• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Choc

Banned
That's fake but why are people targeting this game so much for bans? MW3 banned 1600 people just after launch for cheating and exploits and that's alright. Halo and CS and heaps of other give out hundreds of bans for it. Bioware bans a few and people start going "It was biowares fault, how dare they?!".

one major reason is some of the classes are fucking broken right now and this allows you to get past shitty overpowered bosses

so people are using exploits to fix biowares shit balance basically. You should NEVER have to group to beat a class boss in this game according to bioware, but the game is nigh on impossible with some classes if you don't.

In other news teh sniper is so much better than the jedi knight. I love the playstyle. You hvae to think about how you will attack before you and launching sneak attacks is awesome.

Jedi seriously has worst story and gameplay.

Did anyone get the bug during the JK story where Sette is tiny? During the beginning section of that I had a midget Sette. Not game breaking just a little weird.

does this mean i can't /getdown in the pvp wait area? awww :<

edit: i don't think this is fake. Bioware are clearly slapping things quickly once they get found out.
But "Dance Zones." "Dance Zones." That doesn't set off any alarms that this could be fake at all?

Hawk269

What's this about dancing?

Basically if you start dancing when an enemy is attacking you they stop attacking you and basically they dont see you as you are dancing. This opens up your companion to just whale on the enemy. Apparently it can be done with any enemy, even boses. You use the /getdown in teh chat window to start it.

BE WARNED THOUGH: You can get banned for doing this by BioWare so use at your OWN RISK!

JWong

Banned
Freaking CC is a fucking mess in Warzones. CC breaks do jack shit too, cool down is extremely long, and if you do use it, you're likely going to be CCed again in seconds. So freaking annoying, it's pretty single handily ruining any enjoyment I may have had in Warzones.

Sounds like you need to learn about the resolve bar.

Garryk

Any pics of that anywhere?
TnVW5l.jpg

Choc

Banned
bioware has patched it already

TOR Dancing Exploit [Fixed, Doesn't] Get You Banned

By Mike Sharkey | Jan 4, 2012
Making like Kevin Bacon in Footloose in SWTOR doesn't make BioWare laugh.

Update: BioWare has checked in with Massively to claim that the ban story is a hoax created with a doctored image of a ban email. You may safely resume dancing in combat like a fool.

Update 2: The game has now been patched, and dancing will no longer render you immune to damage.

Hawk269

I can't tell who's being serious or not anymore. :/

Even the freakin original Youtube video has in the vid description:

Well I dont know anyone who has used it or anyone that has been banned for it. But I would think if users were using this to defeat high level boses I am sure that BioWare/EA would come down with a ban-hammer pretty hard.

Jarmel

Banned

Update: BioWare has checked in with Massively to claim that the ban story is a hoax created with a doctored image of a ban email. You may safely resume dancing in combat like a fool.

Update 2: The game has now been patched, and dancing will no longer render you immune to damage.

Jesus that was fast.

Also that samurai armor would be more fitting for a Sith Warrior if the armor was black.

Did anyone get the bug during the JK story where Sette is tiny? During the beginning section of that I had a midget Sette. Not game breaking just a little weird.

Yeah, I got tiny Sette advising me about the force and the Jedi council.

The reason is they resize her character for a holocommunication while going into the Temple. However, they don't turn her back after the conversation is over, so I did the entire beginning planet with a midget telling me how the force works, and the dangers of the Sith.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Classic man. I can't beleive something like that exploit got through QA and all the beta testing. Let's see how fast BioWare can fix it.

You can't believe QA didn't attempt to see if you could kill bosses by dancing at them?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

With all the recent reports of people not being able to replicate it, I had the feeling it was quickly patched.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It's also been said that "Ilum exploit" was more banning people suspected of gold farming, rather than people legitimately playing, even if they weren't supposed to be there.

I don't know if this was posted yet but BioWare just released a developer blog about PvP.

New Year's PvP Update

Fellow PvPers, thank you for taking on the challenge of player vs player combat in The Old Republic!

In the first week after launch there were over a million Warzone matches played, with nearly half of all players participating in Warzones. Bad news for Republic players, though - the Empire currently leads overall, having won 53% of all Alderaan Civil War and Voidstar matches (across all servers). Huttball has been played the most, accounting for 39% of all matches – and yes, we’ll be adding a new same faction vs. same faction enabled Warzone in the future.

We are all really excited at the tremendous volume of participation we’ve seen in PvP thus far. Your interest and demand dictates what we’ll be delivering in the near future. I wanted to give you some insight into where we are with PvP development and where we are going.

First and foremost here is what we are addressing as a top priority:

Level 50 Bracket Warzones: Level 50 players will have a bracket of their own, playing in separate Warzone matches to lower level players. This is something we have wanted to do for some time and now that there is an increasing number of level 50 players we will be implementing the feature in January.

Open World PvP on Ilum: The planet of Ilum currently allows for open world PvP even on a PvE server, but the mechanics and incentives of the planet are not in as intended yet. We’re working on longer term goals for the planet and for other PvP areas, but expect to see some interim adjustments in January - such as more respawn points to focus conflicts, restricting Companion Characters from the area, and revisions to rewards. Ilum will also become a major source of Valor. Valor buffs will increase and decrease based on the objectives your faction owns. These buffs increase the amount of Valor you receive per player kill. However they do not give anything in and of themselves, so players will still need to defeat other players for significant Valor rewards. Additionally, daily and weekly missions will require player kills to complete. Player kills for quests and Valor credit will have diminishing returns per player killed. So, the more players that are fighting other players, the better it is for everyone.

Combat Gameplay: You’ll see several optimizations come online in January, and we are going to continue to tune this as time goes on.

We also have other exciting features coming in the near future including Ranked Warzone Matches, PvP Stat Tracking, Open World PvP Loot Drops, more Warzone medals for different objectives, Guard Optimizations and Target Optimizations.

Additionally we’re looking at ways to enable team vs. team, more level brackets and the ability to choose which Warzone you want to play in.

This is not a complete list of everything we’re working on that’s PvP related, but we have to keep some surprises for later! Thanks again for all your feedback and please keep it coming. We read as much as we can then cross reference with metrics to take action on features and tuning the game to ensure an enjoyable and competitive PvP community.

Gabe Amatangelo
Principal Lead PvP, Operations & Flashpoints Designer

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
bought it, installed it, set it up then connected to a server and BOOM! apparently my laptop cant handle the game.....uhhh such a waste.

Can You Run It........you let me down, crushed my dreams

EDarkness

More Spaceballs than Star Wars...

In my opinion, the artists working on this game have no idea what to do with armor. My Jedi looks like she's wearing a jogging suit or robes. I guess they don't have much to go on from the movies since most Jedi and Sith dress modestly overall. However, you'd think these guys would be a bit more creative about the style more than anything else. I think trooper and some bounty hunter gear looks good, but a lot of the other gear is poorly designed. I really hope it gets better. Why can't we have the Luke Skywalker look from Empire Strikes Back, or how about the Luke look from Return of the Jedi. It doesn't have to be that exact outfit, but something in that vein would be cool. What they have now isn't that good.

One of the things I'm really disappointed with.

Great to hear about the PvP changes. I love how many things they have planned already and how fast they are implementing them. It is like turn key almost for them.

Xiaoki

In my opinion, the artists working on this game have no idea what to do with armor. My Jedi looks like she's wearing a jogging suit or robes. I guess they don't have much to go on from the movies since most Jedi and Sith dress modestly overall. However, you'd think these guys would be a bit more creative about the style more than anything else. I think trooper and some bounty hunter gear looks good, but a lot of the other gear is poorly designed. I really hope it gets better. Why can't we have the Luke Skywalker look from Empire Strikes Back, or how about the Luke look from Return of the Jedi. It doesn't have to be that exact outfit, but something in that vein would be cool. What they have now isn't that good.

One of the things I'm really disappointed with.

It would have REALLY helped if BioWare had not removed the "match color to chest" option. The armor would still look bad but atleast it wouldn't be a rainbow mess.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Great to hear about the PvP changes. I love how many things they have planned already and how fast they are implementing them. It is like turn key almost for them.

Yeah, before TOR launched my MMO of choice was AoC and it's nice to read a blog post like that where they list all this stuff they're planning to implement and I keep reading the word "January". A similar set of changes in Conan would contain the phrase "in the coming months" heh

Won

I hope they take a good look at the current Warzone mechanics too. They need a lot of work.

CzarTim said:
Isn't it orange? Take the mods out and put it in whatever.

Currently not viable with level 50 gear.

TheYanger

Isn't it orange? Take the mods out and put it in whatever.

None of the best gear in this game is orange, rendering the whole 'orange moddable look gear!' system moot. Needs a fix imo. Haven't seen all of the empire sets, but only the trooper gear looks REMOTELY good for republic.

Realyn

Just did Hammer Station. Was pretty boring, almost no conversations :/

Yeah said that yesterday or so. Hammer Station was a real letdown comparred to Esseles for me. Next one will get better tho.

Edit: Specially the last boss in Assith or whatever its called. First "real" tough longer fight.

erragal

hawt

Now nerf Inq/Sage

That's going to be a tough one because I don't feel their damage is overpowered at all; in fact I believe they're right around where they want DPS damage to be. Merc/Commando and Sniper/Gunslinger DPS is probably a little high if anything.

Sorcerer/Consular just have so much utility to go along with that DPS that it becomes very dominating. The real fix for PVP is to put static barrier as a talented ability but that will put a damper on their low level soloability.

TheYanger

That's going to be a tough one because I don't feel their damage is overpowered at all; in fact I believe they're right around where they want DPS damage to be. Merc/Commando and Sniper/Gunslinger DPS is probably a little high if anything.

Sorcerer/Consular just have so much utility to go along with that DPS that it becomes very dominating. The real fix for PVP is to put static barrier as a talented ability but that will put a damper on their low level soloability.

Snipers/gunslingers aren't even that problematic. It's assassin/shadow and Operative/Scoundrel dps that is absurd.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Started up a Sith Warrior today named Nraw (my JK is named Warn), haven't run into any GAF empire folks yet, hope to soon. I'll be a double agent ;)

CzarTim

Currently not viable with level 50 gear.

None of the best gear in this game is orange, rendering the whole 'orange moddable look gear!' system moot. Needs a fix imo. Haven't seen all of the empire sets, but only the trooper gear looks REMOTELY good for republic.

That's a shame. IMO all gear in game should have been modable. Don't give away fully modded gear, and make the mods the real meat of the game.

Owensboro

I came across an interesting graphical glitch last night. It seems that the new chest piece I got on Tatooine yesterday overwrites just the chin portion of my character's beard for some reason.

Owensboro with old gear:
AY6NS.jpg

"Lemmy Kilmister" Owensboro with new gear:
nkj47.jpg

I'm not upset. Oh no, I'm quite happy that it is now proven that Goggles > Beard. I Usually go for the most ridiculous outfit I can find, and this is right up my alley.

P.S. I ordered new computer parts today. I can't freaking wait for them to come in. I'm tired of this game looking like garbage.

Top Bottom