• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Mims

I always wonder who actually fell for tactics some companies use when they say you can earn up to $40,000 a year or car commercials that say lease as low as $199. Now I know.

I got in on the first wave, everything is amazing and butter smooth, Bioware has done a great job with Day 1 of Early Access :)

Just wait until all the pre-orders are in.

For what it's worth, I'd be surprised if much overwhelmed their servers like patch days of old. This wave business feels more than a little unnecessary.

FINALBOSS

Banned
I got in but can't play cause of error code 7. Logged in on my friend's pc the game works fine :(.

Any idea what this is? Now you're starting to scare me. Saw someone else post about this on the official forums.

Can I have some details on your system

EGG

Neo Member
The only thing I kind of take issue with, they didn't really say it would be done in waves. Maybe they did... but it was under the giant EARLY ACCESS ON THE 13TH sign... in small print.

I've been following this game through their site, I was in closed beta, a close friend of mine has been following it even closer and It wasn't just until the other day after reading about it here on GAF that I realized we probably wouldn't be playing today. Imagine how the people who's only real 'research' was pre-ordering after seeing the ad that said the 13th in big ol' star wars gold. Those are the same people who would be pissed enough today (and rightly so) to login into the official forums and type in all caps.

While I'm not getting all upset that I'm not getting in, I fully understand the hate the a lot of people are sending their way... and I think they kind of deserve it.

Really? Because I remember it being advertised for the 15th, not the 13th

B-Dex

Any idea what this is? Now you're starting to scare me. Saw someone else post about this on the official forums.

Can I have some details on your system

Well the 2 beta waves i got in i had the Remoterenderer.dll error and couldn't play so I bet Bioware found the problem and just put that fake error msg in just to block it until they get a real fix. Cause it isn't a windows error its some lame looking fake error window pop up they made themselves.

I'm using win xp 32 bit but it seems people on all kinds of os were getting the same problem.

FINALBOSS

Banned
According to people already in-game, the server browser thing on the SWTOR website stating tons of servers are "FULL" is wrong. People on these servers are reporting that it's actually low-mid.

Well the 2 beta waves i got in i had the Remoterenderer.dll error and couldn't play so I bet Bioware found the problem and just put that fake error msg in just to block it until they get a real fix. Cause it isn't a windows error its some lame looking fake error window pop up they made themselves.

I'm using win xp 32 bit but it seems people on all kinds of os were getting the same problem.

Ah...I'm on Bootcamp in Windows 7 64 bit hopefully I'm good. Never played beta--gave it to another friend to play.

Hari Seldon

According to people already in-game, the server browser thing on the SWTOR website stating tons of servers are "FULL" is wrong. People on these servers are reporting that it's actually low-mid.

Bioware is cooking that website server thing so people who haven't gotten in aren't pissed.

Ricker

So after one day of invites,they are up to July 24th...?wow,so basically anybody pass August can probably forget about early start,way to go...didn't they know that before hand? why didn't they make more servers so everyone who pre-ordered can get in?...

WarMacheen

Ah...I'm on Bootcamp in Windows 7 64 bit hopefully I'm good. Never played beta--gave it to another friend to play.

Of course it's not full, percentage wise, of the entire preorder population only a fraction actually got in today.

erragal

Bioware is cooking that website server thing so people who haven't gotten in aren't pissed.

Now this is a theory I like. Maybe the strategy is one of psychological manipulation: find a way to make everyone that's about to play your game really irritated so that when they finally do everything seems better than it is.

Brilliant!

Kud Dukan

So after one day of invites,they are up to July 24th...?wow,so basically anybody pass August can probably forget about early start,way to go...didn't they know that before hand? why didn't they make more servers so everyone who pre-ordered can get in?...

Considering how many people preordered the first few days you were allowed to, I'm not surprised they only made it that far. It'll speed up farily quickly once they get past July.

Moaradin

At the very beginning of pre-orders, which started on July 21st, we had a massive influx of pre-orders. A huge spike. After that, things settled down. As a result, today especially, you're going to see a fairly narrow band of dates from those admitted to Early Game Access. From tomorrow, it'll spread out to a wider date range.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=10630#edit10630

oktarb

Logged in this morning after getting my email and got all the names I wanted. yes some are lame but they have history for me in almost every MMO.

Inquisitor (couldn't believe I got this)
Insidious (or this)
Sorrow
Ransack
Sarlac
Father

Guesong

My real beef is that they're saying "Well, we reached our 5th wave for today, so that's it folks!".

Wait, what? Why is there even a "cap" to wave per day? Just send waves, all day long, as soon as you've seen the servers are still stable.

Yes, they opened up EA 2 days before the "normal" date, and yes, they may have warned people it would be done in waves, but that does not excuse nor explain why they're limiting themselves on a daily basis. It's a hugely anticipated game launch, and yet I feel like they're treating it in a ultra-corporative way.

Someone get the fun back in there.

vilmer_

I've been watching a bunch of different streams and there definitely seems to be low activity. Seems really barren.

Sent

Watching Swifty stream....there's no tab targeting in this game?

That would be just silly.

Hey everyone.

We absolutely understand you want to get in and play the game early. It's one of the reasons we expanded our Early Game Access from a maximum of five days to a maximum of seven days. However, there are a couple of important points to realize about today's opening salvo of invites, and the procedure in general for Early Game Access and launch.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch.

For us, launch isn't just about stuffing our servers with as many people as possible. As anyone who's been through a large MMO launch can tell you, that experience can be painful. Our aim with this launch was to ramp things up gradually, to spread our player population out amongst a variety of servers, to maintain all server types, and to keep queuing to a minimum (although we expect that to happen as we head towards December 20th). So far, all that has been successful for us on Day One.

The second thing to realize is scale. We invited more people to play Star Wars: The Old Republic today than many other MMO launches manage in their entire head-start process. As I mentioned earlier today, when we opened pre-orders we had a huge spike in numbers - far more than most MMOs capture at launch. That was the initial rush. After that, our pre-orders settled down.

What this means is that tomorrow, you'll effectively start to see the pre-order timeline expand. You'll see people who have pre-ordered later than July getting invites. The day after that, more people will be invited. We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday - at which point we'll be into the original 'five days of Early Game Access'.

Last thing. Why aren't we continuing to send waves over time? Two main reasons - one, because we need to see that the servers are maintaining stability over time; adding a lot of players in a short period (in other words, stress testing) can cause stability issues.

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and role out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together.

Our aim is for Star Wars: The Old Republic to be around for a long time to come. Today's just the first step in that - an early step, too - and we'll be running smoothly, with a stable population, before too long.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=66561&postcount=6438

FINALBOSS

Banned
No more waves today....and it's only 4pm EST.....

I would have rather have everybody in with queues and shit..people wanna lock their names down...and some people will be logging in already seeing 40+ leveled dudes.

hgplayer1

Need to remember also that even though the servers are not packed with players it might be because people are at work (like me) even though they have access. Should be interesting to see what the servers look like tonight.

Sent

Wonder why they are starting at 9AM EST tomorrow and not 7AM. Things you think about while not playing. :p

Need to remember also that even though the servers are not packed with players it might be because people are at work (like me) even though they have access. Should be interesting to see what the servers look like tonight.

People also have to realize that the game uses instanced zones. Your area might not seem packed, but that is not indicative of the server load as there are limits per number of players in a zone before a new instance is made.

WarMacheen

Lol, that huge ass thread on swtor forums talking about early access was just closed.

This was the only response

Hello everyone!

We have completed the Early Access waves for today, and will post another thread regarding waves tomorrow when they begin. We encourage you to express your thoughts, but ask that you please observe the forum guidlines when posting.

Thank you!

Lol thanks genius everyone in that thread already knew that.

cametall

Was really hoping to get in today or tomorrow, but I guess that wouldn't happen seeing as I pre-ordered on December 1st... I'm going to be out of town from the 15th to the 19th T_T

Sooo has anyone had any dreams involving Star Wars because of their anticipation? Like you're Darth Maul hunting down Jedi, but you're such a lame-ass version of Darth Maul you can't even operate your double-bladed lightsaber? ... because I definitely have NOT had those types of dreams .. heheh... heh...

markatisu

Lol, that huge ass thread on swtor forums talking about early access was just closed.

This was the only response

Hello everyone!

We have completed the Early Access waves for today, and will post another thread regarding waves tomorrow when they begin. We encourage you to express your thoughts, but ask that you please observe the forum guidlines when posting.

Thank you!

Lol thanks genius everyone in that thread already knew that.

That was the only answer they could have given, not sure why everyone on that board expects some kind of personalized response detailing the plans for this rollout. I am shocked it stayed open as long as it did lol

Reid posted about Early Access
Hey everyone.

We absolutely understand you want to get in and play the game early. It's one of the reasons we expanded our Early Game Access from a maximum of five days to a maximum of seven days. However, there are a couple of important points to realize about today's opening salvo of invites, and the procedure in general for Early Game Access and launch.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch.

For us, launch isn't just about stuffing our servers with as many people as possible. As anyone who's been through a large MMO launch can tell you, that experience can be painful. Our aim with this launch was to ramp things up gradually, to spread our player population out amongst a variety of servers, to maintain all server types, and to keep queuing to a minimum (although we expect that to happen as we head towards December 20th). So far, all that has been successful for us on Day One.

The second thing to realize is scale. We invited more people to play Star Wars: The Old Republic today than many other MMO launches manage in their entire head-start process. As I mentioned earlier today, when we opened pre-orders we had a huge spike in numbers - far more than most MMOs capture at launch. That was the initial rush. After that, our pre-orders settled down.

What this means is that tomorrow, you'll effectively start to see the pre-order timeline expand. You'll see people who have pre-ordered later than July getting invites. The day after that, more people will be invited. We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday - at which point we'll be into the original 'five days of Early Game Access'.

Last thing. Why aren't we continuing to send waves over time? Two main reasons - one, because we need to see that the servers are maintaining stability over time; adding a lot of players in a short period (in other words, stress testing) can cause stability issues.

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and roll out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together.

Our aim is for Star Wars: The Old Republic to be around for a long time to come. Today's just the first step in that - an early step, too - and we'll be running smoothly, with a stable population, before too long.

cametall

People also have to realize that the game uses instanced zones. Your area might not seem packed, but that is not indicative of the server load as there are limits per number of players in a zone before a new instance is made.

Is General Chat shared between instances? During beta I got into a group that seemd like half of us were in one instance and the other half in a different instance. The game did not bring us into the same instance. At the time no one in the group was aware there were different instances of the same zone.

If that was what caused our issue at the time that is.

Top Bottom