• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
What settings are using to get your trAA to work? Maybe your running a different compatibility mode or something.

One issue I notice with this game is heat. This game runs so much hotter then any game I've played with this pc. Gets as high as 71c. I've seen quiet a few topics on this issue at the official board as well.
I just force it through the Nvidia Control Panel.

Haven't had any heat issues on either my CPU or GPU, but I have a pretty high-end CPU cooler, a big case, and lots of fans. GPU has a Twin Frozr II cooler on it.

Kalnos

Banned
You are having nostalgia glasses. Early MMOs had a great sense of community because: a. MMOs were new

MMOs weren't anything new when WoW came out and it had a great community. The 'nostalgia goggles' thing is really annoying and dismissive.

Also, @Alex, pugs were just as awful in Vanilla WoW and it sucked because it took ages to get your awful pugs to the instance only to wipe. Bad players aren't some new development created by modern WoW.

On another note: I'm getting really annoyed with the zone instancing. Was out leveling earlier, our instance of the planet, the first instance mind you, had 14 people in it, the second had 78. Fucking annoying to have to stop and check and swap... I understand, possibly, if it was some 200 person swamped area but come on. It's silly as is.

WHAT? WHAT? WHAT? You are telling me each planet is divided into "rooms" having different players that I can switch between? How do I do that? No wonder the game felt barren.

CzarTim

WHAT? WHAT? WHAT? You are telling me each planet is divided into "rooms" having different players that I can switch between? How do I do that? No wonder the game felt barren.

Most of the time it's not instanced. If you open your map, it'll say if it is on the bottom right. Cap seems to be fairly large (well over 100).

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Most of the time it's not instanced. If you open your map, it'll say if it is on the bottom right. Cap seems to be fairly large (well over 100).

In my experience -and this entirely anecdotal, I know - I'd say 50% of the time I'm playing the planet is instanced, and a VAST majority of the time, there are less than 100 on the more full instance, and less than 50 on the less full one.

Drives me insane. No reason you can't have 150 on one instance. As I've said in the past, I'd actually prefer many times that if the game could support it without making quests a chore.

CzarTim

In my experience -and this entirely anecdotal, I know - I'd say 50% of the time I'm playing the planet is instanced, and a VAST majority of the time, there are less than 100 on the more full instance, and less than 50 on the less full one.

I've had the opposite experience. Don't think I've seen an instance since launch week. I leveled ahead of the curve though.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Can someone tell me how to have skill bars on the sides. I reached 50 and now I have waaaaay to many skills to fit in two bars.

Heysoos

Okay, we're starting to get more 50s every day in the Republic guild. Here are some small tips for those hoping to join some of us that are starting to run Hard Mode Flashpoints.

Start doing your Ilum/Belsavis dailies. Once you hit 50, the Ilum storyline opens up to you, it's relatively simple, and short, despite being a little annoying. Complete it. It shouldn't take you too long, it will go a lot faster if you team up though, and make it a lot more enjoyable. Ilum storyline feels very rushed/dull. The real reason you're here though, is not for the story, it's for the rewards. Besides the main storyline questline of Ilum, there will be a handful other quests that you will be able to do daily. These quests will reward you with Daily Commendations. While the amount seems small, these come in very, very handy, and will play a role in preparing you to run some of these HM FPs. You can trade in these for either level 23 (Purple) Armoring/Barrels/Hilts. This is where you're going to get your Armoring and either Hilt/Barrel for you items. Belsavis also has bonus series quest, you pick up the bonus series in the Fleet, I believe. Get it done, as it opens up the Heroics, which is going to be your main source of purple mods/enhancements/etc.

Okay, now that I've slightly brushed up on the daily quests, it's time to talk about the daily Heroics. There will be a Heroic 2 in Ilum, Darkness on Ilum. This will award you with the option to pick one of 4 enhancements. These will be class specific, I believe, so pick the one that is right for your build. These are the options I get to pick from as a Commando.
  • Advanced Battle Enhancement 22
  • Advanced Vigilant Enhancement 22
  • Advanced Initiative Enhancement 22
  • Advanced Quick Savant Enhancement 22
Pick the one that best suits your class.

Next we will travel to Belsavis, there are 3 Heroics there. 1 [Heroic 2] and 3 [Heroic 4]. Similar to the Ilum Heroics, these will award you with level 22 Purple enhancements/mods/armoring, that are Class specific. One of the Heroics will give your companion a nice weapon also. The armoring that you will get from "The Stasis Generator" Heroic, is not the level 23 Armoring you can buy with your Daily Commendations on Ilum, but it should do well enough until you can buy the 23 armorings from the Daily Comms vendor on Ilum. Best case, you want to end up with each armor you have to be:
  • Armoring (51)
  • Mod (50)
  • Enhancement (50)
All purple, of course.

Now another thing you want to use to supplement this is Ilum Weekly/Daily PVP missions. While these are going to change once 1.1 hits, right now you'll want to take advantage of how easy they are to do. Basically you will go to the Ilum Open World PVP area, and destroy the enemy tanks to build up your Daily/Weekly. Shouldn't take too long and there will be usually Imperial players there too doing it, don't be so rash and attack though, most are there to do their Daily/Weekly also. Try find one a spot where Rep/Imps are going back and forth destroying tanks in order to build up your Daily/Weekly count. The weekly will reward you with 2 champion bags and a choice of one champion bag or one Battlemaster gear bag. (Pick the champion, unless you're Valor 60.. but if you're Valor 60 you probably won't be reading this lol) The daily also rewards you with 1 Champion bag. These champion bags randomly give you something, it could either be a piece of Champion level armor/etc that you can go exchange to the PVP Vendor, or Centurion Commendations. The armor/weapon/implant you can get from the bag is not an actual piece of armor, rather it's more of a commendation which let's you choose one piece of gear from different Champion sets. For example, if you get a chest piece, you can then go exchange that chest piece for one of the 4 different chest pieces available. Choose the one that is better suited to your build of course. Don't want to go into too much detail here but if you have more questions about how Champion bags/Ilum PVP Dailies work feel free to ask me in game. Anyways, the main thing I was trying to convey, is that these pieces of Champion armor will also be very helpful to get you started in end game Hard Modes, at least until you can pick up better PVE armor. You can also get more bags by buying them for 200 Warzone & 200 Mercenary Commendations and doing your Win Warzones PVP Daily/Weekly.

If there's enough interest from the 50s we have in the Republic side right now, me and Aran will be running two groups to do the Heroics tomorrow so you can get a handle on what to do/where to go/etc. If there's not enough people, but you would still like to learn what to do, feel free to send me a whisper or let me know in clan chat, and I'll be more than glad to guide you.

If I missed anything, I apologize, it's 3 AM and I'm really sleepy. If you don't understand something, again feel free to ask. Might not be the clearest post, but I hope some of the information can help you.

Sappy113

Sorry bro, you rolled PvP.

You go far enough back in this thread you'll find plenty of people trying to warn others that this kind of garbage is standard on PvP servers.

When you roll on a PvP server, that doesn't typically mean that you'll end up facing off against the opposite faction in massive fun filled PvP battles. What it typically means is that there will be days where you cannot get shit done because you're getting camped and griefed.

Many people that roll on PvP servers are probably good people who like to have that feeling of danger and want to square off in open world fights against others. However, there are also many scum bag wastes of fucking oxygen who think their only purpose in life is to make everyone else's gaming experience as fucking miserable as possible.

Today it's the quest givers, tomorrow it'll be the taxi drivers. Hope you bought Speeder Piloting III.

Well said, Sir. This is the reason I'm back to avoiding PvP servers. I love me some PvP, I love the often tense and hilarious situations that arise when you randomly pick a fight with another, equal player. I like how it forces you to react and adapt and learn what your class can or cannot do in various situations.

It still doesn't measure up to the fact that, with limited playtime, I just don't feel like having to risk these fuckheads wasting my time.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Okay, we're starting to get more 50s every day in the Republic guild. Here are some small tips for those hoping to join some of us that are starting to run Hard Mode Flashpoints.

Start doing your Ilum/Belsavis dailies. Once you hit 50, the Ilum storyline opens up to you, it's relatively simple, and short, despite being a little annoying. Complete it. It shouldn't take you too long, it will go a lot faster if you team up though, and make it a lot more enjoyable. Ilum storyline feels very rushed/dull. The real reason you're here though, is not for the story, it's for the rewards. Besides the main storyline questline of Ilum, there will be a handful other quests that you will be able to do daily. These quests will reward you with Daily Commendations. While the amount seems small, these come in very, very handy, and will play a role in preparing you to run some of these HM FPs. You can trade in these for either level 23 (Purple) Armoring/Barrels/Hilts. This is where you're going to get your Armoring and either Hilt/Barrel for you items. Belsavis also has bonus series quest, you pick up the bonus series in the Fleet, I believe. Get it done, as it opens up the Heroics, which is going to be your main source of purple mods/enhancements/etc.

Okay, now that I've slightly brushed up on the daily quests, it's time to talk about the daily Heroics. There will be a Heroic 2 in Ilum, Darkness on Ilum. This will award you with the option to pick one of 4 enhancements. These will be class specific, I believe, so pick the one that is right for your build. These are the options I get to pick from as a Commando.
  • Advanced Battle Enhancement 22
  • Advanced Vigilant Enhancement 22
  • Advanced Initiative Enhancement 22
  • Advanced Quick Savant Enhancement 22
Pick the one that best suits your class.

Next we will travel to Belsavis, there are 3 Heroics there. 1 [Heroic 2] and 3 [Heroic 4]. Similar to the Ilum Heroics, these will award you with level 22 Purple enhancements/mods/armoring, that are Class specific. One of the Heroics will give your companion a nice weapon also. The armoring that you will get from "The Stasis Generator" Heroic, is not the level 23 Armoring you can buy with your Daily Commendations on Ilum, but it should do well enough until you can buy the 23 armorings from the Daily Comms vendor on Ilum. Best case, you want to end up with each armor you have to be:
  • Armoring (51)
  • Mod (50)
  • Enhancement (50)
All purple, of course.

Now another thing you want to use to supplement this is Ilum Weekly/Daily PVP missions. While these are going to change once 1.1 hits, right now you'll want to take advantage of how easy they are to do. Basically you will go to the Ilum Open World PVP area, and destroy the enemy tanks to build up your Daily/Weekly. Shouldn't take too long and there will be usually Imperial players there too doing it, don't be so rash and attack though, most are there to do their Daily/Weekly also. Try find one a spot where Rep/Imps are going back and forth destroying tanks in order to build up your Daily/Weekly count. The weekly will reward you with 2 champion bags and a choice of one champion bag or one Battlemaster gear bag. (Pick the champion, unless you're Valor 60.. but if you're Valor 60 you probably won't be reading this lol) The daily also rewards you with 1 Champion bag. These champion bags randomly give you something, it could either be a piece of Champion level armor/etc that you can go exchange to the PVP Vendor, or Centurion Commendations. The armor/weapon/implant you can get from the bag is not an actual piece of armor, rather it's more of a commendation which let's you choose one piece of gear from different Champion sets. For example, if you get a chest piece, you can then go exchange that chest piece for one of the 4 different chest pieces available. Choose the one that is better suited to your build of course. Don't want to go into too much detail here but if you have more questions about how Champion bags/Ilum PVP Dailies work feel free to ask me in game. Anyways, the main thing I was trying to convey, is that these pieces of Champion armor will also be very helpful to get you started in end game Hard Modes, at least until you can pick up better PVE armor. You can also get more bags by buying them for 200 Warzone & 200 Mercenary Commendations and doing your Win Warzones PVP Daily/Weekly.

If there's enough interest from the 50s we have in the Republic side right now, me and Aran will be running two groups to do the Heroics tomorrow so you can get a handle on what to do/where to go/etc. If there's not enough people, but you would still like to learn what to do, feel free to send me a whisper or let me know in clan chat, and I'll be more than glad to guide you.

If I missed anything, I apologize, it's 3 AM and I'm really sleepy. If you don't understand something, again feel free to ask. Might not be the clearest post, but I hope some of the information can help you.

Thanks for the tips!

daoster

Colicoid Waaaaarrrr Gaaaaaaaaames

487b2053.jpg

lol, that was such a frustrating FP!

So I have a question about the story and character romances...

Not spoilers, but I'm hiding it just in case.

Apparently, I can romance two characters....can I pursue both at once, and is there a cut off point? Or once I go down one character route, I'm SOL with the other one?

glaurung

Playing a Sith Assassin on an EU RP server.

Found the silliest/stupid bug last night: if you open the inventory by clicking the bag icon at the top of the screen, the reverse engineering button is not displayed. I thought I was going insane when I couldn't re-engineer my loot, but then somebody told me that when you press the I key instead, the re-engineering button is present.

WTG BioWare, this is some grade A lack of QA.

Izayoi

Banned
Eternity Vault was awesome (really liked the atypical boss fights), but kinda easy.

Is the 16-man version any more difficult, or does it just buff mob health etc?

swtor2012-01-1021-57-mnv99.png

Definitely the coolest looking instance in the game. Going to go back and take some screenshots.

Tacitus_

Drives me insane. No reason you can't have 150 on one instance. As I've said in the past, I'd actually prefer many times that if the game could support it without making quests a chore.

While their servers certainly can take it, the game doesn't have a dynamic spawning system. I tried to do a "kill 9 guys here" quest with four other players in the area (who refused to group with me to share kills for some stupid reason) and it took ages of camping a spawn site to get it.

TheYanger

Keep in mind, it's instancing based off of the number of players on both factions. You can easily have say, 75 and 75, or even 150 and 25 and then get a split. Also, as noted by other posters, the people who say 'Oh THAT's why it's barren' are full of shit, there are RARELY instanced versions of planets beyond the first couple on any of the servers I've been on. There aren't like 5 magical versions of ilum with a dozen people each, there's REALLY only one instance, and it REALLY only has 4 people on it in my experience.

Playing a Sith Assassin on an EU RP server.

Found the silliest/stupid bug last night: if you open the inventory by clicking the bag icon at the top of the screen, the reverse engineering button is not displayed. I thought I was going insane when I couldn't re-engineer my loot, but then somebody told me that when you press the I key instead, the re-engineering button is present.

WTG BioWare, this is some grade A lack of QA.

Wow, just tried that and I'm stunned lol. They've let some truly facepalm worthy issues through. That's not major of course, I assume most people use B or I to open their bags, but like...how does that even exist as a bug.

On another note: I'm getting really annoyed with the zone instancing. Was out leveling earlier, our instance of the planet, the first instance mind you, had 14 people in it, the second had 78. Fucking annoying to have to stop and check and swap... I understand, possibly, if it was some 200 person swamped area but come on. It's silly as is.

Main problem with instancing is this. An instance becomes full so a new one is made and a few people get put into it. Then the full instance loses players eventually and suddenly has open space and players are no longer being put into the new instance that only has a few people in it. So you get players who know this and switch out of instances leaving a handful stuck in an instanced zone wondering wtf is going on.

Wow, just tried that and I'm stunned lol. They've let some truly facepalm worthy issues through. That's not major of course, I assume most people use B or I to open their bags, but like...how does that even exist as a bug.

Game was in testing for a long time, yet this is the first I've seen anyone actually notice this. These little things should have been caught in beta. The end game exploits are largely failure of Bioware to get that content properly tested, but lot of these little things like this really should have been caught during all the beta periods.

sangreal

lol, that was such a frustrating FP!

So I have a question about the story and character romances...

Not spoilers, but I'm hiding it just in case.

Apparently, I can romance two characters....can I pursue both at once, and is there a cut off point? Or once I go down one character route, I'm SOL with the other one?

They will make you choose, I believe

Zafir

Sigh. People in warzones are such idiots. I even mark the healers when I'm the leader, and they still don't go for them and kill them so they aren't just healing everyone else back up when we damage them.

Edit: Then you requeue and get put up against a guild team. Maybe I should just take the hint and only play when my guild mates are.

Hari Seldon

Reading through this thread it is surprising to me how many people are saying that they are not leveled enough for stuff. I'm severely over-leveled for everything and I haven't done a single warzone yet. I have done every level appropriate flashpoint only once, maybe skipped 1-2 quests total. And I finished Act I at level 36 and I am now going through Nar Shadda bonus at level 37 (level 31 quests). Are people missing out on portions of the map or something?

Reading through this thread it is surprising to me how many people are saying that they are not leveled enough for stuff. I'm severely over-leveled for everything and I haven't done a single warzone yet. I have done every level appropriate flashpoint only once, maybe skipped 1-2 quests total. And I finished Act I at level 36 and I am now going through Nar Shadda bonus at level 37 (level 31 quests). Are people missing out on portions of the map or something?

Seems strange to me as well. Since Balmorra (Imperial) you are way overleveled for things, 3-4 levels is the norm.

I imagine lot of people are skipping lot of quests, flashpoints, space mission xp (Got 40k+ xp last night just doing 2 space missions), pvp and alot of the little things and just pushing through the class quest stuff and hitting walls. The game pours xp at you for every little thing that it's difficult to not be over leveled. I skipped most of Alderaan because of it and I'm still over leveled. But rather not keep skipping ahead to the class quests as later down the line I imagine I will hit a wall near 50 because I skipped too much prior.

Also have to imagine lot of players who are playing the game alot and been leveling up real fast in this, have not been taking much breaks so they also don't build up rest and that double xp

I didn't skip many quests and I'm leveled where I should be at 45. What I did do is not bother with any of the "bonus quests" and I actually stealthed to most of the quest objectives that didn't require killing anything.

edit: And by bonus quests, I mean the "kill 25 of these assholes while doing this other quest" quests.

Meier

Man, I did a Windows Update yesterday and have had repeated problems with Error 9000s and some Error 2005 or something. This blows...

Can't stay connected. Sucks.

jiien

Yeah, I'm level 43 and I just started Hoth. My fear is that stuff will start going gray. I don't skip anything though, and I'm doing everything with some friends, so we do every heroic as well.

Zafir

Yeah, I was always over levelled for each planet I went to. Originally I was always 2 levels over, then it went down to 1 after hoth. Oh and that was without doing heroic quests.

cametall

I'm level 32 now. I did all of Balmorra but skipped a large chunk of Nar Shadda.

I did all of Tatooine and I'm on Alderaan now, but I plan on skipping even more content there because mobs seem to be 3-4 levels below me.

Will I be the correct level (between 34-35) for the next planet my class quest takes me to?

As a side note: I plan on doing more of Nar Shadda and Alderaan on an alt, and doing less of Balmorra and Tatooine.

I'm level 32 now. I did all of Balmorra but skipped a large chunk of Nar Shadda.

I did all of Tatooine and I'm on Alderaan now, but I plan on skipping even more content there because mobs seem to be 3-4 levels below me.

Will I be the correct level (between 34-35) for the next planet my class quest takes me to?

As a side note: I plan on doing more of Nar Shadda and Alderaan on an alt, and doing less of Balmorra and Tatooine.

Next will be Taris for you and at 34-35 you are not overly leveled, but you will be higher than a bunch of the content.

I'm basically skipping stuff figuring that since I will be doing alts, that I will play the skipped content with them so its somewhat fresh on next play throughs to experience the other class stories. I skipped most of Alderaan so with my alt I will probably do most of Alderaan and experience what I missed out on. I did almost all of Balmorra and was way overleveled, so with my alt I will skip most of it.

frequency

I was over-leveled but it evened out.
Note that even being over-leveled, the game is never as "easy" as WoW and other WoW-likes. The difficulty for me is because each encounter is designed so that you're fighting groups all the time. I can only CC droids. My tank companion can't keep threat off me on more than 1 enemy.

I do every normal quest I come by and I do bonus series (except for Nar Shaddaa, which I didn't find until it was already grey to me). I do the Space Missions if I happen to be on my ship, but there's no convenient way to travel to/from your ship if you're in the middle of a planet. So I don't do them every day.

I don't do Heroics because I can never find a group.
I don't do Flashpoints because I can never find a group.
I don't do Warzones because Republic GAF is always complaining about non-50's in WZ so I don't want to be "part of the problem".

Note: I know if I spam /1 enough, I can find groups, but I don't want to do that. I don't have a lot of time to play and I don't want to spend what little time I have spamming /1 on the fleet. I won't spam /1 on a planet for heroics because there's no auto attack. My choice is either to 1) fight 2) chat. So you know... I choose to fight.

Jeez, Balmorra really does drag on and on

I feel every planet overstays its welcome.

Jeez, Balmorra really does drag on and on

You can skip ahead if you want. Balmorra and Taris on the Rep side are both like the two longest planets early on. The following planets really move much faster but you also learn that you don't have to do every quest you find to just move on. As long as you are leveled high enough, just do your class quests to move forward

Patryn

Approaching the end of the prologue with my JK. Fascinating that they visit Ord Mantell for their story, while the Trooper is never forced to visit Tython.

Zafir

I feel every planet overstays its welcome.

Agreed. Even Nar Shaddaa, which I loved. The first time you go there the length is about right, but the bonus series just makes you sick of the planet. Just when you think you're done, another 5 quests pop up in the outpost you're in, or alternatively you get sent to a new outpost with 5 new questgivers.

sangreal

I was done with Hoth/Act 2 by 37 :/

I've been underlevel since going to Alderaan around 26 and I haven't really skipped anything other than group content. I skipped Quesh but I went back when Belsavis was too hard. I've also done a fair amount of PvP and Space missions

Azzurri

I have characters both on the Imp and Rep side server. Imp are at least 2/1 maybe more. The Rep fleet hovers around 170, while the Imp has around 300. I don't mind it since I like my Sage much more then my BH, but I can go back and forth.

Meier

The planets are definitely too long and too large. Belsavis is absurdly huge. Hopefully whenever there is an expansion, they add a significant number of other mid range planets to provide some variety.

I am not sure why people are so opposed to just abandoning quests and moving on though. If you're bored of the planet, just leave it. Do your class stuff and GTFO.

Interfectum

The planets are definitely too long and too large. Belsavis is absurdly huge. Hopefully whenever there is an expansion, they add a significant number of other mid range planets to provide some variety.

I am not sure why people are so opposed to just abandoning quests and moving on though. If you're bored of the planet, just leave it. Do your class stuff and GTFO.

That's what I've been doing.

sangreal

You are having nostalgia glasses. Early MMOs had a great sense of community because: a. MMOs were new, we didn't have YT, and other websites like Wowwiki.com and Torhead.com; b. Internet was new as well, not many people had access to it (we are talking early 2000s).

What the... MMOs were not new in the early 2000s, let alone when WoW came out. Certainly not the internet or guide sites. I'll give you Youtube

Top Bottom