• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Bazza

The game randomly locks up your UI so it doesn't register mouse clicks at all. First, have keybinds for your skills, secondly you can reload your UI without rebooting the game by pressing Ctrl+U twice.

Shift and right clicking on one of the toolbar buttons seems to work as well, i dont know if it locks up the same way but i presume so as i take it that's how iv been locking it up in the first place by holding shift to use the bottom centre toolbar and right clicking the toolbar in the middle of the fight by accident.

how is the jedi sage storyline? im thinking about rolling one of them after beating it with the sith warrior.

I thought it was really boring but only played a few levels of it. Everyone seems to say the story for them gets much much better, though seems to have the worst start of all the classes.

BTW I was wondering about the overall plot of The Old Republic... are all the class storylines linked in some way and do they run in parallel? For example if I'm playing as an operative is it assumed that there is a sith warrior or bounty hunter doing it's part of the story too?

From what I've seen and read, the stories are running parallel. Like for Republic you go to Taris early on, but when the Empire players get there it's later on in the "timeline" of the story. Basically 8 stories running at about the same time.

Tacitus_

BTW I was wondering about the overall plot of The Old Republic... are all the class storylines linked in some way and do they run in parallel? For example if I'm playing as an operative is it assumed that there is a sith warrior or bounty hunter doing it's part of the story too?

So far I haven't noticed much interaction with the character stories, but I've only scratched the surface... supposedly the jedi knight story ties a lot what goes on near the end.

Torraz

Can anyone tell me without spoilers or minimal spoilers if the Sith Inquisitor story is good throughout the game? I think I am nearing the end of the first act, but I have heard that it might be getting worse and worse from this point...

Interfectum

From what I've seen and read, the stories are running parallel. Like for Republic you go to Taris early on, but when the Empire players get there it's later on in the "timeline" of the story. Basically 8 stories running at about the same time.

Is anything ever referenced (from what you've seen or heard)? I'm thinking the stuff I do in Act 2 as a Sith Warrior seems pretty damaging to the republic. I was wondering if that's ever mentioned on the republic side.

Patryn

The moment they fix Full Auto forums will be flooded with "Nerf Commandos! OMFG!" threads. So annoying to have stupid pushback.

Wait... what's broken with Full Auto?

Is anything ever referenced (from what you've seen or heard)? I'm thinking the stuff I do in Act 2 as a Sith Warrior seems pretty damaging to the republic. I was wondering if that's ever mentioned on the republic side.

I was thinking one day it would have been interesting if they had intertwined the stories somewhat. For instance, (Trooper story spoiler)
What if the Imperial Agent helped to facilitate Havoc squad's defection?
They could make it like it's not big deal, just a minor story quest for the IA, but then if you played Trooper, it'd be a cool twist.

But as for core story, it really does feel like the JK story is the "main" story of the Old Republic. I think someone said that it's based on the original proposal for KOTOR 3, I believe.

Heysoos

So that narrows it down to (speaking on imp terms here, can't translate the ACs) Mercenary BH (heavy armor, two blaster pistols), Sith Sorcerer (caster, light armor, but can cast bubbles to negate damage) or Imperial Agent Operative (medium armor, stealth).

For Republic, Commando, Sage, and Scoundrel.

Zafir

They do definitely run in parallel, because when you finish the SW class quest, you actually get a mail informing you about something that happens at the end of the JK questline.

But as for core story, it really does feel like the JK story is the "main" story of the Old Republic. I think someone said that it's based on the original proposal for KOTOR 3, I believe.

Yea they are likely the "main" story especially after reading the Revan novel and what they hint at... and because of one of the JK's companions which is a main character in the novel.

Theres a couple little things that tie into each other, but at the end they all end up around the same state the galaxy is in waiting for the next part of the story.

Tacitus_

Can anyone tell me without spoilers or minimal spoilers if the Sith Inquisitor story is good throughout the game? I think I am nearing the end of the first act, but I have heard that it might be getting worse and worse from this point...

It stays pretty much the same. More power, more power, some backstabbings, more power, OH NOES SHIT WENT BAD and TRIUMPH!
It's not bad per se... just really bland. Though I did enjoy the final quest and sticking my lightsaber up the ass of my nemesis.

Lain

Spent some time waiting for the Balloon on Tatooine, then got aboard it, waited for it to reach the datacron, but like 2-3 minutes before it reached it (which means, really close to it) it depopped leaving me on the ground... I ran back and it had already departed again, so now it's another long wait.
This sucks, royally.

Interfectum

People keep saying this, but I am loving it even more than the Trooper one. It takes until the end of Taris to pick up though.

If I wanted to go dark side with that jedi does it have some pretty good payoffs (if you know).

One thing I'm liking about the Sith Warrior is you can be really bad or quite merciful if you wanted to be. I'm wondering how "bad" can you be as a jedi?

moop1167

I did the LOD tweak in nvidia inspector (set it at -3), and there is a huge difference. I mostly noticed it in the space combat where the game looked probably 2x better than without the LOD tweak. However, there was a huge performance impact, where I was getting 60 fps all the time during them before, but it was dropping into the low 40s at points with the tweak.

Definitely not going to be using this. This is on dual GTX 580's as well, so I have no clue why it runs like shit.

CzarTim

If I wanted to go dark side with that jedi does it have some pretty good payoffs (if you know).

One thing I'm liking about the Sith Warrior is you can be really bad or quite merciful if you wanted to be. I'm wondering how "bad" can you be as a jedi?
You can be pretty merciless, but I haven't seen anything too bad though (this is my level 25 alt.)

DS options are usually just killing people who are standing in your way.

Wait... what's broken with Full Auto?

It has a pushback i.e. damage shortens channel time, so it never ever does full damage. The equivalent skill for BH does not have a pushback, nor animation delay. Same problem with Mortar Volley - Trooper needs to wait half the channel time to start shooting, BH fires immediately.

Some dark side choices are pretty evil, but lot of them just make you seem like a jerk.

I frankly find on both sides the non force users as having the better light/dark choices as they are not as restricted by the universe lore.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
People keep saying this, but I am loving it even more than the Trooper one. It takes until the end of Taris to pick up though.

I liked the story up to that point; where the other classes get better with time, I felt like the consular story gets worse. Plenty of folks really liked it though, so, as with any story, opinions differ :)

Torraz

It stays pretty much the same. More power, more power, some backstabbings, more power, OH NOES SHIT WENT BAD and TRIUMPH!
It's not bad per se... just really bland. Though I did enjoy the final quest and sticking my lightsaber up the ass of my nemesis.

Thanks, as long as it does not return to Korriban levels of fail then i think I can cope.

Perhaps I should create an imperial agent alt, as their story is getting praised.

frequency

I know it's all opinion and taste and stuff but... I don't get the greatness in the IA story that other people do. I was reading around and people were really into it, saying stuff like
how they were super scared of Jadus and bowed down to him because he's so scary! Or how great it was to be able to talk Jadus away on his ship.
But to me, it's not the James Bond-esque plot people were claiming it was.

I like the IA VO but other than that, it's been pretty uninteresting.

But I'm enjoying the Consular story, which is widely regarded as the worst. So what do I know?

It has a pushback i.e. damage shortens channel time, so it never ever does full damage. The equivalent skill for BH does not have a pushback, nor animation delay. Same problem with Mortar Volley - Trooper needs to wait half the channel time to start shooting, BH fires immediately.

I'm not sure that's true. I'm pretty sure my BH channeled shot suffers pushback as well.
And Death from Above (I think that's the counterpart to Mortar Volley) I don't think is immediate. It has the flying animation before it starts to shoot.

But I haven't been on my BH in a bit.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I know it's all opinion and taste and stuff but... I don't get the greatness in the IA story that other people do. I was reading around and people were really into it, saying stuff like
how they were super scared of Jadus and bowed down to him because he's so scary! Or how great it was to be able to talk Jadus away on his ship.

But I'm enjoying the Consular story, which is widely regarded as the worst. So what do I know?

It's just that the story quality in the game is so low that the Agent story seems awesome in comparison.

But yea, it's pretty tepid.

Tacitus_

The BH skill Unload most definitely has pushback, but you can talent a 70% resistance to it.

Torraz

Thanks for that, guys. I guess I'll simply try to get to 50 with the IQ before the free month is up and let the subscription lapse then, in the case. I don't think I can muster the strength for a pvp/pve gear treadmill grind since I did that in the last mmo.

Some people over hype the IA story, but found it great because it's not stuck in the SW tropes and has no real movie equivalent. Unlike the Jedi or Sith you are not suck in a pattern of story, and you get to see more of the behind the scenes focus of the Empire itself instead of the usual Sith evil doings and backstabbery. Your just a soldier of the empire, doing what you want and your story choices have more variety and allow it to feel more natural than a Sith making awkward light choices.

frequency

Some people over hype the IA story, but found it great because it's not stuck in the SW tropes and has no real movie equivalent. Unlike the Jedi or Sith you are not suck in a pattern of story, and you get to see more of the behind the scenes focus of the Empire itself instead of the usual Sith evil doings and backstabbery. Your just a soldier of the empire, doing what you want and your story choices have more variety and allow it to feel more natural than a Sith making awkward light choices.

That is one element that I do enjoy. My character seems to actively dislike the Sith and is just working to make the Empire a better place. But that might just be my own projections.

I think it is insanely over-hyped. Maybe I would enjoy it more if I didn't go in with the expectations that I did.
And I might be alright with the Consular story because of the bad rep that one has.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
That is one element that I do enjoy. My character seems to actively dislike the Sith and is just working to make the Empire a better place. But that might just be my own projections.
Nah, you can legitimately go that route with the dialog choices they give. Or you can go the complete opposite route - and it will still feel completely natural. That and how they also give you unique dialog options if you're a non-human is why I'm really digging the IA story.

Tacitus_

Nah, you can legitimately go that route with the dialog choices they give. Or you can go the complete opposite route - and it will still feel completely natural. That and how they also give you unique dialog options if you're a non-human is why I'm really digging the IA story.

Oh cool. Because I'm so rolling Chiss for my agent in when I get around doing so.

daoster

so GAF, I'm about to hit the big 5-0 on my Gunslinger within a day or two (am I the first level 50 smuggler on GAF Republic?) and I wanted to know how 1.1 will make it much more difficult for me to get my cool LVL 50 gear...

We can't work with the Imps to steal spots anymore? Is that basically it?

Ryu

I told you, the jedi knight is fucking broken. They need to give you a healer on Tatooine.

its a broken broken class. Those who are prepared to PVP their way to higher levels and then roll the planets to get the healer can play it

others? smashed keyboards

Sorry, but, completely disagree. When I got Kira Carsen, I played the rest of the game with her and never looked back. I out-leveled most people so just solo'd the game from about 15 on other than a few FP's along the way. Only time I switched companions was for the very last fight of the story where you are forced to use T-7. Rough fight, but solo-able with T7. Luckily for the people who can't do it, this fight will be getting the nerf bat pretty hard very soon.

In any case, here's the tips I give to most people when it comes to playing the JK. They're pretty broad and echoed in this thread, but I feel it bears repeating:

1. Gear up.

No class in all of TOR is more gear dependent than a JK. The right types of gear is just as important as having new updated gear all the time. If you’re picking boxes instead of commendations hoping for an RNG roll for new gear, you’re doing it wrong. If you’re damage, go for strength and endurance. Power, crit, and accuracy are also great sub categories to go after. As a tank, defense to cap is good, but remember, too much defense and not enough strength gimps your damage. Make up for it any way you can with stims and the like.

2. Gear up your companion.

Companions can make up anywhere from 33-66% of your DPS. Go try and solo an elite (gold star) mob without one at level and see how it goes. If you did it without cooldowns, you’re a God amongst men. If you did it at all and blew all your cooldowns, great kid, don’t get cocky. Gear them to their strengths as well. The gear that they are wearing when you get them is a great indication of what you should be outfitting them with stat wise. Set your sights on that and go for it. You’re only hurting yourself if you don’t.

3. Use your companion’s strength.

I got to 50 using Kira Carsen as my companion for 95% of the game. I was also DPS spec. For those of you not using Doc as your healing companion, this advice is true for you: start your fights with the companion. The game gives you the ability to choose what abilities your companion does for a reason - this also means the companion can start the fight and get initial threat from the group while you mop up. If there’s a silver or gold enemy in there, send your companion at them first. If there’s normal non silver or gold mobs in the pack, charge in right after and take them out while your companion tanks the big guy. Then take them out after. When your companion is at about 20% health, go ahead and taunt the enemy so it attacks you. A companion at 20% life does 100% DPS while a companion at 0% life does 0% DPS.

Remember, as Yoda says, "Always two there are. No more. No less.”

4. Prioritize your targets.

If it’s a pack of 6 regular enemies, send your companion in first to some targets on the left while you go after some targets on the right. Splitting your DPS for this is a good strategy as it also splits up the damage taken. 1 gold elite with 3 regular mobs? Send your companion after the elite while you kill the regular mobs. 2 silver? Send in your companion to 1 silver and make them use a defensive cooldown and focus fire down one of them. Try and use your stuns and knockdown abilities on the other to mitigate damage until the first is dead and then move to the second. Going after the hard target and leaving up the weak ones is a recipe for disaster.

5. Use your defensive cooldowns.

The JK is given LOTS of defensive abilities between stuns, knock downs, damage reductions, temporary health boosts, and slows. Don’t be ashamed to use them. think of your companion as a second life bar as well - make sure you use it, but make sure it never hits zero as well. Also, use medpacks. They are a big deal and can save your life. If your companion is at 20% health and you taunt the mob to you and you are now at 40% health while the mob is at 60%, use a medpack. There’s plenty more out there and you can buy them from a vendor.

6. Interrupt the enemy casting abilities.

There are plenty of bosses in Flashpoints that you won’t be able to interrupt abilities for and plenty that you will have to, but just about every boss you fight for story related purposes outside of flashpoints has an interruptible cast. These can range anywhere from a high damaging ability to a big heal. Learning when to watch for them and when to interrupt them is just as vital as breathing. If you are at 40% and the mob is at 40%, letting that heal get off so it’s 80% for them and 40% for you will mean all the difference. Don’t let it happen. You have many tricks to stop it from happening so use them.

7. Learn to play.

This was one I debated putting on here, but really, it comes down to you reading the tooltips and understanding what each ability does. Same goes for when you throw those points into talent trees for your advanced class. Use the infinite resources of the Internet at your disposal (really, all you need is torhead.com) and spec out a character that will maximize damage and survivability.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

so GAF, I'm about to hit the big 5-0 on my Gunslinger within a day or two (am I the first level 50 smuggler on GAF Republic?) and I wanted to know how 1.1 will make it much more difficult for me to get my cool LVL 50 gear...

We can't work with the Imps to steal spots anymore? Is that basically it?

It can be a "big" difference, depending on your server. Basically now, you get 1 bag a day from the ilum dailies, as well as 3 for the ilum weekly. Right now, the two sides just trade caps and you can get your daily/weekly done in about 5 minutes without any effort other than riding your speeder to the right location. Once the patch changes, I think you'll have to actually fight it out for the objectives, which won't be bad if you're on the side with numbers. If you're like me, on a server where the imps outnumber the repubs by a ton, then it could be more difficult for repubs to complete the quest.

In warzones, things might also be a bit harder for you. As it is now, at 50 you play with people under 50, who don't have expertise gear (of course). You can kill them just fine, but against a geared 50, a newbie 50 will get demolished. Upon the patch, you'll be placed in the level 50 bracket, so chances are you'll be fighting against better geared players, which will make winning/getting medals for you a bit more difficult.

That said, it's still retarded easily to get pvp gear. You'll still get your 3 wins a day and 9 a week for the pvp daily/weekly, and I bet ilum won't be too bad, though I admit that's to be seen.

Door2Dawn

Banned
The fact that you have to do all of that just to be decent proves the Jk/Sw are shit. This isn't a learn to play issue, its a learn to balance your fucking game issue.

The fact that you have to do all of that just to be decent proves the Jk/Sw are shit. This isn't a learn to play issue, its a learn to balance your fucking game issue.

So the game shouldn't involve any player thinking?

SW has no issues playing through it's quest storyline, everyone is whining about JK's.

I didn't have to do anything to be decent at my Juggernaught, I've breezed throughout the entire thing so far, in my 40's, and not once had died more than once on anything, and never died on an actual class quest. Just got to keep geared up, your characters geared up, and use the right companion for what your doing and your class build. But you know.... this is how you have to do it with all classes....

CzarTim

JK should have probably been the most carebear class since most casual Star Wars fans will go that route.

datamage

Seeing how there are people who have no problems when leveling a JK, it definitely sounds like a learn to play issue. Perhaps games that involve more than 3 buttons to press and forces you to fully utilize your abilities are too complex for certain people.

Ryu

Oh it's DEFINITELY a learn to play issue. A lot of people come from WoW where they have this 4 button rotation down and everything melts in front of them. The JK, by level 35, has 15 different OFFENSIVE abilities. This doesn't count the defensive ones at all which definitely need to be used. Friend of mine calls this the "megaelixir syndrom" where people feel they need to save those 1-3 minute cooldowns for the big fights when, realistically, they can use them for every other or every third fight.

I didn't ask anyone to do anything special in my post other than gear up, use a companion, and use cooldowns. Sorry, but you can't steamroll all the content in your starter gear and yes, you will have to play the actual game and not mindlessly right click to loot. How does that make a class broken? This is very simple and very basic MMO mechanics.

Won

Was thinking to close out the free month with a Taral V run on my tank, but I think trading points on Ilum is the better end to that storyline.

Alex

I did the LOD tweak in nvidia inspector (set it at -3), and there is a huge difference. I mostly noticed it in the space combat where the game looked probably 2x better than without the LOD tweak. However, there was a huge performance impact, where I was getting 60 fps all the time during them before, but it was dropping into the low 40s at points with the tweak.

Definitely not going to be using this. This is on dual GTX 580's as well, so I have no clue why it runs like shit.

The game drinks GPUs like crazy. My CPU is barely utilized while my GPU is always at 100.

hamchan

I quite like the Sith Warrior storyline. Act 1 was pretty glorious, Act 2 was boring until the ending and Act 3 could potentially have the most satisfying ending out of all the acts, I'm not up to it yet but I have a good feeling.

Also I tried leveling as a Sith Juggenaut in the Fury tree and it was a rubbish experience. Pretty much death everywhere. Death to 2 or more silvers and definite death to golds with one or more normal backups. Respecced to the actual tanking tree and now I'm soloing all these quests when I'm 2 levels below the recommended. So a tip to those struggling is to respec and try something new I guess, because there's a possibility it's just your skill tree that's shit and not you.

wowzors

Favorite Flashpoint moment so far by far:

Darth Revan is charging up to become more powerful then you could possibly imagine

JWong

Banned
For those who are interested, comparison of Trooper and IA story up till level 33 (mid-Alderaan):

IA sucks donkey balls.

People are saying the story gets great later, but you finish Act I being lvl 33-34, so the story should at least hold all the way. As IA we are tasked with destroying terrorist cells across galaxy, bla bla bla, boring. Really, what more is there? The terrorists are lame.

Trooper chases after his former squad mates. Included in entrance fee: bust in Imperial prison, bust in Imperial base, etc. Not to mention each planet is different to due connection with former squad member. First planet was more about biotechnology, Tatooine was all about explosives. etc.

The only drawback? Republic planets suck big time. Taris OMFG

My brother is playing Jedi Guardian "hard mode" - no healer. Up to lvl 34 now, no problems.

Blah blah blah Republic Scum propaganda.

IA Storyline is the best story in Bioware history.

I think that one of the problems that crop up about particular classes having issues solo leveling, is that TOR has attracted a large audience of first time MMO players. Having to read and understand 20 different abilities and reading and planning an entire talent tree is quite the daunting concept for newcomers to the genre.

Honesty though the difficulty soloing does ramp up a bit as you get closer to 50. Belly and Voss can be a tad difficult. Specially the elite in Voss I've coined "douchebag in a cave".

frequency

I am not at all new to the genre. I've played MMOs for I think a bit over 10 years now.
And I'm still overwhelmed and have difficulty in the later levels with SWTOR.
Sure I suck at games, but I don't think it's a "new player" thing. There's just something about the ability/encounter design that is more difficult for some people.

Whats so bad about taris? I just arrived there as a Jedi Knight

Mostly it's just ugly, there's basically 1 type of enemy in the entire zone (enemy is also ugly), and all the enemies are positioned so that much of the time they are unavoidable and you must fight them. I don't know, I just basically didn't like it.

JWong

Banned
Pub scum's Taris: "We have to save this world and all the widdle animals. =3"
Bonus Objective 1: Kill Rakghouls 0/20
Bonus Objective 2: Kill Rakghouls again 0/45

Master Imperial's Taris: Kill and murder Pub Scum!

Huge difference for me. 8P

Top Bottom