• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Owensboro

Yeah, I think that's it for me. I can't play this fucking cunt game anymore. Look, I understand it's an MMO and they have bugs at launch but when a story focused game constantly has BROKEN story lines it just ruins it completely. I spent ages going through a story arc. Probably 6 or 7 quests at least. I get right to the very, very end where you fight an important character and they fall of a ledge, the quest breaks and I can no longer fight then or even get to where they are. Waste of time!

1) Drop quest
2) Get most recent quest again
3) Profit.

Darklord

Banned
Did you try resetting the quest in your log and just trying again? I've been lucky or something as I've never had a quest not able to complete for any reason so far.

Tried resetting the phase, did nothing. Tried relogging, did nothing. And I can't abandon it and retry.

1) Drop quest
2) Get most recent quest again
3) Profit.

Can't. It's at a point where I fight a boss and it won't let me cancel it. Seems like the blast door to get to her is broken.

Zafir

Even with a 50 bracket it won't be that balanced though. If you have a team of level 50s with average gear, and they have a team of 50s with full epics, you don't stand much of a chance since randoms rarely ever listen.

Edit: To add, I've actually seen some non-50s who are actually more use than 50s, because they actually stick with the team and help out with objectives.

I gladly give up my instant Warzones for a little bit more balance.

Things wont be balanced, then you are going to have balance arguments over certain classes being better at twinking and such in different brackets, or how useless they are in specific brackets. PVP and MMO Balance are a never ending cycle of frustration, not a MMO that has gotten out of this.

I wouldn't mind brackets though, but don't think they are needed. Putting lvl 50's in their own separate bracket alone though I think is true and should be done. As my main in my 30's, I am doing very good in PVP, but as usual the 50's are a nightmare who are tearing it up.

Derrick01

Banned
There are literally THREE people in my instance on Alderaan.

This is ridiculous.

If there were less heroic quests in this game then that would be great. Hardly anyone to take your quest mobs or activate the quest items that you need to wait to respawn before getting them yourself.

Does Valor rank serve a purpose? I don't think I've seen any gear with Valor requirements.

At 50 there is gear with valor requirements

If there were less heroic quests in this game then that would be great. Hardly anyone to take your quest mobs or activate the quest items that you need to wait to respawn before getting them yourself.

Happens still, getting stuck on a planet with only 3 people on it is not really normal on a busy server. Doing heroics often run into other groups doing them as well and slowing our progress down.

Patryn

What I wish is that Heroic quests had a different marker, so I could choose to ignore the givers. Instead I walk up to a guy, get a quest and suddenly notice it's a Heroic. Which means I'll probably never do it unless I get a decent group together, which is a rare event (but I will admit, when you get the right group, they can be really fun, even when you end up being the dancing monkey butler of the group that can't help staring at igniting rocket engines).

Garryk

Speaking of titles, do JKs ever get a decent title? Knight of the Republic is a little much. Why do Consulars get the simple, but effective Jedi title?

Owensboro

I have never had a problem getting a group for a Heroic quest. All you have to do is get one and ask in general chat. If no one answers, keep it in your log and keep questing. The instant you see someone ask about that Heroic in general, go do it! If it's a particularly nasty quest (Tatooine Search and Rescue) the you either have to treat it like getting a group for a Flash Point, or do what we did yesterday and just ask in Guild! The GAF guild Republic side has been great for me so far.

Zafir

Speaking of titles, do JKs ever get a decent title? Knight of the Republic is a little much. Why do Consulars get the simple, but effective Jedi title?
Pretty sure they get the Master title when they complete their class questline? Just like my SW got the "Darth" title for completing the class questline.

Won

Things wont be balanced, then you are going to have balance arguments over certain classes being better at twinking and such in different brackets, or how useless they are in specific brackets. PVP and MMO Balance are a never ending cycle of frustration, not a MMO that has gotten out of this.

I wouldn't mind brackets though, but don't think they are needed. Putting lvl 50's in their own separate bracket alone though I think is true and should be done. As my main in my 30's, I am doing very good in PVP, but as usual the 50's are a nightmare who are tearing it up.

That's why I said a "little bit more balance". There won't be a perfect balance of course or even good balance for that matter, but I just had a game in which the highest level player on my team was 31 with all others between level 10 and 22.
The opposing team had several 50 and the lowest level I saw was level 34. That's just nonsense.

Blitzzz

I have never had a problem getting a group for a Heroic quest. All you have to do is get one and ask in general chat. If no one answers, keep it in your log and keep questing. The instant you see someone ask about that Heroic in general, go do it! If it's a particularly nasty quest (Tatooine Search and Rescue) the you either have to treat it like getting a group for a Flash Point, or do what we did yesterday and just ask in Guild! The GAF guild Republic side has been great for me so far.

yay gaf guild! (I was buya in our group :))

apparently we could have pulled last boss out of fire room haha... guess it didn't matter since you guys 2 manned it

joelseph

A lot of people are hard on the instancing, but I check my map a lot when there are less than 10 people on the planet, and it's rarely instanced. A much larger problem is that the worlds are too spread out for their own good.

This x10000

The entire game is stretched too thin.

markatisu

Anyone else have issues in the Republic Fleet with being REALLY slow and stuttering. I can go to every planet fine and FPS is between 60-80. But the last week or so when I go to the Republic Fleet there are times I cannot even move like the game is frozen.

I look up and only see 120-140 people which is about on par with other worlds but no performance issues.

CzarTim said:
A lot of people are hard on the instancing, but I check my map a lot when there are less than 10 people on the planet, and it's rarely instanced. A much larger problem is that the worlds are too spread out for their own good.

Yeah I have no problem with instancing or the amount of people, I actually like the way the game handles it as I don't need 100 people around me. But my god some of the worlds are unbelievably large for no reason. Taris comes to mind as being stretched out with no real point. Its like Tython but even less fun, where as something like Coruscant is a nice size.

Anyone else have issues in the Republic Fleet with being REALLY slow and stuttering. I can go to every planet fine and FPS is between 60-80. But the last week or so when I go to the Republic Fleet there are times I cannot even move like the game is frozen.

I look up and only see 120-140 people which is about on par with other worlds but no performance issues.

Yea fleet is always slow as heck, too many people in a small area. I'm surprised they let so many people into the fleet instance, they should have it set to less people in fleet instance, while increase amount of people in the world instances.

Zafir

I have the same issue in the fleet as I have in warzones. I get 15-20fps, regardless of whether I have it set to low or high settings.

Got this over Christmas, and started playing last week, just got a couple questions for more experienced players.

About ability trees, should I just invest all my points into one section?

Got this over Christmas, and started playing last week, just got a couple questions for more experienced players.

Research and learn the common builds for your character. These will change as nerfs/buffs will come, and players will figure out optimal builds once they get their on combat logs. First of all - decide what you want to do with your character (Heal/Tank/DPS PvE and/or PvP), then apply points accordingly.

I don't get how they got 1 million players - the planets feel barren. My server is Average one (40min wait time no thank you), I'm on Balmorra, and there are 50-60 people here. Approx. 80-120 on Dormund Kaas, etc. Maybe because of spread across different planets, or maybe because the planets are way too big (Balmorra, wtf, Bioware?).

you can invest in anywhere you like but to actually advance up the tree you need to spend 5 points per row. Personally i'm going to focus on one tree until I get the last ability at the top and then go for the other goodies in the other specs

Research and learn the common builds for your character. These will change as nerfs/buffs will come, and players will figure out optimal builds once they get their on combat logs. First of all - decide what you want to do with your character (Heal/Tank/DPS PvE and/or PvP), then apply points accordingly.

Where do you typically look for builds?

Klorox33

Neo Member
There are defiantly streamline issues. I l had 3 quests in a row yesterday with minimal interaction tell me to go to Imperial fleet...Hey Now Go to Your ship...Oh your at your ship now please go to Drummand Kass. They should defiantly clean it up a bit.

Glaring issues affecting the game for me atm are:

Chat window broken for the last 2 days.

Movement and graphic errors. I completed act one yesterday, during the final instance my pet was laying on the floor in between his attacks. This broke immersion of the epicness of the quest slightly...

Broken mail system... Really?

Planets seem empty when you are out questing. I didn't learn that the game was heavily instanced until days before launch.

I am a little scared for the game right now. Age of Conan was fun for the first month too...

All of that aside doing, flashpoints with my guild has been fun when the loot containers actually open and Pvp has been a blast when my unit frames work...

nataku

Cademimu

General Ortol can no longer be pulled out of his room.

I like how they fixed this, but there is no mention of fixing the invisible flames/eternal flames bug to go along with that very fight. The exploit of pulling him out of his room was one of the only ways to fix that fight so you could beat the boss.

It's also extremely annoying they haven't fixed the green light glitch yet. Those things are on nearly every planet and fill my entire screen when I'm near the source of them.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Those 120-140 people are in a much tighter confined space on Fleet as opposed to a planet where they are spread out across a large map. I get some initial stuttering even on my high-end rig on Imperial fleet (saw it go as high as 200+ last night), but once everything loads its playable.
Glaring issues affecting the game for me atm are:

Chat window broken for the last 2 days.
Haven't seen this, have you tried resetting the UI by hitting CTRL-U twice?

Broken mail system... Really?
Dunno what this one is either, have been sending stuff via the mail system to guildmates pretty much everyday.

Planets seem empty when you are out questing. I didn't learn that the game was heavily instanced until days before launch.
Never an issue for me on my server at least. I see too many people actually as far up as Taris (Imp side), making questing harder as people have to wait on the same objectives to respawn. As a result, players have started to form temporary groups so we can all take out the same objectives together and have them count so everyone in the area doesn't have to wait for respawns.

Owensboro

yay gaf guild! (I was buya in our group :))

apparently we could have pulled last boss out of fire room haha... guess it didn't matter since you guys 2 manned it

Best.Group.Ever. I'm still incredibly proud of walking in the room and saying:
"I hope the engines on the ceiling are used during this fight."
"Oh! I was right! Awesome!"
"Oh shit they do a lot of damage, I probably can't outheal that..."
"GET OUT OF THE FIRE GET OUT OF THE FIRE OH GOD."​

Two manning him was just the icing on the cake. Keyes and I are monsters!

I like how they fixed this, but there is no mention of fixing the invisible flames/eternal flames bug to go along with that very fight. The exploit of pulling him out of his room was one of the only ways to fix that fight so you could beat the boss.

The fight is broken? Aside from losing the two DPS to him, we never had a problem with the fight. The big squares on the ground under each jet are just damage zones, including the "walkways" between them. As far as I could tell, as long as you were on grating under a non-firing jet engine you had no problem. You could only run to another platform when the engines were all in the "start up phase" (steam / white smoke jetting from below them) and the boss yelled "KEEP FIRING!" Considering it took us a hell of a long time to kill him (tank DPS + my occasional DOT or grenade when I could spare energy) I'm surprised we didn't come across the glitch at all. Maybe on top of being awesome, we're just lucky (or, alternatively, just really damn lucky).

Patryn

Best.Group.Ever. I'm still incredibly proud of walking in the room and saying:
"I hope the engines on the ceiling are used during this fight."
"Oh! I was right! Awesome!"
"Oh shit they do a lot of damage, I probably can't outheal that..."
"GET OUT OF THE FIRE GET OUT OF THE FIRE OH GOD."​

Two manning him was just the icing on the cake. Keyes and I are monsters!

You guys really are.

Blitzzz

Did this FP with some gaffers last night and didn't see phantom flames. 2 of us died and the tank/healer pretty much killed him themselves inside the room

It's also extremely annoying they haven't fixed the green light glitch yet. Those things are on nearly every planet and fill my entire screen when I'm near the source of them.

I get this a lot.... not sure if it is drivers or their dynamic lighting that messes it up. I just keep shifting my camera view so haven't bothered to look for a fix

erragal

Those 120-140 people are in a much tighter confined space on Fleet as opposed to a planet where they are spread out across a large map. I get some initial stuttering even on my high-end rig on Imperial fleet (saw it go as high as 200+ last night), but once everything loads its playable.

On Death Wind Corridor we've been hitting 280 or so peak on the Imperial Fleet. can't help the stuttering in those situations, but it comes with the territory. Haven't felt like any of the zones are empty at all though the scarcityof world pvp while leveling is probably my biggest disappointment with the game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
On Death Wind Corridor we've been hitting 280 or so peak on the Imperial Fleet. can't help the stuttering in those situations, but it comes with the territory. Haven't felt like any of the zones are empty at all though the scarcityof world pvp while leveling is probably my biggest disappointment with the game.
I ran into plenty of PvP on Tatooine and Alderaan. Nothing on Nar Shaddaa though.

Top Bottom