just really turned off by what happened last night, but we've decided to just skip those heroics. Not enough reward for us when we could be blowing through the other quests or PvP'ing.

Do Sith Inquisitors not have a way to heal themselves? Seems like after every fight I'ms tanding around for 5 minutes waiting for my health to regen, while everyone else I group with just uses some instant heal ability.
Everyone has a regen ability that they can use out of combat. Inquisitors use Seethe.

Seethe? Also, if you go sorcerer for your advanced class, you get heals.

Moaradin

You get a regen ability at level 1 dude lol.

markatisu

How bad is the grind at higher levels? is it like 1-2% an hour bad or more like 20-30% bad?

The only real grind I have experienced is from like 13-17, since then its been pretty much 1-3 levels every night I play

I don't feel like I am grinding at all, outside some of the side missions being completely uninteresting or tedious in their distance back and forth

Derrick01

Banned

I'm at 28 and I don't see a way but it was the same way with rogues in WoW. They're strong enough as it is, if they could heal it would be too much.

Moaradin said:
You get a regen ability at level 1 dude lol.

I was assuming he knew that but reading it again it seems like maybe not lol. I thought he meant a regular healing ability to use in battle.

Moaradin

... you're fucking kidding me, right? So they're going to ban customers because they can't code properly?

That can't be real. Dance zones? C'mon.

That has fake written all over it.

I'm at 28 and I don't see a way but it was the same way with rogues in WoW. They're strong enough as it is, if they could heal it would be too much.

Sith Sorcerers have healing abilities. Assassin(which I imagine is what you're playing?) don't have any healing abilities.

erragal

People, nowadays, consider questing a grind, as dumb as it sounds.

It's confusing. Questing is a grind so people want a return to Sandbox style MMO's where you can do whatever you want. Sandbox MMO's generally require lots of undirected grinding to get the resources you need to accomplish whatever you want.

Either way it's a grind. Some people want their grind to be their choice and other people want it directed...and still other people don't care as long as the systems are well designed and fun (That's me personally).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Finally they fixed the Sith Corruption toggle bug. No more ashy Chiss when I log in.
But corrupted Chiss is the best kind of Chiss.
qrXov.jpg

Like what?

Mostly little touches, references to things established in EU background, lot of suff in Codex entries, the wildlife/enemies found on various planets. Story elements such as House Thul on Alderaan, the Killiks and their connection to the planet, etc. Obviously lot of Kotor references and material which is basically Bioware taking stuff that was established by Dark Horse in the Old Republic era and adding onto it to fit their own narrative... The book that came with the CE also did this with going into the background of the Sith species and adding a bunch of background to that.

Darklord

Banned
This shit is really fucking ridiculous. Bioware fucks up and they ban the player.

That's fake but why are people targeting this game so much for bans? MW3 banned 1600 people just after launch for cheating and exploits and that's alright. Halo and CS and heaps of other give out hundreds of bans for it. Bioware bans a few and people start going "It was biowares fault, how dare they?!".

Top Bottom