• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
This is kind of a stupid question but, is there an option for chat bubbles? I dunno why but I need my chat bubbles!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Didn't play yesterday, and am not going to play today.

I *might* get on tomorrow night; but for now, it's still debatable. I really LOVE the game when it's hitting all the right spots. But I'm getting more and more frustrated by the small things, some repetitive quests, and the massive difficulty spikes (at least for me). So, I played some MW3 yesterday, and got some chores done today. Gonna go out with some friends this evening for dinner/movie, and tomorrow I'm gonna just enjoy some freedom.

Nothing against the game at all; like I said, I really, really like it. And it absolutely sucks knowing that people here, some of my friends, and a lot of others have already dinged 50 or are super close. I'm only a measly 36. I have A LOT to go. It's discouraging; but I'm trying to tell myself "what's the rush?" and to just enjoy the title at my own pace.

sangreal

The people who do that in WoW, what have they been doing the last 7 years? Do they just run the same raids over and over every night? The same handful of PvP arenas? What keeps those people subscribing?

I can't speak for modern wow (haven't played since wotlk), but in WoW vanilla there was actually a lot of stuff to do besides Raid. Crafting was more interactive than SWTOR, so you had that but you also had attunement quests, some class quests, super rare items/recipes to farm. You could grind rep too, although it didn't become useful until later. The endgame gear progression was also much more drawn out, aided by the random loot process. It could take ages just to complete your blue set.

I can't speak for modern wow (haven't played since wotlk), but in WoW vanilla there was actually a lot of stuff to do besides Raid. Crafting was more interactive than SWTOR, so you had that but you also had attunement quests, some class quests, super rare items/recipes to farm. You could grind rep too, although it didn't become useful until later. The endgame gear progression was also much more drawn out, aided by the random loot process. It could take ages just to complete your blue set.

The people had a lot to do with my enjoyment of it. I had a blast with my Vanilla and BC guilds and I'm still friends with quite a few of them.

I wanted to strangle most of the folks in the guild I was in briefly at the beginning of Cata.

sangreal

This is kind of a stupid question but, is there an option for chat bubbles? I dunno why but I need my chat bubbles!

Nope

The people had a lot to do with my.enjoyment of it. I had a blast with my Vanilla and BC guilds and I'm still friends with quite a few of them.

I wanted to strangle most of the folks in the guild I was in briefly at the beginning of Catalog.

That was definitely the main driver, yes.

Lrn2reed

Neo Member
One thing I would love to see them add is the ability for me to roll with more than one companion at a time. Have they ever hinted they may open that up in the future?

An even better idea i wish they'd implement is for players to roll with an alt, especially since the game seems to want you to roll them with the legacy system.

Yea, that would be pretty cool.

This thread is pretty huge so i thought i would just ask the question. Is there a way, for when i go to a mod vendor, to easily compare all the mods i have equipped, witht the ones for sale?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
SWG had the best community I've ever seen in a MMO.

+1

Having 1 character per server helped a lot though. In modern MMOs people have so many alts you can't keep track of a who is who, even in your own guild. Although the Legacy system is actually a cool way around that since all your characters share a last name.

Azzurri

+1

Having 1 character per server helped a lot though. In modern MMOs people have so many alts you can't keep track of a who is who, even in your own guild. Although the Legacy system is actually a cool way around that since all your characters share a last name.

I had three accounts.

Finally a dev is giving some feedback on the Warrior/JK class that so many are complaining about, they have some ideas they posted on the forum:

"Here are some of the things we're planning to roll out in the short term specifically regarding Sith Warriors and Jedi Knights :

* Mobility/Anti Kiting (PvP) – We agree with the sentiment voiced by the community that some Guardians and Juggernauts have to work harder than other classes to stay within effective combat range, putting them at a disadvantage. We intend to address this in an upcoming patch where, as a first step, Force Push will clear the cooldown of Force Leap, granting for more reliable in combat pursuit capabilities to the Advanced Class. Further changes will be made if necessary.

* DPS spec survivability (PvP and PvE) – The DPS specs on Guardian and Juggernaut are performing to our expectations when it comes to the ability to create damage, especially of the burst variety. However their survivability is lagging behind our expectations, especially in the later game, and we are going to start addressing that particular issue in an upcoming patch."

Whole post at : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1435443#edit1435443

Choc

Banned
about fucking time they acknowledge DPS is broke non the Knight

might go back to mine if they fix it properly

"Force Push will clear the cooldown of Force Leap, granting for more reliable in combat pursuit capabilities to the Advanced Class. Further changes will be made if necessary."

thats actually a VERY good move and makes the Knight a lot more lethal. If you can follow up a push straight away with a leap, thats epic

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
It would be nice for Operatives to get some kind of mobility. Anything really.

Still waiting for evidence of a 50 Operative taking on 2-3 50s solo like that one person claimed.

The really shitty part ill be 50 once the brackets hit so i wont really notice a difference except everyone will be able to own me until i get fully geared out.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
thats actually a VERY good move and makes the Knight a lot more lethal. If you can follow up a push straight away with a leap, thats epic

It will make me use force push alot more, as of now I only use it when leap is off its cooldown.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah... I was bored XD

lolkay.jpg

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
If you're going to subscribe FOREVER how does it make a difference? Genuinely curious now. SWG is directly from the same kind of mold as UO (And had the same lead designer!). UO was a fantastic game.

Why do you have this problem of having to label everything?

SWG = UO
TOR = WoW

They ALL have things that are similar and things that are different. Nothing is created in a vacuum. WoW wasn't unique either, give it up.

vitaminwateryum said:
It's a shame we're probably never going to get a game that's remotely as user dependent as SWG ever again. Give me a pre-CU SWG set in a medieval setting and I'd be subscribed forever.

Google ArcheAge. I'm keeping my eye on that one. It's a Korean MMO but the lead designer was a big fan of UO and wanted to create something in that vein.

Azzurri

It's a shame we're probably never going to get a game that's remotely as user dependent as SWG ever again. Give me a pre-CU SWG set in a medieval setting and I'd be subscribed forever.

The only MMO I can think of coming out soon that isn't a theme park MMO is "The Secret World" which looks fantastic, and from what I've read it is, but will see come April.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
If you're going to subscribe FOREVER how does it make a difference? Genuinely curious now. SWG is directly from the same kind of mold as UO (And had the same lead designer!). UO was a fantastic game.

The same reason I dont play SWG Emu or UO over modern MMO's. The controls from SWG and UO are just way too dated for me. I suppose I should have made note of it in my first post, but that's probably the one thing that would need to change from SWG. The responsiveness of the control scheme when compared to games like TOR or WoW feels way too outdated. I recently installed SWG Emu back when Galaxies went down to see if the nostalgia held up. Man oh man, I really don't remember the controls being that bad. It felt like going back to Lineage 2 or something.

The only MMO I can think of coming out soon that isn't a theme park MMO is "The Secret World" which looks fantastic, and from what I've read it is, but will see come April.

I haven't kept up too much with this after they released that CG trailer a while ago, but reading that there are no levels and that it's all skill based instantly make me super interested.

EGG

Neo Member

Still waiting for evidence of a 50 Operative taking on 2-3 50s solo like that one person claimed.

The really shitty part ill be 50 once the brackets hit so i wont really notice a difference except everyone will be able to own me until i get fully geared out.

Operatives?

Please, try being a sniper.

As the "person who claimed.." allow me to respond:

A. It's not like i can reproduce the situation I described whenever the hell I please. Nor did I guarantee I win in that situation(I got smoked yesterday by a trooper and a sage friend for example). I said I've won in that situation numerous times, and I have.

B. You vehemently disagreeing and refusing to believe me doesn't mean I now have to go prove myself to you. I told you my side, you chose to believe otherwise, oh well. I do a few games a day, mainly to get my 3 wins and then I'm off doing other things. I've yet to queue for a warzone thinking "I've just got to prove to Wendi our class doesn't suck!" I'm fairly sure whatever your retort is to this post will fail to make me want to either.

Fact of the matter is we(operatives) are not as bad off as you make us sound, hell theres quite a few good ones on my server alone that I see when doing my daily warzones. We have a ton of utility in the form of stuns, and arguably some of the highest burst out of stealth right now. Use some of that and see where you land instead of going into a fight already feeling like you've lost.

I'd give up on the idea of us receiving buffs, because clearly I'm not alone in thinking we don't really need them.

Operatives?

Please, try being a sniper.

Seriously, poor class gets gobbled up in warzones from my experiences.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
we dont even have high res textures yet.....

so no...

Also no, but they say they are working on it.

So the texture's we are playing with are medium res then? Forgive my ignorance I just purchased the game.

And any official word on it from the devs?

Also, I get a weird issue during dialogue outdoors where trees and foliage flash black rapidly.

Running an AMD 69502GB. Any fix?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Can't beat a quest that takes about four minutes to run back to, can't revive on my body. My god, the balance in this game is just so bad. Now I just kind of want my free month to run out.

rockx4

So the texture's we are playing with are medium res then? Forgive my ignorance I just purchased the game.

And any official word on it from the devs?

Also, I get a weird issue during dialogue outdoors where trees and foliage flash black rapidly.

Running an AMD 69502GB. Any fix?

I have the same issues with trees, I read you can fix them by turning off shadows... lol. But I'm not going to do that. As for textures, there's a loooong thread on the SWToR forums, expecting a reply from them tomorrow. And it's not looking good.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=151787

BigTnaples

Thanks, so are these low res textures affecting everyone with the game? Or just the "PTR". I am unfamiliar with this terminology.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Can't beat a quest that takes about four minutes to run back to, can't revive on my body. My god, the balance in this game is just so bad. Now I just kind of want my free month to run out.
You do know you can just stop playing, right? You are not obligated to play for the 30 days and will not be subject to fees for failure to log in.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You do know you can just stop playing, right? You are not obligated to play for the 30 days and will not be subject to fees for failure to log in.
I paid for this. I'm trying to play with other people and enjoy it and take advantage of the time I've already paid for.

BigTnaples

PTR is the Public Test Realm
this is happening for everyone i believe

Ah thanks.

I am actually pretty impressed with how clean the game looks. Looks great on max, especially the faces.

Waterfalls look pretty laughable, and some of the environmental textures could definitely use a boost.

Here is to hoping for some High or Ultra Textures.

Don't have a good feeling on what they'll be saying. Sounds like we're going to get a "no high res textures and this is why" post as opposed to what I was hoping would be "Hey we're going to give them to you soon guys!" :lol

As I said before, I doubt its a bug really as there never has been in game high res textures. I don't think it was ever intended and there must be some kind of technical limitation in the engine that is stopping them from simply allowing them in game. Unlike other posts where they simply say they are aware or are working on it, it sounds like hes going to give reasons why there is no in game high textures.

Top Bottom