• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yes thank you... even though there isn't a default one.

Yeah, I had fooled around with the settings but that's what shows up when you set it back to the default SWTOR profile. I didn't see much difference between setting 8X AA in the .ini.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Medium and High settings seem like they are the same thing besides grass quality?

Medium is apparently a "bug". There are only 2 texture settings, in the next patch it will be Low and High.

There ARE higher res textures but as of now you only see them in cutscenes. We're apparently going to get better textures for regular play at some point.

Sigfodr

I know I'm still lowbie, but I really like the appearance of my Sorc. The second is the guy who gives a quest on Dromund Kaas. I just thought the NPC was cool, so I grabbed a screen.

Also, what's up with the eyebrows sticking out of the hood. Eyesore.

CzarTim

This is what happens when two teams of healers go head-to-head in Voidstar. Neither team made it past the first room:

3obEI.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
Wow, for the first time my asshole-ish Bounty Hunter behavior made me feel bad

Was doing the quest on Balmorra where you
take out the rebel spy who was banging some admirals wife and then take the wife to an abandoned area to execute her. I went with the evil choice, despite it being obvious that she wasn't a traitor. Felt bad man.
lol

Sokantish

Medium is apparently a "bug". There are only 2 texture settings, in the next patch it will be Low and High.

There ARE higher res textures but as of now you only see them in cutscenes. We're apparently going to get better textures for regular play at some point.

I really can't believe they called it a bug... and then later said but yeah we're gonna add better textures in a later patch. Huh?

StudioTan

I really can't believe they called it a bug... and then later said but yeah we're gonna add better textures in a later patch. Huh?

They said having 3 options was a bug. Their definition of "bug" is a little broad in this respect since what they mean is they meant to remove the highest resolution textures before launch until they could get it working better because it was causing issues with some machines. So they bug wasn't that there was never 3 options but that the launch client wasn't intended to have all 3.

So likely what they mean is we'll be seeing the high res textures during sections that aren't cut scenes but it won't be a global thing where everything you see has the highest resolution textures at all time. Unless they can improve their engine somehow it looks like the solution will be some kind of compromise.

Any improvement is welcome but personally I still love the look of the game.

Yay Server forums coming next week! Glad they got it through their heads that server forums are a pretty big requirement.

It's good to see they're taking community feedback to heart. They certainly changed their mind on this pretty quick.

Sokantish

They said having 3 options was a bug. Their definition of "bug" is a little broad in this respect since what they mean is they meant to remove the highest resolution textures before launch until they could get it working better because it was causing issues with some machines. So they bug wasn't that there was never 3 options but that the launch client wasn't intended to have all 3.

So likely what they mean is we'll be seeing the high res textures during sections that aren't cut scenes but it won't be a global thing where everything you see has the highest resolution textures at all time. Unless they can improve their engine somehow it looks like the solution will be some kind of compromise.

Yeah but they way they said it made it sound like seeing high res textures at all was a bug and was never meant to be in game. Then after everyone reacted badly to that they said in the next big patch they're going to improve the graphics. It just seems so weird that they keep going back on their stances when they had to know in the first place people wouldn't like it. Same thing with the server forums.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Yeah but they way they said it made it sound like seeing high res textures at all was a bug and was never meant to be in game. Then after everyone reacted badly to that they said in the next big patch they're going to improve the graphics. It just seems so weird that they keep going back on their stances when they had to know in the first place people wouldn't like it. Same thing with the server forums.

Uh, they made it sound like not being able to see high resolution textures was the bug. No one thought they put high-res in the game on accident.

Varna

Here is one thing I haven't been able to figure out. Were the high res textures in the beta at any point? People keep saying they were... so why would they take them out?

Sokantish

Uh, they made it sound like not being able to see high resolution textures was the bug. No one thought they put high-res in the game on accident.
With what they are saying, taking out the medium choice and then leaving what is in right now as high seems to say that this is what they want for their high textures. Why remove medium then? They could just leave the current ones as medium and then when they put the high res ones in save that for high.

Here is one thing I haven't been able to figure out. Were the high res textures in the beta at any point? People keep saying they were... so why would they take them out?

I heard that a lot too, but the only screenshots someone posted were from cutscenes. People said they took them out of the last beta so it would decrease the size of client so they can get it out to as many testers as they can.

Emitan

Why not an option for high res graphics on your character and companion only? Do I have to design this game for them? Jeeze!

Varna

People said they took them out of the last beta so it would decrease the size of client so they can get it out to as many testers as they can.

The rep who has been running damage control on the whole high resolution texture thing said it was just something that happened as the client was optimized and such. Nothing to do with the textures. Makes sense since every set of armor as high res version in the cutscenes.

Changing the LOD Bias to -2.5 makes the game look so much better. At first I thought it was only a slight sharpness upgrade to distant textures.. but holy shit it looks really good (like a modern game even) when you enter the fleet. The floor looks so nice now. No FPS hit at all. Absolutely depressing how much they are crippling the look of their game.

Alex

Warzones need to be cross realm. No dungeon finder is fine, at least for a while, I appreciate what it allows for guilds and server communities and I want them to be careful when implementing one but for PvP it should really be x-realm ASAP.

I'm pretty sick of Huttball! In ALL of the matches I've done, since launch, I've gotten non-Hutball *once*. Huttball is fun but come on, man. We just don't have much Republic, I suppose, this is one in the long list of reasons I hate blacked off faction communication/grouping in MMOs.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Changing the LOD Bias to -2.5 makes the game look so much better. At first I thought it was only a slight sharpness upgrade to distant textures.. but holy shit it looks really good (like a modern game even) when you enter the fleet. The floor looks so nice now. No FPS hit at all. Absolutely depressing how much they are crippling the look of their game.

Wait what? How do you change that? Is it an nvidia ati setting?

Zafir

Not having high resolution textures is the least of my issues with the game. The bugs I want fixing are the following:

- Rubbish FPS on the fleet and warzones
- Defensive animations interrupting your skills/resetting GCD
- Ability delay
- Animation glitch which stun-locks you and makes you unable to move for the duration of the animation, sometimes the animation doesn't end, meaning you're stun-locked until death.

Hell, there's even more than that, but I'm only mentioning the big issues which I can think of at the moment. I can stand lower quality graphics, I can't stand stuff making the game frustrating or unplayable.

Sokantish

Warzones need to be cross realm. No dungeon finder is fine, at least for a while, I appreciate what it allows for guilds and server communities and I want them to be careful when implementing one but for PvP it should really be x-realm ASAP.

I'm pretty sick of Huttball! In ALL of the matches I've done, since launch, I've gotten non-Hutball *once*. Huttball is fun but come on, man. We just don't have much Republic, I suppose, this is one in the long list of reasons I hate blacked off faction communication/grouping in MMOs.

I feel for you but back before WoW got cross realm BGs I was begging for them wanting them so badly... and then after they added them I was wishing they'd take them back out. It takes a lot of fun out of it if you keep fighting strangers, I like recognizing the people all the time. Maybe they should just make it so all the warzones can be both factions vs each other, who cares if it makes sense... it's a PVP warzone.

Alex

I loved the same server stuff in classic WoW, I was in the top Alliance guild on our server and we had a big rivalry with the top Horde guild so when we'd get into a game with them it'd get SO heated and bitchy back then (forum arguements, cheating shit like Mind Control + BoP Flag Carrier, etc)

But in the end the queues were half an hour long back then, that just wasn't worth it.

In SWTOR I only wait 1-2 minutes, but it's alllwayysss fucking Huttball. If there were no factions it'd be no issue. =/ So unless they want to dissolve them they are going to have to go X-realm, especially as brackets come in and the game ages.

Varna

Wait what? How do you change that? Is it an nvidia ati setting?

Use Nvidia Inspector or Radeon equivalent. There is an LOD bias setting.

On closer inspection it is causing a noticeable frame-rate hit. It does look nice, but not worth it for now.

nataku

Any good screens of before/after? I saw that one on the fleet posted a few pages back, but haven't seen any others.

I can't do -2.5 LOD, the shimmering is vomit worthy. But it does show that Bioware is pretty much gimping the game for those with the rigs to run true "high settings"

Mastamind

You get huttball because you chose to join the empire. And on most if not all servers the empire outnumbers the republic. You can only be matched for voidstar and aldaraan when there are enough republic players to get a game going, the excess empire players get huttball.

So they only change crossrealm will have is that the empire players you fight in huttball will no longer be people from your server.

Note: On the republic side i get huttball once every 20 or so games....

Alex

You get huttball because you chose to join the empire. And on most if not all servers the empire outnumbers the republic. You can only be matched for voidstar and aldaraan when there are enough republic players to get a game going, the excess empire players get huttball.

So they only change crossrealm will have is that the empire players you fight in huttball will no longer be people from your server.

Note: On the republic side i get huttball once every 20 or so games....

1.) Yeah, I know, I said that. :p

2.) It opens a larger pool for matchmaking, even if the overall player skew is the same it'll have benefits as we've seen in other MMOs in the past. They also need to let you queue for specific Warzones, why they don't already is silly.

All the current ones should allow same side -- call it war games or whatever.

Yup, they should also let you group together and run the whole gamut of the game if you want. Fantasy nationalism is fun until it screws with the gameplay and it does so fiercely in this type of MMO. There are better ways to handle aux systems with it, be it Light-side/Dark-side alignment, Burning Crusade style Aldor/Scryer factions, etc. Being walled into what are fairly small servers in these games nowadays then being walled a second time into a faction that you don't know how healthy or ill it is is frustrating.

Would be nice maybe if they displayed a second population flag for the factions density rather than just the server, maybe?

I always felt bad for the newbies in WoW back in the day who were tricked on "NEW PLAYER!" flagged servers, which was really just code for "complete fucking ghost town with no possibility of grouping or raiding and an empty auction house" (Or just half-pop servers with 10,000 Horde and 3 Alliance.) . If SWTOR ever gets full mods maybe we will see a site for it like Warcraft Realms.

But OH WELL, hopefully there are indeed some tweaks and some new neutral Warzones. For now, I'll shut up and enjoy my Huttball. I like empire voice work, stories and aesthetics too much to swap. Tradin' in my Agent for a Smuggler just ain't gonna happen.

KaYotiX

Banned

tonight on The Fatman server it was mostly Voidstar and Alderan. :) Nice change of pace

Started an alt(IA) a couple days ago and got my ship today, I think the agent has the best looking ship of the ones I've seen(SW, JK, BH). really like the look of it outside as well as inside.

7k5s4.jpg

UhDB6.jpg

IgxYS.jpg

Which is a more useful class overall: Sentinels or Shadows?

Atm... Shadows. Sentinels/Marauders are kinda broken/weak right now.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Which is a more useful class overall: Sentinels or Shadows?

Depends on you're definition of "useful." Sentinels have a crap ton of party buffs that bring a lot to flashpoints/ops/pvp. They also have a crap ton of utility (vanish, mortal strike, 3 defensive CDs, aoe fear, slow, etc...).

Also, decide what you want to play based on you're style; in a game like SWTOR classes are going to change every couple of months (by the time you hit 50, the endgame class balance will probably be different than it is now). Shadow is basically a rogue shaman that has stealth, a backstab, and multiple ranged abilities. Shadows can tank or dps.

Marauders are basically rogue warriors with rogue-esque utility (and a vanish), but more of a warrior playstyle (smash crap, in you're face, charge class); so they lean towards the warrior side of the spectrum. They are all dps (a spec on bleeds, a spec on single target burst, and a spec on aoe burst/mobility).

I'd say at the moment Shadow is an easier class to play if that affects your choice; marauder is a bit more complex, but also very rewarding.

I get why the bounty hunter ship is janky but this makes me jealous.

I just wished we got to actually decorate our ships. I noticed today I have some guy frozen in carbonite in the corner that wasn't there before and not clue when or how he got there.

Also, I'm pretty sure theres a computer console that wasn't there before, but I could be wrong.

I'd kill a hundred jawas to get a jukebox on my ship.

Cystm

Ilum world PvP.

yJaQJ.jpg

Guildie posted a video here

Fun, but it was a total AoE cluster fuck that caused my framerate to drop to unplayable levels at times.

LowParry

Is it wrong of me to be thinking about making my 2nd alt already? My main being an Assassin Tank, PvP alt a Sniper, and now I'm thinking of making a dps Juggernaut. If not that, a healing Bounty Hunter. Meh. :/

Cystm

Is it wrong of me to be thinking about making my 2nd alt already? My main being an Assassin Tank, PvP alt a Sniper, and now I'm thinking of making a dps Juggernaut. If not that, a healing Bounty Hunter. Meh. :/

I started leveling an IA with a friend, and I am really having a hard time keeping myself from switching over to the IA anytime I play.

That Alt-itus can get you good.

LowParry

I started leveling an IA with a friend, and I am really having a hard time keeping myself from switching over to the IA anytime I play.

That Alt-itus can get you good.

It's certainly got me good. I'm to the point where my Sniper does what she needs to do for PvP. Watching Juggernaut in melee looks so damn cool though. Ah well. I'm sure by the time I figure out what I'm doing, I'll be working on my third alt.

TheYanger

The issue is, even moreso than wow ever was, the factions are universally unbalanced. You'd STILL just be playing huttball.

Nothing can be worse than the trooper one.

I love the trooper ship. The exterior is ugly as shit, but compared to my IA, SW, and JG, it's so utilitarian and compact. It's the only ship I've used that I could legitimately be in and out of within 20 seconds or so. You can choose a planet from the map and be out the door before the hyperspace animation is even finished (causing the 'landing' animation to look all fucked up).

Top Bottom