• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i just finished the IA story. Great ending. Spoilers for what i chose
xxxxxxxxx i faked out the Dark Council and gave them a false Black Codex (Lokin really liked that one). At the Tenebrous i basically severed my ties to the Empire, erased all traces of my existence across the galaxy, and im a free agent now. Basically i did what Michael Weston could never do lol

i eagerly await whatever comes next. In the meantime ill play another class.. i might very well level another IA.. this time a Sniper.. and choose things differently. Also having the fat body makes some cutscenes hilarious. Tumbling, jumping, kissing.. all are ridiculous with Body Type 4 lol

Might be because it's Sith empire. And atleast in kotor they used Sith for every member of Malak's followers.

Fair enough, it just seems anytime they are brought up in Republic quests, they just say the Empire.

So then in PvP, some people say Empire, and some say Sith.

Sigfodr

I started leveling an IA with a friend, and I am really having a hard time keeping myself from switching over to the IA anytime I play.

That Alt-itus can get you good.

IA is the class I know will keep me from playing any other class, so I'm holding off for a little while.

Why do so many people on the Republic side, call everyone in the Empire 'sith'. Its really weird.

There is a distinction between this game and the original trilogy in that this is distinctly named the Sith Empire. It's an Empire built to support the users of the dark side of the force. In the movies, the Emperor and his apprentice were the only force users, so to name his empire after the Sith would be dumb. However, I do wonder, are you referring to PCs or NPCs?

IA is the class I know will keep me from playing any other class, so I'm holding off for a little while.

There is a distinction between this game and the original trilogy in that this is distinctly named the Sith Empire. It's an Empire built to support the users of the dark side of the force. In the movies, the Emperor and his apprentice were the only force users, so to name his empire after the Sith would be dumb. However, I do wonder, are you referring to PCs or NPCs?

People in /general mostly. Like I said, every Trooper quest Ive done so far, im pretty sure they only say Empire, not Sith Empire. If there is a reason for people saying it its fine, but to me it just seems like ignorance, haha. Turns out I may be the ignorant one! :p

Choc

Banned
You mean it's been a month and they haven't yet addressed every bug in the game? The nerve. Lazy bastages.

quest mentioned is final quest of act 1 for BH and has major fucking issues. So much so there is one issue where you either wait for a GM to unstuck you, or emergency to the fleet and lose all progress

basically if you choose to go to medcentre the whole mission, you get put in a room that you cant open the door

knownig this when i went through the mission meant i endured the longer waits for the med probes, but i avoided the problem

its a game breaking problem. i'd say it needs fixing, fast

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
do you mean
the nar shadaa bit with crazy brain washing and cipher going insane in the ship or post that?
Well not that specifically but in general yea. What started off as
a double-agent mission to infiltrate the Republic turns into where you are helpless. i love the first conversation with Keeper where you try to tell her whats going on.

All the way to the end of the IA story there are all sorts of curveballs thrown at you. The weakest part was Voss but i still enjoyed it. The business of
The Shining Man
wasnt as exciting as the other parts of the IA stories but the stuff you had to do to uncover things was still very interesting. i think it played well with the planet story.

Dunlop

Hit 50, now the game is extemely WOW like

HM Dungeons
Dailies

Which I could live but the damn staging areas planet-->spaceport-->ship airlock-->choose new planet-->ship airlock-->spaceport-->planet and the endless load screens in between is starting to wear me down

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Hit 50, now the game is extemely WOW like

HM Dungeons
Dailies

Which I could live but the damn staging areas planet-->spaceport-->ship airlock-->choose new planet-->ship airlock-->spaceport-->planet and the endless load screens in between is starting to wear me down
i only get loading screens exiting and entering my ship.

Ken

Depends on you're definition of "useful." Sentinels have a crap ton of party buffs that bring a lot to flashpoints/ops/pvp. They also have a crap ton of utility (vanish, mortal strike, 3 defensive CDs, aoe fear, slow, etc...).

Also, decide what you want to play based on you're style; in a game like SWTOR classes are going to change every couple of months (by the time you hit 50, the endgame class balance will probably be different than it is now). Shadow is basically a rogue shaman that has stealth, a backstab, and multiple ranged abilities. Shadows can tank or dps.

Marauders are basically rogue warriors with rogue-esque utility (and a vanish), but more of a warrior playstyle (smash crap, in you're face, charge class); so they lean towards the warrior side of the spectrum. They are all dps (a spec on bleeds, a spec on single target burst, and a spec on aoe burst/mobility).

I'd say at the moment Shadow is an easier class to play if that affects your choice; marauder is a bit more complex, but also very rewarding.
Well, I got my trooper to 50 so now I want to try a melee class. Since it seems a few people in the guild are already rolling Sage alts, I wanted to try rolling something else the Republic might need for group stuff.

Where is the Ilum PvP area?

bill0527

i only get loading screens exiting and entering my ship.

Yeah do that when you are planet hopping and it gets very annoying very fast.

The worst is when you have to hop from planet to planet for only 1 quest line.

I just got to the part in my companion quest where I go to 1 planet, hack a mainframe, travel to another planet and kill 2 people, travel to a remote ship and kill one other person. And 2 of the planets had those orbital air stations that you have to go through first and take another shuttle to the planet.

It's a blatant, brutal, annoying, and unnecessary time sink. I've never seen so many loading screens, screen switch pauses, and long elevators, in any MMO I've played. The sad thing is that it's one of those things that gets worse the higher level you get. That makes it pretty obvious that it's a travel time sink to try and slow you down.

Dina

TBH Endure pain is the wrong one to buff for PvP. It is a PvE skill when you have a healer. PvP buffs for tanks need to come soon. Maybe make sure all that f*cking mitigation actually works?????

I'd like this. It's not about balance, but making sure the mechanics actually work. It's disheartening to find out almost all my secondary stats on my pvp set are worth jack shit.

Yeah do that when you are planet hopping and it gets very annoying very fast.

The worst is when you have to hop from planet to planet for only 1 quest line.

I just got to the part in my companion quest where I go to 1 planet, hack a mainframe, travel to another planet and kill 2 people, travel to a remote ship and kill one other person. And 2 of the planets had those orbital air stations that you have to go through first and take another shuttle to the planet.

It's a blatant, brutal, annoying, and unnecessary time sink. I've never seen so many loading screens, screen switch pauses, and long elevators, in any MMO I've played. The sad thing is that it's one of those things that gets worse the higher level you get. That makes it pretty obvious that it's a travel time sink to try and slow you down.

Of course it's not to try and slow you down. It's just a technical issue, maybe they will be reduced / removed in a future patch

Tacitus_

quest mentioned is final quest of act 1 for BH and has major fucking issues. So much so there is one issue where you either wait for a GM to unstuck you, or emergency to the fleet and lose all progress

basically if you choose to go to medcentre the whole mission, you get put in a room that you cant open the door

knownig this when i went through the mission meant i endured the longer waits for the med probes, but i avoided the problem

its a game breaking problem. i'd say it needs fixing, fast

Just did it on my alt, didn't bug out for me *shrug*
Although in the final fight, the padawan bugged out on me and kept healing the jedi even though she was beaten and non attackable. Got me killed on the first try.. second try I just kited the jedi away.

isny

napkin dispenser
Good god the grind to 60 valor rank is depressing.

I got to early 40's before getting almost full Columi and just saying screw it. Way too much work.

can anyone explain how the "Battle for Ilum" quests work? I keep capturing points but it doesnt do anything :/

They aren't real quests, they just take up room in your quest log and do nothing.

The real quest is the daily you get from the fleet to capture objectives five times. (or more for the weekly)

All of that changes on Tuesday however.

I got to early 40's before getting almost full Columi and just saying screw it. Way too much work.

They aren't real quests, they just take up room in your quest log and do nothing.

The real quest is the daily you get from the fleet to capture objectives five times. (or more for the weekly)

O ok thanks, I was able to do the weekly and daily so I guess I'm done for the day

More people should choose the light side options in one of the final conversations with a rival in the IA story (Being purposefully vague). Despite it screwing up my dark side points (sup 9900 dark side), it was totally worth it.

Ok fine, here's what happened (MAJOR SPOILER FOR IA STORY!):

So that evil Hunter guy? Actually a girl, and actually in love with you. I thought it was a neat scene that made the little Tatooine diversion with The Old Man a lot more relevant.

Holy fuck, whats the deal with the companion gift called 'Underworld Good', I need to get a bunch so I can max out Tanno Vik, but after probably 50 underworld trading missions today, I dont think I got even 1 of them!

The rest of my team is maxed out, but Vik is still around 6800/10000, I need a lot of them. No one is selling them on the GTN either!

Aside from that, Im really enjoying being an Armourmech on my Trooper, though I did just make everyone on my squad (except 4X of course) a full set of gear at 47, since thats when I got the legs I think of the white/blue (or white/yellow) set. We looks really awesome, all matching and stuff.

....then 49 came, haha. So I made everyone in my squad this new Black/yellow set (its kind of a dark blue, rather than a black I guess), which looks awesome, even though I usually prefer the white sets.

Im not looking forward to Armourmech becoming kinda useless at 50 though....

Not liking the fact they are going to make it harder for people, too many have all champion gear and stuff already so everyone else is going to be at a disadvantage (plus my luck has sucked with these bags so far, only 1 item out of like 10)

Wallach

Im not looking forward to Armourmech becoming kinda useless at 50 though....

You can make best-in-slot bracers and belts at 50 with Armormech, at least. I'm guessing 1.2 will contain some crafting changes so I wouldn't be in a hurry to let it go before then.

As for me, I don't think I'm going to subscribe. I'll probably check back in on the game every month or two and maybe buy a month of time to get a class story done, but this is one game where the level cap content is kind of unappealing compared to the leveling content. Will definitely at least come back at some point to do the IA story.

Trouble

Banned
Good god the grind to 60 valor rank is depressing.

Pretty sure I can hit 60 valor before getting my light armor companion fully decked in Champion gear and everyone else in Centurion gear. I'm trying not to think of it as grinding valor, but equipping my crew.

Not liking the fact they are going to make it harder for people, too many have all champion gear and stuff already so everyone else is going to be at a disadvantage (plus my luck has sucked with these bags so far, only 1 item out of like 10)
There's been a lot of theorizing that that is the actual drop rate.

isny

napkin dispenser
Holy fuck, whats the deal with the companion gift called 'Underworld Good', I need to get a bunch so I can max out Tanno Vik, but after probably 50 underworld trading missions today, I dont think I got even 1 of them!

The rest of my team is maxed out, but Vik is still around 6800/10000, I need a lot of them. No one is selling them on the GTN either!

Does Underworld Trading even give companions gifts? I thought it was only Diplomacy and Treasure Hunting that yielded them.

In any case, companions like more than one gift, usually 4-5 different types can be given to your companion. Just do a quick google and you'll find lists of which companions like which gifts.

Zafir

I can see the Ilum daily/weekly being a pain after Tuesday. I know on my server there is far more Empire players than Republic meaning it's going to be hard to find any to kill. Especially considering they'll probably not want to bother coming as they'll be outnumbered.

I can see the Ilum daily/weekly being a pain after Tuesday. I know on my server there is far more Empire players than Republic meaning it's going to be hard to find any to kill. Especially considering they'll probably not want to bother coming as they'll be outnumbered.

I know this is a solution that isn't the best, but it will work. Make a republic toon get to level 10 and ask anyone if they would like to trade kills. It's probably the easiest way to get it done.

The Ilum battleground as a whole is just pretty bad.

bill0527

Underworld trading has awesome companion gifts. In fact, all my companion gifts have come from Underworld Trading. First, the obvious: Make sure you are running Underworld Missions that give companion gifts as rewards. Second, check out this page to make sure you are giving the right gifts to the right companions. The links on the right will tell you what each companions likes, loves, doesn't care about, etc. http://www.swtor-spy.com/companions/

The companion gifts are completely random as to what type you get. You may have gotten a long string of reward gifts that the companion you are trying to increase doesn't really give a shit about.

You can make best-in-slot bracers and belts at 50 with Armormech, at least. I'm guessing 1.2 will contain some crafting changes so I wouldn't be in a hurry to let it go before then.

As for me, I don't think I'm going to subscribe. I'll probably check back in on the game every month or two and maybe buy a month of time to get a class story done, but this is one game where the level cap content is kind of unappealing compared to the leveling content. Will definitely at least come back at some point to do the IA story.

Yeah, I dont plan on dropping it. I need it to make sure I can make any and all modable armour! I love me some orange loot. I bought the second bay in my vault just for Orange stuff, heh. Are the best in slot stuff the Rakata items?

Does Underworld Trading even give companions gifts? I thought it was only Diplomacy and Treasure Hunting that yielded them.

In any case, companions like more than one gift, usually 4-5 different types can be given to your companion. Just do a quick google and you'll find lists of which companions like which gifts.

Underworld Trading definitely gives companion gifts. I know what Tanno likes, but the problem is, im barely getting his second or third choices either. Weapons are second, but the few I got tonight I used with Aric, so I could max him out. And stuff like Tech, Military Gear give very little anyway. The ones I got earlier in the night were given to Aric and 4X, since its higher on their scales.

Even still though, I got a million more Trophy, courting and luxury. Perhaps each crew skill that can get companion gifts, has certain ones weighed more highly. I just wish people were at least selling the ones I need on the GTN, it would sure help!

Underworld trading has awesome companion gifts. In fact, all my companion gifts have come from Underworld Trading. First, the obvious: Make sure you are running Underworld Missions that give companion gifts as rewards. Second, check out this page to make sure you are giving the right gifts to the right companions. The links on the right will tell you what each companions likes, loves, doesn't care about, etc. http://www.swtor-spy.com/companions/

The companion gifts are completely random as to what type you get. You may have gotten a long string of reward gifts that the companion you are trying to increase doesn't really give a shit about.

Thats a nice site, ive just been using http://www.republictrooper.com/ which is awesome, but not much use for my alts, haha.

I dont like the wording on that site though, how can the thing he 'loves' be higher than his favorite thing? I love a lot of stuff, but if something is my favorite, its my GD FAVORITE.

If it is really random, I had the worst luck over the course of 4-5 hours, running pretty much nothing but companion gift missions with 4 or 5 crew members at a time, haha.

isny

napkin dispenser
I know this is a solution that isn't the best, but it will work. Make a republic toon get to level 10 and ask anyone if they would like to trade kills. It's probably the easiest way to get it done.

The Ilum battleground as a whole is just pretty bad.

The kills are going to have diminishing returns to avoid this.

However, you will be able to gather armaments OR farm HK's to complete the daily and weekly quests.

I get a fuckton of companion gifts from Underworld Trading.

Emitan

Dancing with some random Imps I found underground on Tat

Thanks for the grouping, guys! I'm a high enough level to finish Tat now.

frequency

I'm sure no one cares... but I figured I'd post just in case.

I've been having issues with SWTOR. It was freezing my system when I exit. This never happened on any other game before. But after it started with SWTOR, my computer would randomly blue screen out of nowhere.
I think SWTOR just exposed an already existent flaw with my hardware that I just luckily didn't encounter before. (I'm not blaming SWTOR)
Luckily, I'm dating a computer science person. So I had them look at it today. They told me that my motherboard has a lot of memory compatibility problems. Especially with my brand of RAM.

The person installed some program to look at blue screens or something and said all of the blue screens I've had since I got this computer are memory related.
They played around a bit with some voltage in some other blue/grey screen I have no idea how they got to and said that might fix it. But it might take more tweaking to stabilize everything. And if nothing fixes it, I should replace my motherboard with a better one.
That's not a huge deal because motherboards can be had for under $100 I was told. Though I would need to get help to do all that stuff.

So yeah... I think a couple people in this thread they also had some problems with their computer freezing when they quit. You might want to look at that.

The model numbers I wrote down were
F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
M4A79XTD EVO

I don't know what any of them mean, but maybe some more technical minded people might have use of it.

I just figured I would follow through because when I was Google-ing my problems, I found some threads where the person asking would just disappear with no indication of if/how they dealt with their problem.

But on a SWTOR note, I think I'm going to give Empire another chance when I play again. Everyone everywhere keeps raving about the IA. I guess I'll just suck it up and skip the quests that make me uncomfortable.
I was wondering though, if I run FPs, do most Empire choose the Dark Side option? Will people be mad at me if I choose Light Side and win the decision roll?

I'm sure no one cares... but I figured I'd post just in case.

I've been having issues with SWTOR. It was freezing my system when I exit. This never happened on any other game before. But after it started with SWTOR, my computer would randomly blue screen out of nowhere.
I think SWTOR just exposed an already existent flaw with my hardware that I just luckily didn't encounter before. (I'm not blaming SWTOR)
Luckily, I'm dating a computer science person. So I had them look at it today. They told me that my motherboard has a lot of memory compatibility problems. Especially with my brand of RAM.

The person installed some program to look at blue screens or something and said all of the blue screens I've had since I got this computer are memory related.
They played around a bit with some voltage in some other blue/grey screen I have no idea how they got to and said that might fix it. But it might take more tweaking to stabilize everything. And if nothing fixes it, I should replace my motherboard with a better one.
That's not a huge deal because motherboards can be had for under $100 I was told. Though I would need to get help to do all that stuff.

So yeah... I think a couple people in this thread they also had some problems with their computer freezing when they quit. You might want to look at that.

The model numbers I wrote down were
F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
M4A79XTD EVO

I don't know what any of them mean, but maybe some more technical minded people might have use of it.

I just figured I would follow through because when I was Google-ing my problems, I found some threads where the person asking would just disappear with no indication of if/how they dealt with their problem.

But on a SWTOR note, I think I'm going to give Empire another chance when I play again. Everyone everywhere keeps raving about the IA. I guess I'll just suck it up and skip the quests that make me uncomfortable.
I was wondering though, if I run FPs, do most Empire choose the Dark Side option? Will people be mad at me if I choose Light Side and win the decision roll?

Light side / dark side options in group choices only apply to you, not other members

Good luck with the new hardware.

The kills are going to have diminishing returns to avoid this.

However, you will be able to gather armaments OR farm HK's to complete the daily and weekly quests.

Sorry for being dense but what are armaments or HK's? Any pictures or are they being added with the patch on tuesday?

At the moment we go round blowing up walkers/ the 2 base defence cannons to complete the daily and weekly.

Top Bottom