• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Milly79

Fuck, really don't know what I'm going to do since I just hit 50. I doubt I can PVP on my computer. Really hope we get some raids going on. Not sure how many there are available yet.

Fuck, really don't know what I'm going to do since I just hit 50. I doubt I can PVP on my computer. Really hope we get some raids going on. Not sure how many there are available yet.

I find you have pretty much 3 choices (I dont really PVP)

1. Do the dailies on Ilum and Belsavis so you can buy one of the 2 mounts or the earpieces and implants.

2. Do the daily PVP mission where you capture the points on ilum for the bags to get champion gear and centurion gear.

3. Do hard flashpoints to get the crytals/commendations/ overall good gear, the crystals you get are mainly for the Tionese set which is the basic set.

Lain

So you don't think it's because the "Level Required" of the green item is higher than the "Level Required" of the purple item? My theory was that maybe the game actually scales down the actual equipped stats of an item the farther you get from its required level. So like if you had a level 1 item with +10 Cunning, and a Level 50 item with +10 Cunning, that the level 50 item would actually give more Cunning.

I don't know if that's true or not, just the theory I had.

I don't know, it's just that it has happened to me often when looking at the blue stuff I discovered through RE and comparing it to the something me or my companion is wearing (I think even the equipped base item).

--

In the mean time, reached 40 on Alderaan (I went back to see if I could find the bonus quests and to do some of the level 40 quests) and got Acid Blade. It's a neat ability. Still no luck with the bonus quest (guess I need to be higher level to be offered it) but I got some nice armoring mod and barrel mod from the quests (ilvl 96 stuff). I've also become poorer from buying the new skills and recipes, and I still have to buy the new bike.

Tacitus_

Just FYI, the normal mode raids are easier than the hardmode FPs while rewarding the same gear as hardmode endbosses AND dropping equivalent crafting patterns. Something like 5/6 of the bosses are even puggable and only the last boss of EV is even remotely hard or requires teamwork and I'm using those terms very lightly. Hard means that it has a bit of an enrage timer, will bug and instakill one of your players if you do phase transitions wrong and teamwork means you need to switch targets occasionally.

We oneshot everything but the last boss on our first try with our guild group.

Just FYI, the normal mode raids are easier than the hardmode FPs while rewarding the same gear as hardmode endbosses AND dropping equivalent crafting patterns. Something like 5/6 of the bosses are even puggable and only the last boss of EV is even remotely hard or requires teamwork and I'm using those terms very lightly. Hard means that it has a bit of an enrage timer, will bug and instakill one of your players if you do phase transitions wrong and teamwork means you need to switch targets occasionally.

We oneshot everything but the last boss on our first try with our guild group.

So what's the point of HM FPs then?

antonz

Does referencing Star Wars movies count?

And on the Ziost Shadow Bridge at the Imperial Fleet you get the Empire Strikes back with a Vaderish Sith lord talking to some very familiar looking Bounty Hunters while the Admiral looks on disapprovingly in the command pit.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
You have GOT to be kidding me...

Ha!! Finally got my medic companion as a Jedi Knight Sent at level 37. What a freaking WORLD of difference that makes. The entire game plays differently. I can DPS to my heart's content, slaying through mob after mob. And instead of resting for 10 seconds after every.single.encounter, I can instead just go ahead and run right toward the next mob without hesitation - my medic will just patch me up as we go.

I was thinking to myself; "no way, this is going to get SO much harder, I'm sure." But then I encountered the Balmorra final boss, an enemy with about 17K HP and two weak adds. Now, recall back, that at level 34 I was getting PILLAGED by a guy with 15K HP. No matter what I did, I couldn't get passed him.

Well, I didn't even use a stim... I didn't even need a Medpack! Very first try, and I was able to take on this boss without dropping below half HP even once. It was a piece of cake.

So yeah... I'm *really* trying not to get too excited. Maybe I'll get pillaged on the next planet. Maybe I got lucky? Maybe I'm overleveled? Maybe I'll run into all kinds of difficulty tomorrow. But for *tonight*, I'm just blown away by how much better everything was with a medic.

The JK class NEEDS a healer companion earlier in the game, without question. If it were up to me, I'd say it would be perfect within the final hours of Act I.

Anyhoo... just dinged 38 and defeated the boss on Balmorra. The beginning of that planet SUCKS, but man, the end of it REALLY picks up. I'm loving the story now. I was gonna go do my daily ship quests and maybe some PvP; but I had my second CTD since launch when I got on my ship. At 2:20 in the morning, maybe that's a sign I should go to bed...

EDIT:

Also, late Balmorra really "nails" the Star Wars feeling in a forest-y, WoW-esque space. I love planets like Coruscant, Nar Shadda, etc. But the nature-ridden planets are kind of boring to me. That said, I think BioWare did a really great job on this one.

6713345835_e7fe40ec26_b.jpg

6713344977_f938740ed6_b.jpg

6713344525_5c754c911f_b.jpg

Yaska

Ha!! Finally got my medic companion as a Jedi Knight Sent at level 37. What a freaking WORLD of difference that makes. The entire game plays differently. I can DPS to my heart's content, slaying through mob after mob. And instead of resting for 10 seconds after every.single.encounter, I can instead just go ahead and run right toward the next mob without hesitation - my medic will just patch me up as we go.

I was thinking to myself; "no way, this is going to get SO much harder, I'm sure." But then I encountered the Balmorra final boss, an enemy with about 17K HP and two weak adds. Now, recall back, that at level 34 I was getting PILLAGED by a guy with 15K HP. No matter what I did, I couldn't get passed him.

Well, I didn't even use a stim... I didn't even need a Medpack! Very first try, and I was able to take on this boss without dropping below half HP even once. It was a piece of cake.

So yeah... I'm *really* trying not to get too excited. Maybe I'll get pillaged on the next planet. Maybe I got lucky? Maybe I'm overleveled? Maybe I'll run into all kinds of difficulty tomorrow. But for *tonight*, I'm just blown away by how much better everything was with a medic.

The JK class NEEDS a healer companion earlier in the game, without question. If it were up to me, I'd say it would be perfect within the final hours of Act I.

Anyhoo... just dinged 38 and defeated the boss on Balmorra. The beginning of that planet SUCKS, but man, the end of it REALLY picks up. I'm loving the story now. I was gonna go do my daily ship quests and maybe some PvP; but I had my second CTD since launch when I got on my ship. At 2:20 in the morning, maybe that's a sign I should go to bed...

Yeah, Doc is mandatory for rest of the game for sentinel. Just make sure you take aggro for him or he stops healing you pretty fast and you go down. Also make sure you keep his stuff upgraded. This is mandatory or the later mobs will slaughter you, doc or no doc.
Bit spoiler about last class quest for Jedi Knight:
make sure you have T7-01 fully equipped to lvl 50 stuff before going to do this, as he will be your only companion throughout the mission. This makes the mission ridiculously hard for Sent. If you have friends take 'em with ya.

Guardian doesn't need healer so much.

I'm myself a lvl 50 Jedi Sent hehe. I know how PITA it is to be sometimes.

Renmei

Banned
Be envious of bounty hunters whose first companion is a ranged healer, a cute female to if you care about such things :p Her plus the Death From Above skill makes leveling ridiculously easy.

Yeah, Doc is mandatory for rest of the game for sentinel. Just make sure you take aggro for him or he stops healing you pretty fast and you go down. Also make sure you keep his stuff upgraded. This is mandatory or the later mobs will slaughter you, doc or no doc.
make sure you have T7-01 fully equipped to lvl 50 stuff before going to do this, as he will be your only companion throughout the mission. This makes the mission ridiculously hard for Sent. If you have friends take 'em with ya.

Idk especially at alderaan and later, even def guardians need to rest after every fight or so.

I do hope JK story gets better. It so far feels like a script out of a Saturday morning cartoon. Stop the comically silly doomsday device! Fight the sith with the cheesy dialogue! Repeat!

Doesn't help that the weird mirror eyes bug ruins any emotions/ tension from certain cutscenes :/

Kettch

I don't know, it's just that it has happened to me often when looking at the blue stuff I discovered through RE and comparing it to the something me or my companion is wearing (I think even the equipped base item).

--

In the mean time, reached 40 on Alderaan (I went back to see if I could find the bonus quests and to do some of the level 40 quests) and got Acid Blade. It's a neat ability. Still no luck with the bonus quest (guess I need to be higher level to be offered it) but I got some nice armoring mod and barrel mod from the quests (ilvl 96 stuff). I've also become poorer from buying the new skills and recipes, and I still have to buy the new bike.

I just got my Alderaan bonus mission quest at the Imperial Fleet at level 40. Had a pointless class quest that brought me there, the only purpose of which was to get me to notice the quest I think. Still pretty easy to miss.

wowzors

Just hit 40 tonight on my Sith Assassin on Saber of Exaar Kun. What a great game so far, I leveled artifice to 400 tonight also with Archaeology at 340 and treasure hunting at 300. Started my Operative a little bit ago but shes only at 20.

Choc

Banned

I told you, the jedi knight is fucking broken. They need to give you a healer on Tatooine.

its a broken broken class. Those who are prepared to PVP their way to higher levels and then roll the planets to get the healer can play it

others? smashed keyboards

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Does referencing Star Wars movies count?
i remember that one lol. References to SW material i dont count as pop culture references. TOR does, however, have a ton of references to the SW EU. The game is probably the best and most frequent use of license lore ive seen in a game yet. ive been checking things out of Wookieepedia every now and then and ive gained a new respect for the absolute depth and breadth of the SW universe.

Tacitus_

So what's the point of HM FPs then?

They reset daily, but I think they're just overtuned. It's the exact same problem WoW had in Burning Crusade where heroics were harder than the raids and dropped blues while raids dropped epics.

I mean, when we did the last boss in EV, we had two DPS who had dinged 2 hours before the raid, and I was in tank spec although the fight only required one tank. And when we executed the fight correctly, we had absolutely no problems with the enrage timer on it. We even missed the gimmick a time or two on the kill.

But in hardmode flashpoints? You better be in 50 blues and epics, and using stims and adrenals and medpacks. And you'll still run into enrage timers in Ilum and False Emperor. The raids are on the difficulty level of hardmode Black Talon (and whatever the Rep equivalent is).

I wish they went back to how it was in the beta at one time, where you could actually go buy new skills for your companions. I understand they wanted each companion to have a niche, but instead we're left with a system where some classes are just forced to use specific companions. JK's get Doc way too late as it is, and while Sith Warriors get Quinn pretty early, it's annoying that I'm shoe horned into using him unless I want to make it more difficult for myself. I think it would solve alot of the JK(and other classes) leveling issues, and also allow players to use some of the more interesting yet less used companions without gimping themselves.

On a related companion note, late Sith Warrior story spoilers(Just after Voss):
Quinn betraying you was honestly the first time the "illusion of choice" really hurt the story and my character, at least for me. It really took alot of the intrigue and tension out of the situation when I knew there was no way I would get the option to kill him. What sense does it make for my near Dark Side level 5 character to spare him for betraying and trying to kill me? Granted it was fun to just beat and choke the shit out of him for 30 seconds, but I really wish they went all in on situations like that, rather then what felt like a cop out so that I could maintain my 6 total companions.

God god I hate Balmorra.

Blegh.

Yeah its long stuff.

That thing about buying abilities for companions definetly shouldn't have been removed, we all have our preferences to the companions (I always use Ashara even tho she's not the best)

I wish there was some special episodes or something where you could have a 4 man mission in which you use 3 of your companions, not allow it all the time obviously but just for contained special missions.

Heysoos

But in hardmode flashpoints? You better be in 50 blues and epics, and using stims and adrenals and medpacks. And you'll still run into enrage timers in Ilum and False Emperor. The raids are on the difficulty level of hardmode Black Talon (and whatever the Rep equivalent is).

If only, The Esseles is one of hardest HM FP out right now for the Republic side.

CzarTim

With the exception of gloves, I am now fully purple geared. And besides gloves, only 2 other pieces of gear aren't Champion (chest and belt are centurian).

Mastamind

EDIT:

Also, late Balmorra really "nails" the Star Wars feeling in a forest-y, WoW-esque space. I love planets like Coruscant, Nar Shadda, etc. But the nature-ridden planets are kind of boring to me. That said, I think BioWare did a really great job on this one.

Every class gets a healer before lvl 20, the ship droid. All its missing is a weapon but does well enough for healing. And besides.... it punches things in the face.

I told you, the jedi knight is fucking broken. They need to give you a healer on Tatooine.

its a broken broken class. Those who are prepared to PVP their way to higher levels and then roll the planets to get the healer can play it

Everyone gets a healer early on with your ship droid if you really have to have one.

What makes the knight so broken when I see no one complaining about playing through the game as a Sith Warrior?

Tacitus_

If only, The Esseles is one of hardest HM FP out right now for the Republic side.

Hah, the Black Talon is so absurdly easy it's almost funny. Only the last boss is of any difficulty and only because she has a tight enrage timer for fresh players.
...not to mention that the trash that spawns for executing the captain is bugged and won't spawn in hardmode, so you can skip 5 packs of trash and just scoot your way to the first boss.

datamage

Level 35 and on Balmorra, I keep waiting to hit this brick wall people are talking about.

Broken class? Talk about exaggeration.

Interfectum

Level 35 and on Balmorra, I keep waiting to hit this brick wall people are talking about.

Broken class? Talk about exaggeration.

I'm level 44 sith warrior... no problems leveling here. just keep you and your companion well geared and you'll be fine.

MMO fans love to blame the developers for their own failings.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Ha, it really is. It starts easy, but that fight where you have to interrupt that one guy's snipe is so annoying if not on Mumble and coordinating interrupts.

Damage. I would like to self heal when needed or through damage if it exists,not be squishy, and do great deeps.

Trooper: Commando, Bounty Hunter: Merc, Imperial Agent: Operative, Smuggler: Scoundrel, Jedi: Sage, Inquisitor: Sorcerror

They can be made DPS and get some heal abilities automatically usually that work well as self heals, or they can be respecced to full healers if you want later on.

Zafir

Hah, the Black Talon is so absurdly easy it's almost funny. Only the last boss is of any difficulty and only because she has a tight enrage timer for fresh players.
...not to mention that the trash that spawns for executing the captain is bugged and won't spawn in hardmode, so you can skip 5 packs of trash and just scoot your way to the first boss.

Honestly, I'd argue the bonus boss is harder than the final boss. With the bonus boss you need a decent healer or decent dps who know how to interrupt(Or the tank can interrupt too, as a tank I often interrupt the punches myself since I'm not very trusting), which I'd argue is rare for most fresh 50s. With the final boss, permitting no body bugs out and gets stuck when trying to walk away from the whirlwind, it's pretty easy to beat the enrage timer even running in a fresh pug.

The other HMs I wouldn't even bother trying to pug though. I mean the next one on the list, Boarding Party, is easy, until you get to the final boss which has a lot of splash damage thanks to grenades. If you haven't got both a good healer and good DPS, you aren't going to get him down without dying. Even more so if you happened to bring melee with you. The ranged can run out of line of sight to be healed every now and then, melee doesn't have that luxury. To add salt to the wound, if you wipe once, you don't get the chest from the final boss.

I'm glad I don't have to do FE HM any more. Did it about 6 times over the past week for the chest. I mean it isn't a bad dungeon, nor is it hard if you have a decent group. It's just so long...

jaxpunk

If you miss a single stun to break whatever move will one shot a tank. So absurdly easy... I don't think so. The last boss will also bug out and single shot saber throw someone to death before the enrage.

Tacitus_

Damage. I would like to self heal when needed or through damage if it exists,not be squishy, and do great deeps.

So that narrows it down to (speaking on imp terms here, can't translate the ACs) Mercenary BH (heavy armor, two blaster pistols), Sith Sorcerer (caster, light armor, but can cast bubbles to negate damage) or Imperial Agent Operative (medium armor, stealth).

If you miss a single stun to break whatever move will one shot a tank. So absurdly easy... I don't think so. The last boss will also bug out and single shot saber throw someone to death before the enrage.

It sure is compared to the other HMs... and what oneshot move are you talking about? Never had that happen and I don't remember stunning bosses since they tend to be stun immune.

Ken

Mercenary? If it's like the MercenarIes I fight in PvP you get heavy armor, heals, and good damage. Mercenaries are the advanced class of Bounty Hunters, and Troopers-> Commandos are the Republic mirror.

Interfectum

BTW I was wondering about the overall plot of The Old Republic... are all the class storylines linked in some way and do they run in parallel? For example if I'm playing as an operative is it assumed that there is a sith warrior or bounty hunter doing it's part of the story too?

Top Bottom