• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Rokam

So I'm level 20 sitting around 24k, should I just stop sending my companions out till after I get a mount? Or will I be seeing a huge spike in the credits I receive from quests soon.

Don't have slicing.

Valnen

Fleet is unlike DF because you still have to talk and find a group (Fleet is essentially all the Meeting Stones in one place). DF you queue up, get into dungeon, dont say a word to anyone for 20 minutes and then do it all over again. Fuck that.

And now if you play a populated class, you'll never get groups at all! Clearly that's much better!

Hey, I thought I'd ask here - how did BioWare end up addressing the whole "no gays in Star Wars" issue in the game?

They didn't because its an internet myth. The concept of homosexuality is what doesn't exist in star wars, because its seen as natural and doesn't need to be labeled as something different. There is no word "gay" in star wars universe. Bioware even had homosexual relations in their own SW game. The nonsense all started because a mod on a forum made a comment that got twisted around.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They didn't because its an internet myth. The concept of homosexuality is what doesn't exist in star wars, because its seen as natural and doesn't need to be labeled as something different. There is no word "gay" in star wars universe. Bioware even had homosexual relations in their own SW game. The nonsense all started because a mod on a forum made a comment that got twisted around.
I feel like they've skirted around the whole Juhani thing. Does this mean if you are playing a male character, you can "romance" a male NPC?

I feel like they've skirted around the whole Juhani thing. Does this mean if you are playing a male character, you can "romance" a male NPC?

Well the mod who started the mess apologized on their forums. He initially wanted to keep discussions clean and decided to ban such words from their forum when he made the filter list but it was a big mess. So a bit later he posted a retraction, he also has no say into what is ans isn't in SW. Bioware has said they are possibly going to have same sex relations in the future.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well the mod who started the mess apologized on their forums. He initially wanted to keep discussions clean and decided to ban such words from their forum when he made the filter list but it was a big mess. So a bit later he posted a retraction, he also has no say into what is ans isn't in SW. Bioware has said they are possibly going to have same sex relations in the future.
No. The reason is that Bioware is lazy and cut corners and this was one of the things they thought it was okay to cut.
Huh. Well, okay then. Thanks for the answers. I was just curious about how that all turned out since it was a bit of a "thing" when it first happened.

Valnen

As was pointed out a DF tool doesnt fix that. As a DPS class i would wait over an hour on a constant basis in Wow.
And I remember before the LFG tool in WoW I could wait much much longer than an hour for a group.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
No. The reason is that Bioware is lazy and cut corners and this was one of the things they thought it was okay to cut.

Come on. The scope of this game is enormous. I don't see any corners being cut. Every project has a release deadline which means a finite amount of time and manpower, that's the reality of business. The beauty of MMOs is that they are never finished, they will evolve and grow.

Thoraxes

I would tank and heal if they implemented a LFD system. Right now, there just isn't much benefit to do so because finding a group takes forever regardless of what role you fill.

Moaradin

As a healer, I've had no more than 5-10 minutes to find pretty much every dungeon and heroic in the game up until level 46.

Try a different class. The different stories really do make a difference. What class did you play?

Well I was originally the Trooper for a good long while, then I tried the Bounty Hunter for a little while, and that was okay. But I'll be honest, the Nar Shaddaa planet burnt me out quite a bit, so being bothered to play the Bounty Hunter enthusiastically wasn't easy.

I did love my Trooper though, just hated how tedious Nar Shaddaa and planets after that became. Story was great and such, all that good stuff. Just getting to it was a pain.

I have a friend who has the game, and wants me to join as well, so that's more incentive I guess.

Any ideas on what class to play other than Trooper, since I've played quite a lot of that class already? I like guns/gadgets more than melee type classes.

Thanks!

Moaradin

Well I was originally the Trooper for a good long while, then I tried the Bounty Hunter for a little while, and that was okay. But I'll be honest, the Nar Shaddaa planet burnt me out quite a bit, so being bothered to play the Bounty Hunter enthusiastically wasn't easy.

I did love my Trooper though, just hated how tedious Nar Shaddaa and planets after that became. Story was great and such, all that good stuff. Just getting to it was a pain.

I have a friend who has the game, and wants me to join as well, so that's more incentive I guess.

Any ideas on what class to play other than Trooper, since I've played quite a lot of that class already? I like guns/gadgets more than melee type classes.

Thanks!

Imperial Agent. Best story plus you are pretty much james bond.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Come on. The scope of this game is enormous. I don't see any corners being cut. Every project has a release deadline which means a finite amount of time and manpower, that's the reality of business. The beauty of MMOs is that they are never finished, they will evolve and grow.
If this is the excuse you want to peddle for the game being an incomplete mess that's fine, but being an MMO isn't a very good reason for a game to be incomplete.

And if you don't see the corners being cut here you are being very generous to Bioware. I cannot count the number of quests where my characters dialogue is the same cut and paste generic responses.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
If this is the excuse you want to peddle for the game being an incomplete mess that's fine, but being an MMO isn't a very good reason for a game to be incomplete.
Incomplete mess? Please. Game is in the best shape of any MMO launch ive seen. This includes Wow.

And if you don't see the corners being cut here you are being very generous to Bioware. I cannot count the number of quests where my characters dialogue is the same cut and paste generic responses.
Theres only so many ways to say "ill do it" or whatever.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Incomplete mess? Please. Game is in the best shape of any MMO launch ive seen. This includes Wow.
That's pretty rich. Find me a post made by Blizzard about having to fix the responsiveness of their game post launch.

Lilsnubby

To their credit Bioware has added lots of animated npcs to the worlds in the last week or so. Instance balance still needs some work but as far as I can tell they are aggressively making the game better all the time. I'm pretty damn impressed with their launch and post-launch strategy.

Moaradin

That's pretty rich. Find me a post made by Blizzard about having to fix the responsiveness of their game post launch.

You don't remember the game literally being unplayable for weeks? I would say a slight ability delay is better than not playing the game at all. At least Bioware has addressed all these issues and have them getting fixed.

This is definitely the thing that irks me the most. For all the theater of the conversations and the like, they shipped with a fundamentally broken system for combat, which is much more critical to the game in the long run.

And is anyone from US Empire-GAF on that can invite? I tried to get in early this afternoon, but the person I asked said no officers were on that could do so.

Playing a Chiss Operative named Jacinda, though I'm not sure if I want to reroll her to a Sniper, or just roll a different character altogether. I got DCed doing the Black Talon when I was playing and haven't been on since (couldn't reconnect at the time), but I can see if I can get on momentarily.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
At least we dont have to wait 7 months for a PvP system and another month on top of that for Battlegrounds to make it in.

And im sorry you and others are having issues. i dont have responsiveness problems outside of when its laggy. Well i did before i upgraded my video card and set Ability Action delay settings up.

And as I mentioned it's usually 5-10 min for me these days.
Well it wasnt for me. Even recently when they opened up the new dungeons it was 20-30 minutes at least.

too bad it doesnt feel like an MMO. lifeless worlds
Doesnt feel lifeless ot me. i just got done grouping for a heroic on Hoth. An hour ago i was getting camped by some Republic 50s outside Leth. i dont get the lifeless complaint. The only planet where i could say there was nobody was Quesh but that was at like 4am in the morning and the planet is super short.

edit:
For those with responsiveness issues have you tried lowering the setting here?

Hj9cb.jpg

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Incomplete mess? Hyperbolic much? I've had practically zero issues. You seem to have a very low rage threshold.

Thoraxes

Yes i've adjusted the ability action queue.

The problem is, is that the animations are what is fucking up the responsiveness. So even though GCDs finish, you have to still wait till the animations are complete to be able to use your next action. Same goes for mounting and jumping/moving and then stopping to cast too. The GCD shouldn't be mostly there just for show, things should revolve around it accurately, and not the animations.

Home

I would really appreciate it if Bioware would add a way to reset your advanced class choice. Even if it's a super long quest that cost a million credits, I'd much rather switch my gunslinger and jedi shadow to their healing counterparts than reroll and play through Tython/Coruscant etc etc again.

Oh and Hoth sucked.

Alex

There is def latency issues involved (and I ping ~50 ms to my server), they've said so themselves and said they plan on fixing it soon. It's not horrible or anything but it doesn't feel as smooth as it should be and it fucks with a few animations to be sure (Carbine Burst comes to mind)

Warcraft had far worse issues at launch though, I question if anyone who says otherwise was actually there. Sky-high latency, server crashes constantly, gigantic queues for ages on a sub million userbase. Even when you did get in and managed to get some play in the game, especially classes, were outstandingly bug infested and downright incoherent in design. I still laugh when I see those launch talent trees or think about the fact that like HALF of my shit on Warlock was broken.

The things we put up with back in the dark ages! That was then and this is now though, and this is a pretty solid launch for now. Very feature complete, plenty of frills and mostly polished. I just hope Dual Specs aren't too far out.

At least we dont have to wait 7 months for a PvP system and another month on top of that for Battlegrounds to make it in.

Was it that long? Man, that was some fun stuff back in the day though. You had to walk all the way out to Ashenvale to play, and it was fun but all of the MMO trappings is what made it REALLY fun back then. Server rivalries and more importantly: fucking with people.

Mind controlling Horde into their War Master for durability damage or the BEST: Mind Controlling Horde, inside of the BG out of the gate and back to a 30 minute queue... MMO trolling is the best trolling.

hamchan

My biggest disappointment with the game is that I've only heard the Mos Eisley Cantina theme once. It should be playing in every cantina because it's so great.

Moaradin

My biggest disappointment with the game is that I've only heard the Mos Eisley Cantina theme once. It should be playing in every cantina because it's so great.

It's only in the Cantina on Tatooine. Makes sense but sucks at the same time. I want to change the imperial fleet music in the vip room =(

It's only in the Cantina on Tatooine. Makes sense but sucks at the same time. I want to change the imperial fleet music in the vip room =(

Nah, that's for the Strip Club at Cloud City.

Only if you want some fluff items and a free mount.

Pass on it, thought the mount was cool but rest is useless. If I knew it was so easy to get a mount I would have paseed myself.

It would be a silly kind of neat if it lasted longer than 60 seconds at a time.

Okay, I went with the standard and saved my twenty bucks for .223/5.56 ammo or some other crap I want to buy!

Thanks!

Any tips for talent build and gameplay for DPS Operative? I'm bored of healing.

I haven't tried out Lethality so I can't speak on that but as far as Concealment is concerned I'd say wait until 36 when you'll get Hidden Strike and have maxed the talent Jarring Strike which causes Hidden Strike to knock the target to the ground for 3 seconds. Up until then you're better off being Medicine specced. One tip for playing a dps spec is learn to dismiss your companion if it's low and then resummon it. It serves as a .5 second full heal. Once you hit 40 though and pick up Acid Blade you'll finally feel like a complete class. Up until then it's pretty janky. That's something that Bioware should really work on.

Top Bottom