• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Did anyone else have problems with logging on? I cannot access my account because I answered incorrectly on the security question...I never even got the chance to see the question. I sent a support inquiry to Bioware. Kind of annoying, I have a little bit of time to kill and a few days before my account becomes inactive.

Jtrizzy

Just force AA for now, no sense in waiting. The OP says the ini edit doesn't work on ATI/AMD cards, but it didn't really seem to work for me on a gtx 580. I got some smoothing on my characters, but my environment had aliasing problems still. I had to use nvidiainspector, and it worked perfect.

Is there a good place to go to see if the aliasing code worked? I put it in and it does look a little smoother. The steps of the Jedi Council are pretty horrible, that might be a good reference point.

What all do I need to change in Inspector if you don't mind?

FLEABttn

Banned
I'm sure others have different opnions of course.

Of course.

Join a group, teleport in, tank/healer says something retarded like "TOO MANY DKS!" quits, and gets an instant qeue for another group while the rest of us are stuck waiting 30-40 minutes just to get another asshat that does the same thing.

Quitter debuff. WoW has this. Problem solved.

Best solution would be something like the group finder in DDO, where you can go to the LFG list and see what a group needs/wants to run and current party make-up before joining.

Haven't tried this, but it sounds like it doesn't guarantee actual grouping, nor in a timely manner. A group of three DPS will eventually get a tank and healer in at worst 20 minutes with the WoW LFG. What guarantees a group in this system?

I also don't like instant porting to instances, the travel time is a good opportunity for PUGs to chat about strategy, skill, etc. etc. instead of just charging into a pack of mobs and THEN discovering you should have waited for someone to CC a certain mob.

All flashpoints in TOR are ported to. So, this isn't a problem. Travel time in WoW was insignificant in TBC and WotLK so PuG's weren't communicating to begin with, nevermind that when travel times were long in vanilla, strategies weren't discussed in travel. Maybe that one time, but not even a minority of the time.

frequency

So after another session of SWTOR tonight, my PC crashed again. This time I got a blue screen that said PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Usually the computer just freezes and I have to press the button.

This only started happening like 2 days ago. And only happens a couple minutes after I exit SWTOR.

Any ideas?

So after another session of SWTOR tonight, my PC crashed again. This time I got a blue screen that said PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

This only started happening like 2 days ago. And only happens a couple minutes after I exit SWTOR.

Any ideas?

A game cannot cause a blue screen due to the fault of the game, since only a driver can generate a blue screen. What driver was listed? Its almost certainly a problem with your video driver, or maybe you recently installed some new software that conflicts with your video driver.

frequency

A game cannot cause a blue screen due to the fault of the game, since only a driver can generate a blue screen. What driver was listed? Its almost certainly a problem with your video driver, or maybe you recently installed some new software that conflicts with your video driver.

It says ntoskrnl.exe
The last 2 nights, it didn't actually blue screen. It just froze the entire system.
Tonight, right after exiting, I turned on a Giant Bomb quick look as I was getting changed. It crashed at the expected time, but blue screened instead of freezing this time. The last couple times I just left my PC and went downstairs. It was frozen when I came back up.

rockx4

Is there a good place to go to see if the aliasing code worked? I put it in and it does look a little smoother. The steps of the Jedi Council are pretty horrible, that might be a good reference point.

What all do I need to change in Inspector if you don't mind?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=119413

It'll be very noticeable that it's working :p

But like I said before, adding the AA line into the ini file does seem to sort of work, but it still has a lot of aliasing even at 8x. Forcing it through nvidiainspector seems to work a lot better.

It says ntoskrnl.exe
The last 2 nights, it didn't actually blue screen. It just froze the entire system.
Tonight, right after exiting, I turned on a Giant Bomb quick look as I was getting changed. It crashed at the expected time, but blue screened instead of freezing this time. The last couple times I just left my PC and went downstairs. It was frozen when I came back up.

Thats weird that it says ntoskrnl.exe. If you can generate a mini dump (do you know how to do this?) and upload it to mediafire, ill see if i can tell you the offending driver. If you don't know how, tell me what OS you're on.

frequency

Thats weird that it says ntoskrnl.exe. If you can generate a mini dump (do you know how to do this?) and upload it to mediafire, ill see if i can tell you the offending driver. If you don't know how, tell me what OS you're on.

I don't know much. I'm on Windows 7.

I googled minidump real quick and found the folder
C:\Windows\Minidump

There's a DMP file in there for today from about half an hour ago. Is that what I need?

EDIT: I just ran a bunch of other games to see if anything else causes this. Everything is fine for all my other games. SWTOR isn't exactly the most demanding of them so I don't know.

AA is supposed to come next patch, so I haven't bothered diddling around with Catalyst Control. I don't want any issues to crop up.

The lack of aliasing in the meantime though is really noticeable, so I'm hoping the patch hits the 17th like I thought I read somewhere.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5005bmldq7tb6o8

I'm not sure how useful that is. Thanks for trying to help though!

That was actually my first time using media fire. I'm surprised how easy it was. I literally just dragged it into my browser and it gave me a link.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Invalid system memory was referenced. This cannot be protected by try-except,
it must be protected by a Probe. Typically the address is just plain bad or it
is pointing at freed memory.
Arguments:
Arg1: fffff9400014b205, memory referenced.
Arg2: 0000000000000008, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation.
Arg3: fffff9400014b205, If non-zero, the instruction address which referenced the bad memory
address.
Arg4: 0000000000000005, (reserved)

Debugging Details:
------------------

Could not read faulting driver name

WRITE_ADDRESS: fffff9400014b205

FAULTING_IP:
+0
fffff940`0014b205 ?? ???

MM_INTERNAL_CODE: 5

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x50

PROCESS_NAME: VDeck.exe

CURRENT_IRQL: 0

The first bolded line means that most likely some memory got corrupted and it can't find the name of the driver causing the problem, but the second bolded line indicates that it may have to do with a process named VDeck.exe, which a quick google shows is related to your sound card. Try updating that driver perhaps? Or killing your sound control panel entirely.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I was telling some people in the guild about this, but hwere is the post and some snippets.

Shield rating, sheild absorbtion, and defense rating don't actually work in PVP.

I'll be quick and dirty here. Armor doesn't protect you from internal or elemental damage, shields and your defense rating only affect weapon damage for the most part. Most classes have a spec that involves using these two damage types. You can't dodge almost every single ability in pvp.

Now shields only activate on attacks that qualify. Shields inherently only activate a small percentage of the time and only mitigate a small percentage of the damage. It is possible, with relics and the right armor, to get your shields to 50/50. Which is a 50% chance to occur and they absorb 50% of the damage when they trigger. That's a 25% damage reduction. This is unfeasable but possible.

Now, since only weapon damage triggers shields (sniper attacks, unload, basic attacks) shields only be able to activate on roughly 10% of the incomming damage you'll be recieving in pvp. 25% damage reduction is respectable, 2.5% (25/10) is not. Now that 25% is the maximum possible if shields worked the way advertised and that is the stat cap for both those stats, at 50%. You can't even get those stats normally much less sustain them in combat. It requires using a relic. I'd also like to mention using a columi relic increase the operatives dps by 25%+ or any player using crits which fully negates the power of shields even at there best.

This all means that shield rating/absorbtion rating and defense rating are useless in pvp. It also means that accuracy is equally useless by relation. These stats are plastered all over pvp gear. This means I'm just as durable in dps gear for my Juggernaut (Vindicator class) as the tank gear (War Leader). I'd also like to mention that the set bonuses for those pieces favors the dps gear for pvp tanking as well.

Oddly, in pve these stats work differently. A lot of enemies do weapon damage if not most and you only see internal and elemental from bosses and special encounters. So the tanking gear works in pve. But on hm some of the bosses that do internal damage would just as easily kill you as a naked sorc.

His video.

This explains a lot if true and from what I've seen, I have a hard time thinking it isn't or at least partly true. =/

frequency

The first bolded line means that most likely some memory got corrupted and it can't find the name of the driver causing the problem, but the second bolded line indicates that it may have to do with a process named VDeck.exe, which a quick google shows is related to your sound card. Try updating that driver perhaps? Or killing your sound control panel entirely.

Hmm... I'm pretty sure I don't have a sound card.
I have a "VIA HD Audio Deck" program running though. I think that's been there forever.
The SWTOR sound did cut out once today. The music I was playing in the background didn't though. So maybe the last patch did something with the sound.

I'll look into what to do about this "VIA HD Audio Deck" thing. I've never used it.

Thanks again for the advice.
That bit about corrupted memory sounds really scary.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I have a "VIA HD Audio Deck" program running though. I think that's been there forever.
The SWTOR sound did cut out once today. The music I was playing in the background didn't though. So maybe the last patch did something with the sound.

I'll look into what to do about this "VIA HD Audio Deck" thing. I've never used it.

You don't have an actual sound "card" but you technically do have one, it's just built in to your motherboard.

CzarTim

Attention Gafers on Keller's Void:

Let's have a meet-up at the PVP area on Tatooine this Friday (the 13th) at 8PM EST.

That area is free-for-all, so it won't matter if more people show up from one side.

Here's where it is, for those who don't know:

Should be fun to hang out with everyone from both sides.

frequency

You don't have an actual sound "card" but you technically do have one, it's just built in to your motherboard.

That's confusing. This will be a test of my google skills I guess.

Over the last day I'm getting disconnected all the time with server error 9000. Any way to fix this?

I saw a thread on the SWTOR forums about it while looking up my problem.
They're working on a fix apparently and asking people for information.

EDIT: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=164536

Ken

Best way to speed up leveling from 47-50? Currently on Voss. Also, where do I pick up PvP daily? I picked it up once in the fleet but now it's not giving it to me.

So after another session of SWTOR tonight, my PC crashed again. This time I got a blue screen that said PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Usually the computer just freezes and I have to press the button.

Any ideas?

GPU heating up?

The game can't cause a hard crash... only your (video) drivers can.

Just to be clear, it doesn't mean SWTOR isn't causing it, it just means that even if they are causing it, it's still the driver's fault. An application is never a fault for a blue screen, only a driver. Even if the application does something wrong, a driver is NEVER supposed to cause a blue screen.

You should still report it to BioWare if it continues to happen, because companies have better odds of working with vendors to get patches out than people do.

The corrupted memory isn't as scary as it sounds. It doesn't mean your hardware is messed up, just that some driver wrote into a piece of memory it shouldn't have. Probably the #1 most common source of crash-related program bugs ever.

frequency

GPU heating up?

The game can't cause a hard crash... only your (video) drivers can.

Maybe. For the last 3 days, I turned the game on when I got home and left it on until I was ready for bed. I'd leave for dinner and breaks and stuff but I never turned it off.

Although I think I had the game on all day when I was on Christmas vacation for 2 weeks. I left it on even when I went out...

Just to be clear, it doesn't mean SWTOR isn't causing it, it just means that even if they are causing it, it's still the driver's fault. An application is never a fault for a blue screen, only a driver. Even if the application does something wrong, a driver is NEVER supposed to cause a blue screen.

You should still report it to BioWare if it continues to happen, because companies have better odds of working with vendors to get patches out than people do.

The corrupted memory isn't as scary as it sounds. It doesn't mean your hardware is messed up, just that some driver wrote into a piece of memory it shouldn't have. Probably the #1 most common source of crash-related program bugs ever.

Interesting. So I guess I shouldn't blame programs if my PC explodes. I should read up on drivers and stuff. It would be nice to learn and not be so clueless when stuff goes wrong.

I tried right clicking and exiting the VIA HD Audio Deck thing. I have the game running now. I am way past bed time but I'll leave it for a bit and Quit out of the game to see if my computer crashes again.

It is good to know corrupted memory doesn't mean I have to buy new hardware.

Thank you again for the help.

Zzoram

7. How the morality system is completely and utterly fucked.
It takes a special kind of failure to take something that is already broken (the two point morality scale) and break it even more. Not just to the point of being broken, but to the point of being irreparably damaged beyond any hope for salvage or repair. This is especially jarring considering that Bioware’s last morality system (paragon and renegade in Mass Effect) was actually one of the best two point morality systems around. It was still victim to many of the pratfalls associated with two-sided morality but it also was far less restrictive than a simple light side/dark side linear scale.

Compounding on the already monumental and cataclysmic failure of resorting to the piss-poor lineal morality, Bioware also managed to make morality in The Old Republic as completely fucked as possible. And it lets you know just how fucked it is fairly early on. How early? Well I was about an hour (a little bit less probably) into the game when I realized that morality was totally and irreversibly broken. I was playing my Chiss Agent (because blue girls are the best girls – seriously, the fact that every class can’t be Chiss is a travesty) when I was presented with an encounter where a man was threatening to blow my cover. Following the wonderfully restrictive dialogue wheel I was given three choices on how to deal with the situation. Bribe him. Kill him. Fuck him. Now let me get this out-of-the-way right now: to praise Bioware; I applaud the ability to whore your way out of a situation. When playing a spy class, I expect some zesty romantic escapades. The issue however comes from the option to fuck him or bribe him being considered light side choices and the option to kill him being considered a dark side choice. We’re not talking about Joe from accounting that just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. This is a criminal attempting to blackmail and intimidate you. I’m not trying to say, in a real life situation, that would justify murder, but what I am saying is that bribing him or emotionally manipulating him shouldn’t be considered the moral high ground and killing him shouldn’t be worth as many dark side points as shooting a child’s father in cold blood while said child watches.

See the biggest and most glaring flaw with morality in The Old Republic is not that it’s blatantly black and white; it’s that it’s fucking retarded. Often times there will be light side choices that are only light side by simple merit of not being the dark side choice, or the other way around. And if that wasn’t enough there is absolutely no fucking consistency in what is and is not a dark side or light side choice. For example: there is a mid-level Imperial instance where you are given control of a missile battery and the evil choice is the unthinkable act of targeting the Republic fleet with the missiles. These aren’t some missiles carrying some inhumane toxic weapon that violates all standards of decent warfare; you’re not shooting civilian or non-combatant targets. It’s an enemy fleet of warships. That’s the evil choice. Okay, I’ll accept it on the grounds that you’re directly causing a massive loss of life. That would be fine if immediately after the instance I couldn’t go hop in my ship, find the nearest space battle, blow away 100+ Republic pilots, cripple a ton of Republic cruisers and capital class ships (presumably killing hundreds if not thousands of crew members), nearly destroy a Republic space station (also presumably killing thousands of people), and suffer absolutely no morality loss. And it’s not like that’s an isolated incident. It happens all the time. It’s okay for my Sith Sorcerer to shock a man to death while he’s begging for his life because he was a gigantic douchebag… on Nar Shaddaa; but on Tatooine it’s not okay to shock a guy who isn’t begging for his life and is equally a douchebag. (Although it is okay to let Steve Blum murder him for revenge.)

There just is no fucking consistency. It wouldn’t be so bad if you weren’t A) completely railroaded into having to make an either or choice (excluding the very rare moments the game is nice enough to give you a morality choice with a neutral option or no counter morality option) and B) forced to pick between playing either light side or dark side. Yes, you can indeed play a neutral character. Except that Bioware forgot (they claim they didn’t have enough time) to put in neutral morality gear. This isn’t the first time Bioware has forced me to nerf myself, so it’s not surprising. (I had to play through all of Mass Effect 2 without a helmet and all associated stats because Bioware forgot to include a ‘hide helmet’ option.) The only good thing is that The Old Republic is easy, so the stat losses from playing a neutral character are negligible.

Just got this from the banned review thread.

I think this criticism makes a ton of sense and really sheds a light on how stupid morality systems often end up.

CzarTim

If they weren't adding neutral gear soon, I'd agree. But it's extremely easy to get LS and DS points. Grind up diplomacy and/or do FPs.

Just got this from the banned review thread.

I think this criticism makes a ton of sense and really sheds a light on how stupid morality systems often end up.

Also, with so many quests, so many programmers, so many writers, action A might not cause the same light/dark changes in 1 scenario vs another.

They really should drop the whole light/dark system. Or just have light gear cuz based off what I played, you tend to be rewarded more from quests if you do the dirty deeds o_O.

Jtrizzy

I'm having a weird issue where the holograms from droids don't appear...just the speech. Is there a way to go back to a cut scene with holograms somehow so I can test it?

frequency

Ran SWTOR for like an hour. As usual, everything is fine until I quit the game. It froze my PC again after a few minutes.
Not a blue screen like last time, but just froze like previous times. And I had to hit the button to reset it manually.

So I don't think it's heat issues and that blue screen was probably related, but not the core issue. I'm hours past bed time though and need to get up for work in like 4 hours so I'll go find where to report issues to Bioware tomorrow.

Maybe it was coincidence that it started around the time the patch came about. I should try running other games for extended periods of time to see if it happens.

daoster

Attention Gafers on Keller's Void:

Let's have a meet-up at the PVP area on Tatooine this Friday (the 13th) at 8PM EST.

That area is free-for-all, so it won't matter if more people show up from one side.

Here's where it is, for those who don't know:

Should be fun to hang out with everyone from both sides.

So how am I suppose to get there if I have to go venture through Imp base?

Jtrizzy

How do I get some robes or a different outfit for my Jedi Knight? I'm only level 5, is that something I don't get till later? This outfit I'm wearing now isn't very cool.

glaurung

How do I get some robes or a different outfit for my Jedi Knight? I'm only level 5, is that something I don't get till later? This outfit I'm wearing now isn't very cool.
Either go and cough up some dough at a vendor or better yet - keep playing and you will get lots of nicer gear as rewards for your character class quest line.

In theory you should not be buying anything gear-wise before you exit the tutorial areas. So it's better to save up your cash.

Choc

Banned
Ran SWTOR for like an hour. As usual, everything is fine until I quit the game. It froze my PC again after a few minutes.
Not a blue screen like last time, but just froze like previous times. And I had to hit the button to reset it manually.

Maybe it was coincidence that it started around the time the patch came about. I should try running other games for extended periods of time to see if it happens.

mine does this to. ATI by chance?

Top Bottom