• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
all this talk about how every crafting prof sucks is making me think, are profs like this in other MMO's (some really useful and others have no point in lvling) Like in different MMO's are there only really 2 main profs that people take?

I would probably disagree on this point. The game is balanced so that anyone in garbage gear can cakewalk through it. I don't see the point in modding leveling gear. Perhaps if I got an epic item that would be good for 10 levels I might, but everything else just gets replaced so quickly.

Did you do any flashpoints or heroics at the recommended level? It sure doesn't sound like it.

Patryn

all this talk about how every crafting prof sucks is making me think, are profs like this in other MMO's (some really useful and others have no point in lvling) Like in different MMO's are there only really 2 main profs that people take?

Speaking for myself, I can at least say that Armstech isn't really worth it, and I'm a Trooper.

The problem is that orange gear means that most of the weapons you can make are pretty useless, as your orange gear will be better. And the only mod for orange gear you can make are barrels.

I think Armortech has the same problem, in that it only produces one class of mod.

I'd drop it for Cybertech if I wasn't already at 250 in both it and Investigation.

Basically, the profs that produce lots of mods are the preferable ones.

border

Did you do any flashpoints or heroics at the recommended level? It sure doesn't sound like it.

No, so I'll bite. Are the flashpoints impossible to complete without modding your gear extensively? If they can't be completed by groups in a mix of greens and blues I'd argue that there is something wrong with them.

I've got so many things sucking credits out of my bank account (professions, skills, ship upgrades, trading missions) I'd really rather not worry about running off to buy a new set of mods everything I change out a piece of gear.

Tacitus_

Gathering professions have always been better moneymakers than crafting professions, since most people are willing to sell their goods for only slightly more than the cost of materials.

But crafting gets you a bind-on-pickup set of epic gear, and at some point crafters will probably get the same stuff they had in WoW. Special exclusive mods/enchants and the ability to make important crafting materials (on a long cooldown).

At some point in an MMO, money becomes utterly useless because there is no way to improve your character with it. You've bought all the BoE equipment and mods/enchants that you can......and everything else that will make you better is BoP. Taking up crafting is part of getting the buffs you can't get with money.

The thing is, Biochem and Cybertech are crafting professions. And the rest of the crafting professions absolutely pale in comparison. I've got Biochem on my main and in a few days I'll have the reusable adrenal (565 rating of your choice every 3mins), reusable medpack (5-6k heal with 2k HoT) and a reusable stim (136 primary stat and 56 secondary stat). I'll also be able to craft epic implants as soon as I get the reverse engineering proc.

No, so I'll bite. Are the flashpoints impossible to complete without modding your gear extensively? If they can't be completed by groups in a mix of greens and blues I'd argue that there is something wrong with them.

I've got so many things sucking credits out of my bank account (professions, skills, ship upgrades, trading missions) I'd really rather not worry about running off to buy a new set of mods everything I change out a piece of gear.

You get mods as quest rewards too, you know.

Not impossible. It would be very challenging though, but you said "cakewalk" which a lot of the heroics are certainly not, especially with garbage gear and at level for the content.

I would probably disagree on this point. The game is balanced so that anyone in garbage gear can cakewalk through it. I don't see the point in modding leveling gear. Perhaps if I got an epic item that would be good for 10 levels I might, but everything else just gets replaced so quickly.

It doesn't sound like you get what modding gear is all about. It's not enchanting like in WoW. You're not spending money keeping the stats of the gear updated either. You can play through the whole game with a piece of orange gear you like the look of and keep the stats up to date with mods you get as quest rewards or mods that you buy with commendations. You can either do that or keep replacing quest greens with quest greens. In my experience, keeping your orange gear updated with just commendation and quest reward mods will keep your gear with better stats than most quest greens. The "point" is to look how you want to look. I got a PVP set at level 40 that looks kind of like white Bobba Fett armor so I kept using that all the way to 50. On my Assassin, I got some black robes I thought looked cool, so I just kept modding that instead of replacing it with ugly greens.

Tacitus_

Anyway, on topic of mods:

hFr1c.png

The crystal I bought, the hilt was from daily commendations, the mod from a heroic daily and the enhancement from a heroic daily.

border

You get mods as quest rewards too, you know.

Unless there's a piece of gear that is a big improvement, I always opt to take the Commendation as a reward instead of the gear/cashbox/mod. My reaasoning being that I can always buy the mods I refuse elsewhere, but commendations cannot be purchased.

Oni Link 666 said:
You can play through the whole game with a piece of orange gear you like the look of and keep the stats up to date with mods you get as quest rewards or mods that you buy with commendations.

That just doesn't sound like any fun to me. Changing looks and seeing new gear is a cool part of the leveling experience. It's exciting to see a new lightsaber with better stats drop -- it's less exciting to buy a new +50 Endurance mod to keep old gear relevant.

I suppose it's a nice alternative for people that want to roleplay or have a consistent look though.

Anyone can use any color crystal regardless of faction. Color crystals are restricted to Dark and Light side alignments. Blue and Green are Light only and Red is Dark only. Orange is neutral.

Tacitus_

That just doesn't sound like any fun to me. Changing looks and seeing new gear is a cool part of the leveling experience. It's exciting to see a new lightsaber with better stats drop -- it's less exciting to buy a new +50 Endurance mod to keep old gear relevant.

I suppose it's a nice alternative for people that want to roleplay or have a consistent look though.

I kept upgrading most of my gear through leveling. Kallig's orange gear looks fucking cool.

Unless there's a piece of gear that is a big improvement, I always opt to take the Commendation as a reward instead of the gear/cashbox/mod. My reaasoning being that I can always buy the mods I refuse elsewhere, but commendations cannot be purchased.

You get commendation drops in heroics...lol

So if you're a Jedi and got some cool brown robes and look like Obiwan and a neon purple robe with green stripes down the back with +5 Endurance and +5 Will Power, you'll take it and be in heaven?

nataku

Getting new gear is normally a fun experience, but the vast majority of gear I get is a low res mess. I'm still using one of the very first orange chest pieces a smuggler gets because it's the best looking one that doesn't have too many low res textures on it. I've found a couple that could look better if they upped the texture resolution significantly, but who knows when they'll fix what is causing the texture bug. If it's even a bug in the first place.

Moaradin

It's even more fun collecting all the mod gear so that if you feel like wearing something different, you can and not be gimped for it.

border

You get commendation drops in heroics...lol

The planet commendations come from quest rewards and random drops off of mobs.

What's more fun about power-leveling to 50? Running heroics or LOLOLOL-ing at the people who aren't there yet?

Oni Link 666 said:
So if you're a Jedi and got some cool brown robes and look like Obiwan and a neon purple robe with green stripes down the back with +5 Endurance and +5 Will Power, you'll take it and be in heaven?

I just want to see different gear that's out there as I level, though I largely make decisions based on stats. If something was truly hideous it might make a difference but I've yet to run into anything embarrassingly stupid.

Patryn

What I'm waiting to see is people mixing and matching orange class gear.

Like I'm thinking of making a Jedi Knight, but I'm tempted to mail myself some of my Trooper's Orange gear and run around looking like a trooper but wielding a lightsaber or two.

Won

Like I'm thinking of making a Jedi Knight, but I'm tempted to mail myself some of my Trooper's Orange gear and run around looking like a trooper but wielding a lightsaber or two.

Plenty of people running around with body type #3 Commandos with Jedi Knight capes. Looks badass. I don't think there is anything that tops that.
I just hope they fix up the mod system quickly on level 50 gear. Too much cloning already going on.

Agkel

Not entirely sure what the argument here is on PvP Gear on WoW (yes im lazy and only read 1 page back), but I max weekly cap conquest points in less than 45 min every tuesday after reset, doing Arenas 2's. And Honor point (used to buy lesser pvp items) is really not that hard to obtain, even if you are losing constantly on BGs.

I was omw to 2.2k on my ret pally but dropped team before my sub ended on Jan 2nd.

Blitzzz

do what you want while leveling, it doesn't really matter either way. Some people like one cool piece of gear and others don't need to look like they came out of a movie. What's the big deal?

I make/had enough credits stashed from slicing so I can pick something I like and mod it every few levels to stay relevant. But I also have no problems wearing a pink cape if that is the best gear while I'm stuck on a planet :p

Now to the level 50s, are op gear unmoddable? or are they already socketed with better mods than you can craft/buy? Do they have empty augment slots?

I'm trying to understand if there are anyways to improve end-game op gear ala gem/enchants or if they are the best they can be already

So, yesterday I had a level 4 Inquisitor on the fleet and was going to go back to Korriban, but took the Hutta shuttle by mistake. Now I'm stuck on Hutta and can't take the shuttle out of there. It's been almost 24 hours now. I don't have the fleet pass spell yet. I put in a ticket last night, but still nothing. :(

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So, yesterday I had a level 4 Inquisitor on the fleet and was going to go back to Korriban, but took the Hutta shuttle by mistake. Now I'm stuck on Hutta and can't take the shuttle out of there. It's been almost 24 hours now. I don't have the fleet pass spell yet. I put in a ticket last night, but still nothing. :(
Have someone buy a fleet pass and mail it to you?

Tacitus_

Now to the level 50s, are op gear unmoddable? or are they already socketed with better mods than you can craft/buy? Do they have empty augment slots?

I'm trying to understand if there are anyways to improve end-game op gear ala gem/enchants or if they are the best they can be already

Haven't done any ops yet, but some of the hardmode drops are moddable.

Xiaoki

the worst is when they pick the good choices in groups. I mean why did you pick a sith if you're going to be a pansy good guy? Or maybe I'm just role playing too much.

My Sith Inquisitor has a green light saber and "the Pure" title Mr Cliche Bad Guy

Patryn

Level 4? Can't you get to level 4 in like an hour? Reroll?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
the worst is when they pick the good choices in groups. I mean why did you pick a sith if you're going to be a pansy good guy? Or maybe I'm just role playing too much.

Or maybe they are role playing? It's perfectly acceptable and reasonable to be a 'good guy' Sith. In fact, these guys are more real the ridiculous comical villainy of everyone else in the Sith Empire. Guys like this want power and are ruthless against people who have wronged them, but they may also have sympathy for the underdogs or the weak. The Sith Inquisitor starts out as a slave, for example, so it wouldn't be crazy to expect that he has some apathy for others that were in his situation.

You can be a nice guy, but still reject the Jedi philosophy that all emotion must be suppressed.

Blitzzz

JK with smuggler pimp cape with lightsabers....you know you want to

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Think I'm gonna cancel for a few months. I've finished both of the operations in both normal and nightmare modes, done all the flashpoints in hard mode multiple times, a full set of champion pvp gear, full Rakata/Columni, maxed out crew skills, and a shitload of money. As it stands there just isn't much to do in endgame and what is there, isn't very difficult.

I want to start an alt pretty bad, but I have a feeling that I'll regret it once they release the legacy stuff.

Blitzzz

There's no bank on Hutta.

get a cybertech to summon you? seems like a lot of work to get of the planet haha

why can't you get on the shuttle again? bug?

Think I'm gonna cancel for a few months. I've finished both of the operations in both normal and nightmare modes, done all the flashpoints in hard mode multiple times, a full set of champion pvp gear, full Rakata/Columni, maxed out crew skills, and a shitload of money. As it stands there just isn't much to do in endgame and what is there, isn't very difficult.

I want to start an alt pretty bad, but I have a feeling that I'll regret it once they release the legacy stuff.

wow, yeah sounds like you might as well just stop until an expansion or content patch comes out

Soroc

Yeah I would take a break for awhile. Nothing wrong in doing so. You just really burned through all they had to offer pretty quickly.

Hopefully as we approach the official "month" of launch we will get a better idea of their content update.

Moaradin

There is gonna be new raid content this month apparently. Keep an eye out for that. It will also be bundled with bracketed pvp also I imagine.

do you guys think if I add 4 gigs of Ram to my laptop it will help at all?

as it stands now I can play with about 22-30 fps and indoors it drops to 8-12 fps.

Top Bottom