• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Blackface

Banned
No.

Your primary attribute takes care of everything. SWTOR simplifies it with regards to WoW - each class got their own attribute they stack, which effect all of their abilities, both damage and healing. It doesn't matter what type the attack is, what matters is your class.

Having said that Smuggler's mirror class - IA - has Aim for one advanced class, and Cunning for the other, so you might want to check. I think you made a mistake of gearing Cunning with Gunslinger.

Imperial Agent wants cunning 100 percent of the time regardless of AC.

Hawk269

Those of you that have not used the Anti Aliasing trick yet will be in for some great visual suprise come tomorrow morning when the new update comes out and allows you to add "IN-GAME" AA.

I did not realize how much of a difference it made until last night. I decided to add a SSD to my desktop, so I spent the evening last night wiping my other HDD's for a clean install once UPS deleivered my SSD. I also have a decent laptop and figured I would install SWTOR on it since I do have to go out of town for a meeting in a few weeks and a friend wanted to play last night.

So after installing all 3 disks, downloading all the updates and of course having to downgrade all the graphic options to get it to run decently (again, it is a decent laptop..lol). I noticed how horribly jagged the game looked. I was part of early start and had 2 days of beta only and from the get go I used the AA trick via that .ini setting at 8x, really seen the game without AA.

But dang how nice the game looks with even 4xaa and peformance hit was hardly anything. Even with my decent laptop, I was getting 25-35fps in the main city of Kass and after using 4xAA I still had the same amount of FPS. Now granted for my laptop I did turn down alot of stuff and shadows, but with that setting and comparing 4xaa vs. no aa, the fps hit was not noticable. I did run through the same areas and noted my FPS before and after as well and I think some of you will be suprised of how much better the game looks with a little AA.

That's false. ALL IA and ALL smugglers use Cunning. Aim is purely BH/trooper.

They all still gain from those other stats, but the 'primary' stat raises literally everything.
If you know a sniper that is gearing for aim, they're doing it wrong.

Trooper Storyline is great for where you're at. Keep going and it becomes generic action movie time. Still fun, but it does nothing compelling beyond act 1.

Imperial Agent wants cunning 100 percent of the time regardless of AC.

My bad then. Anyway, one point stands - the type of attack does not determine the stat to stack, only base class does.

Man I was really pumped about the idea of the mission discover schematics, but I just realized they're fucking shit. Having to re-use the schematic every single time you want to do the mission is fucking garbage.

Varna

Last night was the first time I've logged into the game and no one was in the GAF Republic guild. I hope the guild doesn't die after only a month....

This is pretty much what happened with the DCU GAF Guild. Seems like GAF moves onto the next things faster then most communities. The FF11/14 group is still going strong it seems though.

Any other gaffers on shadowtown?

1.1 Delayed. Per the developer tracker:

Hello everyone! Because we care about ensuring that Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ provides you with a consistent and quality game play experience, we will be postponing weekly maintenance this week. Downtime was originally scheduled for Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 from 2AM CST (12AM PST/3AM EST/8AM GMT/9AM CET) to 10AM CST (8AM PST/11AM EST/4PM GMT/5PM CET) and will now occur at a later date due to issues requiring additional testing that have been discovered with the Game Update 1.1 content on the Public Test Server.

These issues were primarily brought to our attention by the diligent players on the Public Test Server Forums. Your participation in testing helps to improve the game as a whole, and we appreciate your discussion and feedback. The bug reports you provide are a valuable part of the development process. Thank you!

We’re working hard to bring you Game Update 1.1: Rise of the Rakghouls and are working hard to ensure your overall experience with Star Wars: The Old Republic is spectacular! The maintenance window for Game Update 1.1 will be rescheduled for some time within the next few days, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. When there’s a definite time, we will post here on the forums as well as on the Community Blog. Please keep your eye out for updates, and we will provide information as soon as it’s available.

real reason

we forgot the monthly fees hadn't kicked in yet? you want more content for free? what?

:p

Wouldn't it make more sense to want to push that content now to potentially satisfy some of the "we have nothing to do" crowd 4 days before they have to pay for the first time?

I'm disappointed it's not tomorrow but I'm not going to complain if people are finding potentially major bugs on the ptr and they want to address them now. I'd imagine we'll get it Thursday barring further delay.

hamchan

Lol, somehow I'm underleveled for Belsavis. I don't PvP or do heroics but I do all the horrible bonus series at least :-/

Also 1.1 getting delayed freaking sucks.

Derrick01

Banned
This is pretty much what happened with the DCU GAF Guild. Seems like GAF moves onto the next things faster then most communities. The FF11/14 group is still going strong it seems though.

Empire gaf is still going pretty strong. It's common to see 25+ people on every night.

Sigfodr

I've been enjoying Empire GAF chat since I joined a few days ago.

Must not roll agent! Must wait to hit 50 with one character! Argh!

Is this Hutta? Nar Shadda?

Can someone help me understanding something about this item?

ix5k6.jpg

1) Given that the purple has 253 armor and the green has 235 armor, why does the comparison tooltip say that I lose 9 armor by replacing the green with the purple?

2) Why does it correctly display -2 Critical Rating, but says nothing about the +13 Defense Rating?

Tangentially related question: I use my companion (Corso) mostly for tanking. Given two pieces of equipment that are roughly the same, but one contains Defense Rating and one contains Absorption Rating, which should I prefer?

frequency

Last night was the first time I've logged into the game and no one was in the GAF Republic guild. I hope the guild doesn't die after only a month....

That's weird. I haven't been on since Friday, but even at like 3 AM EST, there were a fair amount of people online. The guild seems to be a bit chattier these days too. I felt it was pretty healthy.

I don't know how it is in comparison to Empire GAF though. I have a character on Empire that I play occasionally, but the guild search thing is broken so I can't actually find anyone in Empire GAF to invite.

Won

ix5k6.jpg

1) Given that the purple has 253 armor and the green has 235 armor, why does the comparison tooltip say that I lose 9 armor by replacing the green with the purple?

2) Why does it correctly display -2 Critical Rating, but says nothing about the +13 Defense Rating?

Tangentially related question: I use my companion (Corso) mostly for tanking. Given two pieces of equipment that are roughly the same, but one contains Defense Rating and one contains Absorption Rating, which should I prefer?

Many stat changes are simply bugged. The game probably only sees the green/blue version of the purple item in that case or something similar silly.

The game also doesn't seem to know how to display changes on off hand shield generators and power generators.

Heysoos

What time did you get on? The only time I've seen the GAF Republic Guild near empty was once when I stayed up until 5am(central). Even then, there were still like 5 on that time.

Mareg

awwww, I was looking forward to stop looking like Hulk with the weird green all over my toon. Guess I'll stay greenish for a while :(

frequency

So since I can't play right now, I started to read some things about SWTOR.
I have a character of every class (some I even have multiples of) except for Sith Warrior. I figure I shouldn't write them off just because I am opposed to the whole "evil for the sake of evil" thing. So I was planning to try one out the next time I played.

Then I got to looking at races. And I realized something. I always thought that Humans and Twileks were the most popular races and that was why I wasn't seeing anything else. Turns out I probably have been seeing other races... they just all share the same models. That's really disappointing... :-\

EDarkness

What time did you get on? The only time I've seen the GAF Republic Guild near empty was once when I stayed up until 5am(central). Even then, there were still like 5 on that time.

I don't know what the server time was, but it was around 10:30pm Japan time. Only my wife and I were on and it was a little strange. I'd like to see the guild remain strong. Not always possible, but it would be cool if it happened.

frequency

I don't know what the server time was, but it was around 10:30pm Japan time. Only my wife and I were on and it was a little strange. I'd like to see the guild remain strong. Not always possible, but it would be cool if it happened.

That's 8:30 AM EST. I think people are at work at that time. Or if they don't have work, they're still sleeping.

hamchan

I've been on Empire GAF around that time and only 2 people were on. That's the off-peak time for America so it's understandable.

Then I got to looking at races. And I realized something. I always thought that Humans and Twileks were the most popular races and that was why I wasn't seeing anything else. Turns out I probably have been seeing other races... they just all share the same models. That's really disappointing... :-\

The races they put in the game are all humanoid with regular bipedal bodies, they don't have any differences besides skin and head features.

The major problem is that the head gear in the game basically hides what race you are. Twilek puts on a helmet? Suddenly the Lekku go away. Zabrak? No more horns, and so on. Those with unique coloring and such, well it don't matter because armor covers it all.

Thinking of new classes they could add... hmm...

How about some kind of officer class? Could fill the "bard" niche with team buffs. Republic Captain, Imperial Captain.

Starfighter Pilot would be pretty nifty too, though not sure how it would fit.

Take a page from the pen and paper RPG when they added a new class, which was Droids. They could add a Droid class to the game, make it available to both side with a unique story for both or the sort. Instead of armor you get droid parts that change the way the droid looks.... would be awesome.

frequency

The races they put in the game are all humanoid with regular bipedal bodies, they don't have any differences besides skin and head features.

The major problem is that the head gear in the game basically hides what race you are. Twilek puts on a helmet? Suddenly the Lekku go away. Zabrak? No more horns, and so on. Those with unique coloring and such, well it don't matter because armor covers it all.

I'm bummed that they didn't even do something like height differences. It comes off to me as lazy and not wanting to put the effort/resources into making sure the armour looks alright on different models. Apparently all the races with hair share the same hairstyles too? Ugh.

A lot of the things missing/poorly done (imo) in this game come off as lazy when considering the huge budget and time they had. Considering that the Star Wars license means nothing to me, and I'm not particularly fond of BioWare, I don't know why I still like the game as much as I do. All I ever do is complain about it. But all I want to do is play more.

There's some sorcery at work here!

On a semi-related note: the more I think about MMOs and what I want out of them, the more depressed I get that FFXIV didn't work out. On paper, that game seems to have everything I'm looking for... but no matter how much I try and want to, I just don't like it. I'm sad now.

Lain

ix5k6.jpg

The game has a problem when it comes to comparing crafted item of superior quality that are gotten through RE.

The game has a problem when it comes to comparing crafted item of superior quality that are gotten through RE.

So you don't think it's because the "Level Required" of the green item is higher than the "Level Required" of the purple item? My theory was that maybe the game actually scales down the actual equipped stats of an item the farther you get from its required level. So like if you had a level 1 item with +10 Cunning, and a Level 50 item with +10 Cunning, that the level 50 item would actually give more Cunning.

I don't know if that's true or not, just the theory I had.

Ferny

GAF Empire usually always has 20+ on. I went on at 4AM and saw people chatting it up. I haven't been able to hop on that much lately because DOTA2 has it's hooks in me, but once 1.1 drops im back in full force.

bill0527

Starting to get more annoying bugs as I level up.

My latest one, I got to Voss yesterday and my companion just completely disappears. Her portrait is gone, but the crew window says she is there, but she isn't. I have to summon a different crew member and then re-summon her again to get her back. Happens almost every time I take a taxi somewhere and hop on and off my own personal speeder.

I also keep getting a bug where my reverse engineering selection completely disappears off the inventory tab and it won't reappear unless I open a cargo hold somewhere. This one happened a lot to me early on, then worked fine for 20 or so levels and now its back to happening almost every single time I open my inventory.

Also, does anyone know if there is a combination of keys you can hit that completely locks down your UI to any clicks at all? I was mid combat and all of a sudden my UI stopped completely responding except for what I had bound on keys 1-10 on my keyboard. I died and had to reboot the game completely to get it working again.

I know these aren't game breaking, but they are annoying and the numbers of them seem to be quickly adding up. I hope Bioware gets around to fixing them at some point. They probably aren't high priority since they aren't game breaking, but Bioware has a history of not giving a shit about a lot of the bugs in their games, sometimes even the game breaking ones - remember the Carth gamebreaking glitch in KOTOR 1? I was one of the first poor bastards that got hit with that one, and it was never fixed, at least on Xbox, not sure about PC.

frequency

GAF Empire usually always has 20+ on. I went on at 4AM and saw people chatting it up. I haven't been able to hop on that much lately because DOTA2 has it's hooks in me, but once 1.1 drops im back in full force.

I thought GAF Empire would be way more active than Republic based on the things I've heard on this thread.

Republic GAF usually has 20+ on in the (North American) evenings as well.

aett

The only humorous reference I've found to other forms of Star Wars media was on Alderaan -- in the cantina, they sell a drink called the "Holiday Special". (Oddly enough, it actually increased your out-of-combat healing and didn't cause status ailments or anything.)

Speaking of Alderaan, that's where I just arrived at with my Bounty Hunter. The BH story is pretty good, but I'll be so happy when chapter one ends. The Great Hunt is just going on forever. I wish that all of the bonus series missions didn't start until you were at least ten levels past the point when you left (like with Nar Shaddah), so that it doesn't feel like you're spending too much time on one planet.

Even though I'm having a good time playing a BH Merc, I keep getting the urge to play as an alt. If I do, it'll be a Smuggler on the GAF server. Hopefully it'll be possible to (sigh) pay for a server change soon so that I can move my BH there, too, and take advantage of the Legacy system when it starts in March.

Tacitus_

Also, does anyone know if there is a combination of keys you can hit that completely locks down your UI to any clicks at all? I was mid combat and all of a sudden my UI stopped completely responding except for what I had bound on keys 1-10 on my keyboard. I died and had to reboot the game completely to get it working again.

The game randomly locks up your UI so it doesn't register mouse clicks at all. First, have keybinds for your skills, secondly you can reload your UI without rebooting the game by pressing Ctrl+U twice.

TheYanger

The game randomly locks up your UI so it doesn't register mouse clicks at all. First, have keybinds for your skills, secondly you can reload your UI without rebooting the game by pressing Ctrl+U twice.

Yep, annoyed me in beta, annoys me in live, and if you don't know about Ctrl+U, it's completely crippling.

Top Bottom