• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Is there anything special about the bonus quests? I just finished up Balmorra and now I have like five more bonus quests to do! Do they give anything special?
On some planets, the bonus series stuff is the only way you'll get to see certain areas of the planet (assuming you don't go exploring on your own), and they sometimes won't even appear for you until later as they can be much higher level than where you are when you wrap the main storyline up there (assuming you're within the recommended level range for that planet).

You can sometimes get okay gear from them, but I mainly did it for commendations to buy mods.

Is there anything special about the bonus quests? I just finished up Balmorra and now I have like five more bonus quests to do! Do they give anything special?

I did get a nice pair of Orange/moddable leggings for my Sniper upon completing them. Not insanely profitable, but better than standard quest rewards IMO.

eznark

Banned
On some planets, the bonus series stuff is the only way you'll get to see certain areas of the planet (assuming you don't go exploring on your own), and they sometimes won't even appear for you until later as they can be much higher level than where you are when you wrap the main storyline up there (assuming you're within the recommended level range for that planet).

You can sometimes get okay gear from them, but I mainly did it for commendations to buy mods.

I still don't really get what commendations do. I pretty much only go to vendors to sell shit! I also have only ever gotten one thing that I can mod, and it was the bounty hunter blaster which is now obsolete basically.

Right now my biggest annoyance is getting back to my ship/getting to the fleet. Seems like cool stuff happens there, but it's such a chore to get back that I don't bother most of the time.

XiaNaphryz

I still don't really get what commendations do. I pretty much only go to vendors to sell shit! I also have only ever gotten one thing that I can mod, and it was the bounty hunter blaster which is now obsolete basically.

Right now my biggest annoyance is getting back to my ship/getting to the fleet. Seems like cool stuff happens there, but it's such a chore to get back that I don't bother most of the time.
Commendations are just another form of currency really - you can usually purchase better stuff from the commendation vendors on each planet compared to the standard equipment vendors. You can also find these vendors on fleet, though I think there's a planet or two that doesn't have fleet vendors.

If you find orange gear you like the look of, you can upgrade its stats via mods so you can keep wearing it but still be geared appropriately for your level. So you can upgrade that blaster you found to keep it on par or better than the standard gear you would find for your level.

As for getting back to fleet quickly, many planets will have flashpoint shuttles in some areas that will take you directly back to fleet if you want. There's also the Fleet Pass ability you can use to quick travel straight back to fleet, it should be in your list of abilities in the general tab. This can only be used once a day though, I believe you can purchase one-time use fleet passes from a vendor on fleet if you want to use it more often. Not exactly a way to quickly get back to your ship, but when you travel back to fleet this way you spawn in front of the hangers so its not too far to get to.

eznark

Banned
Commendations are just another form of currency really - you can usually purchase better stuff from the commendation vendors on each planet compared to the standard equipment vendors. You can also find these vendors on fleet, though I think there's a planet or two that doesn't have fleet vendors.

If you find orange gear you like the look of, you can upgrade its stats via mods so you can keep wearing it but still be geared appropriately for your level. So you can upgrade that blaster you found to keep it on par or better than the standard gear you would find for your level.

As for getting back to fleet quickly, many planets will have flashpoint shuttles in some areas that will take you directly back to fleet if you want. There's also the Fleet Pass ability you can use to quick travel straight back to fleet, it should be in your list of abilities in the general tab. This can only be used once a day though, I believe you can purchase one-time use fleet passes from a vendor on fleet if you want to use it more often. Not exactly a way to quickly get back to your ship, but when you travel back to fleet this way you spawn in front of the hangers so its not too far to get to.

Awesome, thanks. I have the fleet pass, but the cooldown is so long that I kind of hesitate to use it.

The music on Nar Shadaa is so damn awesome.

hermit7

So I just bought it and am looking for some beginner information. I read the OP but is there any other info or tips that are important that someone who is new needs to know.

Kalnos

Banned
Impressions of the game and potential now we're 2 weeks after release?

If you're interested in PvP then I wouldn't bother. World PvP is practically non-existent up to 40 (my lvl), faction imbalance is bad, WZs are nothing new outside of Hutball which gets old pretty quickly, ability delay is awful though it's being corrected, and there are an absurd number of knockback, immobilizing, stunning, etc abilities.

If you're interested in the story as either a solo or co-op experience and enjoy MMO PvE game-play then I highly recommend at least checking it out. They did really well with the dialog system in groups and questing is so much more interactive than something like WoW.

I can't vouch for late-game PvE but I'm not particularly impressed by the flashpoints up to my level. They're fun but they aren't really challenging.

Was hoping WoW community 'traits' wouldn't creep over to this.

and if you're looking for a game that doesn't follow the 'tank' - 'healer' - 'dps' trinity then I would watch Guild Wars 2.

It's a game that is composed of social interactions. The whole point is that you're socializing with complete strangers.

I hope due to SW magic this will be the case. In WoW it always was "socialize until you find a good guild, treat everyone else like crap".

XiaNaphryz

World PvP is practically non-existent up to 40 (my lvl)
I've found this highly server dependent. I've consistently run into enemy faction players from Tatooine onwards on my server. I can't recall a night where I didn't run into a couple since then actually. I ran into 2 or 3 on Hoth last night in the hour I was there, and there were only 40 Imperials on at the time.

Kalnos

Banned
I've found this highly server dependent. I've consistently run into enemy faction players from Tatooine onwards on my server. I can't recall a night where I didn't run into a couple since then actually. I ran into 2 or 3 on Hoth last night in the hour I was there, and there were only 40 Imperials on at the time.

This might be true, it's either faction population or just my luck. I'm on a 'Full' population PvP server so I'm not really sure what I could have done differently. It isn't like WoW though where a trip to STV would all but guarantee you would see someone of the opposite faction.

WoW didn't have instanced zones and the quests often sent both factions to the same areas, that could be the difference in all honesty.

Varna

Not enough people threatening to quit over this yet, but we will get there.

Just seems like something quiet simple that would please a lot of people. They were in the beta (along with AA and foliage distance right?) with no serious issues correct?

Tatooine is kind of tough... Level 27 Marauder with pretty decent equipment and the encounters so far have been rough.

XiaNaphryz

WoW didn't have instanced zones and the quests often sent both factions to the same areas, that could be the difference in all honesty.
I've found several of the planets do have areas where both factions will have end up on missions. I will see areas phased off with labels saying "For Jedi Knights only" and whatnot as an Imperial. And when the planet population gets low enough there aren't any planet instances.

I highly suspect its an issue of faction population. I wouldn't be surprised if some servers have much more of an Empire presence than others. I believe mine was more Empire from the start back from when the guild import info first came out, but we still had a good number of Republic guilds with decent member numbers.

Darklord

Banned
Man, what's with Jedi shadows? They have some seriously cheap shit. This guy just kept stealthing, stun, hit, stun, hit, stun, hit, stun, hit. Wtf? How many god damn stuns do they have? And when I start beating him, sprints while in combat, stealth, gone. He even stayed in combat when NPC's shot at him.

Alex

My single largest complaint with this game is, just as it was with WoW, the poor implementation of factions. Get to play with (give or take) 50 percent of your server and make the gameplay avenues traditional MMOs focus on twice as hard to participate in for the sake of fantasy nationalism that will never have any proper supporting mechanics.

Light and Dark with (tolerated) coop for Pve and other elements may have been the way to go. Like order and chaos in UO

So, I finished off the solo Illum quests and soloed the Foundry last night. Wow! I don't want to spoil anything, but the end of Illum after listening to the Deceived (audio) book is badass and it totally clicks.

If I had known Revan was in the Foundry, I would have gone out of my way to do it while leveling. Now I really have to get the Revan book. I went through the whole game believing the Revanites story about Revan being the emperor and didn't think anything about the stuff about the Jedi who the emperor kept prisoner because I thought Revan was the emperor.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Finally got my legacy name last night! Loving my Gunslinger.

I had no idea you could actually flag yourself as PVP anywhere even on a PVE server. We did some guild stuff last night running from planet to planet taking pictures and killing world bosses when one of my group was ganked on Nar Shaddaa. I don't think he realized how big the group was so we wiped him out pretty easily lol. Anyway it seems like the best of both worlds being able to do open world PVP whenever you want without having to roll on PVP server and have to worry about getting ganked all the time. Just flag yourself when you feel like it and turn it off when you don't.

On another note I love Alderaan. Definitely my favorite planet up until this point. Huge open spaces and a beautiful design. Just so much fun driving around. Hope there are more planets like this.

Hawk269

So I just bought it and am looking for some beginner information. I read the OP but is there any other info or tips that are important that someone who is new needs to know.

Where to start...Well some really quick ones from me.

1. Go to your preferences and change the option for looting. The default is that you need to loot each creature individually, but you can change it to a "area" loot which makes it easier.

2. There is also an option to compare items in your inventory to what your companions items as well. The default has it when you view a item in a vendor/inventory it shows stats for the item and a window opens up to show you main character so you can compare the items. In the preferences you can change this to show the items stats, your characters item stats and the companions stats. Very usefull.

3. Ensure you save up for Level 25 Speeder training. Cost is 40,000 credits. If you have the CE you get a free vehicle, if not you also have to buy one. But you still need to purchase the training.

4. Fleet Pass. It has a long cool down, but usefull if you need to go back to the fleet really fast. It is under you abilities icon and for some reason they dont automatically put it in your toolbar.

5. If you have a good PC, force AA (if you have Nvidia) via the .ini settings. Or you can wait till next week and the 1.2 patch will have the option in the menu. AA does make a hell of a difference though.

That is all for now, but will post a few more when I have time.

Zertez

Im having a lot of fun with Inquistor/Sorcerer gameplay, but the story has been disappointing so far up to lvl 35. It seems like they are rehashing the same plot over and over again. Story spoilers below.
I realize it is the heavy sith force user, but it seems like the story is one betrayal after another betrayal. I know it is part of going down the dark side path, but every master betraying me is getting very predictable. Even the starter trainer betrayed me. The ghost and family heritage angle has been the best part for me. Hopefully they change things up from 35-50

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Not sure what to level as an alt... I got my marauder to 50 and love it but I need a side character. I love warrior-esque characters so I was thinking LS juggernaut to mix things up lol, but that might be a little too similar to marauder. Maybe assassin? Any recommendations?

Edit: Anyone know why they took helms + masks together out of the game? They had that option in beta...
saving for an xpac -_-?

Hawk269

Some IRL friends decided to get the game and created a guild. I decided to join with a new character. The guild needs a tank...I never tanked before in any game so I am not sure what to go with. I did start a Sith Warrior, but she is just starting out. In order to become a good tank, what are the primary stats/abilities I should focus on and what sub-class should I choose once I hit level 10?

Thanks!

Some IRL friends decided to get the game and created a guild. I decided to join with a new character. The guild needs a tank...I never tanked before in any game so I am not sure what to go with. I did start a Sith Warrior, but she is just starting out. In order to become a good tank, what are the primary stats/abilities I should focus on and what sub-class should I choose once I hit level 10?

Thanks!

Sith Jugg for tank. You're primary stats will be str/endurance early on, later gear will start having other stats relating to defense. Your class quest progression will feed you the gear for your class, and many quest will give you multiple options for rewards one for your dps spec and one for your tank spec basically.

witness

I'm getting the game next month when I get a new computer and I was looking over the talent trees deciding what is going to be my main. I noticed that the Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior tanking specializations have a DPS tree as well, which seems quite intriguing. How viable is that spec in group play during flashpoints? Do you get weird looks from the others in your group cause you're not tanking?

Alex

I'm getting the game next month when I get a new computer and I was looking over the talent trees deciding what is going to be my main. I noticed that the Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior tanking specializations have a DPS tree as well. I assume thats really useful to level with if your soling/rolling with companions. How viable is that spec in group play during flashpoints? Do you get weird looks from the others in your group cause you're not tanking?

They're basically separate classes, In WoW terms, just think of it like Warrior and Rogue. There are only two pure DPS classes of the eight, and those two are very flashy (double light sabers, sniper rifles & cover, etc).

You'd just roll with it like you would any class with hybrid options. Do what appeals to you or what you need. If you never, ever want to tank you may wanna go Marauder just so you're not asked, I suppose.

Alex

Man, I really hate Nar Shadaa.

Nothing about that area makes me want to play anymore.

I've been through it twice! I really like it a lot, myself. Balmora is the only one I really didn't care for much thus far. Just wind up skipping that one since it's pretty easy to.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Agreed. It's the most boring, empty, needlessly massive place there is.

I quit for a week after arriving just because I didn't want to go back. When I started playing again the other day, I just beelined through the class quest and left for Tatooine right after.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I thought Nar Shadaar was pretty fun. It's way better than some of the other planets. I didn't like Quesh, Hoth, or Belsavis too much, so I dunno if I'll hit 50. Game really feels like a drag at this point.

Jarmel

Banned

I fucking HATE Taris on the Imperial side. I absolutely HATE the planet. The mobs respawn insanely fast so it just feels like a long grind, the map is cramped, it doesn't hate the liveliness in the Republic side, and the quests are boring. I didn't like it on the Republic side but this is infinitely worse.

It's far and away the worst planet I've been on.

I really love the game but the horrible FPS I have been experiencing sucks. I realize im playing on a laptop but it seems like low or high settings my fps are the same (around 15-25) on tython I got pretty good fps but inside the temple it was horrid, now that I am on the fleet and corrosant (not sure on spelling) the frame rate never gets decent.

Apparently on the PTS Bioware removed the medium resolution texture option and now all you have is low and high. On the live servers high doesn't work at all, so I guess they decided to just remove the option completely. Medium is the new high.

Also, if you click on your holo terminal in you ship you'll get a flash of high resolution textures on your character for a half a second. Like this:

Normal gameplay textures

High res textures

I can't believe they haven't sorted the textures out yet, it's quite ridiculous. Textures are really letting this game down visually right now.

Rokam

Every time my fat trooper rolls or dives in a cutscene I can't help but laugh. I look so ridiculous. Not to mention some of the dark side options to make fun of fat people.

Top Bottom