• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I honestly liked Taris because i remembered what happened to the planet in KOTOR. Gave me a nice link to that game i thought. The quests were pretty much kill rakghouls though haha.

Azzurri

Who's a lvl 50 Sage? If so, what's your spec. I'm only lvl 33, but I'm going 7/17/17 hybrid spec. I was wondering how a 31 Seer spec would be like in PvP, I probably couldn't kill anything, but I would really piss people off since I would just heal all the time.

Whats so bad about taris? I just arrived there as a Jedi Knight

You also pretty much need your map up a lot of the time due to how the world is designed. More often then not I end up on the wrong side of a wall to my objective.

The atmosphere by design is also pretty damn shitty, so it gets a bit hard to muster after a while =(

Heysoos

Who's a lvl 50 Sage? If so, what's your spec. I'm only lvl 33, but I'm going 7/17/17 hybrid spec. I was wondering how a 31 Seer spec would be like in PvP, I probably couldn't kill anything, but I would really piss people off since I would just heal all the time.

If you're on the Republic GAF guild ask Earkwayd, I'm fairly certain he's Seer spec, and he seems to play PVP quite a bit.

Azzurri

You also pretty much need your map up a lot of the time due to how the world is designed. More often then not I end up on the wrong side of a wall to my objective.

The atmosphere by design is also pretty damn shitty, so it gets a bit hard to muster after a while =(

Too many fucking ruins and walls blocking everything.

hamchan

Taris was a damn ugly place but I appreciated the name dropping of stuff from KOTOR.

I'm in Belsavis now and it's quite a beautiful zone.

I honestly liked Taris because i remembered what happened to the planet in KOTOR. Gave me a nice link to that game i thought. The quests were pretty much kill rakghouls though haha.

that was cool, except every other quest is pretty much "HEY REMEMBER THIS IN KOTOR????"

Killing rakghouls as commando is fun though. pulse cannon those motherfuckers.

daebo

This is completely random... But I'd love an app on my cell phone that would allow me to send my companions out to do crewskill stuff. or, if they ever put in gambling, let me gamble from my phone.

Sitting here bored at work, that would do a lot to help alleviate some of my boredom.

Patryn

Whats so bad about taris? I just arrived there as a Jedi Knight

For Republic players, it goes on forever, and you basically only fight rakghouls. And more rakghouls. And a few more rakghouls. Then a couple rakghouls over there.

Also? The rakghouls in that facility? Kill those. Then the ones in the cave. Then a few more over here.

Did I mention killing rakghouls?

The punchline to all this is that if you're a lightside player,
there are two quests that point out how they're actually intelligent and you shouldn't be massacring them. You then head out on yet another mission to kill them all.

Does anyone fully understand all the types of yields you can get during crew skills? I've seen:

Moderate
Abundant
Bountiful
Rich

Wealthy (Mission Discovery Skill Only)
Prosperous (Mission Discovery Skill Only)

The way I see it, there are three possible things that the yield can affect:

1) Number of different types of item
2) Quantity of each individual item
3) Quality (Blue/Purple) of attained items.

For example, I know that Rich is "better" than Moderate, but in what way? And is Rich "better" than Bountiful, or do they just do different things?

Mastamind

This is completely random... But I'd love an app on my cell phone that would allow me to send my companions out to do crewskill stuff. or, if they ever put in gambling, let me gamble from my phone.

Sitting here bored at work, that would do a lot to help alleviate some of my boredom.

Think about using teamviewer, I use it to craft from work using my work laptop. But it will work with an android phone too.

Alex

Would be nice if they don't go the Blizzard route and charge a monthly fee for an app in addition to the service =/ That is so damned lame.

For Republic players, it goes on forever, and you basically only fight rakghouls. And more rakghouls. And a few more rakghouls. Then a couple rakghouls over there.

Also? The rakghouls in that facility? Kill those. Then the ones in the cave. Then a few more over here.

Did I mention killing rakghouls?

The punchline to all this is that if you're a lightside player,
there are two quests that point out how they're actually intelligent and you shouldn't be massacring them. You then head out on yet another mission to kill them all.

Pretty much sumps up Taris. When you go to Tatooine replace Rakghouls with Sand people. Also, a few quests will make you furious - go to the end of the cave, pick up and object, go back to the entrance, take THE OTHER DIRECTION, walk 5m, complete quest. Oh, and kill 30 rakghouls that respawned in the meantime.

usea

As for Taris (republic), I hated it because there were so many walls that blocked your way that weren't immediately obvious or organized, the enemies were boring, and the story and characters were frustrating. I didn't play kotor if that matters.

Does anyone fully understand all the types of yields you can get during crew skills? I've seen:

Moderate
Abundant
Bountiful
Rich

Wealthy (Mission Discovery Skill Only)
Prosperous (Mission Discovery Skill Only)

The way I see it, there are three possible things that the yield can affect:

1) Number of different types of item
2) Quantity of each individual item
3) Quality (Blue/Purple) of attained items.

For example, I know that Rich is "better" than Moderate, but in what way? And is Rich "better" than Bountiful, or do they just do different things?
I also wish I had this information. I hate making uninformed choices.

Pretty much sumps up Taris. When you go to Tatooine replace Rakghouls with Sand people. Also, a few quests will make you furious - go to the end of the cave, pick up and object, go back to the entrance, take THE OTHER DIRECTION, walk 5m, complete quest. Oh, and kill 30 rakghouls that respawned in the meantime.

it's really baffling that some 'dungeons' with quest objectives at the end are not instanced. And then the devs troll you by placing the quest npc right outside, so quick traveling back to town would be pointless.

Patryn

Tattoine has the Czerka questline that I really liked, though. Really felt "KOTOR"y.

My new complaint: That the JK has to use the holoterminal at the beginning of every planet after you arrive. EVERY SINGLE TIME, I have disembarked and started running out of the starport only to notice my quest says "USE YOUR SHIP'S HOLOTERMINAL" Cue having to run all the way back, then having to skip through the animation of your ship taking off.

Eh Tat had lot of variety in enemies. Jawas, Sand People, creatures, Republic, Exchange, Gamoreans, etc, etc. Huge improvement over Taris

bill0527

it's really baffling that some 'dungeons' with quest objectives at the end are not instanced. And then the devs troll you by placing the quest npc right outside, so quick traveling back to town would be pointless.

I die a little inside each time I walk towards a quest cave and there's no green barrier at the entrance.

Tacitus_

Tattoine has the Czerka questline that I really liked, though. Really felt "KOTOR"y.

My new complaint: That the JK has to use the holoterminal at the beginning of every planet after you arrive. EVERY SINGLE TIME, I have disembarked and started running out of the starport only to notice my quest says "USE YOUR SHIP'S HOLOTERMINAL" Cue having to run all the way back, then having to skip through the animation of your ship taking off.

Every class has that.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
BTW I was wondering about the overall plot of The Old Republic... are all the class storylines linked in some way and do they run in parallel? For example if I'm playing as an operative is it assumed that there is a sith warrior or bounty hunter doing it's part of the story too?
This is something im curious about. The stuff thats revealed in the IA story is huge stuff for the Star Wars Old Republic setting in general. i wonder if the other stories have mention of the main antagonists of the IA story.

Moaradin

I'm still waiting for my Power Supply to ship so I can get back to gaming =/

Been craving SWTOR and DOTA 2 so bad!

This is something im curious about. The stuff thats revealed in the IA story is huge stuff for the Star Wars Old Republic setting in general. i wonder if the other stories have mention of the main antagonists of the IA story.

IA End of Act 1 Spoilers!
yea, Darth Jadus is said to be the strongest force in the galaxy before the emperor. I wonder if hes referenced anywhere else. He is a great villain so far.

my computer just had to crash when I got to voss. I was nearing the end of my story..

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
yea, Darth Jadus is said to be the strongest force in the galaxy before the emperor. I wonder if hes referenced anywhere else. He is a great villain so far.

my computer just had to crash when I got to voss. I was nearing the end of my story..
Villain
? I do believe you mean
great ally
so far. ;P

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I'm still waiting for my Power Supply to ship so I can get back to gaming =/

Been craving SWTOR and DOTA 2 so bad!

That wasnt who i referring to. You might not have reached that part of the story yet.

Moaradin

That wasnt who i referring to. You might not have reached that part of the story yet.

IA Act 3 spoilers!
I'm currently in Act 3. Just found out about the whole conspiracy things, but I'm a little hazy on the details since my computers been dead for 3 weeks. I just got on Voss when computer crashed.

Patryn

Every class has that.

I don't think Trooper required you to use it after arriving. I seem to remember that you'd use it after you finished a place up, and the General would tell you to go to location X and talk to person Y.

I die a little inside each time I walk towards a quest cave and there's no green barrier at the entrance.

I die knowing that the Bonus quest will undoubtedly be "KILL X number of Y" and yet someone else will already be in there, killing everything so I have to wait for respawns.

Hawk269

I did not ask here, not sure why since I spend most of my internet time here, but on the official forum's I posted a thread asking if an SSD had any impact on loading times and pretty much 90% of the people said it makes no difference at all.

I had ordered a Samsung 256gb 830 series SSD and wiped the existing HDD's to do a complete re-intall, while I was waiting I figured I could load SWTOR on my laptop. I know some people have made reports that load times can be alot slower on other machines and sure enough it takes 2x as long to load an area on my laptop vs. my desktop...but when I got the responses from folks over that the official site stating SSD's dont make any difference I was suprised.

UPS guys pulls up, hands over my SSD and I begin the install process. Once I have Windows up and patched, got my virus protection loaded in and few other programs I am ready to install SWTOR onto the SSD. Once everything is done, I decide to check it out and WOW! I am getting 10-15sec load times and that is it. I even went to 4 different planets, fleet and any other area I can get a loading screen and the longest load time I had was 20sec. On my desktop prior to the SSD I would get 30 sec to 1min 30 sec load times.

Not sure if the folks replying to me on the official site had older SSD's are perhaps SSD's that were not optomized, but for me the speed difference is pretty amazing.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The story summary loading screen is such a good idea. Good for people who take breaks and want to be refreshed on the story.
Definitely. im kind of amazed how incremental it is. Almost every step of the class story it updates.

About the SSDs.. finally i get an excuse to upgrade to SSD lol

frequency

The story summary loading screen usually disappears before I even have time to read it all...
I think I had a "Press Spacebar to continue" once on that screen, but haven't seen it since.

I didn't know people were getting 30s - 90s loading screens?

I don't have a SSD or whatever, and my loading screens are 20s at most.

I did not ask here, not sure why since I spend most of my internet time here, but on the official forum's I posted a thread asking if an SSD had any impact on loading times and pretty much 90% of the people said it makes no difference at all.

I had ordered a Samsung 256gb 830 series SSD and wiped the existing HDD's to do a complete re-intall, while I was waiting I figured I could load SWTOR on my laptop. I know some people have made reports that load times can be alot slower on other machines and sure enough it takes 2x as long to load an area on my laptop vs. my desktop...but when I got the responses from folks over that the official site stating SSD's dont make any difference I was suprised.

UPS guys pulls up, hands over my SSD and I begin the install process. Once I have Windows up and patched, got my virus protection loaded in and few other programs I am ready to install SWTOR onto the SSD. Once everything is done, I decide to check it out and WOW! I am getting 10-15sec load times and that is it. I even went to 4 different planets, fleet and any other area I can get a loading screen and the longest load time I had was 20sec. On my desktop prior to the SSD I would get 30 sec to 1min 30 sec load times.

Not sure if the folks replying to me on the official site had older SSD's are perhaps SSD's that were not optomized, but for me the speed difference is pretty amazing.

It's not that their SSDs weren't optimized, it was that your old HDD was severely slow. I was loading off my old HDD for a while and my loading times were taking 15-20 seconds so I switched it over to my SSD hoping for a sub 5 second load time, and I saw minimal differences. I think the main problem is a lot of stuff is downloaded or streamed when a planet is loaded, so the type of drive is irrelevant.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The story summary loading screen usually disappears before I even have time to read it all...
I think I had a "Press Spacebar to continue" once on that screen, but haven't seen it since.

I'm finding the loading times get longer later into the game. Especially after Tattooine.

The Press Spacebar thing only appears when you have a cutscene immediately after arriving on a planet. It's so you don't go afk while it's loading and come back not realizing you've missed a cutscene.

cametall

90s is probably average for me when loading planets. Fleet and ship load a little quicker.

Alderaan can take up to 5 minutes for me to load. I don't what it is about that damned planet, but it can take forever and even locked up on me once.

My general PC specs are AMD Phenom Quad Core (9xxx I think), 4 GB RAM, GTX 460 for reference.

The heroic (Imperial) you get where you have to destroy 3 generators then kill a boss, that area is a slide show for me. The rest of the planet runs well, that section kills me and I have no idea why.

Tatooine ran well for me except for the area right outside Mos Ila, where the speeders are.

Top Bottom