• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

frequency

While I can understand where you're coming from, but you're basically asking to play a game in it setting but no be bound by the setting/lore.

I know. I'm not really expecting it to change just for me.
I'm more kind of just lamenting it openly on a forum because... um... I don't know. Forums.

Ran SWTOR for like an hour. As usual, everything is fine until I quit the game. It froze my PC again after a few minutes.
Not a blue screen like last time, but just froze like previous times. And I had to hit the button to reset it manually.

So I don't think it's heat issues and that blue screen was probably related, but not the core issue. I'm hours past bed time though and need to get up for work in like 4 hours so I'll go find where to report issues to Bioware tomorrow.

Maybe it was coincidence that it started around the time the patch came about. I should try running other games for extended periods of time to see if it happens.

Bummer. The only thing I can really think of is to run Windows Update and update everything, including all optional updates, and also to visit your laptop's support center on the manufacturer's website and downloaded updated drivers for everything.

You might also try running SWTOR in windowed mode and exiting the game with Alt+F4 instead of the normal way. Do this after you've already logged out of the game and are back at server selection though.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yep the UI is pretty sad. I haven't seen them make mention of it in a while. Oh here's some info on 1.1 and beyond from a gamespot interview, and a eurogamer one.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/flashpoints-and-fixes-the-old-republic-rise-of-the-rakghouls-6348435/?tag=topslot;title;1
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-12-bioware-dates-swtor-patch-1-1-details-future-game-updates

I'm disappointed that the Legacy update seems to be update 2.

From the Eurogamer article:

Some "other stuff" the SWTOR team is working on besides these Game Updates is, "We want to make the galaxy feel more alive". "So we have a team that's entirely focused on events in the galaxy," Ohlen revealed.

That's really good to hear.

rockx4 said:
Just be wary, there are a lot of "big ass" jedi knight armor :p

http://i.imgur.com/kx8MH.jpg

Found that pic on google.

I don't remember where but I read that was actually a rigging bug with the armour and it would be fixed eventually.

frequency

Bummer. The only thing I can really think of is to run Windows Update and update everything, including all optional updates, and also to visit your laptop's support center on the manufacturer's website and downloaded updated drivers for everything.

You might also try running SWTOR in windowed mode and exiting the game with Alt+F4 instead of the normal way. Do this after you've already logged out of the game and are back at server selection though.

I will try when I get home. I always do the Windows Update when the thing pops up though.

Thank you again for the help.

Derrick01

Banned
Getting through 49 is going to take forever isn't it? Or at least feel like it takes forever. I just hit it and turned in like 5 quests, feels like I made no progress on the bar :(

Oh well I'm looking forward to wrapping my Assassin story up. It's been building up great so far.

Azzurri

Getting through 49 is going to take forever isn't it? Or at least feel like it takes forever. I just hit it and turned in like 5 quests, feels like I made no progress on the bar :(

Oh well I'm looking forward to wrapping my Assassin story up. It's been building up great so far.

Throw some PvP in there, always seems quicker.

From the Eurogamer article:

That's really good to hear.

I'm hoping if they do any type of dynamic events stuff, that they use the stuff already in game and get players to hop around between planets they have been too already. So many open spaces in game that could be used for certain dynamic short term things, kinda like RIFT events.

I'm detecting huge Dunning-Kruger issues with the JK. The class is fine, both in PvE and PvP.

I see Sentinels tearing shit up all the time in pve and pvp, and Jugs consistently being game winning focus for many warzones. I find the class fine but lot of complaints for them *shrug*. Anyways all the whining is going to get them buffs it seems.... can't wait for the backlash when people start crying nerf after they get buffed and more people are leveled up and geared with em.

I think a large thing is that players are just not finding them as dynamic or "fun" to play as the other classes.

Wallach

Well, they nerfed Biochem and Cybertech instead of fixing the metagame problems surrounding it. Wonder what they'll allow their forum user base to dictate next.

Derrick01

Banned
Throw some PvP in there, always seems quicker.

Nah I don't pvp. I was joking around a little though I do seem to be running short on quests in Corellia about 35-40% through 49. I still have several dungeons to do around that level though, no one ever looks for anything other than black talon at the imperial fleet.

Emitan

Nah I don't pvp. I was joking around a little though I do seem to be running short on quests in Corellia about 35-40% through 49. I still have several dungeons to do around that level though, no one ever looks for anything other than black talon at the imperial fleet.

What role are you? I didn't like PvP as DPS but it's fun as a healer

Wallach

what? are there a new patch notes?

Not yet, but the official comment on it is already on the dev tracker. It's in German so you'll need to wait for the English forum post yet if you can't read it. PTR update for 1.1 is already up though and the changes were already mined. For Biochem's part it is both the cooldown and the function of the medpacs, I don't know if they fucked with the adrenals/stims.

Aedile

I'm detecting huge Dunning-Kruger issues with the JK. The class is fine, both in PvE and PvP.

What's the context? Every class and spec is good if you're a 50 in a lot of endgame pvp gear*, particularly if you're facing a lot of people who aren't.

*Or have a pocket healer.

Carm

So since beta, I've noticed the game stutters, no matter my in game fps, in the open world for me. It doesn't happen in most dungeons, I'm starting to wonder if it's their dynamic spawning npcs on client side in the open world that causes it. Different drivers haven't changed it, on my 460gtx. It very much reminds me of gamebryo stuttering, that, at least with bethesda games, can be fixed with a mod.

Test video I made, everything on high in preferences, except shadows off. Game doesn't drop below 50ish in video. Doesn't matter what settings I have the game on, stutter still happens like this.

Anyone else seeing what is shown here?

Character animation doesn't seem to be effected, except for twi'lek npc dancers, that I've noticed having either low framerate or stutter, possibly unrelated.

So since beta, I've noticed the game stutters, no matter my in game fps, in the open world for me. It doesn't happen in most dungeons, I'm starting to wonder if it's their dynamic spawning npcs on client side in the open world that causes it. Different drivers haven't changed it, on my 460gtx. It very much reminds me of gamebryo stuttering, that, at least with bethesda games, can be fixed with a mod.

Test video I made, everything on high in preferences, except shadows off. Game doesn't drop below 50ish in video. Doesn't matter what settings I have the game on, stutter still happens like this.

Anyone else seeing what is shown here?

Character animation doesn't seem to be effected, except for twi'lek npc dancers, that I've noticed having either low framerate or stutter, possibly unrelated.

Game stutters for me when my virus scanner is running in the background. Have you tried disabling?

Derrick01

Banned
What role are you? I didn't like PvP as DPS but it's fun as a healer

Assassin. I haven't even tried pvp yet in this game so I don't know how I match up, I'm just not a pvp guy. 4 years of WoW and I only messed around in a few AV games here and there and did arena once because the offhand sword was the only one I could get for raiding at that period (which did annoy me, bad design decision).

Carm

Game stutters for me when my virus scanner is running in the background. Have you tried disabling?

That's not it, I have anything like that set to manual to avoid situations like that. It's very strange, like I said, it's completely unrelated to my in game fps, I can be at 100 fps in some places and it still does it.

On top of that, with vsync/tb on I also have a weird rubberband effect while roaming around, vsync off either eliminates that or just hides it better. Still stutters though with vsync off.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Not yet, but the official comment on it is already on the dev tracker. It's in German so you'll need to wait for the English forum post yet if you can't read it. PTR update for 1.1 is already up though and the changes were already mined. For Biochem's part it is both the cooldown and the function of the medpacs, I don't know if they fucked with the adrenals/stims.

Changing bio is inevitable - it shouldn't be the case that it's nearly required for high-end play. And, yes, buffing the other professions is preferable to neutering bio. But what's easier - fixing 5 professions (or however many there are) or nerfing 1? We saw it with slicing, of course we'll see it with biochem. Oh well.

Wallach

Changing bio is inevitable - it shouldn't be the case that it's nearly required for high-end play. And, yes, buffing the other professions is preferable to neutering bio. But what's easier - fixing 5 professions (or however many there are) or nerfing 1? We saw it with slicing, of course we'll see it with biochem. Oh well.

It wasn't required for high-end play. That's the problem, that is a metagame issue that they caused with separate bugs and one serious design issue (Exotech vs Rakata placement). The actual Biochem vs non-Biochem item stat gains aren't even as good as Armormech's fucking BoP bracer and belt combinations.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm hoping if they do any type of dynamic events stuff, that they use the stuff already in game and get players to hop around between planets they have been too already. So many open spaces in game that could be used for certain dynamic short term things, kinda like RIFT events.

Totally agree. I've been saying that to my girlfriend as we play, they've designed so many great planets, you want to have reasons to go back to them on characters that have already completed those quests.

That might actually be a GOOD use of their instancing. Make it so that if you're over a certain level and go back to an early planet that there is stuff happening that low level players aren't seeing in their instance.

The class isn't fine. And posting damage meters in a fucking warzone isn't going to change that.

In what way are they not fine? So many whines about the class yet there is not a single trend or actual point to any of these complaints. Everyone has a different reason why they think they "suck". Take away damage meters and Jugs are monsters in pvp as well with how well they tank and shrug off damage which is essential for objective style warzone play. Not going to be on the top of the score board, but you are essential to your team victory.

Blitzzz

Here I am posing very menacingly on the light bridge of the Red Reaper.

Screenshot_2012-01-09_20_42_38_908496%20-%20Copy.jpg

this is a nice pic

If it's anything like the slicing nerf I'd jump ship now. They're probably going to give slicing a minor buff due to the ridiculous overnerf of 50%.

In what way are they not fine? So many whines about the class yet there is not a single trend or actual point to any of these complaints. Everyone has a different reason why they think they "suck". Take away damage meters and Jugs are monsters in pvp as well with how well they tank and shrug off damage which is essential for objective style warzone play. Not going to be on the top of the score board, but you are essential to your team victory.

Just go read the class forums for either faction mirror class if you think there isn't a trend of specific issues with the class. It's painfully apparent they're due in for at least a small buff to bring it up to par with other classes.

usea

If it's anything like the slicing nerf I'd jump ship now. They're probably going to give slicing a minor buff due to the ridiculous overnerf of 50%.
The post also says slicing is fine, wasn't overnerfed, and isn't getting any changes in the near future, but they will continue to monitor the situation. They also said it was always intended to be a more "casual" crew skill and not much of a money maker.

frequency

The post also says slicing is fine, wasn't overnerfed, and isn't getting any changes in the near future, but they will continue to monitor the situation. They also said it was always intended to be a more "casual" crew skill and not much of a money maker.

What does that even mean?
All the skill does is get credits. What's the purpose of it if not to make money? Casual crew skill means useless and there for people who just like pressing buttons for nothing?

Wallach

What does that even mean?
All the skill does is get credits. What's the purpose of it if not to make money? Casual crew skill means useless and there for people who just like pressing buttons for nothing?

Hey. You can totally use like two shortcuts in that one lowbie instance. That is a thing.

Just go read the class forums for either faction mirror class if you think there isn't a trend of specific issues with the class. It's painfully apparent they're due in for at least a small buff to bring it up to par with other classes.

I don't really see any trends, it seems people are complaining about each and every single aspect of the of class builds as being weak or poor, and just lots of ridiculous claims by some as usual with the official forums.

Slicing still makes a ton of money and for me makes more than most of the other professions, reason being that most people ignore the world nodes for slicing. During questing you make thousands in a short periods of time. I was doing 20k an hour just from slicing nodes while questing on Alderaan and Taris, which is dang good, and more than what I was making sending out 30min+ missions with my companions. The biggest problem with slicing is that it becomes useless once you hit 50 and are no longer actually questing on planets.

Slicing is great money maker while leveling up a character, but it has no end game purpose.

Emitan

The crew still that gives you credits wasn't supposed to be a moneymaker? I always assumed it was for people too lazy to craft so they'd be able to buy crafted gear.

Blitzzz

Slicing still makes me money. Those high level mission schematics net a lot of money on GTN now (I've sold a few UT ones for >20k)

Haven't got to end game so I don't know how awesome bio is supposed to be but I have it on my gunslinger cause I can't heal myself. As long as the biochem only reusable medpacks stay in I'll be happy.

Blitzzz

I don't really see any trends, it seems people are complaining about each and every single aspect of the of class builds as being weak or poor, and just lots of ridiculous claims by some as usual with the official forums.

I thought devs posted that JK/SW numbers were a bit lower than they expected. If that is true, then there is a problem.

Don't have a JK although I'm interested in rolling one now before the buff comes

The crew still that gives you credits wasn't supposed to be a moneymaker? I always assumed it was for people too lazy to craft so they'd be able to buy crafted gear.

Still makes money, you just sometimes gamble a bit on it. But with world nodes while leveling you bring in lot of free credits for 2-3 seconds to scan a box. And the missions and such that you get from the missions will generally give you a minimum of 1k reselling to just a vendor, you make a ton selling them on the auction house

I thought devs posted that JK/SW numbers were a bit lower than they expected. If that is true, then there is a problem.

Don't have a JK although I'm interested in rolling one now before the buff comes

Yea which is good for me since I play a SW main, but I never saw a major problem. Some slight tweaks are needed at best, but people are making it sound like it's an awful class. And even the posted buffs they are going to implement didn't agree with many of the whiners on the forum who want other changes, so again not everyone is on the same page or of same thinking of the issue here.

oktarb

I still make a ton of money from slicing and think it's the best money-making prof.

I have to agree. My slicing char has 150k in the bank at lvl 30. my Synthweaving and armortech alts at lvl 25 have about 40K.

The main problem I see is that people don't really buy equipment made from crafting skills in lvls 1-40 as they get equal or better equipment via questing, FPs and commendations.

zlatko

Banned
So few questions now that I'm on Coruscant and level 13:

Should I be focused on getting up my first companion a lot, or will later on there be better companions? I have T7-01 the little R2D2 dude and I'm a Sentinel.

What should I do to start crafting, gathering, etc? I already spoke to learn arch, under trading, and synth weaving, because someone told me those are the 3 you want to craft armors in the game. Where should I go now to get the ball rolling to start leveling each with my 1 companion?

When is a good time to spend your commendation medals? I didn't realize I couldn't use my first home planet ones anymore once I left, so I would like to avoid that in the future.

Is there a determined "best skill tree" yet for Sentinels? I'm currently investing in the middle one.

What's the average time needed for a flash point? I did Esseles or whatever for a 2nd time last night, and it honestly still felt like it took about 2 hours even with all 3 of us skipping the cut scenes.

Anyone else have some general advice for something a new player might not know yet and should be doing/getting ready for? Like I'm still confused on what I should be doing with older equipment aside from selling it to NPC vendors. Should I be detaching the items on gear first, and then selling the item bare?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out. :)

usea

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1584114#edit1584114

Biochem
-All Energized, Exotech, and Rakata adrenals and stims now require 400 Biochem for use.

-The Exotech Medpac is now named “Exotech Med Unit.” Its overall healing has been reduced and is now in line with similar level medpacs, and it temporarily increases the maximum health of its targets. Use of this item now requires 400 Biochem.

-The amount healed by Rakata Medpacs has been reduced. This item now additionally increases maximum health briefly. Use of this item now requires 400 Biochem.

Cybertech
-Wynz-Tek grenades now require 400 Cybertech for use.

-Wynz-Tek Grenades have had their damage reduced to bring them more in line with grenades of similar level.

-The Wynz-Tek Firestorm grenade’s damage has been reduced to bring it in line with grenades of similar level. It now deals damage every 3 seconds over 12 seconds.

Patryn

Should I be focused on getting up my first companion a lot, or will later on there be better companions? I have T7-01 the little R2D2 dude and I'm a Sentinel.

What should I do to start crafting, gathering, etc? I already spoke to learn arch, under trading, and synth weaving, because someone told me those are the 3 you want to craft armors in the game. Where should I go now to get the ball rolling to start leveling each with my 1 companion?

When is a good time to spend your commendation medals? I didn't realize I couldn't use my first home planet ones anymore once I left, so I would like to avoid that in the future.

Is there a determined "best skill tree" yet for Sentinels? I'm currently investing in the middle one.

What's the average time needed for a flash point? I did Esseles or whatever for a 2nd time last night, and it honestly still felt like it took about 2 hours even with all 3 of us skipping the cut scenes.

Anyone else have some general advice for something a new player might not know yet and should be doing/getting ready for? Like I'm still confused on what I should be doing with older equipment aside from selling it to NPC vendors. Should I be detaching the items on gear first, and then selling the item bare?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out. :)

1.)Don't know what you mean about "getting your companion up a lot." He gains levels with you. There also aren't individual skill levels that you build, rather you build them for your main character by sending people to do missions and gathering from the environment (but certain companions do have bonuses to certain skills).

Regardless, don't worry about sending people on missions until you have at least 2 companions.

2.)There are several theories. If you want to go crafting, pick Artifice, Biochem or Cybertech and choose the appropriate gathering skills to fit them. Do not get Synth, Armortech or Armstech (not worth it).

If you want money, pick two gathering skills and slicing, then sell the mats you get from gathering.

3.)The Fleet has commendation vendors for every single planet, so you can spend them there. A good time to spend them is when you get enough to purchase something you want. Generally, I only spend them on either orange equipment or mods.

4.)From what I've heard, Watchman is the best Sentinel skill tree.

5.)Esseles is a longer FP. Average is about 45 minutes to an hour, I'd say.

6.)Sell old equipment. The mods will generally be outdated by that point and not worth salvaging.

Wallach

Why is that a huge deal?

Because Rakata is better than Exotech and Biochemists learn Rakata from the fucking trainers. Exotech was the only way a non-Biochemist was going to get adrenals, stims and medpacs that were as close to as good as Rakata. No idea why they'd even leave Exotech in the game.

Edit - The only way that makes any sense is if they remove all Exotech schematics, add Rakata schematics and flip the Exotech and Rakata recipes on the trainers. But that is what they should have done from the start and they absolutely should not require Biochem to use for Exotech so that other players could actually get competitive consumables.

Blitzzz

there will be others. Not sure if better since I don't play JK. Just upgrade your companion with mission rewards you can't use or when you have excess cash.

send the companion on UT missions and just gather arch while you quest

you can use spend tython commendations on the fleet. there is a section for all planets commendations

probably depends on group. I did 2 mid 30 FPs in about an hour and a half yesterday. 2 hours seems long?

only extract mods if you want them on a new orange gear. otherwise it's a waste of credits since you can get better mods eventually with commendations and auction house.

Because Rakata is better than Exotech and Biochemists learn Rakata from the fucking trainers. Exotech was the only way a non-Biochemist was going to get adrenals, stims and medpacs that were as close to as good as Rakata. No idea why they'd even leave Exotech in the game.

Edit - The only way that makes any sense is if they remove all Exotech schematics, add Rakata schematics and flip the Exotech and Rakata recipes on the trainers. But that is what they should have done from the start and they absolutely should not require Biochem to use for Exotech so that other players could actually get competitive consumables.

But it says they reduced the amount of healing done by Rakata. How do you know it's still better? The other items could have had equal nerfs. And on top of that, Rakata and Exotech both now require 400 skill to use. I'm not really seeing how this is the end of the world.

Wallach

But it says they reduced the amount of healing done by Rakata. How do you know it's still better?

Because Rakata and Exotech cover entire item tiers, and they have set item levels. Exotech is 56 and Rakata is 58. Even if they flipped them so that Rakata and Exotech reversed their item tiers, it's something that doesn't impact the Biochemist at all.

That's the real point - this is a nerf to non-Biochemists because now instead of actually making Exotech consumables available to everyone, they've made both tiers exclusive to Biochemists. It doesn't matter which one is which because if you aren't a Biochemist you now can't get either of them.

Top Bottom