• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Here I am posing very menacingly on the light bridge of the Red Reaper.

Screenshot_2012-01-09_20_42_38_908496%20-%20Copy.jpg

Derrick01

Banned
"No-one betrays me and lives"...holds out empty fist...BLAM!

This happens with my assassin. He grabs his double bladed saber but nothing comes out, so he's just swinging the handle and some invisible thing apparently kills the guy. Funny at first but it happens every time, kind of old now.

They need to speed up that balloon on Tatooine for those two datacrons. That thing was painful. Not to mention, the first time I tried it, it it despawned five minutes away from the destination. The expletives out of my mouth would make a sailor blush.

It was the first time I tried /say in front of some Republic chaps and it felt weird conversing with the opposite faction. Worked out though, they actually helped to do a knock back that allowed me to get the power datacron on the ledge after failing the jumping puzzle from the top. I ended up getting slaughtered for going PvP but at least they waited till I was done.

I was in early beta and it was originally a 3 hour round trip. Guess who was screaming on the beta forums.

^^^

frequency

mine does this to. ATI by chance?

No. NVidia. Does it happen to you every time too? I want to play but I don't want to risk breaking my computer every time I exit the game :(

The morality system in TOR is flawed mostly because of the way its presented. "Light Side" Options for the Empires classes arent really light side in the fashion Republic Light side options are.

For instance as a Sorceror most Light Side options are still evil and dastardly but instead of being selfish and all about my own motives the light side option is something that benefits the Empire at my own personal gains expense. For instance instead of murdering a Force Mystic I enslave her forever and force her to tell her people to join the Empire which they will do.

Neither of those options are very "light side" yet one of those are listed as such.

This is why I just can't bring myself to play on the Empire.
Well... kind of. It goes further than just the Light option.
On the Republic side, if I want to be "evil" and do jerk things, I can.
On the Imperial side, if I want to be "good" and be nice... I can't.

I hear it's just an exception with some of the quests, but it's not. Just regular dialog choices of my character has her saying some pretty mean things, or talking down to people, or throwing out threats for no reason, or talking about doing violent things.
And with the stupid ME-style dialog wheel, I can never tell what my character is actually going to say. So I'm consistently hitting dialog where my character isn't what I want her to be. She's a jerk no matter what I do.

So I'm stuck playing on the Republic forever.

Garryk

can someone tell me how early JK can get the companion
Kira Carsen
? Dont think its a spoiler, but just in case...
You get
her as a temporary companion around 15-16 and she becomes a crew member at the end of the class questline on Coruscant.

Choc

Banned
No. NVidia. Does it happen to you every time too? I want to play but I don't want to risk breaking my computer every time I exit the game :(

if i play for a loooooong time yes.

if i leave swtor and then leave the computer for a while without sort of touching it, i get it as well.

and it seems to have happened after one of the early patches

Choc

Banned
can someone tell me how early JK can get the companion
Kira Carsen
? Dont think its a spoiler, but just in case...

edit: earlier answered

and for those saying there is no 'good' empire options, its a load of crap in general from my experience.

For example, i recently free'd a jedi instead of killing them. Not entirely sure how thats bad good?

putting my guardian on break until w/e jk balance in the future.

Jesus Commandos are sooo much easier to level. And it is pretty satisfying. My Naga is feeling a bit lonely though. Don't have to juggle 2 dozen skills...

putting my guardian on break until w/e jk balance in the future.

Jesus Commandos are sooo much easier to level. And it is pretty satisfying. My Naga is feeling a bit lonely though. Don't have to juggle 2 dozen skills...

Hmm not sure what people are finding wrong with the JK/SW, at least not with the tank build. I steamroll through the game so far with my tank SW.

My alt is a commando trooper and I'm having a much harder time and challenge

Like he said... By the time you get a ship you will have her as a real one.

oh awesome read fail. I thought he meant at the end of the class storyline in total, but thinking about it that would make absolutely no sense.

nice! having played BH with adorable mako, I miss having a cute companion with the JK

Venfayth

Anyone else feel like Corellia is the worst zone in the game?

It's just so massive, and yet despite that, the individual sections within the zone are sprawling and complicated with no clear direction of where you're going, I basically have to keep my map open the entire time. Also, there are no checkpoint throughout the sections, so if you want to go back and turn in quests, you better be prepared to spend 10 minutes getting back to where you were. Total clusterfuck.

Zafir

I liked the aesthetics of Corellia however the layout was terrible. The map isn't that helpful either. You'd see a path on the map, and you go to it to find out it's blocked off.

Garryk

Here I am posing very menacingly on the light bridge of the Red Reaper.

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pneRV05MJ1mxkNX9fGXKOm8wonjfC18jTZWLy5IAM08WTdi7KAaM9_0sDF8Sqv0QdSh_Jh16LKBFv5RQhVcyaSQ/Screenshot_2012-01-09_20_42_38_908496%20-%20Copy.jpg?psid=1[IMG][/QUOTE]

You're one of the few people I've seen that didn't make a huge Juggy. Seems most everyone on my server went with Body #4.

EDIT: Just noticed boobs. Internet rules: NO FAT CHICKS

You're one of the few people I've seen that didn't make a huge Juggy. Seems most everyone on my server went with Body #4.

EDIT: Just noticed boobs. Internet rules: NO FAT CHICKS

Yea I went with body 2 on my male Jug and it seems like every Sith I group with is huge, so I always look like the tiny tank.

Tacitus_

I liked the aesthetics of Corellia however the layout was terrible. The map isn't that helpful either. You'd see a path on the map, and you go to it to find out it's blocked off.

Yeah. The map was goddamn annoying. Too bad the quests were awesome so I can't be bothered to skip it on my alt :|

Emitan

Anyone else not like Nar Shada? I got tired of it so I'm relying on Warzones for XP and I'm just going to stealth past everything. I want to get somewhere besides Coruscant 2.0

Meier

I hear it's just an exception with some of the quests, but it's not. Just regular dialog choices of my character has her saying some pretty mean things, or talking down to people, or throwing out threats for no reason, or talking about doing violent things.
And with the stupid ME-style dialog wheel, I can never tell what my character is actually going to say. So I'm consistently hitting dialog where my character isn't what I want her to be. She's a jerk no matter what I do.
A Sith being LS is mostly ridiculous anyway. My Bounty Hunter is LS and I constantly let guys live or do other legitimately good things.

My Sith Sorceror is evil because that's what she should be.

frequency

A Sith being LS is mostly ridiculous anyway. My Bounty Hunter is LS and I constantly let guys live or do other legitimately good things.

Why should they be evil? Why is it ridiculous?
Jedi DS can do some pretty mean things. Why can't Sith LS be nice?

And some of the shared quests only have 1 outcome anyway.
For example, there's an early quest in Dromund Kaas to deal with a slave revolt.
No matter what you do, the quest is to kill them. Your choice is to either do it slowly or quickly. It's not a class quest. It's just a normal shared quest by all Imperial characters.

Bazza

Im not sure if someone else has posted this but what iv pasted below is taken from the link below i dont have enough time check the new posts in this thread while im at work, if it is something that has been mentioned i can delete the post.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=167957

this is one of the threads related to the low/high graphics setting.

This is a post i read on page 3 or 4 i think

"Not to feed the flames here... but I'm extremely disappointed by Bioware's decision on the matter, and I'm pretty confident that their decision to cater to the lowest common denominator and only that, will not work to their advantage.

This is the first time I have ever played an MMO where developers have decided to halve the texture quality not as an option but as a mandatory change across all clients. It's unforgivable, and the reasons behind it are ridiculous.

Until now, I've been tinkering a lot with the .ini as well as NvidiaInspector to try to force high res character textures.
Thinking it was an LOD bug, I forced the LOD bias to -3.00 and noticed something else happening instead. It seems we may not even be getting the best environment textures the game has to offer because the standard LOD refuses to render them.

I've attached screenshots below for comparison between what the game is rendering at standard "high" settings, and what the game renders with LOD bias forced below the standard threshold.

Standard LOD:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/Cgramnaes/SWTOR_No_LOD.jpg

Forced LOD:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/Cgramnaes/SWTOR_Forced_LOD.jpg

I should also mention that the change has made no impact on my FPS, and has if anything made the game run smoother for me."

i had a little test last night and the improvement is pleasant on the eyes. unfortunately iv not seen how you might do this with radeon cards but im sure there is a way. Im going through Dromand Kaas with a friend last night and the lit up areas on buildings can be seen on the reflective areas on floors etc.

You can't be a "light side sith" in this. You just are less of a jerk and super villainy.

It's semantics of the use of works light/dark and the SW license slapped onto an alignment system. It's also silly that non force users suffer dark side corruption effects.

frequency

You can't be a "light side sith" in this. You just are less of a jerk and super villainy.

It's semantics of the use of works light/dark and the SW license slapped onto an alignment system.

I guess that's why I generally don't like licensed games. If that's the reason why I can't be a nice and pleasant Sith then bleh on them.

Venfayth

Anyone else not like Nar Shada? I got tired of it so I'm relying on Warzones for XP and I'm just going to stealth past everything. I want to get somewhere besides Coruscant 2.0

Recently when I've complained about Corellia to friends, they've said that it was second only to Nar Shadaa in how much they disliked it.

I, personally, didn't mind Nar Shadaa, but I'm pretty sure you're not alone in that sentiment.

I think we should start some separate community threads for raiding purposes. It's sort of very ad hoc right now since we're using one thread trying to organize 2 guilds.

Varna

So I'm stuck playing on the Republic forever.

I just take it as being a victim of circumstances and simply not relishing doing evil. It would be pretty cool if somewhere down the line they added a series of faction switching quest... for those that want to give their light side imperial character's story more depth.

The illusion of choice is about all I expect in these kind of games and it's good enough for me.

frequency

I just take it as being a victim of circumstances and simply not relishing doing evil. It would be pretty cool if somewhere down the line they added a series of faction switching quest... for those that want to give their light side imperial character's story more depth.

The illusion of choice is about all I expect in these kind of games and it's good enough for me.

When I started my Sith Inquisitor, I had a vision of her being forced to do things she didn't want to do at first. Sith Inquistor's background is as a slave so it would make sense. But I was thinking as she got more power, she would work to change the Empire for the better - one person at a time.
I was envisioning a character that was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. A "victim of circumstance." If things were different and she was born in the Republic, she would have been a Jedi. But even with all the Sith power struggles and treachery, she would be different.

Instead, I'm forced to do things I don't want to do and because of the dialog, my character seems to enjoy it. I think that's my biggest problem with the Empire quests.

It hurts most because I got a glimpse of what I wanted in the beginner area. When you're supposed to trick that Jedi to give false information to the Republic by helping him "escape". I was able to tell him the truth and send him on his way. He was surprised and even made note to me that if things were different, I would be a Jedi. I was so happy at that. But then it all went bad once I hit Dromund Kaas.

It's a shame because I enjoy the Imperial locales so much more than the Republic ones. And I love the Inquisitor robes. I like the tube thingies and the beautiful patterns on them with vibrant and striking colours. The Consular robes look boring and brown and drab. Ugh.

Varna

When I started my Sith Inquisitor, I had a vision of her being forced to do things she didn't want to do at first. Sith Inquistor's background is as a slave so it would make sense. But I was thinking as she got more power, she would work to change the Empire for the better - one person at a time.
I was envisioning a character that was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. A "victim of circumstance." If things were different and she was born in the Republic, she would have been a Jedi. But even with all the Sith power struggles and treachery, she would be different.

Instead, I'm forced to do things I don't want to do and because of the dialog, my character seems to enjoy it. I think that's my biggest problem with the Empire quests.

It hurts most because I got a glimpse of what I wanted in the beginner area. When you're supposed to trick that Jedi to give false information to the Republic by helping him "escape". I was able to tell him to truth and send him on his way. He was surprised and even made note to me that if things were different, I would be a Jedi. I was so happy at that. But then it all went bad once I hit Dromund Kaas.

It's a shame because I enjoy the Imperial locales so much more than the Republic ones. And I love the Inquisitor robes. I like the tube thingies and the beautiful patterns on them with vibrant and striking colours. The Consular robes look boring and brown and drab. Ugh.

That sounds quiet different from what I've run into as a Sith Warrior. Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect in anyways. Plenty of options I thought could have been better. But in general in the back of my mind I know it's not possible to do huge branching paths so I've been pretty happy with what I have gotten. Right at the beginning (slight spoiler) you have a duel with your rival and as you are delivering the killing blow you can make it be for pretty different reasons.

Tacitus_

There were some times I really didn't want to pick the dark choice because it was Stupid Evil instead of Evil and the other side wasn't really "Light" but had it tagged like that for some reason.

Anyone else feel like Corellia is the worst zone in the game?

It's just so massive, and yet despite that, the individual sections within the zone are sprawling and complicated with no clear direction of where you're going, I basically have to keep my map open the entire time. Also, there are no checkpoint throughout the sections, so if you want to go back and turn in quests, you better be prepared to spend 10 minutes getting back to where you were. Total clusterfuck.

Agreed. While I liked the general look and story line of the zone, the place is pretty much a giant maze. I was level 50 when I went there and had the rank 3 speeder and it still took me forever to get around.

Side note (very minor end game spoiler)
Anyone else a disappointed with the rewards for the last planet and class quest? You're telling me I just saved the universe and all I get is one commendation and a blue mod? I was at least hoping for a cool looking orange piece or a purple mod.

I guess that's why I generally don't like licensed games. If that's the reason why I can't be a nice and pleasant Sith then bleh on them.

Not really a problem with a license, but it is following the fluff. There is no such thing as nice and pleasant sith, it kinda is a foundation of being Sith and the whole dark side thing. They would need to put in a system that you could basically turn into a Jedi, but then comes the whole having to switch sides in a faction based game and all the other issues with making that work in a story driven game.

Why should they be evil? Why is it ridiculous?
Jedi DS can do some pretty mean things. Why can't Sith LS be nice?

And some of the shared quests only have 1 outcome anyway.
For example, there's an early quest in Dromund Kaas to deal with a slave revolt.
No matter what you do, the quest is to kill them. Your choice is to either do it slowly or quickly. It's not a class quest. It's just a normal shared quest by all Imperial characters.

Every time someone complains about LS choices as a Emp player they quote this one singular completely skippable quest as their reason. It's ridiculously hilarious. As some who plays on Emp past this one stupid quest. You are more than capable of choosing actual light side choice regardless of class, on my sith jugg I have spared so many people, called out various people misdoings. All without my toon being a condescending douche to the NPC in question. This sentence is not directed to you but rather anyone who uses that one quest as a barometer of how "unfair" the quests are...fucking skip it.

The same thing exists on Pub side, my consular is DS, but even then many of her answers are damn sweet and nice to people when I clearly don't want her to be. I want her to be a condescending dick to people because I don't like being a Jedi. The mounds of convos in which I am allowed to be a dick, far outweigh the handful in which even the evil answer is actually just a less nice but still ponies in fields with rainbows nice.

Hell I'm sure my Imperial Agent would be killed for most of her actions, I've spared so many republic NPCs its ridiculous. Told countless Darths that their actions and reasons are dumb and pointless, hell I've told a few lords that they need to go light side...and I'm not even a force wielder. I saved a child from being sent to Korriban for Sith training, I helped shuttled off a warehouse full of force sensitive who were not strong enough/didn't want to be a sith to Republic side.

You are more than capable of being a tree hugger if you roll empire. Stick around past level 15 and you'll see that. (That is directed to everyone).

Im not sure if someone else has posted this but what iv pasted below is taken from the link below i dont have enough time check the new posts in this thread while im at work, if it is something that has been mentioned i can delete the post.

"Not to feed the flames here... but I'm extremely disappointed by Bioware's decision on the matter, and I'm pretty confident that their decision to cater to the lowest common denominator and only that, will not work to their advantage.

This is the first time I have ever played an MMO where developers have decided to halve the texture quality not as an option but as a mandatory change across all clients. It's unforgivable, and the reasons behind it are ridiculous.

Until now, I've been tinkering a lot with the .ini as well as NvidiaInspector to try to force high res character textures.
Thinking it was an LOD bug, I forced the LOD bias to -3.00 and noticed something else happening instead. It seems we may not even be getting the best environment textures the game has to offer because the standard LOD refuses to render them.

I've attached screenshots below for comparison between what the game is rendering at standard "high" settings, and what the game renders with LOD bias forced below the standard threshold.

Standard LOD:

Forced LOD:

I should also mention that the change has made no impact on my FPS, and has if anything made the game run smoother for me."

i had a little test last night and the improvement is pleasant on the eyes. unfortunately iv not seen how you might do this with radeon cards but im sure there is a way. Im going through Dromand Kaas with a friend last night and the lit up areas on buildings can be seen on the reflective areas on floors etc.

Wow, thats pretty damn awesome. I need this now!

Moaradin

The morality system in TOR is flawed mostly because of the way its presented. "Light Side" Options for the Empires classes arent really light side in the fashion Republic Light side options are.

Just depends on the class really. Inquisitor lightside is sill a dick from what I've seen, but Imperial Agent probably has the best lightside/darkside choices.

Bazza

Wow, thats pretty damn awesome. I need this now!

really is surprising, iv not been able to do side by side screenshots of my toon yet so im basing this of my poor memory but im almost certain that the armour on my toon appeared more defined.

anyway finish work in an hour so i can give it a try.

Blitzzz

Standard LOD:

Forced LOD:

I thought forcing negative LOD bias always had an over sharpening effect....no matter the game. Drawbacks being aliasing/shimmering in motion if not filtered

Standard LOD:

Forced LOD:

Wow, this game could look awesome. C'mon, Bioware.

I thought forcing negative LOD bias always had an over sharpening effect....no matter the game. Drawbacks being aliasing/shimmering in motion if not filtered

It does, I tried this last night and the textures were shimmering pretty badly on Taris. Made the game look worse, IMO.

frequency

Not really a problem with a license, but it is following the fluff. There is no such thing as nice and pleasant sith, it kinda is a foundation of being Sith and the whole dark side thing. They would need to put in a system that you could basically turn into a Jedi, but then comes the whole having to switch sides in a faction based game and all the other issues with making that work in a story driven game.

Well whatever it is, it sucks for me. But I'll live. I'll just have to be Republic.
I don't really care about being Sith or Jedi. I have no attachment to the license. I just want to be a spell caster who happens to be nice to people but also has fancy looking dresses.

Every time someone complains about LS choices as a Emp player they quote this one singular completely skippable quest as their reason. It's ridiculously hilarious. As some who plays on Emp past this one stupid quest. You are more than capable of choosing actual light side choice regardless of class, on my sith jugg I have spared so many people, called out various people misdoings. All without my toon being a condescending douche to the NPC in question. This sentence is not directed to you but rather anyone who uses that one quest as a barometer of how "unfair" the quests are...fucking skip it.

The same thing exists on Pub side, my consular is DS, but even then many of her answers are damn sweet and nice to people when I clearly don't want her to be. I want her to be a condescending dick to people because I don't like being a Jedi. The mounds of convos in which I am allowed to be a dick, far outweigh the handful in which even the evil answer is actually just a less nice but still ponies in fields with rainbows nice.

Hell I'm sure my Imperial Agent would be killed for most of her actions, I've spared so many republic NPCs its ridiculous. Told countless Darths that their actions and reasons are dumb and pointless, hell I've told a few lords that they need to go light side...and I'm not even a force wielder. I saved a child from being sent to Korriban for Sith training, I helped shuttled off a warehouse full of force sensitive who were not strong enough/didn't want to be a sith to Republic side.

You are more than capable of being a tree hugger if you roll empire. Stick around past level 15 and you'll see that. (That is directed to everyone).

I used it because it's the most striking example I've come by.

But it goes beyond just Light/Dark side options and the outcome of them.
It's also just regular dialog. Like I think I was talking to the guy who wanted me to go kill some Bounty Hunter.
All 3 dialog choices (which weren't related to Dark or Light side) had my character saying something that implied I enjoyed random violence.

I'm more invested in my character in this game than any other MMO. So it breaks the experience for me whenever she says/does something I don't want her to. I never have that issue on the Republic.

I'm sure it's the same if you wanted to be "evil" on the Republic.

I don't know. Whatever. It might not be a big deal for most, but it's a huge deal for me.
But it's not like I'm going to quit or condemning the game for it. I'll just continue playing Republic with my boring fleet, boring cities, and boring clothing... assuming the issues I'm having with the game and my computer can be fixed.

Hmm not sure what people are finding wrong with the JK/SW, at least not with the tank build. I steamroll through the game so far with my tank SW.

My alt is a commando trooper and I'm having a much harder time and challenge

Heard JK gets easier after you get doc, but right now at aldaaran. Accidently tagging 2 mobs = instant death.

Having only 1 good mob move with cd is pretty annoying for leveling.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Well whatever it is, it sucks for me. But I'll live. I'll just have to be Republic.
I don't really care about being Sith or Jedi. I have no attachment to the license.
BH and IA have much more meaningful light side/dark side choices in their story missions.

Top Bottom