• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

KePoW

Banned
As I said before, I doubt its a bug really as there never has been in game high res textures. I don't think it was ever intended and there must be some kind of technical limitation in the engine that is stopping them from simply allowing them in game. Unlike other posts where they simply say they are aware or are working on it, it sounds like hes going to give reasons why there is no in game high textures.

That would suck balls.

SWG had the best community I've ever seen in a MMO.

I agree.. I haven't had one negative experience yet minus one.

And funny enough that one came from the GAF Empire guild when some people told me my 'Republic Character needs more dos' and mocked me because I couldn't kill them (I was also lvl 30ish and they were level 50)..

E-penis wars are so retarded..

As I said before, I doubt its a bug really as there never has been in game high res textures. I don't think it was ever intended and there must be some kind of technical limitation in the engine that is stopping them from simply allowing them in game. Unlike other posts where they simply say they are aware or are working on it, it sounds like hes going to give reasons why there is no in game high textures.

I could have sworn we had high res textures in the beta, but I could be remembering wrong. Regardless, I'm hoping there will be some light at the end of the tunnel on this subject, I don't think its a deal breaker for the game, but I do think its a large oversight and glaring negative for them to neglect at least the ability to put them in at some point.

Ningo

So these two were trying to gank imperials by standing in their aoe whilst flagged, I taught them their lesson by killing them. Then I decided to just alternately sleep dart them and to my surprise after 5 minutes of this I automatically unflagged.

They brought a friend to sneak up on me, that didn't work

The reinforcements came

Hello!

"I never asked for this" Oh but your brother in arms did.

The End.

Choc

Banned
should bioware do anything about the republic/imperial purposely standing near quests points they know the other faction must go to and continuosly ganking them (level 50s are doing it, a LOT)

i know PVP, you have to deal with this, but it is ruining the game somewhat for some people. People can't progress any quests as 50s are standing there ganking them 24/7

There are imperials waiting at teh end of the 30 minute ballon ride on tatooine the republic dudes take to get the datacron and ganking them

at first its kinda funny lols, but to do it 24/7 is kinda mean :p

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
should bioware do anything about the republic/imperial purposely standing near quests points they know the other faction must go to and continuosly ganking them (level 50s are doing it, a LOT)

i know PVP, you have to deal with this, but it is ruining the game somewhat for some people. People can't progress any quests as 50s are standing there ganking them 24/7

There are imperials waiting at teh end of the 30 minute ballon ride on tatooine the republic dudes take to get the datacron and ganking them

Welcome to PvP servers.

bill0527

I paid for this. I'm trying to play with other people and enjoy it and take advantage of the time I've already paid for.

Yeah well...I paid for 30 minutes worth of parking once and only needed 5 minutes to get my business done. I didn't sit there the other 25 minutes even though I paid for it.

hamchan

Nah they can't do anything about it. That's just what happens when you roll on a PvP server.

Isn't the balloon ride for everyone? The lady and I did it on our alts the other day, and we're imperials. She also missed the jump, I felt so bad. :lol

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

No they shouldn't cater to the babies. You picked PvP so deal with it.

Einbroch

Banned
hey i dont mind it, but perhaps for newbies they could have a bigger warning about what PVP really means

Uh. Don't they have a huge fucking warning whenever you log onto a PVP server? Even if you have characters on it?

It's fine. PVP. Player versus player. All the time.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
hey i dont mind it, but perhaps for newbies they could have a bigger warning about what PVP really means
The warning about PvP servers that comes up when selecting one is pretty clear about it. If someone skips the text, its their own fault.

bill0527

Sorry bro, you rolled PvP.

You go far enough back in this thread you'll find plenty of people trying to warn others that this kind of garbage is standard on PvP servers.

When you roll on a PvP server, that doesn't typically mean that you'll end up facing off against the opposite faction in massive fun filled PvP battles. What it typically means is that there will be days where you cannot get shit done because you're getting camped and griefed.

Many people that roll on PvP servers are probably good people who like to have that feeling of danger and want to square off in open world fights against others. However, there are also many scum bag wastes of fucking oxygen who think their only purpose in life is to make everyone else's gaming experience as fucking miserable as possible.

Today it's the quest givers, tomorrow it'll be the taxi drivers. Hope you bought Speeder Piloting III.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I agree.. I haven't had one negative experience yet minus one.

And funny enough that one came from the GAF Empire guild when some people told me my 'Republic Character needs more dos' and mocked me because I couldn't kill them (I was also lvl 30ish and they were level 50)..

E-penis wars are so retarded..

lol I remember that I think.

Varna

Some kind of compression is definitely going on with the textures that are indeed in game. How else do you explain every single piece of armor looking a lot more crisp and detailed in cutscenes? They can at least address that problem.

Some kind of compression is definitely going on with the textures that are indeed in game. How else do you explain every single piece of armor looking a lot more crisp and detailed in cutscenes? They can at least address that problem.

I think the engine probably will collapse or something under its own weight if they turn on those textures or something, because there must be some big reason why they aren't allowed in game.

Hawk269

I have been looking at alot of the screen shots where people are able to show both the hi-res textures and the ones we are seeing most of the game and the difference is pretty big. The fact that they show up under weird conditions means that they are in there, but for some reason not activated.

If the concern is performance, well that is why you have sliders..if you have a computer that has the balls to run the game at a good clip and hi-res textures, then we should have the option.

I have a killer rig and I am still getting some FPS issues, mainly on the factions main hub area, but this only happened after the 1.1 patch. Prior to this and during early start, I would primarily be at 60fps alsmot anywhere in the game. After the patch, on the main hub I can dip to as low as 20fps and this is not in a heavy populated area of the hub. So there are definately some performance issues that still need to be addressed. The good news is the majority of my playtime I am rock solid 60fps and this with the .ini setting of 8xAA and plant density set at 200.

I think the reason we may not get the hi-res textures is the fact that alot of people wont be able to run it and still get a good fps. The game is not very well optomized as it is, add in hi-res textures and AA and for alot of folks the fps will take a nose dive. This will then drive even more posts here and on the official site complaining about poor peformance with the game. Granted, the game has some great graphics moments, but let's be honest it is not all that great looking overall and no reason that a decent rig cant run it at 4xaa at 1080p at a solid 60fps. The fact that this is not happening and that is why we probably wont see the hi-res texures.

Varna

I have a pretty nice rig too. i5-2500k @ 4.6GHZ, Dual 580GTXs and 4GB of ram. And for the visuals the game is producing the performance is quiet bad. Imperial fleet runs at a solid 60 in certain areas but once I start panning the camera it just start chugging. I expect this kind of thing in an MMO since there can be a huge number of players on screen... but this game uses heavy instancing... and performance issues aren't limited to player heavy areas. Just in the main section of Aldeeran it doesn't run at a solid 60 with very few players.

(this is w/ max settings, x4 AA and x2 SS TrAA)

Also one thing I noticed is that heavy drops seem to happen regardless of setting. I ran this game on low just to test things out and there was still a lot of Frame-rate drops at the fleet.

nataku

Don't have a good feeling on what they'll be saying. Sounds like we're going to get a "no high res textures and this is why" post as opposed to what I was hoping would be "Hey we're going to give them to you soon guys!" :lol

Yeah, that's what I'm getting from that post as well. It's really disappointing. The character textures are horrible. I don't care what the technical reason is, they need to figure it out and get it fixed.

This is unacceptable in a game released today.

XiaNaphryz

I have a pretty nice rig too. i5-2500k @ 4.6GHZ, Dual 580GTXs and 4GB of ram. And for the visuals the game is producing the performance is quiet bad. Imperial fleet runs at a solid 60 in certain areas but once I start panning the camera it just start chugging. I expect this kind of thing in an MMO since there can be a huge number of players on screen... but this game uses heavy instancing... and performance issues aren't limited to player heavy areas. Just in the main section of Aldeeran it doesn't run at a solid 60 with very few players.

Also one thing I noticed is that heavy drops seem to happen regardless of setting. I ran this game on low just to test things out and there was still a lot of Frame-rate drops at the fleet.
I don't see any issues on my rig at maxed out settings outside of Imperial Fleet when 200+ people are on and a ton of people are on the inner ring and I happen to be looking that way. Besides that, I've seen no framerate issues anywhere else. Might be something else on your end, I have similar specs (i7-2600k @ 4.4 GHz, GTX 570) but more RAM (16 GB). I'm also running on a SSD if it matters.

KePoW

Banned
I don't see any issues on my rig at maxed out settings outside of Imperial Fleet when 200+ people are on and a ton of people are on the inner ring and I happen to be looking that way. Besides that, I've seen no framerate issues anywhere else. Might be something else on your end, I have similar specs (i7-2600k @ 4.4 GHz, GTX 570) but more RAM (16 GB). I'm also running on a SSD if it matters.

What AA settings are you using?

XiaNaphryz

What AA settings are you using?
This is what I have in my .ini file (not sure if it all actually does stuff or not though):

[Renderer]
D3DFullScreen = true
Height = 1200
NativeHeight = 1080
NativeWidth = 1920
RefreshRate = 60
TextureAnisotropy = 16
Width = 1920
WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0
MeshLODQuality = 1
AntiAliasingLevel = 8
SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25
DynamicLightsLimit = 4
FarClipScale = 3.9371195
PlantDensity = 150
doShadows = true
doBlobShadows = true
UseMinSpecShaders = false
EnableBloom = true
VerticalSyncState = true
FullScreen = true
TextureQuality = 0
AllowDepthOfField = true
GammaRamp = 1.037854
enableadvenvirolighting = true
DebugAdvEnviroLighting = true

Varna

We have had this conversation before. :)

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with my rig. Everything other game is performing as well as could be expected with my hardware. And I have zero issues with stability (this is the most stable PC I've ever built). There is just something about this game, you just take a peek over at any forum and see that I am not alone.

What settings are using to get your trAA to work? Maybe your running a different compatibility mode or something.

One issue I notice with this game is heat. This game runs so much hotter then any game I've played with this pc. Gets as high as 71c. I've seen quiet a few topics on this issue at the official board as well.

CAW

I thought there was some kind of anti-ganking system in this game, or they had planned to put something in but never did/decided against it? I could have sworn I read that in either a developer blog or twitter. Something about level 50 players (or just players higher level in general) killing lower levels or something. I guess nothing was ever implemented?

I've always played on PvP servers and when higher levels are being dicks to stroke their epeen the best defence I find is to request help in general or if you have to, port to the fleet and in general just explain the situation. There's always people sitting around in queue ready for some action. I did this in WoW all the time and always got a few to come to my aid. I always did the same for others as well when on my main characters.

Try it out, couldn't hurt.

I don't remember exactly how it worked but I remember seeing a bunch of higher levels get turned into chickens in Warhammer online, if they ventured into lower level areas and attacked players. I thought that was a neat idea.

border

The PVP problem is solved by giving high-level players something to do. Right now there isn't enough.

OTOH, my PVP server in Warcraft hasn't felt like a PVP server in years. Players at the level cap just have so much other stuff to worry about that nobody is camping quest turn-ins or travel hubs.

Hawk269

Wow. We have similar rigs. I have 2x580 3g EVGA Classifieds, 2600k @4.5 and 8gb or ram. Like you in the imperial fleet is where i get the big chugs and at times it is not when there is alot of other players. For example, near the Galactic Trade area there was more players there than near the cantina and it did not chug, but near the cantina (center) is where I get massive chugs.

I also did some testing with both the .ini settings AA and the upcoming in-game AA (I joined the test server to check out the in-game AA). But I tried with no AA, .ini AA, and in-game AA and the chug still happened no matter what in the fleet and especially near the center.

On occasion, I will get some slugs here and there when taking taxi's or just random, but for the most part it is prett good at 60fps. Like I mentioned before though, prior to the 1.1 patch it DID NOT CHUG in the Fleet like it does now..so something changed.

Like the person I quoted, I can run every game made at max settings and at 60fps with some of the highest AA settings at the same 1080p with no issues. This game however I do get the chugs especially around the fleet. What is strange is no matter the AA setting it has pretty much no impact, so not sure why they had it disabled all this time.

The game is not optomized very well and I know that Nvidia has not provided a good driver for this game as of yet, so I am sure things will get better on both the driver level and the game level as BioWare conitnues to work on it.

With all that said, still not having the hi-res textures not being there is sad. So is the fact that there is no in-game terrain draw distance, especially for foilage. If one thing bugs me is walking around these enviroments and watching grass and shrubs etc. grow right in front of you. Give me a setting that if I have the rig I can can max settings out.

Hawk269

Shit. Just ran into a nasty bug with AA. My green sabers are invisible. :(

ATI or Nvidia GPU? I know using the .ini setting causes some issues with ATI cards. I have been using .ini 8xAA with my Nvidia's since early start and not had any graphic issues due to it.

There is 0 point in rolling Republic on a PvP server with the kinds of faction imbalances you have here unless you're a masochist. In general world PvP is a joke and that's the whole point of PvP servers.

As it is I've heard multiple stories of Imperials sufficiently desperate for Repubs to flip Ilum that they'll pay for someone's alt to come do it for a half hour.

UltraMav

You know it's funny. The past few days me and the other members of my small guild have been debating whether or not to start a big recruitment drive or fold and be absorbed into a large guild so that we can do more than just warzone/flashpoint together whenever we happen to catch each other on. Tonight I started up another alt... And I just might keep doing this instead and forget about all that endgame shit. Guess I'm not really much of an MMOer.

Realyn

Sorry bro, you rolled PvP.

You go far enough back in this thread you'll find plenty of people trying to warn others that this kind of garbage is standard on PvP servers.

When you roll on a PvP server, that doesn't typically mean that you'll end up facing off against the opposite faction in massive fun filled PvP battles. What it typically means is that there will be days where you cannot get shit done because you're getting camped and griefed.

Many people that roll on PvP servers are probably good people who like to have that feeling of danger and want to square off in open world fights against others. However, there are also many scum bag wastes of fucking oxygen who think their only purpose in life is to make everyone else's gaming experience as fucking miserable as possible.

Today it's the quest givers, tomorrow it'll be the taxi drivers. Hope you bought Speeder Piloting III.

While I agree with you with on the most part, it is fun to say "deal with it" if you play Imperial.
It´s really great when your server pop is 1:3-4 and all you see on Tatooine, Nar Shaddaa and so on are enemys killing you while you are in fight, chasing you and god knows what.

edit: I tried to find some 1on1 fights while I finished my class quest on Tatooine. So I found some guy 1 level beneath me. I let him reg, /bow and attack. After I won I sat down in case he wanted a rematch > he asked for help and some guys came and killed me.

I´m quitting on the 20th or whenever my subscription ends. It's not only the other side - most Rep's are morons as well. All they can write is "xDDDD" "huehehehh ^^^^^^" or, the worst for me, "gg". I had maybe 3 or 4 good groups where you actually talked to each other and chatted about each persons flashpoint answer. DAoC and early WoW feeling simply not coming back for me ... sadly.

Did hardcore raiders kill your family or something? What an awful post.

You are having nostalgia glasses. Early MMOs had a great sense of community because: a. MMOs were new, we didn't have YT, and other websites like Wowwiki.com and Torhead.com; b. Internet was new as well, not many people had access to it (we are talking early 2000s).

Are there more mature people now, than they were in 2001? Sure. However, there are many more morons as well. That's how everything works, majority of CoD players are racist kids, however not everyone.

You post says skill=maturity=culture, which nowadays MMOs lack. That is simply not true. Skill in playing a game has nothing to do with your culture towards others, good behavior is something your mommy teaches you when you don't know what a damn computer is.

Reported someone on Ilum yesterday, he's been camping a crystal spawn point for the last 3 days I have attempted to get something from the point, im sure he will still be there when I go tonight...

I upset a repub player on Ilum as well, he was trying to destroy a turret and I was walking past so I started healing it, im so mean :)

Tworak

There is 0 point in rolling Republic on a PvP server with the kinds of faction imbalances you have here unless you're a masochist. In general world PvP is a joke and that's the whole point of PvP servers.

As it is I've heard multiple stories of Imperials sufficiently desperate for Repubs to flip Ilum that they'll pay for someone's alt to come do it for a half hour.
yeah, as a level 50 sage I've rerolled sorc. we had 16 vs 86 in ilum the other night.

fun fun fun ufn fun fun fun fun fn nf ufn nfnu nuf fuun ufnn ufn ufn fun fun fufnu fnunun

Realyn

yeah, as a level 50 sage I've rerolled sorc. we had 16 vs 86 in ilum the other night.

fun fun fun ufn fun fun fun fun fn nf ufn nfnu nuf fuun ufnn ufn ufn fun fun fufnu fnunun

Dont know if serious or troll. In case you really pulled off some wtj action: WELL DONE!

Quick question:

My roommate and I are looking to get into this in the upcoming weeks. Is it possible to run flashpoints (which I assume are dungeon equivalents) with two people if we each have a companion? We both have MMO experience so we get it if we cant it will just be nice if we dont have to look for a group all the time to do stuff.

Realyn

No not really. Even in the 3th or 4th Flashpoint you allready have to dodge small aoe´s, kite or simply run around. Companions wont do that. They simple stand in the 8934823894 dmg aoe and die.

Ken

Colicoid Waaaaarrrr Gaaaaaaaaames

487b2053.jpg

Alex

No not really. Even in the 3th or 4th Flashpoint you allready have to dodge small aoe´s, kite or simply run around. Companions wont do that. They simple stand in the 8934823894 dmg aoe and die.

Have done the first five in a duo without too much issue. It takes more planning and CC and delegation so it may not work for all class combos though (Assassin and Operative, here).

Honestly, the companions will often do a better job than the people you recruit (thanks, modern WoW), especially the tank ones, they make wonderful decoys and still do respectable damage and a little micro solves most of their issues.

It's fun since the game thus far allows you to use your entire tool box to scrape by like that in certain situations, that's what I want to see more of in this specific style of MMO since that is something that can be really fun with the type of gameplay. I like the dungeon design in general a lot thus far here.

It'll probably evaporate later on, I'm sure, but it's been fun. Just goes to show that scaling should be more present in these games. If I want to do content with two people and have it be absurdly hard, I should be able to do that!

On another note: I'm getting really annoyed with the zone instancing. Was out leveling earlier, our instance of the planet, the first instance mind you, had 14 people in it, the second had 78. Fucking annoying to have to stop and check and swap... I understand, possibly, if it was some 200 person swamped area but come on. It's silly as is.

Top Bottom