• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Jtrizzy

Either go and cough up some dough at a vendor or better yet - keep playing and you will get lots of nicer gear as rewards for your character class quest line.

In theory you should not be buying anything gear-wise before you exit the tutorial areas. So it's better to save up your cash.

Which areas are considered tutorial? So far I've seen the Jedi Temple, and the Flesh Raider area next to it. Anyway, I'm having fun learning the new genre, being a big Star Wars fan makes it easy. The music is great, although not always done at the right moments imo.

Tacitus_

How do I get some robes or a different outfit for my Jedi Knight? I'm only level 5, is that something I don't get till later? This outfit I'm wearing now isn't very cool.

You're maybe 1 hour into the 120 hour leveling curve. Of course you don't get anything new. There's only one bit of gear and it's what you spawned with.

glaurung

Which areas are considered tutorial? So far I've seen the Jedi Temple, and the Flesh Raider area next to it. Anyway, I'm having fun learning the new genre, being a big Star Wars fan makes it easy. The music is great, although not always done at the right moments imo.
Everything up to getting your first companion is considered tutorial bits.

Basically leveling from lv1 to approximately lv10.

Choc

Banned
so imagine if you could do heroic +2s +4s with your alts via legacy

and even raids if enough alts were allowed

yeah i know its not that social, but maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan not having to share the loot

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i really hope UI customization is added soon because how things are setup now is annoying. Chat box at the top? i go to click on a guy planting a bomb in Voidstar and end up initiating chat. Bioware also needs to make the targeting better because 90% of the time i cant tell who the fuck is my target. The indicator is so tiny its basically worthless.

rockx4

i really hope UI customization is added soon because how things are setup now is annoying. Chat box at the top? i go to click on a guy planting a bomb in Voidstar and end up initiating chat. Bioware also needs to make the targeting better because 90% of the time i cant tell who the fuck is my target. The indicator is so tiny its basically worthless.

Yep the UI is pretty sad. I haven't seen them make mention of it in a while. Oh here's some info on 1.1 and beyond from a gamespot interview, and a eurogamer one.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/flashpoints-and-fixes-the-old-republic-rise-of-the-rakghouls-6348435/?tag=topslot;title;1
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-12-bioware-dates-swtor-patch-1-1-details-future-game-updates

I'm disappointed that the Legacy update seems to be update 2.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Voidstar.

1) Lose the Spacebar to Start nonsense.
2) Get rid of the opening movie. Have it be voiceover like the other two. No conversation please.
3) Ditch the speeder bike entry. i do not need to survey the battlefield before the match has started. Even if it has i dont need to see all the parts where nobody is.

Jedi: "I'm not the one you're looking for." *waves hand*

BH: "You are the moron I'm looking for." *waves hand*

Priceless.

I love it. So many good lines. I need to start memorizing them so I can start talking like one at work.

Boss: "We need you to do X"

Me: "Sounds like a job. What's in it for me?" *gruff voice and hand waving*

The UI has all the basic stuff you need to play, however they really should have give you frames so you can move/scale stuff to where you want it. As it is though it's pretty awful in some situations, like accidentally clicking on chat, or how party/raid frames overlap the left action bar. I keep a bunch of my abilities over there because the quest log is huge and overlaps the right action bar. Also you can't resize/move the companion action bar, ugh.

I did fine with the basic WoW UI, only mod I used put the health bars around my character instead of the top left so I could see it more easily while tanking, as well as some bag management stuff.

TheYanger

Voidstar.

1) Lose the Spacebar to Start nonsense.
2) Get rid of the opening movie. Have it be voiceover like the other two. No conversation please.
3) Ditch the speeder bike entry. i do not need to survey the battlefield before the match has started. Even if it has i dont need to see all the parts where nobody is.

The worst is if you start on offense and someone misses a queue, the timing between that person getting 'replaced' and the next person getting in, due to speeder bike bullshit, is basically JUUUST in time for them to get locked behind the doors after the match starts, I've been down 4 bodies because of this before and you basically auto-lose the first room at that point.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The chatbox should not be up top. The only part of the box that initiates chat is the chat field itself which when on top is near the center 1/3 of the screen where the majority of the game is viewed. If the box were on bottom this wouldnt be an issue at all because misclicking wouldnt initiate chat and lockout your hotbars until you hit enter. Until the UI can be changed it would be nice if Bioware added an option where the mouse cannot start chat.

Tacitus_

The worst is if you start on offense and someone misses a queue, the timing between that person getting 'replaced' and the next person getting in, due to speeder bike bullshit, is basically JUUUST in time for them to get locked behind the doors after the match starts, I've been down 4 bodies because of this before and you basically auto-lose the first room at that point.

I almost got kicked out because of that. Managed to clear the safe zone when I had 5s left on the deserter debuff.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Should post the interviews as well.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/12/rakghouls-and-raging-hutts-with-swtors-gabe-amatangelo/

Amatangelo says it's his personal favorite flashpoint: "The setting is awesome. It's dark with huge shadows, and everyone has flashlights they've got use to see their way through it. One of the first boss encounters puts your back up against the wall, and things are coming out from all different directions. Rakghouls have all the different kinds of mechanics. It's a lot of fun gameplay-wise. You have a turret and an explosive canister, and you just have to survive it then blow through the wall. The next area's like this creepy '50s-esque theater. It has a recording that's looping and scratchy. It's a lot of fun, and it's part one of two -- the conclusion comes out in an update in the near future."

As the previous patch 1.1 announcement mentions, the Karagga's Palace operation has been expanded to feature four bosses and a final face-off against Karagga the Unyielding. But how does one fight a Hutt? Amatangelo boasted, "We took a stab at that, and we are really excited about it. It's fun and funny at the same time. We're really excited about players getting a hold of that. It's great cinematic. There's this reverse shot of the player seeing Karagga, what he's doing, and how the player's going to face off against him. The reverse shot's on the player as he's looking up, confounded. It's a hilarious scene.

We figured since we had the attention of the lead PvP designer, we'd ask what's happening with the now-infamous open-world PvP zone Ilum.

"The objectives on Ilum were supposed to be on timers, and the timers were supposed to be locked down," says Amatangelo. "But in the 11th hour, the timers weren't working. So we knew what kind of behavior was going to evolve there. It's not like we were going to delay launch to fix that. But with 1.1, we are going to be handling a lot of those issue with a bunch of improvements there, like focusing on killing players. The objectives give you buffs, but ultimately you have to kill the players to get the rewards. We've included new spawn points as well as some optimization with the turrets.

"We do have longer-term plans for open-world PvP. It is open-world PvP; it's not an RvR system. I kept trying to throw that out there. I'm not saying that it's not something we don't want to do."

More on the legacy system.

GS: In terms of the legacy system, how much can you say about the features we can expect out of that?

JO: So the legacy system, it's kind of inspired by the fact that the family dynamic is so important in the Star Wars movies. You have Luke being Anakin's son, the most famous father-son relationship in movies. We wanted to have a system that encouraged players to create alts and to play the game through the different story paths. So the legacy system is meant to do that. It essentially allows you to, instead of just having a bunch of alts that have no relation to each other, you can actually create a family tree where your alts can be related to your main character, either as, you know, a sibling, a son, a father, a family friend, or a husband and wife.

You can actually choose the relationship your characters will have with each other. And then you gain legacy experience points and legacy levels, and with legacy experience points and levels, that gives you--that allows you to unlock abilities, perks, a whole slew of different advantages, essentially, that all the members of your legacy tree will be able to enjoy.

So it's pretty tight. I think people are going to really like it, and it's something we want to push towards players who enjoy the level-up game. It'll also be beneficial to the end game, but it really is going to have a lot of abilities that make leveling up even more enjoyable and allow you to customize your leveling experience.

More Warzones.

GS: You talked about war zones. Any chances we'll see different game types coming?

JO: We're gonna be introducing new war zones, we have a new war zone coming with update two, and we'll have more in the future as well. Some war zones will have mechanics that are similar to the mechanics we released with the game. Some war zones will have entirely new mechanics. We're gonna kind of go between those two. Some of the mechanics we have are very classic game mechanics, and I think players would enjoy having a completely different fiction behind that mechanic, with some twists to it. And at other times players are gonna want to have a game mechanic that's completely different. We want to take some risks, because sometimes that can really pay off.

Huttball, for example, is one that was a big--it was a game mechanic that was quite a bit different than I think what players were used to, but it paid off in a big way.

rockx4

apparently there is a datacron you cant get if you are to fat

LOL are you serious? That's pretty funny, and messed up.

Edit: Most of the datacrons are already a pain in the ass, if I took 30 mins getting to a datacron only to find out my character was too fat I'd be pissed.

antonz

The morality system in TOR is flawed mostly because of the way its presented. "Light Side" Options for the Empires classes arent really light side in the fashion Republic Light side options are.

For instance as a Sorceror most Light Side options are still evil and dastardly but instead of being selfish and all about my own motives the light side option is something that benefits the Empire at my own personal gains expense. For instance instead of murdering a Force Mystic I enslave her forever and force her to tell her people to join the Empire which they will do.

Neither of those options are very "light side" yet one of those are listed as such.

Thoraxes

Man, please let the new WZ have same faction competition. The new ones are gonna be worthless with all the population imbalances unless it can be the same on both sides.

Choc

Banned
LOL are you serious? That's pretty funny, and messed up.

Edit: Most of the datacrons are already a pain in the ass, if I took 30 mins getting to a datacron only to find out my character was too fat I'd be pissed.

+10 willpower on alderaan

http://www.swtor.com/fr/community/showthread.php?t=148222

"Galactic History 47 - Castle Panteer Datacron - Planet Alderaan - Opening of the door is not wide enough for someone who has a Frame3 which I have on my Jedi Guardian. So the question is can frame2 or frame1 fit? This needs to be enlarged for Frame4 to fit as well.
"

edit: oh shit there is two

The Port one on Correllia cannot be done by a type 3+ body frame using the follow the wall method

lol

antonz

Man, please let the new WZ have same faction competition. The new ones are gonna be worthless with all the population imbalances unless it can be the same on both sides.

They have said a new Same faction one is coming. Curious to see what they do next after Huttball

Thoraxes

They have said a new Same faction one is coming. Curious to see what they do next after Huttball

Maybe add a huge button that covers up 75% of your screen to let your teammates know that passing the huttball is possible and that teamwork is successful!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The morality system in TOR is flawed mostly because of the way its presented. "Light Side" Options for the Empires classes arent really light side in the fashion Republic Light side options are.

For instance as a Sorceror most Light Side options are still evil and dastardly but instead of being selfish and all about my own motives the light side option is something that benefits the Empire at my own personal gains expense. For instance instead of murdering a Force Mystic I enslave her forever and force her to tell her people to join the Empire which they will do.

Neither of those options are very "light side" yet one of those are listed as such.
There has only been a couple that ive run across that have been like that. They are definitely the exception as opposed to the rule. i piss off my superiors big time with the shit i pull. Sometimes it works out because i can salvage things via conversation options.. sometimes, such as in the case of Voss and Darth Serevin, there is no reconciliation. That dude was livid at my choice at the end lol

That's not a flaw for me, rather a benefit. Nice to see they didn't use the same good vs. bad for everything.

TheYanger

I had a companion droid briefly, but then my master took it from me.

Yeah you're still in the starter bits. The 'prologue' goes all the way until the end of Coruscant, which is the second planet. But the 'tutorial' in the normal sense is basically until you finish Tython. You need to do a bit yet :) And you'll get your droid back.

Darklord

Banned
Colicoid Games was pretty interesting. A nice shake up from the standard Flashpoints.

Also, for the planets(I'm level 42 so haven't seen all of them)

Good tier: Alderaan, Tatooine, Belavis
Mid tier: Nar shadaar, Dromund Kaas, Hutta, Balmoora, Quesh.
Shit tier: Hoth, Taris.

Good nice to get on Belavis after hoth and taris. Sort of refreshing in a way.

Colicoid Games was pretty interesting. A nice shake up from the standard Flashpoints.

Lain

At least the chatbox is movable, though it changes little when the other stuff aren't and there isn't a way to shrunk them.
Manual targeting, instead... Sometimes targeting something specific with the mouse is practically not possible, like when 2 mobs are close to each other, one always takes precedence even if both are pretty visible on the screen, so the only solution is tabbing or move around, which are both time wasting solutions.

Choc

Banned
i would think a new WZ would have to be open to both same faction and opposing otherwise the Republic wouldnt see much of it.

i get why they did it, but having the other two much better WZ's especially the alderaan one as same faction really wouldn't be dumb and people would get why..

its not like the warzones affect the freaking overall story anyway (yet......)

Choc

Banned

Also, for the planets(I'm level 42 so haven't seen all of them)

Good tier: Alderaan, Tatooine, Belavis
Mid tier: Nar shadaar, Dromund Kaas, Hutta, Balmoora, Quesh.
Shit tier: Hoth, Taris.

Good nice to get on Belavis after hoth and taris. Sort of refreshing in a way.

Hoth is shit really? what is with Bioware and fucking up iconic stuff in this game?

Jedi Knight? fucked

Hoth? Fucked

TheYanger

I actually liked hoth a lot. The only planets that even had 'stories' that stood out to me were Belsavis and Voss, so every other planet gets rated by tedium, and visuals. Hoth is fairly short, it looks and sounds awesome. I liked it a lot. Tatooine was shit.

Jtrizzy - jedi knight is the hardest starter planet of the classes in my experience, I tried most but not all classes

I think bounty hunter is the easiest.

if you get frustrated park your jedi knight at a catina for rest experience and do some bounty hunter, when you come back days later you can level much faster your JK

as jedi knight, do all the side missions you can and you have to use your abilities to take down tough enemies later in the planet - always train when you level up, and learn each ability especially what uses and what doesnt use focus. upgrade your equipment, get stims for health and eg endurance + 8, make sure they are on the button bar, later story class enemies will take everything you have (if you dont have AC) so you'll need to use the shield power, stims, most powerful attacks etc

it may be easier if you unlock your AC at 10, I didnt have the patience for it.

Choc

Banned
jedi knight being the toughest opening planet prepares you for how balls out hard it gets around level 30

edit: when i played jedi knight it was the only opening planet ive had where ive had to grind enemies to level to 10 before leaving

can someone add me to guild :( empire - leilahunter

on now

Because the morality system is not really light and dark side, it should have never have been called as such as it's merely a measure of a characters demeanor. A "light" sith is still a bad and evil person, he just is not a muahahah villain who sets fires to orphanages. You don't actually stop being a Sith. There are some converstionas that scratch your head at the choices though, but guess it's the nature of the size of the game and having so many different writers and hands in the cookie jar.

It's basically just like D&D alignments, where you have different levels of good and bad. Lawful evil, neutral evil, chaotic evil, lawful good, neutral good, chaotic good, etc, etc

You don't switch from evil to good, you simply change in your demanor.

The system is not flawed, it's just named poorly. It's obvious they did it because it's Star Wars so they slapped on the whole "light side vs dark side" thing, but it really is not appropriate labeling.

Sigfodr

Maybe add a huge button that covers up 75% of your screen to let your teammates know that passing the huttball is possible and that teamwork is successful!

This. I had a great teamwork experience yesterday. Someone passed the ball up to me on the walkway, an Operative stunned the Assassin that was waiting to off me. I hit my resolve so fast that I was only snared for the entire walk and I had a Knight there taking the damage for me. I got killed, but only after scoring the winning point (2-1).

Alex

The further I play in this game, I still love it and it's probably my favorite MMO of the Everquest vein (though I don't intend to go into raiding and long term subs and stuff anymore in these), but I draw on the same requests I have from WoW:

1.) More difficulty paths and risk/reward or at least give me the option to perpetually cheese it as such, like I'm doing now by running dungeons and 4x elite quests with two people, which has been very fun.

Nothing is more satisfying than blowing your whole toolbox, playing brilliantly, and scraping by a ridiculous scenario. That's why PvP, end game raiding and all that jazz are popular, and it should be dripping down, at least optionally, to the standard game

2.) Encouraged, persistent grouping. I'm paying my bucks to play a multiplayer game, solo should be the option, not the norm, I've always hated this trend. SWTOR does it better than some other titles by having good elite quests and having co-op mechanics littered all over certain elements, but I do wish it went further.

More options and scaling need to be applied to things besides just dungeons. Toss in some smart rewards and some other makeshift content and you could keep the game world alive for a lot longer than normal, too.

DodgerSan

Hoth is shit really? what is with Bioware and fucking up iconic stuff in this game?

Jedi Knight? fucked

Hoth? Fucked

Yeah, but it's all down to personal perception. I really enjoyed Taris for example.
For every person that hates a given zone, there'll be someone that enjoys it. Same with the stories.

Eg. Tatooine annoyed me from the voice perspective. It seemed that 95% of the npc's there were generic alien gibberish speakers. Just seemed lazy.

Top Bottom