• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Very good post. Too bad the thread was locked.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=9124

That person fails at reading comprehension.. Stephen specifically said that "adding a lot of players in a short period" constitutes a stress test, which is not what they are doing. i.e. they aren't trying to break their servers.. they are adding smaller numbers of people (hence waves) to make sure that they can hold up instead of just continually throwing more people at them by opening the flood gates.

I don't understand why people are bitching about this.. the whole process is a queue.. and people that pre-ordered late or didn't register their codes are going to have to wait.

I pre-ordered last week and I fully understand that I'm at the back of the line. Opening the floodgates at once can and will cause their servers to crash, their login servers will fail and people won't be able to access the forums to bitch about the game not working..

I don't see how suffering horrible lag, client crashes, server crashes, rollbacks and all of the other things that come with a full-on everybody-at-once launch is a preferable situation to the staged roll-out that they are doing now..

Zinga

Banned
I think people have a right to complain about grace period, but not about early access. We have been given an extra 2 days, and honestly this is the best way to do it for launch... someone has to go last, if you wanted in earlier you should have pre-ordered earlier.

That person fails at reading comprehension.. Stephen specifically said that "adding a lot of players in a short period" constitutes a stress test, which is not what they are doing. i.e. they aren't trying to break their servers.. they are adding smaller numbers of people (hence waves) to make sure that they can hold up instead of just continually throwing more people at them by opening the flood gates.

I don't understand why people are bitching about this.. the whole process is a queue.. and people that pre-ordered late or didn't register their codes are going to have to wait.

I pre-ordered last week and I fully understand that I'm at the back of the line. Opening the floodgates at once can and will cause their servers to crash, their login servers will fail and people won't be able to access the forums to bitch about the game not working..

I don't see how suffering horrible lag, client crashes, server crashes, rollbacks and all of the other things that come with a full-on everybody-at-once launch is a preferable situation to the staged roll-out that they are doing now..

People that are okay with it are either inexperienced with MMOs or are busy enough to not be bothered by it. I'm not saying that the mindless rage is justified, but neither is apathy.

Again, their servers should be able to withstand the kind of traffic that would've hit on the 20th without EA. So the explanations are: avoiding overcrowding, reducing queues, etc. All things that most people would put up with because they are accustomed to this stuff on MMO/Expansion launches. If not, wait until a month or so after release and play in solitude/peace.

I really balk at the idea that the reason for the waves is a deterrence of "horrible lag, client crashes, server crashes, rollbacks, etc.". It's 2011 and we're going to see that same kind of traffic hit on the 20th or whatever day that all the preorders make it in on anyway. Bioware's either prepared for that or they aren't.

Miletius

Very good post. Too bad the thread was locked.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=9124

It's just one person crying because they didn't get in with the rest of their guild. I mean, I understand where they are coming from (it sucks to be left out) but the whole bit about not being able to kill the world boss on some planet because they aren't of the right level and that nobody will be around for them to do it later reeks of entitled whining.

Then he proceeds to (poorly) deconstruct the original post and make logical leaps that bear no merit. Just because you can articulate a point well doesn't mean the point is right in any way, shape, form, or fashion.

Finally the first bit where he preemptively lets Bioware off the hook by attributing the current situation to EA (where in reality he knows nothing about the situation) is just sickening and demonstrates his inability to think rationally about this subject.

People that are okay with it are either inexperienced with MMOs or are busy enough to not be bothered by it. I'm not saying that the mindless rage is justified, but neither is apathy.

Again, their servers should be able to withstand the kind of traffic that would've hit on the 20th without EA. So the explanations are: avoiding overcrowding, reducing queues, etc. All things that most people would put up with because they are accustomed to this stuff on MMO/Expansion launches. If not, wait until a month or so after release and play in solitude/peace.

I really balk at the idea that the reason for the waves is a deterrence of "horrible lag, client crashes, server crashes, rollbacks, etc.". It's 2011 and we're going to see that same kind of traffic hit on the 20th or whatever day that all the preorders make it in on anyway. Bioware's either prepared for that or they aren't.

How the early access was going to work has been known for a while.

macewank

I think people have a right to complain about grace period, but not about early access. We have been given an extra 2 days, and honestly this is the best way to do it for launch... someone has to go last, if you wanted in earlier you should have pre-ordered earlier.

i actually disagree about having a right to complain about the grace period. i'm not sure what part of the mmo-model makes consumers feel entitled to these kinds of things. you're already playing for a week for free .. does it suck? sure. does it matter? nope.

gatti-man

So those who want a quality experience should wait a month? No. Staged access is much better.

Emitan

i actually disagree about having a right to complain about the grace period. i'm not sure what part of the mmo-model makes consumers feel entitled to these kinds of things. you're already playing for a week for free .. does it suck? sure. does it matter? nope.

Months ago Bioware said there was a grace period. Then they removed all mentions of it from the website and said there wasn't a grace period. People have every right to be angry when they were lied to.

Woorloog

Banned
Does Armstech have good endgame stuff (that is, do we know about them yet)? I hate grinding instances and raids so i'd like to craft good stuff for myself.

Thematically Slicing, Diplomacy, Investigation and Underworld Trading would fit an Imperial Agent excellently but will it be profitable to choose three of those?
Besides, it looks like i'm going to need a lot of gifts for companions...

Cybertech's ability to craft speeders is intriguing but are they BoP or BoE? If BoE, i won't bother with that one.

Dakota47

After my first evening with SWTOR I am giving it a thumbs-up. I have played up to level 8 and it's been fun so far. Being able to properly play a role in an MMORPG is more fun than I would have imagined. I'm going Dark Side all the way and it is pretty neat to actually make 'meaningful' choices for your character in stead of just making up some lame RP back story. For the rest it is pretty much World of Starwarscraft, a bit like RIFT in the sense that it is a good clone. Right now I can see myself playing this game until after the first free month, but we'll see in January how that goes. Not committing yet.

Btw my dude, a Jedi Consular who will in time be a healing Sage.

nTleH.jpg

JWong

Banned
Months ago Bioware said there was a grace period. Then they removed all mentions of it from the website and said there wasn't a grace period. People have every right to be angry when they were lied to.

I doubt people wouldn't be angry if they just flat out say no grace period from the beginning.

People want free stuff. They'll complain about anything.

IcedTea

Pfft, you think you're entitled to the truth?!

Emitan

I doubt people wouldn't be angry if they just flat out say no grace period from the beginning.

Well one of the problems is people based their purchasing decision around a grace period. I'm sure many more people would have bought from Origin if they had known about this. Plus we had no idea it would be releasing in the busiest mail week of the year.

I read your post and responded to it. If its so easily shot down maybe you should rethink your argument.

By that logic (note that I'm speaking hypothetically), staged access provides "quality experience" to those who preordered early. The number of people playing will increase until everyone is in, probably a few days before the 20th. So staged access provides a "quality" experience for what, a day or two?

You seem to have the idea that staged access is some sort of panacea for how many people are logged on at the same time. My point is that, regardless of how many people Bioware let in yesterday, lets in tomorrow, or the day after, within no time at all we'll be in the same situation as if they let in everyone today.

NeoGAF as a whole has issues with responding to posts that are in the middle of a discussion without consideration of context.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
What is this grace period people are talking about?

I think how long you can play before entering a key. Guess after early start, you need a key on the 20th to keep playing. With the holidays gonna be hard for online ordering people to get it day 1.

Woorloog

Banned
I think how long you can play before entering a key. Guess after early start, you need a key on the 20th to keep playing. With the holidays gonna be hard for online ordering people to get it day 1.

Ah, i see. I should be seeing the activation key on Origin on 20th, right? And i dearly hope it is not used on swtor.com... I doubt that site is online on 20th for a moment :/

Warnen

Ah, i see. I should be seeing the activation key on Origin on 20th, right? And i dearly hope it is not used on swtor.com... I doubt that site is online on 20th for a moment :/

20th or a few days before I assume. Think it will be unlocked via swtor.com like the perorder stuff

gatti-man

By that logic (note that I'm speaking hypothetically), staged access provides "quality experience" to those who preordered early. The number of people playing will increase until everyone is in, probably a few days before the 20th. So staged access provides a "quality" experience for what, a day or two?

You seem to have the idea that staged access is some sort of panacea for how many people are logged on at the same time. My point is that, regardless of how many people Bioware let in yesterday, lets in tomorrow, or the day after, within no time at all we'll be in the same situation as if they let in everyone tod

NeoGAF as a whole has issues with responding to posts that are in the middle of a discussion without consideration of context.

Its not neogaf in this situation, you are just incorrect. In starter levels having a log jam of people makes launch annoying and unpleasant. This gives players a chance to spread out and enjoy the content. It also gets rid of ques and other annoyances. It serves everyone but those who feel entitled to extras others earned.

Its not neogaf in this situation, you are just incorrect. In starter levels having a log jam of people makes launch annoying and unpleasant. This gives players a chance to spread out and enjoy the content. It also gets rid of ques and other annoyances. It serves everyone but those who feel entitled to extras others earned.

Zones are instanced, overcrowding in that sense should never happen. I'd much rather sit in an hour queue and play tonight when I have time as opposed to a few days down the road when I might not.

"Extras others earned"? Earned is a strong word friend.

Sent

Looking at this stream, starting area is barren. I guess that is just good instancing?

Oh also now servers are all reading as "light" instead of "full."

And Frey does bring up a good point. What is the point of rolling if on teh 20th (for instance) they will be capped out with people. It's just a slower way of getting to the same point? (Not trying to troll)

FINALBOSS

Banned

And what extras has anyone earned? By pre-ordering the game before me?

The day the preorders were first accepted they said those who enter their preorder codes first will be the first to get early access. That was why I quickly entered my code the second amazon sent it. Why has it come to such a surprise now that it's happening?

Jarmel

Banned

People wouldn't have cared if they hadn't decided to launch on December 20th. You know the busiest damn week of the year for mail. Also the launch is relatively limited so for people in red zone countries, they could be out for two weeks.

Seriously it amazes me that people have such a hard time understanding where other people are coming from.

vilmer_

Look at this stream, starting area is barren. I guess that is just good instancing?

Oh also now servers are all reading as "light" instead of "full."

And Frey does bring up a good point. What is the point of rolling if on teh 20th (for instance) they will be capped out with people. It's just a slower way of getting to the same point? (Not trying to troll)

Was watching streams earlier and noticed the same thing - there's virtually no one around. There were a bunch of people in chat saying it's a ghost town. I don't think that many got in today.

JWong

Banned
People wouldn't have cared if they hadn't decided to launch on December 20th. You know the busiest damn week of the year for mail. Also the launch is relatively limited so for people in red zone countries, they could be out for two weeks.

Seriously it amazes me that people have such a hard time understanding where other people are coming from.

Same deal with any other game if you don't take into account that TOR can let you play for FREE several days before launch.

Giolon

Was watching streams earlier and noticed the same thing - there's virtually no one around. There were a bunch of people in chat saying it's a ghost town. I don't think that many got in today.

The most people I ever saw on one planet during the day was 121 (keep in mind that's single faction, semi-segregated starter area). Bioware may have let in 10,000s or 100,000s but they're spread over tons of servers, and contrary to what people around here might think, most people do have to work during the day. I'm interested to hear the numbers from the evening (like now), but I'm not going to be back into the game until late tonight.

Sent

The most people I ever saw on one planet during the day was 121 (keep in mind that's single faction, semi-segregated starter area). Bioware may have let in 10,000s or 100,000s but they're spread over tons of servers, and contrary to what people around here might think, most people do have to work during the day. I'm interested to hear the numbers from the evening (like now), but I'm not going to be back into the game until late tonight.

I doubt there is really that many people on even if it is "peak" time. I think BW went super super conservative. Not sure why, the Beta had 0 lag issues or crowding issues for me.

Warnen

Yeah they should let jobless bums like me play!

markatisu

I figured it was the work issue as well, I got in at 8am and only because I work at noon was I able to log in 1hr or so. Only now that I just got home and eat dinner will I get to play again

gatti-man

Zones are instanced, overcrowding in that sense should never happen. I'd much rather sit in an hour queue and play tonight when I have time as opposed to a few days down the road when I might not.

"Extras others earned"? Earned is a strong word friend.

Earned yes. As in i played by the rules, was there day 1 and reap the rewards. Simple as that. Overcrowding does happen but not for this launch. Im glad it wont be a clusterfuck like vanilla wow.

Sent

http://www.twitch.tv/shift_tv Also a good stream

Earned yes. As in i played by the rules, was there day 1 and reap the rewards. Simple as that. Overcrowding does happen but not for this launch. Im glad it wont be a clusterfuck like vanilla wow.

Eh I'm not so sure. I mean did you "earn" it more than people who ordered in August? I wasn't following the game when it was up for pre-release so I am less of a fan because of it?

Top Bottom