• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Dina

Out of curiosity, why a Powertech or Operative? My friend is rolling an IA so I was thinking of rolling an Imperial as well. I already have a 37 Vanguard so I'm not too sure I want to play the mirror of it, and I don't really want to double up on the same class.

You could go Sniper as well, or Mercenary/Commando if you please.

But Vanguards and Scoundrels are amazing in PvP. I wreck shit as a tank while still protecting others. Healers hate me. Scoundrels/Operatives and the stealth tree they have plays a bit like a combat rogue with it's stunlock. It's really, really good when you have proper PvP gear. If I don't have my stunbreak ready, I can lose half my health in a few seconds.

In general, IA has an amazing story so it's worth going Sniper for that alone.

Wow @ Sullust Intercept space mission. First mission ive failed.. and twice. There is a part where my shields and hull go from 100% to 10% hull. Like 50 shielded Ace fighters at one coming head on.. at least 100,000 laser blasts filling my screen. At least.

im going to have to go to Fleet and see about some upgrades.

wtb Robotech missile upgrade
Spend some Fleet Commendations on the EMP Generator and save it for that spot. I don't know any other way to survive that.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
You could go Sniper as well, or Mercenary/Commando if you please.

But Vanguards and Scoundrels are amazing in PvP. I wreck shit as a tank while still protecting others. Healers hate me. Scoundrels/Operatives and the stealth tree they have plays a bit like a combat rogue with it's stunlock. It's really, really good when you have proper PvP gear. If I don't have my stunbreak ready, I can lose half my health in a few seconds.

In general, IA has an amazing story so it's worth going Sniper for that alone.
Lets clear something up. There is no stunlock in this game. There is a 3 second stun that puts your Resolve bar to maximum. If you go from full health to below 50% you are lower level (to get Hidden Strike someone needs to be 36 to begin with) than the Operative. Even then.. remember to break stun.. put a DoT on them and laugh cause thats it. i never ever go after full health players because 1v1 its a lose for me.

Ezel

Neo Member
WTF is going on here? I swore this was concept art...
Not at all!

1_ Game maxed out + AA 8x
2_ Downscale screenshots from 1680x1050 to 1000x625
3_ Adjust brightness, contrast, saturation and vibrance depending on the initial shot
4_ Add a sharpen filter to make the details stand out

TYTHON

REPUBLIC FLEET

ESSELES

bounchfx

Not at all!

1_ Game maxed out + AA 8x
2_ Downscale screenshots from 1680x1050 to 1000x625
3_ Adjust brightness, contrast, saturation and vibrance depending on the initial shot
4_ Add a sharpen filter to make the details stand out

you should tell them to do this normally because it would sure as hell help. those look way better than the game as is. nowhere near what I would consider 'concept art' quality, but boosting all the values and tweaking the entire shot makes a difference indeed. I wonder if they have the ability to add a sharpen filter over the game as a post effect, too? (or if someone could mod it in)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Here's a tip for all those wanting to roll an Empire Inquisitor.

Don't do it.

There's way too much of them and going DPS Sorc means you're going to be fighting with half of the population. They are also not anything special once it gets to the endgame, or most are just flatout terrible with them.

Roll a Powertech or Operative instead. Better classes, better story, better in PvP.

No thanks I like healing on mine.

Heysoos

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=140954

Anyone read this yet? There's an update at the bottom, not sure how recent it is:
//Update.

So, this is what the official known bugs forums says:

If you installed prior to 5:00AM CST on January 4th, 2012, your graphics will display as "Low" even if actual in-game settings are higher due to automatic preference detection.
Workaround: Your graphics setting will display properly once modified and saved.

Workaround: Individual preferences will display properly once modified and saved.

Also, it was stated on 1.0.2 patch that:

Upon a new installation and first launch of the game, settings files and in-game graphics preferences are now consistent with each other.

So, please Bioware, can we get a clarification on this? Does this mean that if we reinstall the game using the online installer, we will get high resolution textures everytime and not only during dialog cutscenes?

If not, any ETA on when the high resolution textures bug will be fixed?

Thanks in advance for answering this confusive situation.

I'm going to give it a shot tonight, got nothing to lose.

Soroc

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=140954

Anyone read this yet? There's an update at the bottom, not sure how recent it is:

I'm going to give it a shot tonight, got nothing to lose.

I was reading through that thread last night. I think In that thread there were a bunch of people that said it still does not change your characters texture quality ingame. So as of right now don't think there is a fix for high resolutions and Bioware removing low/med/high settings on the PTS to just low/high(although same as med) is quite shady. Hopefully they will have a better response soon.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i thought i was done with Chapter 3.. turns out what i fought wasnt the end boss battle. i look forward to wrecking this fools shit. Only blood can sate me now.

Cystm

You are an idiot.

And that's where I stopped reading. Obvious troll is obvious.

You don't sound like a very fun person to play with...

You don't sound like a very good player to play with. . .

Seriously guys? I gave you a valid argument and you give me troll bait.

RiPIe.gif

Amiright?

Heysoos

And that's where I stopped reading. Obvious troll is obvious.

You don't sound like a very good player to play with. . .

Seriously guys? I gave you a valid argument and you give me troll bait.

Amiright?

vfbKzl.png

You "refuse" to read what Yanger responded to you and call his argument troll bait. I'm not sure why you would expect people to waste their time "arguing" with you when you act like this.

Cystm

http://i.imgur.com/vfbKzl.png

You "refuse" to read what Yanger responded to you and call his argument troll bait. I'm not sure why you would expect people to waste their time "arguing" with you when you act like this.

Thanks for chiming in with a gif without understanding the context.

Starting an argument off by calling someone an idiot is hardly anything worth seriously considering. This is not the official forums, and if I wanted to engage in childish name calling I would go there.

I am not interested in childish insults, but I also do not expect people to agree with me always. I do not think it is too much to ask to do so in a mature manner.

How am I supposed to take you seriously when you can't even do that much? Not even passed the first sentence. . .

Is there any proof that there is in game high textures that look same as the cutscene ones? Don't think I've ever seen such a thing in any screens, makes me think that in game textures are meant to be the lower quality ones. Or have people really been able to get those high res textures on their models in game?

KePoW

Banned
Is there any proof that there is in game high textures that look same as the cutscene ones? Don't think I've ever seen such a thing in any screens, makes me think that in game textures are meant to be the lower quality ones. Or have people really been able to get those high res textures on their models in game?

Has Bioware had any official comment on the matter whatsoever?

Has Bioware had any official comment on the matter whatsoever?

Not that I have seen, and thats why I wonder, as I don't remember even seeing any in game pics of these mythical high rez textures. In cutscenes you got clearer everything, but in game it's always been downgraded, some people seem to claim high rez texture option would make the in game models equal to the cut scene ones? Is that even possible or just assumption by many people? In beta there was issues but it was that the in game models would switch to low, which got fixed but still the textures dont look as good as the cutscene ones.

Perhaps it is bugged though, as many say that setting your textures to medium and to high makes no difference in texture quality which has caused the belief that high res textures are not working.

StMeph

Started an Imperial Agent (now 17 Operative) on Keller's Void, but the OP doesn't have any contact info for joining. How do I join Empire GAF?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Why did you choose to make a licensed Star Wars game, the game cost a lot of money a profit margins will not be huge if you partner with Lucas. The only winner will be Lucas with zero investment, no risk and millions in his pockets if this is a success.
You could have used a of your own IP's like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and expanded the universe or made a completely new IP.
Err, what? Lucasarts went to Bioware to work out a deal to get this to happen. This was well before Dragon Age or Mass Effect. Lucasarts were actually more invested in this originally, but IIRC EA wanted a bigger cut and more control so in exchange Lucasarts let EA take over all the publishing responsibility and game design/production oversight and so Lucasarts reduced their involvement to audio production and licensing/marketing oversight in exchange, but as a result EA also had to take over more of the financial risk.

With that low of a population, there actually shouldn't be any additional instances on Taris.

Yep.

Jarmel, if you open up your map, look at the lower right hand side. If it says "Taris 1" or so on, there are multiple instances of that planet. If it just says "Taris," there are no additional instances at all.

XiaNaphryz

Yep.

Jarmel, if you open up your map, look at the lower right hand side. If it says "Taris 1" or so on, there are multiple instances of that planet. If it just says "Taris," there are no additional instances at all.
I haven't seen any instances planets for a while now, as the planet faction population has hovered around 80 from Nar Shaddaa on for me. I think the same group of players who happen to be online when I'm playing are progressing along the same pace, as I'm seeing familiar names running around as I move on to the next planets. Had to temporarily group a few times on Hoth to save time going after the same missions which happen to have longer objective respawns.

Jarmel

Banned
With that low of a population, there actually shouldn't be any additional instances on Taris.

I'll check that next time but if that's true, that's even worse. I mean how are you supposed to do heroics when there are literally 7(and for a good hour it dipped below that) on an entire planet. I thought the servers would be a bit more populated than this.

I haven't seen any instances planets for a while now, as the planet faction population has hovered around 80 from Nar Shaddaa on for me. I think the same group of players who happen to be online when I'm playing are progressing along the same pace, as I'm seeing familiar names running around as I move on to the next planets. Had to temporarily group a few times on Hoth to save time going after the same missions which happen to have longer objective respawns.

I only see instances on the Fleet or the starting planets on Republic side these days.

rockx4

It seems if you click on the holo terminal on your ship, your character textures switch to high-res for a split sec. Someone posted this pic on the SWToR forums.

http://imageshack.us/f/12/swtorhightextures1.png

XiaNaphryz

I'll check that next time but if that's true, that's even worse. I mean how are you supposed to do heroics when there are literally 7(and for a good hour it dipped below that) on an entire planet. I thought the servers would be a bit more populated than this.
I've only seen numbers that low playing at really off-peak hours on my West Coast server, which is pretty much early morning (i.e. 2 AM - 8 AM). I usually play during peak time in the evening due to work.

I only see instances on the Fleet or the starting planets on Republic side these days.
They haven't been any instances on Imperial Fleet on my server in a long time now, which is causing major slowdown/load issues at times due to having 200+ people crammed in the same small area. I have found that Dromund Kaas and Balmorra usually have instances since those are the first starting planets where all the classes come together (Hutta and Korriban don't seem so bad after the initial time at launch). Lots of players have started rolling alts at this point, so its not too surprising.

Dear Bioware,

Can you please include the ability to allow companions to have talent trees? I would love to use some of these other companions you give me, unfortunately as a concelment operative I am not a tank, I can't take a beating for shit making everyone other than Kaliyo and Robo Chick worthless. Giving all the companions talent trees would allow people to play the game how they want instead of being pigeon holed into using a specific talent tree because their companions blow.

As to not have to create more loot to accommodate this change, I propose this. Multipliers within the talent trees, as an example I'll use Raina Temple (IA companion) say I want to make her my tank. I would put points into as an example: Talent Name - Dedication; X% of Cunning is Defense. Talent Name - Attention; Companion damage is reduced, but threat is greatly increased.

I am tired of using Goth Hacker Chick aka Kaliyo who couldn't hold aggro from Mako, despite Kaliyo being in all orange with Defense/Absorb gear out the ass. You know your tank sucks when you spend all of your commendation badges on gearing them and scouring the AH for tanking shit, and she still goes down quicker than a paraplegic trying to stand.

vaelic

Banned
Dear Bioware,

Can you please include the ability to allow companions to have talent trees? I would love to use some of these other companions you give me, unfortunately as a concelment operative I am not a tank, I can't take a beating for shit making everyone other than Kaliyo and Robo Chick worthless. Giving all the companions talent trees would allow people to play the game how they want instead of being pigeon holed into using a specific talent tree because their companions blow.

As to not have to create more loot to accommodate this change, I propose this. Multipliers within the talent trees, as an example I'll use Raina Temple (IA companion) say I want to make her my tank. I would put points into as an example: Talent Name - Dedication; X% of Cunning is Defense. Talent Name - Attention; Companion damage is reduced, but threat is greatly increased.

I am tired of using Goth Hacker Chick aka Kaliyo who couldn't hold aggro from Mako, despite Kaliyo being in all orange with Defense/Absorb gear out the ass. You know your tank sucks when you spend all of your commendation badges on gearing them and scouring the AH for tanking shit, and she still goes down quicker than a paraplegic trying to stand.

No just no

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Dear Bioware,

Did this become a problem at a certain level? Kaliyo never had problems holding aggro for me. After i got Vector though i used him solely except for boss battles. He tears people apart much quicker than Kaliyo and ends the battle with about as much health as she would.

Also...add the ability to hide companion helms, as your lead designer sucks at them.

No just no

Very eloquent and well written, will read again!

Did this become a problem at a certain level? Kaliyo never had problems holding aggro for me. After i got Vector though i used him solely except for boss battles. He tears people apart much quicker than Kaliyo and ends the battle with about as much health as she would.

Its mostly a problem when you're fighting 5+ mobs at level 50. Kaliyo is honestly the worst of the "tank" companions, there's a huge thread on her sucking ass. I tried using Vector but he dies way too quickly.

Temple though is kinda tearin through shit like a boss; only problem is she is made to pump out damage, but isn't a fan of taking it. I find the whole swapping out companions consistently depending on the mob to be cumbersome as fuck, but some people like it. Honestly, I keep Kaliyo because she's a sponge. She keeps everyone off me which is all I need, but I get tired of her basically being.....garbage at the only thing she's good at. People say Robo chick is much better, so I might reserve complaints until I get her.

Also Temple > Mako / Vette

Come at me bros.

General chat still is shared across instances of a planet, if you want to group up with players just use chat and when you group up you load into their instance. You are not restricted to only playing with those 7 people in an instance.

KePoW

Banned
this wasn't a feature in the game till years later. I believe they didn't add it till cata. Only way to swap sets were through mods, iirc.

It was in before Cataclysm.

You are right that it wasn't at launch though, but still... I don't think you should compare a current-day MMO to WoW at launch. It's totally different times and expected that new MMOs should be more feature complete nowdays.

Blackface

Banned
Out of curiosity, why a Powertech or Operative? My friend is rolling an IA so I was thinking of rolling an Imperial as well. I already have a 37 Vanguard so I'm not too sure I want to play the mirror of it, and I don't really want to double up on the same class.

Operative/Scoundral is the most broken over-powered shit in the game, thats why.

This is coming from an IA.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Operative/Scoundral is the most broken over-powered shit in the game, thats why.

This is coming from an IA.
Disagree entirely. It wasnt until level 36 i felt i could help my team at PvP. And 40 until i felt powerful in any sense. During this time i was outclassed three times over by level 15s of every type.

Things might change when you get high Expertise but against other players with Expertise theyll survive the initial burst, throw a DoT on you, and run away while you get shot down.

Anyway.. Belsavis so far is my favorite planet. The class quest so far is totally awesome and the planetary quests are as well. The whole concept of the planet i adore. The NPC conversations are hilarious.

Imperial Officer: "Next! Name, please."
Prisoner: "Kateo."
Officer: "Lets see here.. ah, there you are. "Killer" Kateo, butchered an entire squad of Republic soldier with.. a shiv?"
Prisoner: "Thats me."
Officer: "Someone get this man a blaster! Welcome to the Imperial Army, Kateo. If theres anything else we can get you.. perhaps something dull and rusty.. just ask."

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
you compare a AAA game on a console and Old Republic

This line pretty much sums up your review. Getting rid of skill trees? Really? This is not a single player RPG where everyone is Commander Shepard or a shooter like CoD where pretty much the only thing you have to worry about is what gun you're currently holding.

Top Bottom