• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
What do you find over-powered? The burst damage out of stealth?
Its laughable how underpowered Concealment Operatives are. They cant stunlock due to the Resolve system (you cant chain Hidden Strike talented stun with our other stun.. theyll be immune). Their vanish doesnt remove DoTs. They cant close, sprint, knockback, or pull anyone. They are laughably easy to kite and keep in combat.

The class will get nerfed though. People always complain about stealth classes. Something about being ambushed that rubs people the wrong way. For those having problems with stealth DPS in TOR do these things:

1. Dont wander around the battlefield with 10% health.
2. Stay in groups.
3. Use your freedom ability when you get stunned. Its not like Wow where you blow a trinket and then you get stunned right away again. Mechanics ensure thats impossible.
4. Use your medkits.
5. If its just one Operative/Scoundrel stand your ground. You will win. All things being equal theres not a class that cannot take a Concealment Operative 1v1.
6. If its a level 50 with full PvP gear thats killed you, wait until you get yours or until the new brackets come into play.

Darklord

Banned
The game seems to be decent but it feels like the have done some big misstakes early on in the concept face.

Servers

Instead of having multiple servers I'm suggesting there should be just one place to sign in with your characters. With intelligent matchmaking you should be able to fix many issues like ques to servers, not being able to play with friends on other servers. The reason to have multiple servers feels feels just like a technical limitation back in the day we haven't got rid off yet.

Companions

Your companions were one of the most interesting things in Mass Effect.
There are 40+ companions in Old Republic, they are spread over each class. But the quality of the companions isn't good enough, they keep repeating them self, most of the companion quest has been awful and the content is too spread out.
Instead of having a huge amount of companions spread over the different classes they could lower the amount of companions and have around 10 companions in the game and make them each class have a handful.
This would make it possible to have more complex characters, stories and better side missions when everybody would be able to enjoy the content without making a new characters.

Telling story only in cutscenes

Some times it feels like they keep on talking and talking and there isn't actually any progression in the story and your decision doesn't really matter because you are just trying to understand the situation.
Sometimes you are watching a cutscene for the main, the side missions and the group missions and suddenly you stop caring. After the cutscenes you transport your character between the missions and when you actually arrive at your objective you don't have a clue of what you are doing.
By spreading the dialog to both cutscenes and ingame would make the game more enjoyable. You would still have the power to make your decision in cutscenes but you could have other kind of story telling ingame like explaining longer back stories for planets, stories ... for 5, 10, 15 maybe even 20 minutes. You could also just have shorter things like your companions pointing you in the right directions, pointing out things in the environment or just having a normal conversation with your character.

Is this a service or a product.

In a normal case you are paying a one time fee for a product and a monthly fee to get access to a service. For most MMO you are buying a product but to be able to use it you need to pay a fee monthly, which makes it a service.
If this a service you should be able to sign up and download the game for free but be able to play should cost you a fee. The game and all expansions should be free because you are paying for the service.

More tutorials

For a person who haven't played a MMO before this game is bloody mess. There are ways to dig up the information probably but is too hard. All of the core things should be explained multiple times for new MMO players. This is a licensed game and it shouldn't just be for MMO players who have probably already found there game.

Make it more user friendly

You took away most of the equipment in Mass Effect 2 and made the game a lot more user friendly. Same approach to a MMO would be nice too see. Some crazy examples.

- Takeaway the skill three and let users choose between 3 different builds.
- Take away your LVL and equipment in PVP.
- Less ability's, limit the ability's to maybe 10.

This should make the game easier to learn but remember it should still be hard to master.

Matchmaking for Flashpoints

You should be able to join a flashpoint in the same way you can join a PVP match. Also a intelligent matchmaking to find good groups.

Star Wars, really?

Why did you choose to make a licensed Star Wars game, the game cost a lot of money a profit margins will not be huge if you partner with Lucas. The only winner will be Lucas with zero investment, no risk and millions in his pockets if this is a success.
You could have used a of your own IP's like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and expanded the universe or made a completely new IP.

Better graphics, camera positioning and animations

If you compare a AAA game on a console and Old Republic you are not even coming close to the graphics, camera positioning and animations. The exceptions a lot higher today than 7 years when WoW launched. There are also many smaller titles who succeed to have amazing graphics with both a limited budget a smaller audience.

Journey Gameplay

Better gameplay

If you compare this game with the big e-sports titles like Starcraft 2, League of Legends and Dota 2 it doesn't even come close. Even if I compare the gameplay to last generation game like Kingdom Hearts

Kingdom Hearts Gameplay

You don't beat World of Warcraft by being it you could probably steal there customers which is probably the big plan behind Old Republic. (But I don't believe any one gives up there character after 5+ years of hard work. (Never played WoW))

What do you think, do you agree, disagree?

It's people like you who made games like Dragon Age 2.

If you compare a AAA game on a console and Old Republic you are not even coming close to the graphics

It's because MMO's have to last longer than an entire generation. You think a game with Halo 1 graphics would hold up today? I don't think so. That's why MMO's use stylized graphics and why games like TF2 still look fantastic.

The game seems to be decent but it feels like the have done some big misstakes early on in the concept face.

Servers

Instead of having multiple servers I'm suggesting there should be just one place to sign in with your characters. With intelligent matchmaking you should be able to fix many issues like ques to servers, not being able to play with friends on other servers. The reason to have multiple servers feels feels just like a technical limitation back in the day we haven't got rid off yet.

Companions

Your companions were one of the most interesting things in Mass Effect.
There are 40+ companions in Old Republic, they are spread over each class. But the quality of the companions isn't good enough, they keep repeating them self, most of the companion quest has been awful and the content is too spread out.
Instead of having a huge amount of companions spread over the different classes they could lower the amount of companions and have around 10 companions in the game and make them each class have a handful.
This would make it possible to have more complex characters, stories and better side missions when everybody would be able to enjoy the content without making a new characters.

Telling story only in cutscenes

Some times it feels like they keep on talking and talking and there isn't actually any progression in the story and your decision doesn't really matter because you are just trying to understand the situation.
Sometimes you are watching a cutscene for the main, the side missions and the group missions and suddenly you stop caring. After the cutscenes you transport your character between the missions and when you actually arrive at your objective you don't have a clue of what you are doing.
By spreading the dialog to both cutscenes and ingame would make the game more enjoyable. You would still have the power to make your decision in cutscenes but you could have other kind of story telling ingame like explaining longer back stories for planets, stories ... for 5, 10, 15 maybe even 20 minutes. You could also just have shorter things like your companions pointing you in the right directions, pointing out things in the environment or just having a normal conversation with your character.

Is this a service or a product.

In a normal case you are paying a one time fee for a product and a monthly fee to get access to a service. For most MMO you are buying a product but to be able to use it you need to pay a fee monthly, which makes it a service.
If this a service you should be able to sign up and download the game for free but be able to play should cost you a fee. The game and all expansions should be free because you are paying for the service.

More tutorials

For a person who haven't played a MMO before this game is bloody mess. There are ways to dig up the information probably but is too hard. All of the core things should be explained multiple times for new MMO players. This is a licensed game and it shouldn't just be for MMO players who have probably already found there game.

Make it more user friendly

You took away most of the equipment in Mass Effect 2 and made the game a lot more user friendly. Same approach to a MMO would be nice too see. Some crazy examples.

- Takeaway the skill three and let users choose between 3 different builds.
- Take away your LVL and equipment in PVP.
- Less ability's, limit the ability's to maybe 10.

This should make the game easier to learn but remember it should still be hard to master.

Matchmaking for Flashpoints

You should be able to join a flashpoint in the same way you can join a PVP match. Also a intelligent matchmaking to find good groups.

Star Wars, really?

Why did you choose to make a licensed Star Wars game, the game cost a lot of money a profit margins will not be huge if you partner with Lucas. The only winner will be Lucas with zero investment, no risk and millions in his pockets if this is a success.
You could have used a of your own IP's like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and expanded the universe or made a completely new IP.

Better graphics, camera positioning and animations

If you compare a AAA game on a console and Old Republic you are not even coming close to the graphics, camera positioning and animations. The exceptions a lot higher today than 7 years when WoW launched. There are also many smaller titles who succeed to have amazing graphics with both a limited budget a smaller audience.

Journey Gameplay

Better gameplay

If you compare this game with the big e-sports titles like Starcraft 2, League of Legends and Dota 2 it doesn't even come close. Even if I compare the gameplay to last generation game like Kingdom Hearts

Kingdom Hearts Gameplay

You don't beat World of Warcraft by being it you could probably steal there customers which is probably the big plan behind Old Republic. (But I don't believe any one gives up there character after 5+ years of hard work. (Never played WoW))

Thank god you don't design MMOs. Kingdom Hearts?! Are you serious right now? Comparing a AAA console game in which 2/3 of development time are spend on graphics to a MMO where 1/4 the time is spent on graphics? lolwut?

Take away player freedom and only give them 3 premade specs? Uh....god no, that just reinforces the stupidly outdated trinity concept.

Operative/Scoundral is the most broken over-powered shit in the game, thats why.

This is coming from an IA.

We're really not, one could say Assassins/Shadows are.

For Op, if you survive the initial burst, you have a ridiculously high chance of winning the fight against a Operative.

Morn

Banned
Someone tried it later in the thread. It doesn't work. High res textures are broken, period. Nothing we do will fix them. It's all on Bioware to enable them for normal gameplay.

I don't recall them ever being active in normal gameplay at any phase in the beta.

Its laughable how underpowered Concealment Operatives are. They cant stunlock due to the Resolve system (you cant chain Hidden Strike talented stun with our other stun.. theyll be immune). Their vanish doesnt remove DoTs. They cant close, sprint, knockback, or pull anyone. They are laughably easy to kite and keep in combat.

The class will get nerfed though. People always complain about stealth classes. Something about being ambushed that rubs people the wrong way. For those having problems with stealth DPS in TOR do these things:

2. Stay in groups.
3. Use your freedom ability when you get stunned. Its not like Wow where you blow a trinket and then you get stunned right away again. Mechanics ensure thats impossible.
4. Use your medkits.
5. If its just one Operative/Scoundrel stand your ground. You will win. All things being equal theres not a class that cannot take a Concealment Operative 1v1.
6. If its a level 50 with full PvP gear thats killed you, wait until you get yours or until the new brackets come into play.

I can only speak from my own experiences as Concealment(I waited until 50 to start PVPing), but I find my burst to be incredibly high. Right now, I deal 10-12k damage in the 3 second window, depending on crits and such. Thats not counting the 2nd layer of Acid Blade I roll over the original. Then again, I'm also rocking 7 pieces of champion gear, including the knife, so I'm sure that plays a large part.

Also, your list isn't as cut and dry as you make it out to be imo. While the Hidden Strike stun will fill the players resolve bar, they still have to have that freedom ability off cd. Also disagree with number 5, When there are 2-3 republic guarding the west turret and I can kill them all, that suggests to me that the class can win out of stealth. And if I can do it(I'm not exactly a PVP all-star), imagine in the hands of a seasoned pvper.

nataku

Not that I have seen, and thats why I wonder, as I don't remember even seeing any in game pics of these mythical high rez textures. In cutscenes you got clearer everything, but in game it's always been downgraded, some people seem to claim high rez texture option would make the in game models equal to the cut scene ones? Is that even possible or just assumption by many people? In beta there was issues but it was that the in game models would switch to low, which got fixed but still the textures dont look as good as the cutscene ones.

Perhaps it is bugged though, as many say that setting your textures to medium and to high makes no difference in texture quality which has caused the belief that high res textures are not working.

Why wouldn't it be possible? Even if the high res textures were never meant for in game use, the fact is they exsist. For every single armor model in the game. Why not enable them?

If you want to see the high res textures on your character in game, outside of a cutscene, go to your ship's holoterminal, zoom in close on your character, and right click on the holo. You'll get high res textures swapped in for a half a second. Sure the game things you're about to go into a cutscene when you right click it, but I see no reason not to enable the textures for normal use. If it hits performance for people they can just drop back down to medium.

Plus the simple fact that they had a low, medium and high texture option in game and there is no difference between medium and high tells me we are supposed to have something better available.

Won

The only time someone can actually win against my Scoundrel seems to be when my opponent outgears me quite a bit.

Darklord

Banned
I've currently done 1 quest out of 4 companions and I'm 80 hours in. This companion bug sucks...what's worse is that it taunts me. "Mako wants to talk on your ship". 30 seconds later it's vanished.

Edit: Also Taris and Hoth were shit. I hope there are some more Tatooine/Alderaan quality planets to go.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I can only speak from my own experiences as Concealment(I waited until 50 to start PVPing), but I find my burst to be incredibly high. Right now, I deal 10-12k damage in the 3 second window, depending on crits and such. Thats not counting the 2nd layer of Acid Blade I roll over the original. Then again, I'm also rocking 7 pieces of champion gear, including the knife, so I'm sure that plays a large part.

Also, your list isn't as cut and dry as you make it out to be imo. While the Hidden Strike stun will fill the players resolve bar, they still have to have that freedom ability off cd. Also disagree with number 5, When there are 2-3 republic guarding the west turret and I can kill them all, that suggests to me that the class can win out of stealth. And if I can do it(I'm not exactly a PVP all-star), imagine in the hands of a seasoned pvper.
i dont believe you can take 2-3 level 50s solo. If you jump low levels without Expertise, sure. Otherwise i refuse to believe it.

edit:
Oh and brush up on your healing because the unneeded nerfs are incoming. Having level 50s with 20% extra damage, 20% damage mitigation, and 80% crit or whatever, fighting low levels with zero Expertise have ensured that Operative DPS is done for. The burst damage will be lowered but then everyone will have high expertise so Concealment will have nothing to bring to games. i cant believe Bioware did that. Its by far the dumbest thing they have done with the game so far.

i dont believe you can take 2-3 level 50s solo. If you jump low levels without Expertise, sure. Otherwise i refuse to believe it.

edit:
Oh and brush up on your healing because the unneeded nerfs are incoming. Having level 50s with 20% extra damage, 20% damage mitigation, and 80% crit or whatever, fighting low levels with zero Expertise have ensured that Operative DPS is done for. The burst damage will be lowered but then everyone will have high expertise so Concealment will have nothing to bring to games. i cant believe Bioware did that. Its by far the dumbest thing they have done with the game so far.

Refuse to believe it all you want, but it happens baby! ;)

That said, I can almost guarantee that these are 50's without the same gear I have. I obviously don't inspect them, but theres a big difference in say a level 50 Sage with 16k HP, and a sage with 12k HP. Also obviously skill level would play a factor, like I said I'm far from a pvp pro, but when I burst one down out of stealth and his friend(s) proceeds to engage me in close range combat, that kind of just plays into our classes hands.

Any suggestions for assassin builds? General rotations, things like that?

Just to add on to what Angelus just suggested, try checking out the inquisitor section on http://www.sithwarrior.com as well.

ZarraN

Banned
Post 10095

Some people seem to disagree with my post which pointed 10 mistakes according to "ME". I believe you guys agree with some of them and I'm not expecting you too agree with all of them but just giving back negative feedback is kind of mean.

I also want to explain some of the things I wrote.

It's because MMO's have to last longer than an entire generation. You think a game with Halo 1 graphics would hold up today? I don't think so. That's why MMO's use stylized graphics and why games like TF2 still look fantastic.

Thank god you don't design MMOs. Kingdom Hearts?! Are you serious right now? Comparing a AAA console game in which 2/3 of development time are spend on graphics to a MMO where 1/4 the time is spent on graphics? lolwut?

I actually believe you could improve the graphics a lot by having more stylized graphics. Like I mentioned in my first post a game like Journey has amazing looking graphics compared to a MMO and its a probably a 15$ game which is just a monthly fee of Old Republic.
The reason why I'm comparing Old Republic to a AAA game like Skyrim or Final Fantasy it cost around 200$ for the first year.

Take away player freedom and only give them 3 premade specs? Uh....god no, that just reinforces the stupidly outdated trinity concept.

I think a MMO could benefit a lot by making the game more user friendly. The game very similar to other MMO's and could benefit by trying to streamline the MMO experience by making it streamlined.
It would also be a lot easier to balance, which would make it a lot more appealing to people who want to compete seriously in PVP.

Crazy. o_O

So how much time did you spend working on Dragon Age 2?

Does BioWare know you're posting here on GAF?

No, no and no.

This line pretty much sums up your review. Getting rid of skill trees? Really? This is not a single player RPG where everyone is Commander Shepard or a shooter like CoD where pretty much the only thing you have to worry about is what gun you're currently holding.

Getting rid of skill trees was just an example to make it possible to make the game more balanced.
I also think the gameplay isn't good enough, it could be improved a lot if you think outside of the box for moment.
Remember this is just my opinion I don't think the game isn't a huge improvement over World of Warcraft and last generation consoles games have both better graphics and gameplay and I think they could have improved a lot.

JWong

Banned
Did this become a problem at a certain level? Kaliyo never had problems holding aggro for me. After i got Vector though i used him solely except for boss battles. He tears people apart much quicker than Kaliyo and ends the battle with about as much health as she would.

I use Vector for tanking, but all I do is heal. 8P

vfbKzl.png
badsithoverhere.jpg

ezekial45

Banned
I have to agree with a number of people. The Imperial Agent is amazing. I'm thinking about making him my new main.

Oh, and is it possible to switch server for your character? I didn't know there was a server for the GAF guild, and i'd like to join.

TheYanger

Thanks for chiming in with a gif without understanding the context.

Starting an argument off by calling someone an idiot is hardly anything worth seriously considering. This is not the official forums, and if I wanted to engage in childish name calling I would go there.

I am not interested in childish insults, but I also do not expect people to agree with me always. I do not think it is too much to ask to do so in a mature manner.

How am I supposed to take you seriously when you can't even do that much? Not even passed the first sentence. . .

You're the one that refutes every point by just saying "Well I think that's wrong" without backing anything up on your own. Were the methods or numbers I used ideal? No, obviously not. I said as much. Were they at least based on things that are factual and backed up by an explanation of why I inferred that? yes. Did you refute any of it with anything in kind? no.

There was no argument, you basically gave up and sat there going "Welp, you didn't win, I won". So yes, I stand by my 'idiot' statement. Just because you don't use a blatantly insulting word like 'idiot' doesn't make the way you're trying to discuss the topic any less inulsting or childlike. It's the work of an infant to just say 'no' to every statement they are presented with, without reason or understanding. I thought we could have a reasonable discussion on the issue, so I made a reasoned post with numbers I wasted my time getting, just for you. Your response was continually insubstantial. It's fine to disagree, but at least show some reasoning or you're going to look like a fool.

Dina

2. Stay in groups.
4. Use your medkits.

You're painting an unfair picture. Having an enemy pop their freedom ability in the beginning of the fight is key. The two minute cooldown also means that's it far from being up every fight. And when it is down, you have free reign for a good few seconds to pick off stragglers. Sure it becomes less effective in a group fight, but so does every tank in the game.

Burst is everything in PvP and being able to take down healers or dmg them greatly while everyone is fighting ahead is good. Me being a tank and me not being clueless about the resolve bar makes me a good enemy for an operative, but the class is far from weak.

You're painting an unfair picture. Having an enemy pop their freedom ability in the beginning of the fight is key. The two minute cooldown also means that's it far from being up every fight. And when it is down, you have free reign for a good few seconds to pick off stragglers. Sure it becomes less effective in a group fight, but so does every tank in the game.

Burst is everything in PvP and being able to take down healers or dmg them greatly while everyone is fighting ahead is good. Me being a tank and me not being clueless about the resolve bar makes me a good enemy for an operative, but the class is far from weak.

Yeah honestly tanks are the hardest to burst for me, even if your freedom cd isn't up, chances are high you'll survive with a decent enough health pool to begin popping defensive cd's and whittling me down. That and you guys are rarely alone! *shakes fist*

Valnen

Update on character responsiveness issue. I first turned the ability queue to 0.25 as suggested earlier. Than I turned it completely off. Game controls MUCH better now. Thanks!

Choc

Banned

Kingdom Hearts Gameplay

WAT!

name an mmo in that list and then you may have a point. In my eyes WoW was a steaming pile of shit and Blizzard didn't introduce the game to you well at all.

Companions are a game changer. And its why i like SWTOR

Why wouldn't it be possible? Even if the high res textures were never meant for in game use, the fact is they exsist. For every single armor model in the game. Why not enable them?

If you want to see the high res textures on your character in game, outside of a cutscene, go to your ship's holoterminal, zoom in close on your character, and right click on the holo. You'll get high res textures swapped in for a half a second. Sure the game things you're about to go into a cutscene when you right click it, but I see no reason not to enable the textures for normal use. If it hits performance for people they can just drop back down to medium.

Plus the simple fact that they had a low, medium and high texture option in game and there is no difference between medium and high tells me we are supposed to have something better available.

Should be possible, but thing is at no point in the games development has those high textures seen in cutscenes been used so it seems they intended for them to not be used in game. I would assume it's just performance problems if anything. Higher textures is not the only thing different but the game uses different effects applies to the game and filtering on the models in cutscenes.

Even messing with settings, no one has apparently been able to get those better textures in game. There must be some kind of technical trick being used here for cutscenes that doesn't work while in game, otherwise how no one has been able to force them on and they never were available in the game throughout testing and now makes it odd.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Update on character responsiveness issue. I first turned the ability queue to 0.25 as suggested earlier. Than I turned it completely off. Game controls MUCH better now. Thanks!
Glad it worked for you. Thats what i did and now abilities fire off when i hit the key. i had at first thought it was due to the lightsaber/blaster animation thing but it was that setting.

Mulberry

Just wanted to check in here. All the guys on the GAF Empire are great and I'm having a super time with the game.

Airocket- 32 Merc BH
Fulgar- 25 Sith Warrior
Kag- 5 Human IA

Cystm

You're the one that refutes every point by just saying "Well I think that's wrong" without backing anything up on your own.

Wha?

Were the methods or numbers I used ideal? No, obviously not. I said as much. Were they at least based on things that are factual and backed up by an explanation of why I inferred that? yes. Did you refute any of it with anything in kind? no.

So, let me get this right. You pulled numbers out of your ass, and are saying my argument is invalid because I did not do as much? I gave you an honest, personal impression. Disagree with it, fine. Turning to insults only makes you look like an angry child.

There was no argument, you basically gave up and sat there going "Welp, you didn't win, I won". So yes, I stand by my 'idiot' statement.

Here is what you are referring to, yes?
It does when you play on a carebear PvE server and expect PvP to be thriving.

I play on The Crucible Pitts, There are no issues with republic queuing for warzones and the win/loss ratio is a little under 50/50 in favor of the imps. In regards to world PvP - they have one of the largest guilds on the republic, spanning over 4 guilds and there is no feeling of it being 3 : 1.

Sorry your servers suck, but don't cry for the game to change because you rolled on the wrong server.
You are an idiot. There are ZERO servers that aren't at least 2:1 emp/republic. My server is one of the most even, and has some amazing republic guilds, I'm just pointing out that people don't roll on pvp servers BECAUSE of how shitty they are. If factions aren't balanced a pvp server is basically just an epeen waving thing to talk about, because pvp always comes down to numbers in open world settings. It has NOTHING to do with quality of warzones. But of course you can keep talking about how your server is amazing and how you never lose a match (oh wait, you said you lose more than half, same as every other server).

The changes they're making in regards to the pvp post they put up are NOT encouraging. There's absolutely nothing there that doesn't make it better to be on the 'dominant' side of the server. That is idiotic.

On what planet did of the bolded take place in? Are you mistaking me for someone else?

Just because you don't use a blatantly insulting word like 'idiot' doesn't make the way you're trying to discuss the topic any less inulsting or childlike. It's the work of an infant to just say 'no' to every statement they are presented with, without reason or understanding.

Again. . .
So, let me get this right. You pulled numbers out of your ass, and are saying my argument is invalid because I did not do as much? I gave you an honest impression. Disagree with it, fine. . .

I thought we could have a reasonable discussion on the issue, so I made a reasoned post with numbers I wasted my time getting, just for you. Your response was continually insubstantial. It's fine to disagree, but at least show some reasoning or you're going to look like a fool.

Just for me? You shouldn't have. You really, really. . Really, shouldn't have.

Some advice for you, if you are going to "go out of your way" to try and have a reasonable discussion, you might want to not call them an idiot first thing and man, damn,
"But of course you can keep talking about how your server is amazing and how you never lose a match (oh wait, you said you lose more than half, same as every other server). "

You are trolling. Come on now.

gatti-man

So i did the boarding party and foundry flashpoints last night until 4am and it was totally worth it! I still remember all those criticisms that the game dies after lvl 20. Well for me that hasnt been the case. I should cruise to max with only a few annoyances along the way.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Post 10095

Some people seem to disagree with my post which pointed 10 mistakes according to "ME". I believe you guys agree with some of them and I'm not expecting you too agree with all of them but just giving back negative feedback is kind of mean.

None of what you said warrants any sort of positive response. No one else but you will agree with any of that.

Einbroch

Banned
Man, hit a wall. Got to level 22 and the MMO fatigue/grind set in. Cancelled my subscription.

Not that it's a bad game at all! Just...not feeling it. Really excited for GW2 because it's free and I don't need to commit. If I don't feel like playing for a month, I don't have to, and can come back and play around for a few hours for free. My backlog is:

Bastion
Rayman Origins
Batman: AC
Battlefield 3
Assassin's Creed: Revelations
L.A. Noire
+ a few other smaller games from Steam sales

And soon to be Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Good luck to Empire GAF! And for those who are wondering, Empire questlines are WAYYY better than the Republic ones.

Choc

Banned
how far did you get? i had the same feeling, left it for 3-4 days came back and was like yep i like this again.

those playing 12 hrs a day 7 days a week will obviously hit a wall. Not saying you are doing that, but some people are playing crazy hours!

Einbroch

Banned
how far did you get? i had the same feeling, left it for 3-4 days came back and was like yep i like this again.

those playing 12 hrs a day 7 days a week will obviously hit a wall. Not saying you are doing that, but some people are playing crazy hours!

I just got to Nar Shaddaa. I don't know. I just have no desire to play it. Didn't really yesterday either.

zlatko

Banned
I played about 3 hours today on a buddy's account to try it out. Got to level 5 and had a great time doing it as Jedi Knight.

Definitely want to get my own, but I have to wait and see a bit in case those Diablo 3 in February rumors come to have any weight, as there'd be no point to have KOTOR for a month tops, and then never be touching it with Diablo around.

I actually believe you could improve the graphics a lot by having more stylized graphics. Like I mentioned in my first post a game like Journey has amazing looking graphics compared to a MMO and its a probably a 15$ game which is just a monthly fee of Old Republic.
The reason why I'm comparing it to a AAA game like Skyrim or Final Fantasy it cost around 200$.

I don't know if you are trolling or not, you seem to lack the understanding of basics here. MMOs will never be cutting edge tech, one of important design goals is to make it run on variety of systems to get more people to play. I hope High-Res textures will come, and with AA coming in next patch things should look better.

Getting rid of skill trees was just an example to make it possible to make the game more balanced.
I also think the gameplay isn't good enough, it could be improved a lot if you think outside of the box for moment.
Remember this is just my opinion I don't think the game isn't a huge improvement over World of Warcraft and last generation consoles games have both better graphics and gameplay and I think they could have improved a lot.

First of all last generation consoles don't have an MMO. You are comparing completely different genres here. Do people compare Final Fantasy and CoD? No, it's stupid to do so. So stop now before you ridicule yourself further.

What do you mean by balanced? You cannot balance the game completely, and in MMOs players love to play how THEY want, not how DEVELOPERS want them to play. A lot of great tactics and builds in WoW came from someone who was thinking "outside the box". By removing skill trees you are forcing everyone to play in a specific way.

Einbroch

Banned
Then dont? Do some flashpoints, pvp, or space missions.

All of it. Like, I don't want to play a P2P MMO right now. Flashpoints are too simple (at least at this low level), PVP is stupid with the level 50s stomping everything and CC being out of control, and space missions are just not fun to play for extended periods of time.

Flashponts and operations may be better later, but I have no will nor desire to grind out the next thirty levels. PVP may be fixed, but the PVP bracket patch won't be out before my free month is up and CC is still stupid, and space missions are going to be "improved", not "reworked".

I just don't want to play another WoW right now. Maybe I'm done with the genre. GW2 at least will be free and I won't have to commit to it. Whenever I play a P2P MMO I feel the need to play it instead of other games because I'm paying for it whether I play or not. For what it is, SWTOR is excellent. I just don't think I want to play it anymore.

Top Bottom