• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Varna

They really need to do something about for stuns, knocks and in general shit that ranged characters don't have to deal with. I'm starting to see people specifically only looking for range DPS characters. Seems like all DPS classes are pretty equal, so why do meele fighters have so many disadvantages?

Loving my powertech

iLPZF1jFfiACG.jpg

Tacitus_

They really need to do something about for stuns, knocks and in general shit that ranged characters don't have to deal with. I'm starting to see people specifically only looking for range DPS characters. Seems like all DPS classes are pretty equal, so why do meele fighters have so many disadvantages?

Stuns and knockbacks bothering you? Just wait till the bosses start having 360 degree cleaves, whirlwinds and other aoe that they either do just because HEY FUCK YOU or because it splashes off the tank.

Varna

Stuns and knockbacks bothering you? Just wait till the bosses start having 360 degree cleaves, whirlwinds and other aoe that they either do just because HEY FUCK YOU or because it splashes off the tank.

I've already ran into this fighting some world bosses and yeah... it's some BS. Especially getting KO'd while the ranged DPS don't even feel it.

Man... I'm not sure how I feel about what I just did. It's really lingering in my mind.

SW spoilers.

Finally got to the big climax of chapter 1. I do kind of feel like the game forced me into being a certain way. But I'm just going to accept that some people just can't ride the line.
Jaesa went dark side

usea

Anybody have any pvp tips for a healer (scoundrel)? Usually I just run around and try to keep people alive, but it's very hard if a person is getting focused. Generally if a person is being attacked by 2 or more people, it's unlikely I'll be able to keep them alive.

I usually have the most healing done after a match (or 2nd) but I don't know if that counts overhealing or not. I seriously don't have much strategy other than try to stick with my team and throw out heals. I would say my team loses probably 4 out of 5 times. Maybe more.

My 'rotation' is: keep up pugnacity, a 2-stack of my hot if possible, and alternate between underworld medicine and emergency medpack. I try to throw out a grenade or a stun every now and then to help allies, but I prefer to stay out of range so people are less likely to notice me.

edit: I'm level 43 and my gear is pretty good for my level, although it's heavy on cunning and light on endurance.

TheYanger

They have been doing bug fixes in every patch each week for the game. This is the same garbage nonsense that gets spews for games whenever what you want fixed doesn't get fixed, and *gasp* the nerve of them working on future content

Bug fixes yes, QoL fixes no. UI still garbage, lots of little bullshit things (groups dumping when queuing WZs, awful docking station garbage segments, AH functionally non-functional, etc).

don't worry, Empire side may have more and be more active, but it's like pulling teeth to get help from any of the 50s.

That's bullshit. I've had a LOT of people help me from Empire GAF. Hell, I was a fresh 18 and had like 25 people show up to help me and my girl maul the world boss on Dromund Kaas. Hell, my man Thursday has been a constant source of help. Same with Scion.

Twisted Sithster walked me and my girlfriend through tattooine to kill the world boss there while the entire guild waited patiently because we didn't have speeders. All that was on the same night that everybody helped us kill the world boss on dromund Kaas.

Empire Gaf is awesome. There's only one asshole in the whole guild. The rest are good people. Even Sandusky!

ROOTS MMO FTW.

Ferny

I think the problem is asking "Does anyone want to come?" rather than "Can anyone help with..."

Most people don't want to come but will to help lol

Hawk269

I think the problem is asking "Does anyone want to come?" rather than "Can anyone help with..."

Most people don't want to come but will to help lol

Yeah, I have had nights where I end up helping a person or two and I get nothing else done, but I also have the point of view is that the server I am on is home of my main and 2xalt's so if helping others out helps the overall server, then I am ok with it. Alot of times it is total strangers that I end up helping for a few hours. One guy thanked me and then an hour later asked for help again and I did.

to me that is how you build a community within the game, help each other out.

falastini

They said they have a whole team working on the UI and making it customizable.

Any recent reference to this? It seems like they haven't commented on the UI in a while. They've outlined the next two months, and nothing about the UI has been mentioned.

The UI and the combat lag are my two major gripes with the game, and neither looks like they will be changed anytime soon.

Hawk269

Having TOR be "just like WoW!" would be an improvement right now.

BioWare's post launch handling of bugs and quality of life issues have been terrible, with only plans to fix sometime.

BioWare seems more interested in recklessly pushing out new content rather than fixing and improving the game.

While I don't agree with this wholly, you do have some point in some of those. My concern is that we have a ton of issues as it is, with new content how many "new" issues will be introduced in those new flashpoints etc.?

There are bugs
There are graphical/performance issues (AA, Hi-Res Textures, FPS Issues etc.)
There are design issues (UI)
There is new content to be added

So they have 4 main categories of things to work on. If they focus on bugs/tech issues, then content suffers, if they do content does that pull resources away from working on the bugs, then there is the UI and performance issues to work on as well. They seem to be between a rock and a hard place in certain aspects of the game...which by now I think most agree the game came out too early and needed more baking.

While I appreciate some of the stuff they have fixed and reading the 1.1 notes is a good improvement (Anti-Aliasing Finally), I still think that some basic issues like UI, HiRes textures and some of the bugs that still are not going to be addressed by 1.1 should be more of a priority than a new flashpoint. But then again, all the people at the end game want mroe stuff to do so there is where the balance issue comes in.

Fucking EA is all I can say! I do beleive if it was soley up to BioWare they would of held off release of the game till Feb/March time frame.

Hawk269

Any recent reference to this? It seems like they haven't commented on the UI in a while. They've outlined the next two months, and nothing about the UI has been mentioned.

The UI and the combat lag are my two major gripes with the game, and neither looks like they will be changed anytime soon.

Not recently, but remember all we know about 1.2 is Flashpoint stuff. No work on bugs, UI, Textures, Performance mentioned as of yet and I dont think we will hear about those thinks until at least a week after 1.1 comes out. 1.2 is scheduled to come out before the end of Qtr 1 2012, so that can be all the way to the end of March that it could come out.

Won

Stephen Reid menitioned it in some random thread that they have a whole team working on UI stuff a month ago.
I have a hard time believing it though.

What is with companions refusing to attack what you tell them to or pausing to think about it before they do or something? It's like they can be taunted or have an aggro table of their own. I want them to attack what I tell them to attack.

Lain

I want to know why, when I send my companion to attack something, as a Sorc, he runs up to them, weapon in hand, then a second pass and then they aggro on him and he starts to whack them. Why the delay between him being in their face and actually hitting them and drawing aggro? It's bothering me.

Bioware should really add a Highscore with leaderboards in their space battles, btw.

Xiaoki

Looks like they won't be saying much shortly.

We will see.

January 17 patch 1.1

Kira Carsen - Fixed an issue that caused players to be unable to progress in Kira’s affection conversations.

December 27 patch 1.0.1

Kira Carsen - Fixed an issue that could cause Kira's affection progression to become blocked.

nataku

SW:TOR - AMD/ATI Increased Graphics Quality Tweak - This looks MUCH better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7RqU_Isw28

I wish he would show it in motion. It looks like things are sharpened a lot, which doesn't really look better IMO. Isn't this similar to the LOD tweak posted a couple pages back for nvidia cards? Someone here said that it introduces a ton of shimmering.

Look at the trees. Even just the slight swaying shows them shimmering a ton.

EDIT: Here. Bazza posted the nvidia tweak earlier in the thread.

So I'm on day 2 of serving a one week suspension. I deserve it, someone on general chat gets on bragging about how just made 6 million credits by selling stacked items to a vendor as 1, a bunch of people start doing it and out of curiosity I try it myself. Its in the same vein of why people know its bad to smoke yet they do, don't get stuff that needs to be done, etc. I knew it was wrong but I just couldn't stop myself, I did it for like 100k credits which is chump change by the time you hit 41 but I still deserve it, I broke the rules. I'm just kinda bummed, I was loving the game, and I miss it now. Friday cannot come soon enough.

Ken

So I'm on day 2 of serving a one week suspension. I deserve it, someone on general chat gets on bragging about how just made 6 million credits by selling stacked items to a vendor as 1, a bunch of people start doing it and out of curiosity I try it myself. Its in the same vein of why people know its bad to smoke yet they do, don't get stuff that needs to be done, etc. I knew it was wrong but I just couldn't stop myself, I did it for like 100k credits which is chump change by the time you hit 41 but I still deserve it, I broke the rules. I'm just kinda bummed, I was loving the game, and I miss it now. Friday cannot come soon enough.

Don't you keep the credits anyways? Should have just gone all the way and gotten a couple million.

Varna

Whats the default Anti-aliasing compatibility mode this game is using for Nvidia cards? I changed it awhile back to test some things but I can't remember what it was set to before. Resetting the profile is crashing nvidia inspector. :/

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
What professions are people coupling with slicing? I am starting an alt and want to get biochem and slicing but I was thinking of not getting diplomacy. Can I get those mats from AH?

Don't you keep the credits anyways? Should have just gone all the way and gotten a couple million.
Yeah, I imagine. The email I received was pretty detailed and there was no mention of anything taken away from me. Id gladly give the credits back.

Zafir

What professions are people coupling with slicing? I am starting an alt and want to get biochem and slicing but I was thinking of not getting diplomacy. Can I get those mats from AH?
You can, but they tend to be pretty pricey. Same with Bioanalysis stuff for that matter too. At least on my server anyway.

Varna

This game is running so bad on Alderaan. I can't believe what I'm seeing. Looking at rock formation straight out of a PS2 game and my frame-rate is at 40. What the fuck.

I'm at a loss at what to do. Foliage seems to be the main culprit. I tried running the game with a single card, varies types of SLI and AA compatibility and just nothing. I guess I'm stuck waiting for Nvidia drivers of BW patches that hopefully do something about this.

EDIT: I think it's a matter of taste, but for me -2.5 LOD bias makes the game look a lot better.

Zafir

Alderaan is horrible on my pc. From the terribly long loading screen, to the constant 1 second fps drops while it loads even more. I mean I get 40-60FPS on high for the rest of Alderaan, it's just loading in is horrific.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Why can't I see what guild people are in under /who?

So you can have a free camera that doesn't automatically adjust itself when you start moving forward? Nope. No way to turn it off.

I hate smart cameras. So annoying.

ughhh

Also, can you not zoom in and out in smaller increments?

Hawk269

I get decent fps in this game, but when I hit the alderaan pvp warzone its lag city, cant wait for performance fixes / increases.

I have not gotten that far in the game, but for me it is the fleet that kills my FPS. Sometimes even when the population on the fleet is low I still get horrid FPS...in most all other areas of thegame I get a solid 60fps with some occasional drops, but on the fleet I have gotten to as low as 10fps. Now this DID NOT HAPPEN prior to the last big patch. Ever since the last big patch I have had this FPS issues on the fleet.

Emitan

Wish we were on a PvP server because I found a Powertech questing and wanted to Tranq him a few times :(

I have not gotten that far in the game, but for me it is the fleet that kills my FPS. Sometimes even when the population on the fleet is low I still get horrid FPS...in most all other areas of thegame I get a solid 60fps with some occasional drops, but on the fleet I have gotten to as low as 10fps. Now this DID NOT HAPPEN prior to the last big patch. Ever since the last big patch I have had this FPS issues on the fleet.
I've always had FPS issues there but the last patch made them way worse.

I think I found where the Tatooine World Boss spawns. I was afraid to trigger it though.

Oh yea that place to, which is weird because I have a republic alt and when hes on republic fleet which is the same thing as Imp fleet with almost the same amount of people in it, it runs better.

Varna

Whats the default Anti-aliasing compatibility mode this game is using for Nvidia cards? I changed it awhile back to test some things but I can't remember what it was set to before. Resetting the profile is crashing nvidia inspector. :/

Anyone know? :(

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
You can, but they tend to be pretty pricey. Same with Bioanalysis stuff for that matter too. At least on my server anyway.

What is a good slicing match then? seems like all the other profs require the other 2 skills for the recipes.

zlatko

Banned
Really wanted to dump 5+ hours in tonight, but got semi stuck/dragged into watching football.

I think if I hit 50 fast enough, I'll do some range class. The armor that they get is seriously impressive looking stuff.

While I don't agree with this wholly, you do have some point in some of those. My concern is that we have a ton of issues as it is, with new content how many "new" issues will be introduced in those new flashpoints etc.?

There are bugs
There are graphical/performance issues (AA, Hi-Res Textures, FPS Issues etc.)
There are design issues (UI)
There is new content to be added

So they have 4 main categories of things to work on. If they focus on bugs/tech issues, then content suffers, if they do content does that pull resources away from working on the bugs, then there is the UI and performance issues to work on as well. They seem to be between a rock and a hard place in certain aspects of the game...which by now I think most agree the game came out too early and needed more baking.

While I appreciate some of the stuff they have fixed and reading the 1.1 notes is a good improvement (Anti-Aliasing Finally), I still think that some basic issues like UI, HiRes textures and some of the bugs that still are not going to be addressed by 1.1 should be more of a priority than a new flashpoint. But then again, all the people at the end game want mroe stuff to do so there is where the balance issue comes in.

Fucking EA is all I can say! I do beleive if it was soley up to BioWare they would of held off release of the game till Feb/March time frame.

The game is fine. The problem is people expect the game to be as polished and full of variety as awoW is even though WoW has been in development for like 10 years total. Sorry, that's just unreasonable.

They're doing a heroic job so far with a really smooth launch, and a good balance of bug fixes and content updates.

I know its cliche, but welcome to an MMO launch. Theyre doing really good so far. Really

gatti-man

I wish he would show it in motion. It looks like things are sharpened a lot, which doesn't really look better IMO. Isn't this similar to the LOD tweak posted a couple pages back for nvidia cards? Someone here said that it introduces a ton of shimmering.

Look at the trees. Even just the slight swaying shows them shimmering a ton.

EDIT: Here. Bazza posted the nvidia tweak earlier in the thread.

How exactly do you force LOD on nvidia?

Edit: ahhh i see from the pic posted above awesome.

markatisu

I did the LOD tweak using ATI Tray Tools, I really like the way things look now. Seemed to also stabilize FPS on the upper end (was getting between 50-80 but not its a sold 65

Top Bottom