• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

ksimm

Haven't played since Dec 23rd, thought I'd have a nice break. Nice to see the Tombs queues have died down a bit!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Also, I rolled Sith Inquisitor, unaware how popular it was. It was the class closest to a WoW warlock, which I loved playing. It's weird, because at least at launch, warlock was one of the least popular WoW classes for years. Oh well!
Its popular because its a really powerful class, if not the most right now. Sage/Sorcerer has everything atm.. great damage, great heals, great mitigation, escape powers, godly CC and slows.

Derrick01

Banned
Heroic 4 areas are so poorly designed. Two of them on Tatooine are only available after you finish the main portion of quests there and start Bonus Series. Terrible design, not going to waste 1-2 hours looking for group, got my ass to Alderaan, almost lvl 32.

You're going to hate Alderaan. There's quite a few heroic quests and some of the 4 man ones are tougher than any of the flashpoints I had done prior to doing that. Insufficient staff is a ridiculous quest and it was hard enough to find a full group for it (need a tank and healer for that, we had 3 over-leveled dps and a healer and got destroyed).

Impressions of the game and potential now we're 2 weeks after release?

I'm really enjoying the game. I'm greatly enjoying the sith inquisitor storyline and the starting planet of the Imperial Agent was enjoyable.

I'll be paying for 1 month after my free month ends but depending on my financial situation I may need to take a month or two break. It has nothing to do with the game itself, just my money situation. Plus I hope more and more end game content comes soon because I have 0 interest in PvP (out of the 4 heavy years I put into WoW I only pvp'ed maybe .1% of my total play time). I wouldn't mind seeing mid level content put in either, like new mid level planets as well as max level ones.

Jarmel said:
So now Healers are selling themselves for Heroics?

Get the fuck out of here.

That wasn't uncommon on my WoW server. Tanks and healers were at a premium there and after an hour of looking for a group in general chat someone would eventually offer to run it for money.

Jarmel

Banned
That wasn't uncommon on my WoW server. Tanks and healers were at a premium there and after an hour of looking for a group in general chat someone would eventually offer to run it for money.

That's absolutely fucking ridiculous. People now have to be paid to do their role in a game?

TheYanger

That's absolutely fucking ridiculous. People now have to be paid to do their role in a game?

No, they're going to do stuff anyway, but if 40 people want to group with 1 person, they have every right to decide that money is a good way to decide who they go with.

Derrick01

Banned

Capitalism's great isn't it? Snakes saw an opportunity to exploit money and they pounced.

I don't like it either but waiting an hour to do a dungeon got old as a DPS person. I can see why some of us cracked and paid, but I never did it. That being said I was also in a strong guild.

Jarmel

Banned
No, they're going to do stuff anyway, but if 40 people want to group with 1 person, they have every right to decide that money is a good way to decide who they go with.

Then there is something fundamentally wrong with that game design. People knew this was a problem in WoW and didn't bother to mention this when TOR announced what they were doing? Even still the self-centeredness attached in a video game is ridiculous.

Wallach

Then there is something fundamentally wrong with that game design. People knew this was a problem in WoW and didn't bother to mention this when TOR announced what they were doing? Even still the self-centeredness attached in a video game is ridiculous.

You can't "fix" that with game design unless you prevent humans from playing it.

Juice

I'm a Jedi Shadow and I just got Tharan (healing companion)

Two questions:

- How do I generate threat to keep mobs off him? He dies half the time

- Can I gear him up or something even though I just got him? We struggle to take on a same-level champion.

eznark

Banned
That was the impression I got from the early access that it was very much a standalone game, rather than a MMO. BH Tank with a Medic Companion meant I didn't really have much need for other people.

Story was great, however. Gameplay was decent. Just wasn't sure on spending £9 to keep playing it beyond the 30 days.

Right now it feels like a really good $60 game with a bunch of $15 expansion packs (the classes I'm not currently playing). Looking at it that way, I'm more than happy to keep resubbing. The BH story is engaging and the side quests are good. That it isn't a fully featured MMO yet doesn't really bother me. I'll hit 50 in a few weeks and start a new class. It's kind of perfect for the way I play.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
All you people bitching about needing to play with other people, should
1. not play a MMO
2. Learn to be more social if you are going to play a MMO
3. Play with friends -.-

The whole money thing comes from old content that people are tired of doing and not feeling like doing it again for no gain. Being properly social or having friends lets you avoid that type of crowd.

I'm a Jedi Shadow and I just got Tharan (healing companion)

Two questions:

- How do I generate threat to keep mobs off him? He dies half the time

- Can I gear him up or something even though I just got him? We struggle to take on a same-level champion.

Tharan has been my companion of choice since I got him.

Few Things:
1. Expand his ability bar, he has a stance called "Med Watch" that isn't switched on by default. Switch it on. It increases healing and reduces CD on his heal spells.
2. He becomes even more better in his 30s as he gets a 8 second Holiday CC used every 30 seconds.
3. Do Gear him up, you get companions without implants, ear pieces, etc. Cunning is his primary attribute.
4. If you are going tank threat shouldn't be a problem. If DPS, Tharan will be able to keep himself alive for a while even if 2-3 mobs are on him. Just DPS them down quickly. Or usually, hit the mobs 1-2 times and they will start attacking you.

Dunlop

The amount of quests I have that I cannot abandon is geting insane to the point where I have to go back to planets I have outleveled to waste hours to clear them.

Why can I reset the quest but not abandon outright? I do not like being dictated how I need to level in this game.

I've pretty much abandoned flashpoints and PVP (ok PVP because it is horribly broken without a 50 tier), forcing me to do all these f-ing quests with endless bonus quests is giving me less content to explore when I would roll an alt. I really do not need to see everything on my main

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The amount of quests I have that I cannot abandon is geting insane to the point where I have to go back to planets I have outleveled to waste hours to clear them.

Why can I reset the quest but not abandon outright? I do not like being dictated how I need to level in this game.

I've pretty much abandoned flashpoints and PVP (ok PVP because it is horribly broken without a 50 tier), forcing me to do all these f-ing quests with endless bonus quests is giving me less content to explore when I would roll an alt. I really do not need to see everything on my main
You cant abandon quests?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
what are the tiebreakers for huttball? game just ended in a 0-0 tie and my team somehow won.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
There is an issue where you can't abandon bonus series quests
Ah, good to know. i havent run into the issue because ive generally wrapped up the world before i leave. And in the instance i havent been able to (just Nar Shaddaa so far) i didnt think of abandoning it because i might forget to return.

daoster

i am so balmorra.. i just want to get off the damn planet..but the damn completist within me...and this isn‘t even the bonus series

erragal

You're going to hate Alderaan. There's quite a few heroic quests and some of the 4 man ones are tougher than any of the flashpoints I had done prior to doing that. Insufficient staff is a ridiculous quest and it was hard enough to find a full group for it (need a tank and healer for that, we had 3 over-leveled dps and a healer and got destroyed).

I two manned that with my inquisitor DPS friend. IF you have a very skilled/well geared tank you can duo every heroic in the game. I'm at the point I don't even need malavai to make it through fights due to my gear; biochem and pre-shielding can help with the harder pulls. Bosses are always cake it's really only the 5 elite pulls that can be tricky anymore.

bengraven

Wow, so the Jedi Exile was canonized as a female? I think I heard that somewhere, but I can't remember.

The backstory of Revan and the Exile, Surik, is actually pretty cool. I can't wait to see Revan, though the pics I've seen he doesn't look like MY Revan unless Revan dyed his hair and had surgery to undo his Asian eyes.

----

Also, the Hero stuff is fine, but man it's hard to find people to group with sometimes, even on a full server. Took me an hour to find people to do Black Talon and even longer for the Heroic stuff on Dormun Kaas.

Don't care, though, I have a spaceship now!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wow, so the Jedi Exile was canonized as a female? I think I heard that somewhere, but I can't remember.

The backstory of Revan and the Exile, Surik, is actually pretty cool. I can't wait to see Revan, though the pics I've seen he doesn't look like MY Revan unless Revan dyed his hair and had surgery to undo his Asian eyes.
That Bioware gave the Exile not only a canon gender but a name kind of pisses me off.

No.... I did my role plenty for free. But sometimes I'd be sitting around and people would be begging for a tank to tank some heroic. Some heroic where I didn't need any gear and I wouldn't profit by going and doing it. So they paid me some gold to go. I'm not seeing why you think I should go out of my way to spend 45 minutes to help some complete random strangers when I know I'm going to get nothing out of it.

Jarmel

Banned
No.... I did my role plenty for free. But sometimes I'd be sitting around and people would be begging for a tank to tank some heroic. Some heroic where I didn't need any gear and I wouldn't profit by going and doing it. So they paid me some gold to go. I'm not seeing why you think I should go out of my way to spend 45 minutes to help some complete random strangers when I know I'm going to get nothing out of it.

It's a game that is composed of social interactions. The whole point is that you're socializing with complete strangers.

nataku

Apparently on the PTS Bioware removed the medium resolution texture option and now all you have is low and high. On the live servers high doesn't work at all, so I guess they decided to just remove the option completely. Medium is the new high.

Also, if you click on your holo terminal in you ship you'll get a flash of high resolution textures on your character for a half a second. Like this:

Normal gameplay textures

High res textures

Jarmel

Banned
Apparently on the PTS Bioware removed the medium resolution texture option and now all you have is low and high. On the live servers high doesn't work at all, so I guess they decided to just remove the option completely. Medium is the new high.

Also, if you click on your holo terminal in you ship you'll get a flash of high resolution textures on your character for a half a second. Like this:

Normal gameplay textures

High res textures

What the hell?

eznark

Banned

Normal gameplay textures

High res textures

Ugh

Jibbed

Normal gameplay textures

High res textures

What?!

I've just bought the game anyway, installing now :D

Any recommendations for an MMO newcomer?

Moaradin

How the hell does the high res textures magically appear when you click on the holoterminal, but you can't seem to force them anywhere?

Guesong

So after leveling a Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent, I find the Sith Warrior's Act 1 to be strangely refreshing.

It may be a subtle nuance, but during the BH and IA storyline, you are basically being told to go there to do X and Y stuff for yourself and come back.

The Sith Warrior's storyline, you still go do X and Y, but the way it is presented...I dunno. I feel much more in freedom (despite there being none I know) than previously.

It's all semantics, but it sure removes, if only partially, the "ugh fuck this grind" feeling in my head. Well tbh I'm still on Dromund Kaas with the Warrior, but hopefully the rest of the Act 1 planets follows the same narrative structure.

FLEABttn

Banned

Normal gameplay textures

High res textures

The nerd rage where people are cancelling over this specific issue on the official forums is funny. Funny and sad. They're likely people that are terrible to play with though.

eznark

Banned
Is there anything special about the bonus quests? I just finished up Balmorra and now I have like five more bonus quests to do! Do they give anything special?

HBroward

Is there anything special about the bonus quests? I just finished up Balmorra and now I have like five more bonus quests to do! Do they give anything special?

Not right now it seems, I completed all of Bonus Series with nothing to show for it, aside from the individual quest rewards.

JWong

Banned

People paid real money to top Guild Wars players to run them through places. Isn't just WoW and TOR, and certainly isn't just MMOs, or games.

When you can make something out of a service, people will pay money for it.

eznark

Banned

This seems completely reasonable.

Milly79

Finding heroics is definitely based on planet population. Usually when one starts asking you can get in easy. I did 2-3 heroics on Hoth with only 20 people on the planet at the time.

Flashpoints are a different story especially later on when you're 40+. I still haven't found a group for War Game or Red Reaper (I think that's what it's called).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm rather enjoying the game now that I've written it off as an MMORPG. I'm just going through my class quests and doing any side quests that might interest me and aren't just a standard "Go rough up those thugs in sector 7" type.

Varna

Normal gameplay textures

High res textures

Why can't they just say they are working on this. :(

MedIC86

Anyonw know a site with item previews? im planning to buy a vibroblade on tatooine but i cant find pics of it (torhead or haterdb)..

Top Bottom