• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

The hidden +10 to all stats datacron challange was unbelivably fun, though sometimes frustrating with a few glitches.

Highly recommend everyone get 4 people together and try it. Like playing Tomb Raider or Prince of Persia in a MMO.

Want to hear something stupid? I just tried to change my password via the website to a 20-digit password with mixed upper case, lower case letters and numbers. It accepted my password and said it changed it. Now it won't let me log in with the exact same password I just changed it to. I suspect that there is a password length limit that they a) don't tell you about, and b) check sometimes (like when you log in) but not other times (like when you set your password).

Fucking stupid, now I'm sitting here waiting for a goddamn password reset email that they supposedly fired off 15 minutes ago and I still haven't gotten yet.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The hidden +10 to all stats datacron challange was unbelivably fun, though sometimes frustrating with a few glitches.

Highly recommend everyone get 4 people together and try it. Like playing Tomb Raider or Prince of Persia in a MMO.

What planet is it on?

Jira

That's because Vanguard had a ton of really cool stuff an some really amazing potential. The game world is still pretty damn impressive. If it wasn't a technical mess at release, I think it could have turned into something amazing.

I was in the Vanguard beta for over a year and played about 3 months after launch. Bugs aside the game was about as old school as you could get. Doing real dungeon crawls and finding out secrets/server firsts on the server was seriously amazing stuff. There was this dungeon in a zone called Pantheon of the Ancients (level 30 something?) and there was this large quest chain in the zone. You go through the very long chain and it has you find out this secret password from these mobs near this huge entryway. Well it turns out when this certain mob was killed it spoke something and that was actually the password you had to type in the chat in order for the entryway to open.

So you open the door and inside was 4 more enemies next to pillars. You cleared those out and then you had to find a hidden switch inside this room. Once you hit the switch the ground opened up to reveal a ramp going down into the dungeon proper. My group and I were the first on the server to step foot into this massive place and I can't begin to tell you what that feels like. We were on the bleeding edge of content and it felt amazing knowing very few people had seen what we'd seen.

That dungeon was massive too, never did finish it. But you know that's how that game was, it was extremely group oriented and a social experience. You did get large quest chains done and dungeon crawls done, but hell it was as close to EQ as we'll ever see again and I do miss it. At one point I was the richest cleric in the world, had the highest damage done as a cleric in the world, and got a world first on the two humped camel mount...the PMs I got were insane. My group called me the Battlecleric because I'd tank and heal myself and it worked quite well. I loved that you could literally get lost in their dungeons and cities, absolutely MASSIVE crawls. I could go on and on but I really did love that game, bugs aside it still holds a place in my MMO heart that very few MMOs have a spot for.

Patryn

Second half of the Legacy system? There was a first half?

All I see is a last name for my character and a bar that I fill up that does nothing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Bah, you're right.

Being an old SWG player I had hope there would be some kind of focus on getting the factions to battle each other, but what SWTOR does have feels slapped together to appease those who enjoy less-meaningful PVP.

I'm not even coming across Rep players while questing. Are there questing areas for both factions that overlap each other?

I wasn't expecting a SWG-esque game or experience coming in, but I was expecting there to be some small focus on getting the factions to battle on a small scale. I'm disappointed to see more focus on inter-faction PVP (a la hutt-ball WZs).

Maybe my kind are in the minority now :p

EDIT: Let me clarify, I do come across Rep players while I'm questing, but those Rep players are level 50 gank squads, not some random encounter with the opposite faction. Though even the gank squad encounters are rare it seems (too close to release I'd presume).
I've run into plenty of similarly leveled opposing faction players so far, at least from Tatooine on. I also noticed the overlap in questing areas starts to increase more and more as you advance planets as well. Nar Shaddaa is the only planet I didn't run into Republic players and Taris doesn't count since there's no world PvP encounters there, but I've run into several players on Tatooine, Alderaan, Quesh, Hoth, and now Belsavis.

Ultimately though, it comes down to server and faction population.

frequency

Want to hear something stupid? I just tried to change my password via the website to a 20-digit password with mixed upper case, lower case letters and numbers. It accepted my password and said it changed it. Now it won't let me log in with the exact same password I just changed it to. I suspect that there is a password length limit that they a) don't tell you about, and b) check sometimes (like when you log in) but not other times (like when you set your password).

Fucking stupid, now I'm sitting here waiting for a goddamn password reset email that they supposedly fired off 15 minutes ago and I still haven't gotten yet.

I had the same issue. It's dumb. I could still log into the site fine, but not the game through the launcher. I think the password restraints in the launcher and on the site are just different.

I was in the Vanguard beta for over a year and played about 3 months after launch. Bugs aside the game was about as old school as you could get. Doing real dungeon crawls and finding out secrets/server firsts on the server was seriously amazing stuff. There was this dungeon in a zone called Pantheon of the Ancients (level 30 something?) and there was this large quest chain in the zone. You go through the very long chain and it has you find out this secret password from these mobs near this huge entryway. Well it turns out when this certain mob was killed it spoke something and that was actually the password you had to type in the chat in order for the entryway to open.

So you open the door and inside was 4 more enemies next to pillars. You cleared those out and then you had to find a hidden switch inside this room. Once you hit the switch the ground opened up to reveal a ramp going down into the dungeon proper. My group and I were the first on the server to step foot into this massive place and I can't begin to tell you what that feels like. We were on the bleeding edge of content and it felt amazing knowing very few people had seen what we'd seen.

That dungeon was massive too, never did finish it. But you know that's how that game was, it was extremely group oriented and a social experience. You did get large quest chains done and dungeon crawls done, but hell it was as close to EQ as we'll ever see again and I do miss it. At one point I was the richest cleric in the world, had the highest damage done as a cleric in the world, and got a world first on the two humped camel mount...the PMs I got were insane. My group called me the Battlecleric because I'd tank and heal myself and it worked quite well. I loved that you could literally get lost in their dungeons and cities, absolutely MASSIVE crawls. I could go on and on but I really did love that game, bugs aside it still holds a place in my MMO heart that very few MMOs have a spot for.

That dungeon sounds amazing. I'm sorry I missed out but my computer couldn't handle Vanguard at the time and all the bad impressions and stuff meant I wasn't going to buy a new one for it.

I had the same issue. It's dumb. I could still log into the site fine, but not the game through the launcher. I think the password restraints in the launcher and on the site are just different.

I actually couldn't even log in through the site OR the game. Well, I submitted a bug report, here's to hoping they fix it.

On a different topic, what's the best place for scavenging Aluminum?

Wallach

They do, by the way. The password limit is 16 chars, so if you lop the last 4 chars off whatever your password was, it should take.

They do, by the way. The password limit is 16 chars, so if you lop the last 4 chars off whatever your password was, it should take.
I had this happened as well, went to the Origin site (Origin and SWTOR accounts are the same) and changed my pw there and it told me about the 16 character limit.

frequency

Weird. I use KeePass to generate long random passwords. My password was something like 60 characters and I logged in fine on the site. It just broke in the launcher.

This was like 2 weeks ago though.

Realyn

Getting OT here, but I had the problem with my german mail provider. Might be a bit extrem, but I changed it into something between 40-50 chars. Ofc it did not work, I had to call them and so on ...
They tell you again and again that you should choose a secure password and the limit is 16 letters? Oh right, buy our 83480 $ secure token please.

On a different topic, what's the best place for scavenging Aluminum?
Honestly? The GTN. Do 3 warzones, earn 5k credits and buy something from it.

They need to speed up that balloon on Tatooine for those two datacrons. That thing was painful. Not to mention, the first time I tried it, it it despawned five minutes away from the destination. The expletives out of my mouth would make a sailor blush.

It was the first time I tried /say in front of some Republic chaps and it felt weird conversing with the opposite faction. Worked out though, they actually helped to do a knock back that allowed me to get the power datacron on the ledge after failing the jumping puzzle from the top. I ended up getting slaughtered for going PvP but at least they waited till I was done.

Getting OT here, but I had the problem with my german mail provider. Might be a bit extrem, but I changed it into something between 40-50 chars. Ofc it did not work, I had to call them and so on ...
They tell you again and again that you should choose a secure password and the limit is 16 letters? Oh right, buy our 83480 $ secure token please.

"Please use a strong password. Sorry, only letters and numbers are allowed."

I mean goddamnit, if I want to use a password like B”†l6HzA¹Öñ±èÊß%Þ3ÔR»ñ¯ÔoÁîê then why the fuck do they care? This is really like a pet peeve of mine, it makes me irrationally angry because i know how password security works. All they do is feed this shit into an algorithm that doesn't care what the hell those characters are, and convert it into a number. The above password becomes

305a9fdc7539590396fbb6a3b58cf37a849a688e463bc6f127db9f6478522bc8

then they just store that shit in the database and forget about it. The whole "can't use special symbols" thing is honestly the most infuriating thing I can think of.

Prodigal

Banned
Do legacy names span across servers? I've seen different answers regarding this and I'd like to know before choosing to roll on a different server for the opposite faction.

Heh, I seriously hope you're not implying the rage/focus resource mechanic actually originated in WoW. Building resources instead of starting off with a pool (like mana) is not a concept Wow invented.

He literally asked for another class with the same role/type (warrior) with the rage/focus mechanic. There were many warrior type classes with resource build up mechanics before the Wow warrior.
No, that's not what I said. Yanger has it right. I said the whole package, including the resource mechanic.

frequency

Do legacy names span across servers? I've seen different answers regarding this and I'd like to know before choosing to roll on a different server for the opposite faction.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't go across servers.

But if you want to make sure, just roll a temporary character and target yourself to see if the legacy name is there. That's like 2 minutes.

Legacy is just for the single server your on. Want a different Legacy for your character you have to roll it on a different server.

CAW

Had that happen to me too last night. Nearly -600 affection loss from one side quest.

What?
I would be frantically mashing the ESC button if that happened to me.

Who/Where/How did this happen?
I lost the points with Vector, during an Alderaan side quest. My operative wears 'the Destructive' title so you can imagine he's pretty dark. haha

Tacitus_

What?
I would be frantically mashing the ESC button if that happened to me.

Who/Where/How did this happen?

I did esc out of it, but I think I'll still choose it tomorrow! My lover is an ex-jedi who wanted to preach jedi teachings to my followers. Fuck that! I'm a goddamn Dark Lord of the Sith, a Darth! So I said to her, "I'd rather not have you polluting my legacy with jedi teachings"
She took it rather well (other than the hilarious affection drop) compared to when I turned down her offer for marriage.

Jrmint

Oh wow, -436 affection for a single choice :lol
I honestly have a hard time understanding the purpose of affection with a companion.

I have about 1500 affection with Corso, and yet he takes just as long to sell my shit and go out on crew missions.

Could someone enlighten me when the benefits start to kick in?

I honestly have a hard time understanding the purpose of affection with a companion.

I have about 1500 affection with Corso, and yet he takes just as long to sell my shit and go out on crew missions.

I'm pretty sure he takes less time, you just don't notice it. The time displayed on the mission window won't change. But send him out on the mission and then look on your crew thingy in the bottom left corner for how much time is remaining, and it will show less than the time stated by the crew mission window.

It's possible affection does other things as well, but this one is a definite.

so it's been a good while now. Which advance classes do you feel are the most 'badass'? In terms of skills, looks, class story, etc.

I'm just not feeling it on Guardian. I do hope story picks up (just finished up tatoonie) and the skill trees are freaking weird.

Grav shot spamming commandos are pretty badass though o_O.

I could be wrong, but aside from companion quests/romance I think it's supposed to buff whatever skill bonus that companion has. Couldn't tell you the levels needed to get the buffs though.

TheYanger

Anyone else crashing a lot today since the patch? I'm getting a TAD pissed, I've crashed out of a 3:0 100 point left Civil War match, and a 'they didn't get to plant anything in the first round' Void Star, and am left with a bitter taste and 0/3 of my warzone wins. Not sure I want to even bother to queue anymore (Also wish you'd get rewards for medals immediately, so that crashing/dcing didn't leave you just holding a big bag of nothing for your trouble).

oktarb

It also opens up quest storyline missions thingies. I got pretty high affection with Khem (not hard to do, we're both bastards) and he requested to speak with me (can only happen in a ship or cantina). He tells his tale and I get a quest to go on, rewards ect.

hamchan

At first I used to press ESC during convos where I get -1 for my companion. Now I don't even care enough to do that. Affection is so easy to raise using gifts.

MoPpR.jpg

notworksafe

Why? I guess just to see what happens. I never use him for anything other than Slicing missions anyway.

Plus he's lame. Should have been able to kill him instead of making him a companion.

Really, I dislike all of the companions I have so far. I just stick with Mako because she's a decent healer.

Why? I guess just to see what happens. I never use him for anything other than Slicing missions anyway.

Plus he's lame. Should have been able to kill him instead of making him a companion.

Really, I dislike all of the companions I have so far. I just stick with Mako because she's a decent healer.

Nothing will happen, they won't leave you.

Also lowering your affection with your companion increases the time it takes for them to craft.

notworksafe

Nothing will happen, they won't leave you.

Also lowering your affection with your companion increases the time it takes for them to craft.

Bummer. What's the point of having negative affection in the first place if it essentially does nothing?

I haven't noticed any increase in time taken on slicing missions yet. I'll keep an eye on that however.

Allard

Bummer. What's the point of having negative affection in the first place if it essentially does nothing?

I haven't noticed any increase in time taken on slicing missions yet. I'll keep an eye on that however.

I've noticed a pretty big difference between the time it takes one of my high affection crew members to finish a crafted item compared to one with no affection. On some green crafted items at a high rank it might take my high affection crew member 5 minutes where it will take 6 minutes and 30 seconds on my ship droid (This crew member doesn't have any stat bonus's for the craft either). Meanwhile its even more pronounced on Blues and Purples. 15 minutes instead of 18, 12:30 instead of 15 etc. And this crew member is still pretty low on the affection gauge too. Only like 2.4k Affection. Although I can't say for sure since I haven't explicitly timed how long it takes for a specific mission, I 'feel' like its taking less time on one character over another as I constantly have 3 members deployed and one crew member with high affection always seems to get them done just a bit faster, but that's anecdotal evidence since you can't actually have crew members out at the same time doing the same mission. At least not as far as I am aware of.

notworksafe

I meant I'm not seeing an increase over the time displayed on the mission.

Mako's affection is high enough (4k+) that I can see the decrease in time, but not noticing an increase for having negative affection.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

Mako's affection is high enough (4k+) that I can see the decrease in time, but not noticing an increase for having negative affection.
0 affection means the task will take as long as it says on the crafting screen. The higher the affection the lower the actual time.

Mairu

The time displayed in the crew missions interface is always the default time, you'll see the discounted time after you send your companion.

It's a very small amount of time. With 10k/10k it makes a 45 minute mission take like 39 minutes.

edit: oh, negative affection

there's probably no benefit/downside other than longer to get back up

Top Bottom