• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Jibbed

I picked up the game last week and I've had fun so far, but I feel like the story for both of my characters is grinding (that word describes the feel of everything right now) to a halt.

I've got a level 13 Republic Trooper (Commando) and a level 13 Sith Warrior (Marauder)..

The Trooper is my first character, and right now I've just finished the Merchant's Guild missions on Coruscant. The next 'section' focused on the Black Sun is sounding a hell of a lot like the previous few hours I've done, so I'm not really motivated to carry on. Also, during the Flashpoint mission and other similar 'strong' boss encounters, I've felt pretty weak (lots of deaths, not much damage vs. other players).. am I missing something?

I've had much more fun with the Sith Warrior so far though, Korriban and Dromund Kaas seem far more interesting for some reason. In combat I feel much more powerful in comparison to the Trooper, but I've heard a lot of negativity about balancing etc.. so now I'm worried I've chosen the wrong path again. Now I've got fully stuck in to Kaas missions, it's starting to feel very much like the Coruscant sections again, which isn't helping.

Is there something decent/interesting/new just around the corner for my characters? Is it worth holding out for a few more hours?

I tried starting a Jedi Consular path but that didn't hold me for much more than an hour. Bounty Hunter seems quite interesting, though I'm afraid it'll be too similar to my experiences with the Trooper class.

Want to hear something stupid? I just tried to change my password via the website to a 20-digit password with mixed upper case, lower case letters and numbers. It accepted my password and said it changed it. Now it won't let me log in with the exact same password I just changed it to. I suspect that there is a password length limit that they a) don't tell you about, and b) check sometimes (like when you log in) but not other times (like when you set your password).

Fucking stupid, now I'm sitting here waiting for a goddamn password reset email that they supposedly fired off 15 minutes ago and I still haven't gotten yet.

My problem was that it never seemed to take effect after the email. I think what occurred (this is a guess) is the changes is made, but the server/website isn't updated until a little later.

As I said earlier oddly enough it took my me 5 minutes to get help with a security question from number dialed to hanging up.

Want to hear something stupid? I just tried to change my password via the website to a 20-digit password with mixed upper case, lower case letters and numbers. It accepted my password and said it changed it. Now it won't let me log in with the exact same password I just changed it to. I suspect that there is a password length limit that they a) don't tell you about, and b) check sometimes (like when you log in) but not other times (like when you set your password).

Fucking stupid, now I'm sitting here waiting for a goddamn password reset email that they supposedly fired off 15 minutes ago and I still haven't gotten yet.

Yes, this is dumb, and yes, you have to stop at exactly 16 characters. Your password is now the first 16 characters of whatever you changed it to and if you input all 20 it won't work.

Soroc

Speaking of the ship droid.

Does anyone know what gifts they like? The guide from a site I saw only shows the main companions you acquire I couldn't find the ship droid :(

Jtrizzy

Any advice for someone totally new to this genre? I picked the game up recently as a big Star Wars fan, but am a little lost. I'm going online now though if anyone wants to play...I did join the gaf server when I picked this up a week or two ago.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Any advice for someone totally new to this genre? I picked the game up recently as a big Star Wars fan, but am a little lost. I'm going online now though if anyone wants to play...I did join the gaf server when I picked this up a week or two ago.
Bookmark this page of terms and their meanings until you understand the shorthand of MMOspeak.

http://knol.google.com/k/frank-lee/beginner-s-guide-to-mmorpg/1t7ogz3yeuzns/61#

Other than that.. take things slow. Dont worry about being behind. The process is not a race. Also dont be afraid to ask questions. You might have to put up with an asshole or two that make fun of you but fuck em. A newbie that asks questions is a good player rather than not asking questions. Do not fear asking. Join the GAF guild if you are on their server. These games are (mostly) about having fun with others. Guilds help a lot.

Jtrizzy

thanks. Yeah I'm a jedi knight, but I think I used all of my melee attacks or something. I can't figure out how to fight these raider guys at the very beginning.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
thanks. Yeah I'm a jedi knight, but I think I used all of my melee attacks or something. I can't figure out how to fight these raider guys at the very beginning.
Something you might want to do is go to Preferences > User Interface > Quickbars and enable the extra left, right, and center quickbars. This gives you more places to put the games numerous abilities.

i am unfamiliar with the class or the fight so i cant really advise you. From what others mention however the Jedi Knight class and its Imperial mirror the Sith Marauder are a bit more difficult than other classes. It might be wise to choose another character until Bioware fixes whatever makes these classes underpowered (again i dont know what is lacking because i havent played them).

Jtrizzy

So can you have multiple characters then I guess? If so what is a good one I can start with to get a feel for the game? I'm going to start a new one anyway, as I think I used up all of the little icons at the bottom (now you see how little I know about the genre)

Game looks pretty nice though considering the genre, or am I being too forgiving?

Something you might want to do is go to Preferences > User Interface > Quickbars and enable the extra left, right, and center quickbars. This gives you more places to put the games numerous abilities.

i am unfamiliar with the class or the fight so i cant really advise you. From what others mention however the Jedi Knight class and its Imperial mirror the Sith Marauder are a bit more difficult than other classes. It might be wise to choose another character until Bioware fixes whatever makes these classes underpowered (again i dont know what is lacking because i havent played them).

yeah its a shame as the charging is the most fun mechanic in the game (like vanguard from ME) but even the starter planet has difficulty spikes for newcomers to MMO's

for a beginner the bounty hunter is amazing. its a much easier time as you have heavy armor from the start, get a really cool companion very early on (my favorite in the game I think), and the starter planet missions have no difficulty spikes.

frequency

Jedi Knight has a mechanic kind of similar to combo points in WoW.
You have to use the regular attack (default mapped to the 1 key) to build up enough points to use other abilities. I don't know how to explain this to someone who isn't familiar with MMOs. Maybe someone else can try.

TheYanger

Nothing else to explain (and it's more like runic power or rage than combo points ;)

""You build resources with your basic attack and spend it on your special attacks."

TheYanger

To someone new to MMOs these descriptions mean nothing. i would elaborate more but honestly im too drunk atm.

How much more vague can you be? I mean, at some point you're not describing anything. You could just as easily say 'Press A to make mario jump' and someone doesn't understand what jumping is, but that's a bit absurd imo ;) "You have buttons that initiate various attacks, one is very basic and just does damage, that one gives you resources, you then spend those resources to use your more advanced attacks that do more damage or special abilities'
These are basic 'gaming' (not even video game) terms that anyone with any form of vocabulary can understand. None of it is MMO specific in the least.

I have armormech/scavenging/underworldtrading all above 100 and I'm thinking of dropping it before I go any further with them. I've yet to reach the point where I actually gain money from any of it. Can't make anything good enough to actually sell on the AH, nor can I make anything nearly good enough to actually use myself.

What's an alternative that could actually make me some money or be at all useful? I'm a bounty hunter mercenary.

Jtrizzy

Ok so I figured out how to get my attacks on the hotbar at the bottom, and killed a few raiders but I keep running out of focus trying to attack the raiders.

1. How do I get more focus?
2. When in combat, is the proper method to right click on the enemy, run up close the click melee icon in my hot bar. Or should I just be pressing the 1 button? I have a G13 so maybe I should try mapping these keys out some.

frequency

Nothing else to explain (and it's more like runic power or rage than combo points ;)

""You build resources with your basic attack and spend it on your special attacks."

I never played a Death Knight. I wasn't a huge fan of WotLK so I never got around to trying it.

I'm really having a hard time finding a class I'm really excited to play. :(

I had that problem too. I eventually just randomly chose one of a type I wanted (healing/dps/tank or whatever) and stuck with it. I grew to like it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Imperial Agent story is so much better compared to the Jedi Consular (my first character).

Soroc

You can summon the ship companion to you like the other companions. I haven't tried to give a gift to him yet though, figured I would be able to, will have to try! :)

Just tried it. Yes you can give gifts to the ship companion. Just don't know what he likes. C2N2 does not like military gear though! :)

Jtrizzy

Starting to figure this out, and am liking it. So I get how melee works no, but I still don't get the focus thing or how the other powers are working. I'm enjoying the force leap quite a bit though.

Is it me or is the frame rate pretty shitty at times considering the level of detail this game is at?

edit...I'm getting a constant 60, maybe what I'm seeing is related to lag?

Just tried it. Yes you can give gifts to the ship companion. Just don't know what he likes. C2N2 does not like military gear though! :)

Does he do anything in combat? I summoned him once (2V-R8 for Bounty Hunters) and saw he has a bunch of combat abilities, and a lot of quests offer companion gear for him. Just wondering if anyone had tried to kit him out and if he was any good in combat or not.

I could really use this right now. I don't want to hang out in the fleet looking for people in general chat. I want to be out doing my dailies or something. I also skipped 90% of Heroic quests because I didn't want to spam general looking for people for half an hour.

I would grab heroics then every once in a while ask in general if anyone was interested. Worked pretty well for the most part, but obviously after you run out of quests / reasons to do quests itll be a problem

Varna

Ok so I figured out how to get my attacks on the hotbar at the bottom, and killed a few raiders but I keep running out of focus trying to attack the raiders.

1. How do I get more focus?
2. When in combat, is the proper method to right click on the enemy, run up close the click melee icon in my hot bar. Or should I just be pressing the 1 button? I have a G13 so maybe I should try mapping these keys out some.

It's going to take a while to get use to MMO controls. Personally I don't click on enemies with the mouse most of the time. I TAB quickly to get the one I want (usually it selects them in proximity order, but sometimes it can screw you up).

As for actually attacking. I only use keys 1-5 and everything around movement keys that isn't in use by something important... Q,E,R,X,V. I have three buttons on my mouse I use as well when I need to react really quickly (such as interrupt action). SHIFT + 1-5 and all the other keys are also in use as well... yeah, it takes a while to get the hang of it. hang in there.

Starting to figure this out, and am liking it. So I get how melee works no, but I still don't get the focus thing or how the other powers are working. I'm enjoying the force leap quite a bit though.

Is it me or is the frame rate pretty shitty at times considering the level of detail this game is at?

edit...I'm getting a constant 60, maybe what I'm seeing is related to lag?

Focus builds when you use your normal attack and force leap. Most skills require focus/rage to be activated, some instantly build it. Read the descriptions. :)

This game in general runs quiet bad on even the best hardware. Nothing you can do about it yet...

I could really use this right now. I don't want to hang out in the fleet looking for people in general chat. I want to be out doing my dailies or something. I also skipped 90% of Heroic quests because I didn't want to spam general looking for people for half an hour.

I just hope it doesn't devolve into the shitfest that is the WoW LFG tool (last time I used it was early Cata).

Join a group, teleport in, tank/healer says something retarded like "TOO MANY DKS!" quits, and gets an instant qeue for another group while the rest of us are stuck waiting 30-40 minutes just to get another asshat that does the same thing.

Best solution would be something like the group finder in DDO, where you can go to the LFG list and see what a group needs/wants to run and current party make-up before joining.

I also don't like instant porting to instances, the travel time is a good opportunity for PUGs to chat about strategy, skill, etc. etc. instead of just charging into a pack of mobs and THEN discovering you should have waited for someone to CC a certain mob.

I'm sure others have different opnions of course.

Jtrizzy

Thanks for the reply. I'm really starting to enjoy this game. I can see how something like this could be addicting for sure. I do wish the text was a little bigger, it's a little small on my big screen. I'm sure this type of game is better suited to a monitor that you are sitting in front of though.

Yeah the controls are gonna be difficult, especially since I am new to PC gaming. FPS is a total mind fuck for me coming from consoles, but this could be a good game to get my kb/m skills up.

Soroc

Didn't see this posted. They talked about where they plan to take the Legacy System:

G4TV Interview about Legacy System

"The Legacy tree is basically a family. So think of Star Wars, it does have a lot of family elements in it. The most famous family relationship in cinema almost is Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. So with the Legacy system, you can make your characters the sons, daughters, brothers, friends of your main character. All of the characters you have within the family tree that you've created, they all gain experience."

"Your different family members may even, one day, meet each other in game for a massive Skywalker-esque showdown. Ohlen and his team have talked about adding that to the game. "Obviously that's kind of the dream. If we do something like that, it will definitely be in the future."

A good bit more in the full interview

Choc

Banned
Didn't see this posted. They talked about where they plan to take the Legacy System:

"The Legacy tree is basically a family. So think of Star Wars, it does have a lot of family elements in it. The most famous family relationship in cinema almost is Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. So with the Legacy system, you can make your characters the sons, daughters, brothers, friends of your main character. All of the characters you have within the family tree that you've created, they all gain experience."

"Your different family members may even, one day, meet each other in game for a massive Skywalker-esque showdown. Ohlen and his team have talked about adding that to the game. "Obviously that's kind of the dream. If we do something like that, it will definitely be in the future."

this isnt good for altoholics :D

Does he do anything in combat? I summoned him once (2V-R8 for Bounty Hunters) and saw he has a bunch of combat abilities, and a lot of quests offer companion gear for him. Just wondering if anyone had tried to kit him out and if he was any good in combat or not.

The Droid is a healer, really has no combat use though

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

That's pretty cool. I like how they took into account having different species under the same legacy name. I was wondering that myself.

Xiaoki

Sounds like an updated version of the horrible thing they have now is in the "design stages". Meaning, in 6 months we will have an equally worthless system.

BioWare not being interested in a cross server LFD tool to prevent people from being jerks is just utterly laughable.

It really does seem like BioWare is doing EVERYTHING they can to make TOR flop.

From that it sounds like legacy system is basically the renown system from WAR. You get unlocks of little perks as you level, but nothing hugely game impacting.

Sounds like an updated version of the horrible thing they have now is in the "design stages". Meaning, in 6 months we will have an equally worthless system.

BioWare not being interested in a cross server LFD tool to prevent people from being jerks is just utterly laughable.

It really does seem like BioWare is doing EVERYTHING they can to make TOR flop.

Cross server dungeon finder can burn in a fire. Keep it on the server is how it should be.

Cross server dungeon finder can burn in a fire. Keep it on the server is how it should be.
You know, you can still make same-server groups even if there's a cross-server dungeon finder. I did it all the time in Wrath to finish Glory of the Hero.

Though I wouldn't mind any improved LFD tool, same-server is fine, as long as it allows you to go do shit while you're looking/queueing. Spamming chat while sitting in fleet is not "community" and I won't bother with it.

rockx4

Anything new on the AA front or should I just go with what's in the op?

Just force AA for now, no sense in waiting. The OP says the ini edit doesn't work on ATI/AMD cards, but it didn't really seem to work for me on a gtx 580. I got some smoothing on my characters, but my environment had aliasing problems still. I had to use nvidiainspector, and it worked perfect.

Just force AA for now, no sense in waiting. The OP says the ini edit doesn't work on ATI/AMD cards, but it didn't really seem to work for me on a gtx 580. I got some smoothing on my characters, but my environment had aliasing problems still. I had to use nvidiainspector, and it worked perfect.

Why cant you just do it through the ATI Catalyst Control Panel?

Fighting my own characters would be weird and cool at the same time. Would I really want my Bounty Hunter to kill my Sith though? I think it would be cool to just see your alts hanging out on your ship or something. Or take them with you as companions.

Top Bottom