• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Because Rakata and Exotech cover entire item tiers, and they have set item levels. Exotech is 56 and Rakata is 58. Even if they flipped them so that Rakata and Exotech reversed their item tiers, it's something that doesn't impact the Biochemist at all.

That's the real point - this is a nerf to non-Biochemists because now instead of actually making Exotech consumables available to everyone, they've made both tiers exclusive to Biochemists. It doesn't matter which one is which because if you aren't a Biochemist you now can't get either of them.

Eh, maybe. OTOH, both items amount-healed has been reduced. You don't fix 800 things at a time and then hope it all works out. You change one thing at a time, and then see how the effects trickle down into the system. If they don't see the statistics start to distribute evenly towards the other crew skills, then they will just make another change somewhere else, maybe in 1.2, to make the other ones more compelling.

It sounds like you're asking for Biochem's to not have any unique compelling item that nobody else gets access to.

I'm fine with those Cybertech changes. Firestorm's damage is pretty ridiculous in PVP, and the others I use as more situational slows/stuns.

For a moment I thought they were going to take away my ability to make obscene amounts of money. GUESS NOT. *Iwata money gif*

Wallach

Eh, maybe. OTOH, both items amount-healed has been reduced. You don't fix 800 things at a time and then hope it all works out. You change one thing at a time, and then see how the effects trickle down into the system. If they don't see the statistics start to distribute evenly towards the other crew skills, then they will just make another change somewhere else, maybe in 1.2, to make the other ones more compelling.

It sounds like you're asking for Biochem's to not have any unique compelling item that nobody else gets access to.

Man, I am a Biochemist. I have been forever.

The point I'm trying to make to you is that the reason everyone thought my crew skill was too good was that I had reusable stims, adrenals and medpacs that were far better than the ones everyone else had access to, and theirs weren't even reusable.

The reason for that previously was that the ones that were competitive with my Rakata consumables were broken - I couldn't learn them, so I couldn't make any for non-Biochemists. That made everyone think there was a bigger discrepancy than their was supposed to be.

Now, those same consumables are also Biochem-exclusive. If you do not have Biochem, you have access to zero competitive stims and adrenals; maybe the medpacs are reasonably competitive after the nerf, at best. Even the level 51 consumables were made Biochem exclusive, so this discrepancy just got a lot worse.

Dina

The class isn't fine. And posting damage meters in a fucking warzone isn't going to change that.

So what's the problem with the class? Level curve is mildly harder, but not impossible apart from the final boss right at the end of the chain which needs a group. I did fine leveling solo and so did my Jedi Guardian friend.

Jedi Guardian tank are good single target tanks. They lack the AOE utility of a Vanguard, but make up for that when tanking bosses.

They do fine in PvP when being Sentinel or when Guardian specced for tank. In fact the more gear they get, the better they do. The damage they can put out is on par with every other proper dps spec there is.

And they're about to get buffs. So yeah, whine some more and maybe you'll get another buff. L2P or just get better gear before whining about Scoundrels or Commandos destroying you.

rockx4

So what's the problem with the class? Level curve is mildly harder, but not impossible apart from the final boss right at the end of the chain which needs a group. I did fine leveling solo and so did my Jedi Guardian friend.

Jedi Guardian tank are good single target tanks. They lack the AOE utility of a Vanguard, but make up for that when tanking bosses.

They do fine in PvP when being Sentinel or when Guardian specced for tank. In fact the more gear they get, the better they do. The damage they can put out is on par with every other proper dps spec there is.

And they're about to get buffs. So yeah, whine some more and maybe you'll get another buff. L2P or just get better gear before whining about Scoundrels or Commandos destroying you.

I don't know what you're trying to prove, bioware themselves admitted the class has problems. How does that make the class "fine".

Cystm

I still make a ton of money from slicing and think it's the best money-making prof.

How? I am on Illum and almost all credit boxes yield 1500 credits give or take. It complements leveling up well enough I guess, but at end game it feels like dead weight to me.

LowParry

How? I am on Illum and almost all credit boxes yield 1500 credits give or take. It complements leveling up well enough I guess, but at end game it feels like dead weight to me.

The 340 missions you get from slicing. Can go from anywhere from 50 - 150k per...

I don't really see any trends, it seems people are complaining about each and every single aspect of the of class builds as being weak or poor, and just lots of ridiculous claims by some as usual with the official forums.

Slicing still makes a ton of money and for me makes more than most of the other professions, reason being that most people ignore the world nodes for slicing. During questing you make thousands in a short periods of time. I was doing 20k an hour just from slicing nodes while questing on Alderaan and Taris, which is dang good, and more than what I was making sending out 30min+ missions with my companions. The biggest problem with slicing is that it becomes useless once you hit 50 and are no longer actually questing on planets.

Slicing is great money maker while leveling up a character, but it has no end game purpose.

You're not reading the well rated threads then. There are certainly a fair share of "bad" players who simply don't understand how to play the class but there are also plenty of threads in the Sentinel forums detailing, with some numbers, why the class is underpowered some. Posting a single screenshot of a sentinel leading in damage in a single warzone certainly isn't a valid method to prove an entire class is balanced.

Regarding slicing, the fact it has little use in end game IS the problem. Making an entire crew skill invalid after hitting 50 is just terrible design. Slicing missions make very little profit, and I should know since I hit 400 a long time ago and rarely run them. I have no idea how making it invalid as a money maker in the high levels is somehow okay and balanced.

Tacitus_

Boo. So I guess if I show up I'll have to stand outside and look in at you guys having all the fun. :(
I'll be like the unattractive person they won't let into the club.

There are a couple of huts you could try to hide in, but they also hide bg style buffs, so you could get company...

JerkShep

Ok I tried the game with the account of one of my friends and it run pretty decently on my computer, so at least that is not a problem. Very tempting. The story seems quite good considering recent Bioware games, dat imperial agent. Is it really playable as a "single player" experience? I'd like to enjoy the ride for the moment, watch the story, explore and such, and only later focus on big community things.

Ok I tried the game with the account of one of my friends and it run pretty decently on my computer, so at least that is not a problem. Very tempting. The story seems quite good considering recent Bioware games, dat imperial agent. Is it really playable as a "single player" experience? I'd like to enjoy the ride for the moment, watch the story, explore and such, and only later focus on big community things.

You can level to 50 entirely on your own. With the exception of the last quest in the JK storyline, all other class storylines are entirely soloable.

Dina

I don't know what you're trying to prove, bioware themselves admitted the class has problems. How does that make the class "fine".

It proves that you can overcome stuff even if the cards are stacked against you. It also proves that Bioware listens to avid complainers. I see numerous JKs/SWs doing fine in both PvP and PvE. I'm all for balance, but three weeks after the game come out seems odd and surprisingly knee-jerk. The buffs aren't that pronounced and only for one AC, but we'll see how it goes.

Then again, there's 'nerf' and 'buff' threads for just about any class on the official (dumpster) forums. I suppose that means balance.

Interfectum

It proves that you can overcome stuff even if the cards are stacked against you. It also proves that Bioware listens to avid complainers. I see numerous JKs/SWs doing fine in both PvP and PvE. I'm all for balance, but three weeks after the game come out seems odd and surprisingly knee-jerk. The buffs aren't that pronounced and only for one AC, but we'll see how it goes.

Then again, there's 'nerf' and 'buff' threads for just about any class on the official (dumpster) forums. I suppose that means balance.

It's really the worst part about MMOs... a playerbase that would rather whine about class balance instead of sucking it up and figuring out a way to make it work. So many arm chair game designers on MMO forums.

JKs were also the most incomplete class in beta. This game didn't just magically appear 3 weeks ago. Once again, it's not a matter of such blatant inbalance that JKs can't do well in WZs, there's legitimate concerns with the class that need to be addressed. I still can't believe you think your sampling of JKs in your own personal experience in WZs is supposed to justify the class is completely balanced.

I also don't know how you're gong to complain when the buffs are sensible and small (in the case of sentinel, not even explained though the dev did say any buffs would be small). You certainly don't see a notable outcry from the other classes about the incoming buffs.

No one reasonable is saying the class is broken, simply that it is indeed a little below the curve. Unless I'm mistaken it's the only class so far that BW has actually admitted needs some buffing.

Derrick01

Banned
Finished the Inquisitor storyline, big thanks to Bahamut from the gaf empire guild (gaf name wasn't listed) for helping me clear the last guy which was pretty ridiculous to do alone. I don't have endless force storm as an assassin!

It was a very satisfying "ending". I'm about 65% through 49 so I'm going to hit 50 and then level up the imperial agent which everyone says has an amazing story.

Moaradin

Finished the Inquisitor storyline, big thanks to Bahamut from the gaf empire guild (gaf name wasn't listed) for helping me clear the last guy which was pretty ridiculous to do alone. I don't have endless force storm as an assassin!

It was a very satisfying "ending". I'm about 65% through 49 so I'm going to hit 50 and then level up the imperial agent which everyone says has an amazing story.

Make sure you play Imperial Agent up til the end of Act 1 at least. If you aren't hooked already, that shit will hook you instantly.

zlatko

Banned
Thanks for the answers Patryn and Blitzz.

To answer one of your questions back at me Blittz if, "2hours is long," it isn't, but I have super limited time to play in the evenings. I just needed to know what the amount of time is, before I commit to one so I don't have to leave a group early, or be late on real life duties. Back in the day I would spent insane amounts of hours doing stuff in Final Fantasy XI with groups, so 2 hours is nothing in comparison, but it's still something I have to take into account so I'm not a shitty person who bails early. ;)

So Patryn you mentioned that my choices then in crafting(archaelogy, underworld trading, and synthweaving) are actually the incorrect choice to be able to craft armors? I would like to focus on medium armors for myself. Is there a way to unlearn what I have on my 1 companion or should I just wait till I get a second one to teach him the correct ones?

Patryn

To answer one of your questions back at me Blittz if, "2hours is long," it isn't, but I have super limited time to play in the evenings. I just needed to know what the amount of time is, before I commit to one so I don't have to leave a group early, or be late on real life duties. Back in the day I would spent insane amounts of hours doing stuff in Final Fantasy XI with groups, so 2 hours is nothing in comparison, but it's still something I have to take into account so I'm not a shitty person who bails early. ;)

So Patryn you mentioned that my choices then in crafting(archaelogy, underworld trading, and synthweaving) are actually the incorrect choice to be able to craft armors? I would like to focus on medium armors for myself. Is there a way to unlearn what I have on my 1 companion or should I just wait till I get a second one to teach him the correct ones?

They're not incorrect, it's just the results you'll get from Synth aren't necessarily worth it. Orange equipment with mods will almost always be better than anything you can craft with Synth, and I believe you can only make one type of mod with Synth, as opposed to things like Artifice and Cybertech.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So still nothing on the Jedi Knight Sentinel?

Meh, not a huge deal. I haven't touched the game since Monday. I still really like it; but I realized I was rushing through to hit 50 like so many... but that's not why I got the game. I've already added an addition two months to my account. I may as well take my time and enjoy the game like I would KOTOR 3. So, yeah... took a week long break as to not burn myself out.

But, I still have my lvl36 JK Sent main just on hold. I guess I'll start up a different character.

So, on the flipside, a question: What is universally regarded as the best class (and advanced class) on the Empire side? I want to feel powerful, unlike how I do with my JK ;p

zlatko

Banned
They're not incorrect, it's just the results you'll get from Synth aren't necessarily worth it. Orange equipment with mods will almost always be better than anything you can craft with Synth, and I believe you can only make one type of mod with Synth, as opposed to things like Artifice and Cybertech.

I imagine a lot of the better equipment currently in the game isn't from crafting right? Would there still be hope for Synthweaving after a few content updates?

Also, would you recommend Artifice or Cybertech more then in the games current state for a Sentinel who wants to specify in armor crafting? I'm fine with doing anything, as long as the end result will be good armor for myself, and things I can sell for a solid profit.

Moaradin

So, on the flipside, a question: What is universally regarded as the best class (and advanced class) on the Empire side? I want to feel powerful, unlike how I do with my JK ;p

Imperial Agent is considered to have the best story in the game, and Operative is very strong in PVP and PVE.

Patryn

I imagine a lot of the better equipment currently in the game isn't from crafting right? Would there still be hope for Synthweaving after a few content updates?

Also, would you recommend Artifice or Cybertech more then in the games current state for a Sentinel who wants to specify in armor crafting? I'm fine with doing anything, as long as the end result will be good armor for myself, and things I can sell for a solid profit.

Go Cybertech if you're more interested in armor, I'd say.

And it's possible that Synth may improve in the end. Just don't expect to get much out of it now. It's just my opinion that it's not worth the investment.

Podcast Roundup

Mos Eisley Radio 65 - http://moseisleyradio.com/2012/01/11/mer-episode-65-the-flashpoint/

The Instance TOR Edition 07 - http://theinstance.net/tor/?p=67

Darth Hater 108 - http://www.darthhater.com/articles/podcast/19871-darth-hater-episode-108-incoming-patch
The bitching is strong with this one.

Ossus Academy 01 - http://moseisleyradio.com/2012/01/09/ossus-academy-session-one//
They have an interview with John Jackson Miller, author of the new Star Wars comic book, Knights of the Old Republic – War. They say this will be a more lore focused podcast, so I think it could be cool.

Blitzzz

oh it was more of a question in general and not to you. 2 hours for that FP seems long to me but I can't remember if that one was an exception or not. Like Patryn said, most are ~45min with a good group.

Gear in this game works a bit differently... I feel that most people will level up with orange gear they like looking at and just keep socketing it with newer mods. I almost never buy gear from AH but I do pick up mods every few levels for the various orange pieces I have.

Darklord

Banned
Wtf is going on with the BH story. Act 2 spoilers.

I capture the first guy on Belsavis, get my new companion and head back to my ship. In the cutscene I gather my party but notice Torian is gone. Then all of a sudden I get a holo message saying if I ever want to see that boy again I have to go to Hoth. And everyone is like "They have Torian!" What??? When did this happen? How did he just vanish and end up captured on Hoth? It makes NO sense. Did I bug and miss a cutscene or something because it sure feels like it.

frequency

They could go the WoW route with crafting.
By adding incentives to do certain things. Like how mining gives you more health. And like, only enchanters can enchant rings and stuff like that.

So I don't know if it's really vital to drop everything and just pick up what's "optimal" for right now.

I capture the first guy on Belsavis, get my new companion and head back to my ship. In the cutscene I gather my party but notice Torian is gone. Then all of a sudden I get a holo message saying if I ever want to see that boy again I have to go to Hoth. And everyone is like "They have Torian!" What??? When did this happen? How did he just vanish and end up captured on Hoth? It makes NO sense. Did I bug and miss a cutscene or something because it sure feels like it.

It's not a bug. I just figured he got kidnapped during a Slicing mission I sent him on. /shrug

Patryn

By adding incentives to do certain things. Like how mining gives you more health. And like, only enchanters can enchant rings and stuff like that.

So I don't know if it's really vital to drop everything and just pick up what's "optimal" for right now.

I do think at some point they're going to have to buff Armstech, Armortech and Synthweaving. Because they're really not worth it compared to the other three.

IMO the actual crafting system is much more enjoyable than wow's. The problem right now is balance which is much easier to do than retooling the experience as much as your suggestion.

frequency

I do think at some point they're going to have to buff Armstech, Armortech and Synthweaving. Because they're really not worth it compared to the other three.

I think so too. And when they do, everyone is going to be like, rushing to level those. So it will be super competitive for gathering nodes and super expensive on the auction house when that happens.

I think you should just keep going with whatever you like. At least if you're more casual. Maybe it's way important to have Biochem or whatever at max level content, but I doubt it.

IMO the actual crafting system is much more enjoyable than wow's. The problem right now is balance which is much easier to do than retooling the experience as much as your suggestion.

I like being able to craft with my companions while I continue to do whatever I'm doing. And you can leave materials in the bank and stuff. Though the time it takes to craft is kind of way too long in my opinion.
I'm not saying they should make the crafting system like WoW in mechanics. I just mean it's a good idea to give incentives for people to do certain crafts to balance it out. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I gotta say one thing I love about this game. The instances are fun as fuck for some reason. Maybe I'm just loving everything cause it's star wars though who knows xD

gatti-man

Mako says he got a message from an old friend to meet him at a cantina. the message you view was left behind on the ship by your companion.

LowParry

The thing is, you're doing the missions on a zero profit basis and hoping for them to crit a 340 mission.

I can spend up to 20k in slicing missions and with just one mission coming back, I'm still making profit from it. Be it close to even, double or even triple my money back. I see it as a win all around. Until people start paying a whole lot less for the missions, slicing is still very good for money making.

CzarTim

Attention Gafers on Keller's Void:

Let's have a meet-up at the PVP area on Tatooine this Friday (the 13th) at 8PM EST.

That area is free-for-all, so it won't matter if more people show up from one side.

Here's where it is, for those who don't know:

Should be fun to hang out with everyone from both sides.

3 hours, guys!

Tacitus_

I can spend up to 20k in slicing missions and with just one mission coming back, I'm still making profit from it. Be it close to even, double or even triple my money back. I see it as a win all around. Until people start paying a whole lot less for the missions, slicing is still very good for money making.

I dropped slicing for diplomacy... after I proc a RE schematic, I'll be making 10-40k per mission.

Top Bottom