• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Yeah I would take a break for awhile. Nothing wrong in doing so. You just really burned through all they had to offer pretty quickly.

Hopefully as we approach the official "month" of launch we will get a better idea of their content update.

I think the most disappointing part of it all is that aside from the final boss of Eternity Vault, none of the nightmare mode stuff is remotely hard. Even then, the only hard thing about the fight is that the traps you need to kill have about eight times as much health as they do in hard mode.

Most of the endgame gear doesn't even really require you to raid unless you want the Rakata stuff. You get a piece of Columni gear from the final bosses of hard mode flashpoints, and the champion pvp gear you can get from dailies is comparable to Columni as well.

Either way, can't wait to come back to the game once more content's out.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
get a cybertech to summon you? seems like a lot of work to get of the planet haha

why can't you get on the shuttle again? bug?
Pretty sure low level players aren't even supposed to get to Fleet until they reach a certain story point. At least for BHs and IAs on Hutta. I remember not being allowed to use the Hutta shuttle until I reached the right point for my IA.

JWong

Banned
Pretty sure low level players aren't even supposed to get to Fleet until they reach a certain story point. At least for BHs and IAs on Hutta. I remember not being allowed to use the Hutta shuttle until I reached the right point for my IA.

Hmm, I always use the Fleet Beacon when I reach 10 regardless if I'm done with the place or not.

KePoW

Banned
I think the most disappointing part of it all is that aside from the final boss of Eternity Vault, none of the nightmare mode stuff is remotely hard. Even then, the only hard thing about the fight is that the traps you need to kill have about eight times as much health as they do in hard mode.

Most of the endgame gear doesn't even really require you to raid unless you want the Rakata stuff. You get a piece of Columni gear from the final bosses of hard mode flashpoints, and the champion pvp gear you can get from dailies is comparable to Columni as well.

What content would you personally want though? Just more raiding WoW-style?

re post for the new page in case anyone missed it.

do you guys think if I add 4 gigs of Ram to my laptop it will help at all?

as it stands now I can play with about 22-30 fps and indoors it drops to 8-12 fps.

thanks in advance.

Soroc

Thats pretty surprising, usually launch mmo's have overtuned bugged out raid content (since usually this early the hardcore are the only ones consuming it

I guess its better then non-beatable encounters and bug broken bosses though!

re post for the new page in case anyone missed it.

do you guys think if I add 4 gigs of Ram to my laptop it will help at all?

as it stands now I can play with about 22-30 fps and indoors it drops to 8-12 fps.

thanks in advance.

Well, it can't hurt. How much do you have now? Also, remember there are problems with the game right now that will get better as they keep patching. Are you using shadows? They mentioned something about low FPS indoors while using shadows in the notes a few days ago.

erragal

Pssht to all your color crystal arguments. This is the weapon of a real Sith.

Screenshot_2012-01-06_18_00_37_500300.jpg

Screenshot_2012-01-06_18_00_31_238942.jpg

Ryu

ITT: people not getting what "useless at max lvl" means. So, you can craft gear that's equivalent to hardmode flashpoint drops. Good for you. After everyone is running those, your profession is useless outside of maybe selling something to new guys. Biochem and Cybertech will always be relevant since they give reusable consumables.

*Shrug* the game isn't static. Never will be. New recipes, patterns, tweaks - anything is possible in a few patches. It's the nature of the beast. As you get better stuff, your professions become less useful. Consumables will always have the benefit of being needed as they disappear with use. Benefit of orange crafted gear though is that it could look really cool and still be relevant with new introduced mods. I think it's a great system.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
What content would you personally want though? Just more raiding WoW-style?

Unless they go in a completely different direction the operations are going to continue to be geared towards more casual players. That's fine, but in the long run the hardcore raiders are going to eventually either quit, or go to a different game.

On the other hand, I'd like to see what they have planned for space gameplay. As it stands they have a couple of missions that get recycled at higher levels and a pretty dull ship customization mechanic. I'd love to be able to be able buy (from players) or craft new ships, have craftable paint schemes (these could be done similar to the companion customization slot), or have upgrades shown visually on your ship.

I think that one of the biggest problems in the game right now is being able to get the champion gear from dailies and the Columni / Tionese gear from hard mode end bosses. I for example got 4 pieces of my champion pvp set just by completing two quests and opening the bags it gave. While it's great and all for people to get pvp gear easily, it completely invalidates the centurion gear, which you get tokens for as an alternative to the champion gear from bags. It's about the same for the raiding gear. Having the gear drops overlap between operations and flash points is just weird and takes the excitement and prestige out of having a full raiding set.

Thats pretty surprising, usually launch mmo's have overtuned bugged out raid content (since usually this early the hardcore are the only ones consuming it

I guess its better then non-beatable encounters and bug broken bosses though!

Oh, don't get me wrong, there are tons of bugs. Sometimes the columns that you need to smash Soa with in order to dps him will go right through the floor and not hit him, and sometimes he'll randomly evade and despawn. It's possible for him to glitch and mind trap someone in-between phases, resulting in them falling to their death once they get freed. Not only that, but the pylon fight has a glitch that allows you to continually repeat it to get unlimited gear and sometimes the pylons will bug if you don't turn them at the same time meaning you have to exit out and reset. Karagga's Palace is pretty bugged too. Bonethrasher will glitch out and not despawn after a wipe, causing him to oneshot everyone upon re-entering the area, meaning you have to reset the instance and clear trash after every wipe.

Well, it can't hurt. How much do you have now? Also, remember there are problems with the game right now that will get better as they keep patching. Are you using shadows? They mentioned something about low FPS indoors while using shadows in the notes a few days ago.

I currently have 4 gigs and I do have shadows off. I suppose i will just got for it and see what happens.

So playing Trooper, I met someone early on that I ended up semi-romancing (read: had sex with) does that kind of set me in stone with this woman? I have no idea who I'll meet in the next 2 and a half acts. I just want to avoid any drama that might ensue if there are more interesting options later on, as this character was pretty blah and I just went with it for the sake of it being a videogame, lol.

KePoW

Banned
Unless they go in a completely different direction the operations are going to continue to be geared towards more casual players. That's fine, but in the long run the hardcore raiders are going to eventually either quit, or go to a different game.

On the other hand, I'd like to see what they have planned for space gameplay. As it stands they have a couple of missions that get recycled at higher levels and a pretty dull ship customization mechanic. I'd love to be able to be able buy (from players) or craft new ships, have craftable paint schemes (these could be done similar to the companion customization slot), or have upgrades shown visually on your ship.

Ok, as far as expanding the space gameplay, that would be great and I totally agree.

But I don't know if more WoW-style raiding is what the mass casual subscribers want. I think they need to do something different.

Veitsev

So playing Trooper, I met someone early on that I ended up semi-romancing (read: had sex with) does that kind of set me in stone with this woman? I have no idea who I'll meet in the next 2 and a half acts. I just want to avoid any drama that might ensue if there are more interesting options later on, as this character was pretty blah and I just went with it for the sake of it being a videogame, lol.

Romancing NPC's during quests and the like doesn't hold any real long term consequences. It won't affect any possible companion romances. Those depend on affection rating.

Soroc

Oh, don't get me wrong, there are tons of bugs. Sometimes the columns that you need to smash Soa with in order to dps him will go right through the floor and not hit him, and sometimes he'll randomly evade and despawn. It's possible for him to glitch and mind trap someone in-between phases, resulting in them falling to their death once they get freed. Not only that, but the pylon fight has a glitch that allows you to continually repeat it to get unlimited gear and sometimes the pylons will bug if you don't turn them at the same time meaning you have to exit out and reset. Karagga's Palace is pretty bugged too. Bonethrasher will glitch out and not despawn after a wipe, causing him to oneshot everyone upon re-entering the area, meaning you have to reset the instance and clear trash after every wipe.

Interesting, thnx for the feedback. First I've really heard on the endgame raids as I haven't really been paying attention. Sounds par for the course then :)

erragal

Here's what they should do: Highly scalable incentivized endgame story flashpoints. Each class has a custom flashpoint (8) that is oriented to their specific story. Make it scalable of to four people with decently tuned difficulty for endgame. As you add people each player is guarenteed a drop from each of the major bosses/encounters (Could easily do 4 to 5 in each). Quality of gear improves as you add players and the difficulty goes up.

Keep the focus on the four player groups and really encourage people to tackle the hardest content. Operation/Raid size groups do allow for more complicated fights but I'm not convinced small group encounter design is a completely barren area for challenging strategy/tactics/tuning.

Romancing NPC's during quests and the like doesn't hold any real long term consequences. It won't affect any possible companion romances. Those depend on affection rating.

Yea I think IA's get to "romance" someone to keep their mouth shut on the starting world and SW get the same on Droman Kaas. All that will happen is that your companions will be disgusted at you in a single line of dialog, no long term ramifications that I know of :p

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yea I think IA's get to "romance" someone to keep their mouth shut on the starting world and SW get the same on Droman Kaas. All that will happen is that your companions will be disgusted at you in a single line of dialog, no long term ramifications that I know of :p
Only if the companion is present. You can always dismiss them beforehand. ;P

the worst is when they pick the good choices in groups. I mean why did you pick a sith if you're going to be a pansy good guy? Or maybe I'm just role playing too much.

Have you played the original KOTOR? Its the whole Revan character concept. I know that's what I am doing.

TheYanger

Then you obviously don't know that 12 days (cloaks, bracers, shitty stuff) to 34 days (weapons) of dailies to get a single piece of gear in WoW unless you play hardcore ranked Arena.

http://www.wowhead.com/currency=390

5 hours of PVP for a pvp item? I guess you haven't played WoW.
zBiSn.png

Seriously? You don't even know what you're saying any more. It takes 12 days to get a pvp item in wow if you ONLY do the daily and pretend you get no other points?

Then you link the HIGHER level points, rather than the honor that you literally have dripping from your orifaces that gets you pvp gear. Then you say it's 80 hours of pvp.

None of this shit is related.

In star wars terms, the daily:
A) takes 3 times as many wins
B) Bugs out and actually takes 5 times as many wins
C) only rewards a bag with a 20% CHANCE at an item (this is a guesstimate, not sure the real percent but it's under 25 I'd wager).

So basically, 5 wins, if you're just doing the daily, in wow gets you a single piece of HIGHER level pvp gear. In this game, 5 wins gets you a 20% chance at a single piece of lower tier pvp gear, or a pity prize that is like 1/30th of a MEGA LOW tier piece of pvp gear. Then once you get max valor rank you get to do it all again for the ACTUAL pvp gear, and it's even less of a chance and you can't supplement it with any amount of grinding for points.

I would have an entire set of honor gear in wow in the amount of pvp I've done in this game already, yet I've instead got 2/3 of a set, and 1/3 of ANOTHER set with slightly different stats cause I just get dupes. GG.

EZ mode raiding = yes please. Hardcore raiders can go elsewhere.

Space mission = yes please. Great fun.

Ok, as far as expanding the space gameplay, that would be great and I totally agree.

But I don't know if more WoW-style raiding is what the mass casual subscribers want. I think they need to do something different.

I would think people would want more story content via Flashpoints, but then official forums are full with ppl whinning about add-ons and combat log, which makes you think everyone wants "WoW in space".

Izayoi

Banned
I guess you haven't played WoW.
Who cares? This game isn't WoW, why should we be have to accept awful grinds? There's a reason I didn't play WoW past vanilla.

Right now it's a crap shoot. I would be fine at a rate of two pieces per week. That's still over a month of PvP to get the medium-tier set, without being a stupid lottery like it is now.

Your perceived definition of "hard" and "easy" have clearly been warped by whatever Blizzard was forcing down your throat.

JWong

Banned
Who cares? This game isn't WoW, why should we be have to accept awful grinds? There's a reason I didn't play WoW past vanilla.

Right now it's a crap shoot. I would be fine at a rate of two pieces per week. That's still over a month of PvP to get the medium-tier set, without being a stupid lottery like it is now.

Your perceived definition of "hard" and "easy" have clearly been warped by whatever Blizzard was forcing down your throat.

Sure, and I sure wish there was a button that makes me automatically level 50 with the best gear possible.

Easy Mode Derp

Kalnos

Banned
Interesting, they acknowledged the ability delay problem. I don't think that I will play the game for a long time but outside of the UI that is probably the most crippling flaw in the game so it's good to see they're taking feedback seriously.

Warzones
Level 50 players now participate in their own Warzone bracket and will not be matched with lower-level players.

Excellent, now I don't have to fight premades of my own faction anymore. :p

Izayoi

Banned
1.1 patch notes are up.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=141695

Rejoice at the return of Anti-Aliasing? :lol
Still no fix for the texture bug though.

Also.

PvP

Battlemaster Gear Tokens have been converted into Battlemaster Commendations, which can be used to purchase any Battlemaster gear. This allows players to purchase any piece of gear instead of requiring them to purchase the piece indicated by the token.
Battlemaster Bags now contain Battlemaster Commendations instead of Battlemaster Gear Tokens. They still also contain Champion Commendations.
Thank fuck.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Just finished Taris. i loved the look of the place, i loved the KotOR specific lore, and although the planets storyline didnt really grab me at first i ended up being satisfied with it. It was different than the other ones which was good. i enjoyed the teaming up with Thana at the end and am curious to see if shell pop back up around later.

The class quest stuff started off really interesting and although it remained competent throughout the planet it didnt really get exciting until the very end on the ship. The premise of whats going on (besides the really cool thing) is pretty cool. i love feeling like an infiltrator and choosing what i believe would get the most favor with my mark (the stuff on Balmorra was a really good example of this.. sabotaging the mission but making it look like it was just bad luck.. it felt very Burn Notice or Leverage which was good).

Anyway, the end really rocked and i am charged to continue. im halfway to 40 and although another planet awaits i think ill check out what auctions are up for sale and get my 40 PvP gear. i love this game.

Still no fix for the texture bug though.

Also.

Thank fuck.

What bug? Did it come out that the low res textures are a result of a bug? I just assumed it was bioware pushing the game out and not having them turned on. Talking about the obvious difference in conversation textures vs. actual gameplay textures btw.

And yeah nice change for the bags, wonder why its only battlemaster bags though.

Dina

Jaxo? No, but you will meet her later on, and some more after that.

Izayoi

Banned
What bug? Did it come out that the low res textures are a result of a bug? I just assumed it was bioware pushing the game out and not having them turned on. Talking about the obvious difference in conversation textures vs. actual gameplay textures btw.

And yeah nice change for the bags, wonder why its only battlemaster bags though.
Its not really a bug though
So... not having hi-res textures in the game is WAI?

That's... weird?

Top Bottom