• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

SLV

LOL, judging by the Empire EUR gaf guild players tendencies, i will be the guild leader of a empty guild in no time :D

On another note I love Alderaan. Definitely my favorite planet up until this point. Huge open spaces and a beautiful design. Just so much fun driving around. Hope there are more planets like this.

This. Alderaan is BY FAR my absolute favorite planet. That wide open plain, nerfs grazing, those flying manta-ray things gliding through the air... Oh yeah.

I decided to play with my brother and we both started a Jedi. I'm playing Jedi Knight, going Guardian. Let me hear it GAF, how bad are things? I heard story is bad, and later you cannot solo your own class quests? Any truth to that?

Also, any advice from experienced Guardians?

Naix

Banned
I decided to play with my brother and we both started a Jedi. I'm playing Jedi Knight, going Guardian. Let me hear it GAF, how bad are things? I heard story is bad, and later you cannot solo your own class quests? Any truth to that?

Also, any advice from experienced Guardians?

I'm only lvl 33 but so far I've been able to solo my class quests just fine.

I have synthweaving and I craft my own armor, and keep my companion's armor up to date as well, which helps a lot I guess.

Varna

I went on the forums and supposedly 1.1 will put AA back in. Bioware giveths and takeths.

Was there a problem with the better textures and AA in the beta? I'm really curious why they removed them for retail.

All the Sith Marauder equipment looks like shit past 25... my god I don't know what to do.

Why do I have to put points into blurred speed to get to the next annihilation tier. :(

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Some thoughts before i dive into another session for hours on end:

Quesh - i was dreading this planet when i read the description. After Taris i wasnt sure if i would want another polluted wasteland. Turns out, the corrupted paradise of Quesh was different enough to not be a bother. The best thing about the planet however is that it was short and sweet. It was a nice change of pace to be completely done with a planet on one map. The story for the planet was decent but its presentation was top-notch. The designers that worked on Quesh were really going for a movie experience with some of the cutscenes (i really liked using the binoculars to view my sabotage in action.. reminded me of the SW movies with the zooms and all).

Space missions - im still having fun but it dawned on me how much of an afterthought they seem to be. Everything else in the game revolves so much around story but there is none of it here. Chances are high that Bioware just did not have time but it would be nice to see some Wing Commander or X-Wing/Tie Fighter story-like stuff during these missions. Even just giving personality to this unseen defector or Hutta space station would make the space missions much more memorable as their own stories.

Imperial Agent/Concealment Operative - i was having big problems in the game until i got the classes first (and only) stealth opener at level 36 (thats an insanely long time for such a vital skill) and my survivability and usefulness in PvP jumped up ten-fold. Despite how much better this was it was only at level 40 that i finally felt like my class had some oomph to it. Acid Blade is where it is at. Since getting that last tiered talent i have finally developed a rhythm to my combat and things are looking up.

Companions - i have all these cool companions and i can only see ones response to a huge portion of the quests. In KotOR this was fine because i could replay the game but i really dont want to roll another Operative. i understand its the nature of the game being an MMO and that this will never change (how could it really?) but it still makes me sadface. Also getting companions so late in the game.. Bioware learned this from Baldurs Gate but ive grown attached the my partner for the last 20-30 hours or so. No matter how cool the next one is, i think im sticking with Kaliyo (first IA companion).

Rokam

Any commandos have opinion on which "extra" talents to pick up to move up the gunnery tree? I was thinking heavy trooper, but can't decide between advanced tech and concussive force, using the healer companion.

Sokantish

Any commandos have opinion on which "extra" talents to pick up to move up the gunnery tree? I was thinking heavy trooper, but can't decide between advanced tech and concussive force, using the healer companion.

I skipped both heavy trooper and advanced tech. Only ended up putting 1 point in concussive force, was thinking about going back and putting in two though.

vertopci

So uh...is there a reason to be using any non-orange equipment...? A bunch of quests give you green/blue weapons and armor but whats the point when it sucks compared to keeping an updated orange one...?

So uh...is there a reason to be using any non-orange equipment...? A bunch of quests give you green/blue weapons and armor but whats the point when it sucks compared to keeping an updated orange one...?

The problem is that it's easy to get ahead of the missions' actual levels due to there being so much content. Check your mission log, I'm willing to bet you're a good 4-5 levels higher than the mission level. Which means you're always being rewarded gear that's 4-5 levels behind you (assuming you are geared to your level). A lot of my missions are starting to turn grey because I am not missing any missions on any planet I go to... it's kind of annoying, but then again it's better to have more content than not enough. It also means in world PvP I have an edge, since in any given PvP contested area I'm likely a bit higher level than any sith that might be around questing.

Sokantish

They do not sound too keen on adding a LFG tool. I see both good and bad to having an LFG took.

They should definitely add a global LFG channel.

I don't see a problem with a LFG tool, just don't make it cross-realm and then you get to actually meet people through the tool on your server instead of just sitting in town and spamming for invites

Thoraxes

I am surprised/shocked they didn't steal WoW's LFG Dungeon Finder utility.

I'm disappointed that they haven't. I hear most of the flashpoints were good too, but on my way to 50, I ran zero FPs because leveling and PvP covered any need to do so. It's just too much of a hassle to get in to one and complete it when you can be getting money and experience from quests.

FPs in general aren't very friendly to people that don't have much time during the work week, especially considering that not only are FPs lengthy, but they take almost as much time to find a group for one and get to said dungeon too.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Which doesn't affect TOR because your fleet city is already the hub for flashpoints. Not having a real LFD tool is short sighted.
Fleet is unlike DF because you still have to talk and find a group (Fleet is essentially all the Meeting Stones in one place). DF you queue up, get into dungeon, dont say a word to anyone for 20 minutes and then do it all over again. Fuck that.

Einbroch

Banned
Cross-realm LFG was the worst addition to WoW. Worse than anything else. People could troll, be bad, leave early, intentionally wipe the group, ninja...and all because they were on a different server, so they didn't care. A LFG tool would be fine, but I'd MUCH rather have none than the one WoW had.

Oh, and they actually tied rewards to randomly queuing for an instance. It was stupid.

Kalnos

Banned
Fleet is unlike DF because you still have to talk and find a group (Fleet is essentially all the Meeting Stones in one place). DF you queue up, get into dungeon, dont say a word to anyone for 20 minutes and then do it all over again. Fuck that.

In the end everyone is just sitting around the 'fleet' instead of 'org' and the world is still empty. Only in this system you still have to go through the pain of shouting for a group. Vanilla/BC WoW had some charm when it came to forming groups, and my nostalgia is strong, but the dungeon finder is an improvement.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Versus

Zoner: LFG Athiss
DarthVader whispers: I'll go
Zoner: Ok
DarthVader joins group
5 minutes later, no one joins
DarthVader leaves the group

I'd rather that than fucking sitting in general LFG for an hour rather than 20 minutes.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
In the end everyone is just sitting around the 'fleet' instead of 'org' and the world is still empty. Only in this system you still have to go through the pain of shouting for a group. Vanilla/BC WoW had some charm when it came to forming groups, and my nostalgia is strong, but the dungeon finder is an improvement.
The difference is that nobody gets groups together on Wow unless its through Dungeon Finder. In TOR people do this. This is the social aspect of the game. You have to communicate. Dungeon Finder is what killed the social aspect in Wow. Next thing you know people are going to want to remove the difficulty Heroics because they cant be solod. Actually i think ive seen that in this thread now that i think of it.

LFG in WoW took over 20 minutes for anyone who wasn't a tank to begin with.
This is the truth. DPS could see an hour wait easily.

Won

And it's 5-10 min now. *shrug*

The one time I tried the raid finder it even gave me a group within 2 mins.

Kai

Major spoilers for KOTOR to SWTOR connection - do not highlight if you don't want to be spoiled....

I am really pissed and disappointed at
the Foundry being the end of the HK 47 and Revan stories.... I just can't believe that is it. Felt so anti-climactic and on top of that I 3 manned Revan. Such a disappointing end if that's it

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Major spoilers for KOTOR to SWTOR connection - do not highlight if you don't want to be spoiled....

the Foundry being the end of the HK 47 and Revan stories.... I just can't believe that is it. Felt so anti-climactic and on top of that I 3 manned Revan. Such a disappointing end if that's it

It's not. For HK at least.

Moaradin

I wouldn't say its the end.

Tacitus_

Man, the enrage timers on the hardmode FPs are really tightly tuned. I'd even say overtuned since my group seems to hit the enrage timer around 10-5% on anything harder than Black Talon and half of our gear is already hardmode epics or equivalents.

AKA, fuck the boss who summons 4 adds in Battle for Ilum. Had five <10% wipes on him before finally nailing him.

Kalnos

Banned
The difference is that nobody gets groups together on Wow unless its through Dungeon Finder. In TOR people do this. This is the social aspect of the game. You have to communicate. Dungeon Finder is what killed the social aspect in Wow. Next thing you know people are going to want to remove the difficulty Heroics because they cant be solod. Actually i think ive seen that in this thread now that i think of it.

Ignoring the slippery slope I would say that there isn't much communication in TOR anyway. The instances are joke easy and I have never had anyone communicate with me after an instance, mostly because most players are already happy in some sort of guild. This is a problem with all MMOs nowadays though.

Tacitus_

Ignoring the slippery slope I would say that there isn't much communication in TOR anyway. The instances are joke easy and I have never had anyone communicate with me after an instance, mostly because most players are already happy in some sort of guild. This is a problem with all MMOs nowadays though.

Easy enough in normal maybe, but the hardmodes are ball busting hard. Insane dps checks and if you don't make it, the tank and/or your dps gets oneshotted after the boss enrages.

Are you referring to his appearance in Galaxies cause that doesn't count =P

droids can be rebuilt....

Somnia

So ever switching to my BH Dauthi, I am enjoying the game even more than before. I loved the game before, but I think I found the class for me (powertech tank). Only took 3 characters to 20+ before finding it...

Ah man, I'm SO tempted to join this.

I was in the invited to play a few times, but I only managed to have the time to play some months ago. It was a lot of fun at first, but after a while it became the same boring MMO stuff. Nar Shaddaa really killed it for me tbh, as I don't like having to walk around for hours completing quests etc.

But every time this thread gets bumped, I keep thinking of how good it would be to join...

Sigh...what am I to do.

Ah man, I'm SO tempted to join this.

I was in the invited to play a few times, but I only managed to have the time to play some months ago. It was a lot of fun at first, but after a while it became the same boring MMO stuff. Nar Shaddaa really killed it for me tbh, as I don't like having to walk around for hours completing quests etc.

But every time this thread gets bumped, I keep thinking of how good it would be to join...

Sigh...what am I to do.

It lost its charm for me very quickly as well. It might be headed to my ever-growing piles of MMOs where I never hit the maximum level.

WoW, City of Heroes and Champions Online may remain my distinguished group of MMOs in which I've maxed a character out.

Top Bottom