• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

bill0527

So. What does everyone think of the game so far?

Seems more polished than the beta weekend I did over thanksgiving.

I played a JK sentinel to level 14 in beta. Today I decided on a bounty hunter which I've leveled to 10 and a sith inquisitor to level 5.

Graphically it's better because I just learned how to edit a file to enable AA.

I haven't had any bugs after playing 5-6 hours today.

Lag was non-existent for me. I live in Indiana and I'm playing on a west coast server and my latency ran 91-98ms constantly. I had an occasional spike up to 120ms, but it came back down quickly.

Dare I say that the game seems pretty damn polished. At least in the starter areas I've been playing in.

I just hit 10 on my BH and I've got some PvP questions. Do they break it out into level brackets like they do in WoW? If I enter a war zone pvp, what is the max level of enemy I would run in to?

So i tried to log in today and it won't accept my password. The same password I've been using since beta. So when I tried to change my password, the page times out.

*sigh*

gyrspike

Neo Member
My question is why did they let so few people in today.

The Thanksgiving weekend beta had over 750,00 people who logged in. And it went pretty smoothly. Only a couple of server actually had waiting times and they were short.

Wallach

Stephen posted this regarding the PvP problem:

Stephen Reid said:
Hey all - while we have no definitive update on this yet (that'll come tomorrow, I hope, after our investigation concludes) I did want to point out one important thing.

There have been some suggestions of characters running around on servers in the 30-40 range today. We have the metrics here, and the highest level character as of 30 minutes ago is considerably lower level than that.

Again, we take this seriously, and we're looking to see if this is an exploit that we need to rectify - but don't let rumor and speculation run too rampant.

It's about what I expected.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm quite happy to see that Amazon update. My order had always shown Dec 20 as the estimated delivery, but it's nice to have solid confirmation that I should have uninterrupted play from this weekend onward.

I was pretty close to cancelling out again. However, my GF is going to be out of town until min-january, so this game is launching at a perfect time. :lol.

My thinking is that by the time she gets back, my toon will be in great shape and I won't need to play as obsessively. :ahem

Edit: God damn, I am downloading the new client fast. Thank you new 30/15 connection.

It's a character the guy puts on, but that Jabba impression is still gold.

I lol'ed so hard at that part. Actually, now that I think about it I won't be able to play until the 16th due to previous promises.

I'm going to go trooper. My 6 days of vacation the 22nd through 27th can't come quick enough!

Can anyone comment on healing as a trooper past lvl 10? I played a few toons in beta, but nothing past 10.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
soo another question, what would be the best crew skill combo for a commando trooper?

Dhx

Could someone with Early Access do me a quick favor?

I'm trying to find out where the East and West Coast servers are located. In beta, I seem to remember seeing an ip address attached to my default server when digging around in the config .ini files. (USER\AppData\Local\Swtor\retailclient?) I was hoping this could possibly be used to look up the physical host location of the server.

Does anyone with Early Access see this information, and if so, is it useful for this purpose? If not, any ideas on gleaning the physical locations of their server farms?

Thanks, guys.

Could someone with Early Access do me a quick favor?

I'm trying to find out where the East and West Coast servers are located. In beta, I seem to remember seeing an ip address attached to my default server when digging around in the config .ini files. (USER\AppData\Local\Swtor\retailclient?) I was hoping this could possibly be used to look up the physical host location of the server.

Does anyone with Early Access see this information, and if so, is it useful for this purpose? If not, any ideas on gleaning the physical locations of their server farms?

Thanks, guys.

Keller's Void is he1065n01.swtor.com or 159.153.64.219

Trickster

Argh, I'm about to choose my trooper advanced class, and I can't decide! The heavy cannons that commando's get are so awesome looking, I really want one. On the other hand the vanguard also appeals to me because it can tank. What to choose what to choose...

Heysoos

Hey guys, quick question. I currently have the client on my desktop. If I want to also put it in my laptop (M11X) in case I occasionally want to play from there, I just have to redownload the client there right? I don't have to buy the game twice or anything like that? Seems like a stupid question but I've never really played MMOs besides Rift and that was on my laptop only.

Rizzo

Hey guys, quick question. I currently have the client on my desktop. If I want to also put it in my laptop (M11X) in case I occasionally want to play from there, I just have to redownload the client there right? I don't have to buy the game twice or anything like that? Seems like a stupid question but I've never really played MMOs besides Rift and that was on my laptop only.

Correct, just copy the files over to the laptop and you're good to go.

It's like steam. You can install as many copies as you want, but you can only be logged into one at a time.

Wallach

If you have a drive large enough, you can just copy the entire installation and move it. The installation is portable.

Wallach

Wait, can I literally copy files over from my Desktop to laptop for the game? Doesn't seem like a safe way to install it. :eek:

It is safe, it's designed to be a portable installation. Just keep the same folder structure when copying it over, it will not cause any problems.

Rizzo

Wait, can I literally copy files over from my Desktop to laptop for the game? Doesn't seem like a safe way to install it. :eek:

Yep. You can run the installer first and then copy the files over (instead of redownloading everything) if you want to be safe.

Dhx

Keller's Void is he1065n01.swtor.com or 159.153.64.219

Awesome, thanks Tim.

OrgName: Electronic Arts, Inc.
OrgId: ELECTR-60
Address: 209 Redwood Shores Parkway
City: Redwood City
StateProv: CA
PostalCode: 94065
RegDate: 1992-04-29
Updated: 2011-09-24

Keller's Void is listed as an East Coast server. Ping from Baton Rouge, LA for me was 57 ms. Ping for a friend in LA, CA was 89 ms.

Could we possibly get a few more people to list IP/Server Name or ping Keller's Void? A west coast server IP would be most helpful.

Ah so good. Having a great time with it, they polished it up nicely since beta. Running much better, and they seemed to have improved many of the old blurry textures. Still not perfect but looks better than before in many places. Lot of bugs I had in beta seem to have be cleared up as well. Looking good EA/Bioware

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
thanks for the answers. It appears I don't have that folder, heh
Replace the second "user" in the OP with whatever your Windows username is. It also won't be created until you launch the game for the first time in case you're only pre-loaded and don't have early access yet.

Only thing im upset about is why stop at 1:30pm sending invites if everything was going smoothly, a have checked a lot of streams and the world seems dead because of lack of players.

Hawk269

Only thing im upset about is why stop at 1:30pm sending invites if everything was going smoothly, a have checked a lot of streams and the world seems dead because of lack of players.

I am sure there are going to be alot of people invited tomorrow though. It seems to be going really smooth, so it would make sense to let alot more in. I think they are just trying to really avoid the crush that the 20th will present itself and on the 25th when alot of folks will be receiving the game as a xmas gift.

Out of all the servers, I saw only 1 listed as "heavy" for population. A ton of medium and about a dozen showed light.

Thoraxes

Awesome, thanks Tim.

OrgName: Electronic Arts, Inc.
OrgId: ELECTR-60
Address: 209 Redwood Shores Parkway
City: Redwood City
StateProv: CA
PostalCode: 94065
RegDate: 1992-04-29
Updated: 2011-09-24

Keller's Void is listed as an East Coast server. Ping from Baton Rouge, LA for me was 57 ms. Ping for a friend in LA, CA was 89 ms.

Could we possibly get a few more people to list IP/Server Name or ping Keller's Void? A west coast server IP would be most helpful.
From Chicago, IL i'm getting:

Minimum: 38ms
Maximum: 46ms
Average:41 ms

As for the tracert I ran, it only needed 16 hops.

For people who want to help but don't know how:

Open your start menu
In the bar, type cmd
Right-click, select run as administrator
In the prompt, type: ping 159.153.64.219

cody

I was the 89 from Los Angeles.

Anyone got IPs for any of the West Coast servers so we can compare east/west pings?

Won

After not being able to get a full group together for Esseles I'm actually thinking about skipping some days of this early access thing. :/

Just found out we're on an East Coast PvE server for my guild.

120px-Awesome_hurr_hurr.png

Top Bottom