• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

But hey, keep thinking youre a pro and you can solve all their problems better than they can even though you dont know the first thing about MMO deployment

Yes, I actually think I would be able to solve it better. As far as developers are concerned, history is full of examples of full-on stupidity in all aspects of game development. So your stance of "not an MMO developer, gtfo" has no merit.

Let me guess, you live in the US?

Patryn

It's always fun reading about how much a class I enjoy to play sucks.

Then again, from reading what I've read, I'm surprised that the JK does suck as bad as they suck.

Makes me wonder if Bioware felt that EVERYONE was going to go JK, so they overcompensated, and spent more time making the other classes better while neglecting the JK. (I also suspect that they didn't realize that everyone would want to go Sith rather than Republic, but that's another post).

Joke's on them, though. I find it hilarious that the JK has become the most reviled class in the game.

Yes, I actually think I would be able to solve it better..
lol. Do you know anything about hosting, data centers, or software development? Put another way - do you have ANY relevant skills to the problem at hand? "I work in IT" is not really relevant, unless maybe you work at a data center. Maybe.

So your stance of "not an MMO developer, gtfo" has no merit
it actually has plenty of merit. Anyone who admits to be confident they can solve a problem when they have no idea what the constraints of the problem are, or even why the problem exists, is defintely suspect.

Let me guess, you live in the US?

Relevant how? ive played MMOs for over a decade, and at least 2 have had patching times right smack in the middle of primetime. But im not 7, so i moved on with my life.

eznark

Banned
lol mounts should be removed from some areas imo. *cough fleet cough*

I'd rather they add them to all areas, or make the bullshit hangers smaller.

As a bounty hunter, should I really be focusing only on increasing my "aim" stat? Just reading some of the "newb" stuff over at the official forums and saw a stickied thread about it. I hit level 30 last night, I guess I should figure out how to play now.

As a bounty hunter, should I really be focusing only on increasing my "aim" stat? Just reading some of the "newb" stuff over at the official forums and saw a stickied thread about it. I hit level 30 last night, I guess I should figure out how to play now.

Each class has a primary stat that you will want to focus on, but everyone has a secondary stat as well that you will also want to raise as it compliments the character well.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Man, the official forums will make you want to slit your own throat sometimes. Love your class? Never visit the class forums. Ever. Never ever. It will make you feel like a terrible person

neoemonk

So I'm letting my sub lapse. I really liked the class quest stuff, but everything in between just felt like filler to me. It's not a bad game, but I spent too many years playing WoW to really get into it.

In PvE sure. (Healing spec is much more powerful than the DPS spec. Healers can do even Heroic 4s solo. If you are playing Operative solely PvE.. go heals.)

In PvP? No way.

In both PvE and PvP i feel powerful with my Sentinel.

This is completely wrong or you just have no idea how to play an Operative.

eznark

Banned
Man, the official forums will make you want to slit your own throat sometimes. Love your class? Never visit the class forums. Ever. Never ever. It will make you feel like a terrible person

I don't really play MMO's enough to get what some shit means though, so I kind of feel like I have to sometimes. "Daily" and "weekly", no idea. I mean, I get what they are, but not why I should care. Little stuff like that which has become second nature to genre vets had me looking for an "idiots guide to the mmo-specific shit you don't know."

As far as the exact right build and stuff? Meh, fuck the forums. I build my guy how I want to build him. I've only done one flashpoint so it's not like I'm hurting other peoples experiences by not building the most efficient character...which seems like zero fun. Why would you want every bounty hunter to be identical? pffffft

Torraz

So I'm letting my sub lapse. I really liked the class quest stuff, but everything in between just felt like filler to me. It's not a bad game, but I spent too many years playing WoW to really get into it.

Same for me. Im at 34 with 13 days remaining. Not sure if I should try to race to 50/end of class quest or not. I feel pretty content with the value Ive gotten for the money paid, but not willing to pay any more.

frequency

I'm debating on whether I'll resubscribe.
There is a lot to enjoy, but also a lot that bothers me - including the actual moment-to-moment gameplay. Last week, all I wanted to do was play more though.

But I didn't play this weekend because of PC stuff. And I haven't played this week yet. And as I am getting further away, I don't think I really feel the pull to keep playing anymore.

I still think about it a lot though... which is probably why I'm always in this thread. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The thing is, my problems with the game aren't fix/changeable. It's mostly with the core combat system... the reliance on companions (making everyone a pet class for leveling), and the balancing for that (everything is a group fight).

All my other issues could be fixed with expansions and content patches.

Zzoram

Former WoW players who find SWTOR too similar can try Star Trek Online F2P once their 30 days is up.

Delicious space ship combat.

LowParry

Uhm, i can set it to High , low or off

EDIT: and it works too, massive improvement between HIGH and OFF

Really? What kind of card ya got? I'll get in and try again here soon. Better not be some sort of "ATI issue". Mehhhh.

Edit: I see some minor differences. If that's all the AA we get that's a pretty shitty AA for a client.

Zafir

With reduced cool downs on the taunts, the mobs should be more managable. Tanking should not simply be easy mode press button and bam your tanking and everything sticks on you, players should be required to be active and constantly having to manage where the enemies are and keeping them on him instead of just drawing aggro and pressing aoe spam.

Biggest problem I have at high lvl with my Jug is that there usually is one mob that always will peel off and I'm stuck waiting for my CD's to come down to bring em back into the fold. The AOE taunt is short lasting but it has a ridiculously long CD, while other classes can spam AOE's much quicker
That would certainly help.

I'm not even sure we necessarily need more AoE honestly. I'm perfectly fine with not being able to tank a lot of mobs permitting we are the best at single target tanking. However at the moment that isn't really the case, the other tanking classes still do more damage thus have more threat(Which is why hardcore guilds don't want us).

Having tanked HMs and Operations, I haven't really had threat issues yet, but I fear it could become an issue once the DPS becomes better geared. If only because their damage scales a lot more with gear than mine does.

I suppose the solution to that would be to start wearing some DPS gear instead of full tanking gear. However that really shouldn't be necessary.

Anyway, on the subscription side of things. I got a cheaper 60 day time card from thehut, so I'll be playing until that runs out.

hamchan

I'll sub another month to finish off my Sith Warrior storyline and make some progress with Imperial Agent. After that I'll see if any of the other storylines are worth playing through before I resub.

That would certainly help.

I'm not even sure we necessarily need more AoE honestly. I'm perfectly fine with not being able to tank a lot of mobs permitting we are the best at single target tanking. However at the moment that isn't really the case, the other tanking classes still do more damage thus have more threat(Which is why hardcore guilds don't want us).

Having tanked HMs and Operations, I haven't really had threat issues yet, but I fear it could become an issue once the DPS becomes better geared. If only because their damage scales a lot more with gear than mine does.

I suppose the solution to that would be to start wearing some DPS gear instead of full tanking gear. However that really shouldn't be necessary.

Anyway, on the subscription side of things. I got a cheaper 60 day time card from thehut, so I'll be playing until that runs out.

Yea DPS and healers just get better and do their roles better, while tanks with gear just get harder to kill, but their job of holding aggro becomes harder.

eznark

Banned
I guess its time to see how badly both GAFs suffer with the free month coming up on expiration.

I'll keep going. I just hit 30 so I have a way to go to finish the story, which I am enjoying. By the time I finish that, I imagine there will be some pretty substantial changes to the game which might make me keep going.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and do some flashpoints. Hopefully there are enough guild people near 30 for that.

Well the SWTOR forums are gonna be lit up today, the changes of Ilum really puts off Pubs from even entering the area. I have a feeling its gonna turn into a ghost town :/

Daily - Gather 30 items/kill 30 ppl

Weekly - Gather 150 items/kill 150 ppl

The game annouces when you get close to one of the contested points, have already seen a zerg of imps camping the republic base...

Why I don't bother with GAF guilds. They often fall apart after the first free month of a MMO.

In this case, I don't think that's going to be something unique to the GAF guilds. The game is worth the $60 and free month, but I can't justify a subscription. The game impresses quickly, but I was getting bored with most of the content after about 30-40 odd levels and about three weeks of play (including early access). The honeymoon was over and so was I. Some interesting class content (a travesty Blizzard gave up on this), but mostly wiping out the same military camps, warehouses and caves with slightly random flavor text/dialogue beforehand.

Well the SWTOR forums are gonna be lit up today, the changes of Ilum really puts off Pubs from even entering the area. I have a feeling its gonna turn into a ghost town :/

Daily - Gather 30 items/kill 30 ppl

Weekly - Gather 150 items/kill 150 ppl

The game annouces when you get close to one of the contested points, have already seen a zerg of imps camping the republic base...

They are promoting players to actually kill each other... you know do pvp. People were going to Illum and not even fight

In this case, I don't think that's going to be something unique to the GAF guilds. The game is worth the $60 and free month, but I can't justify a subscription. The game impresses quickly, but I was getting bored with most of the content after about 30-40 odd levels and about three weeks of play (including early access). Some interesting class content (a travesty Blizzard gave up on this), but mostly wiping out the same military camps, warehouses and caves with slightly random flavor text/dialogue beforehand.

Doom and gloom!

They are promoting players to actually kill each other... you know do pvp. People were going to Illum and not even fight

O i understand that, its just that they arent accounting for server imbalances, I play my BH main with Gaf on KV, there were 13 imps to 2 pubs in the zone, no real chance of the pubs winning that fight and they just left. I'm hoping its because its still early so hopefully we'll get large groups from both sides involved, but things don't look good for pubs

Xiaoki

Well alright. The AA option is there but not able to enable. GG BW

It says its not enabled but it is.

AA - Low does nothing, its the same as off

AA - High is the same as 2x

Thats right, High AA is just 2x.

The long awaited implementation of AA and its 2x.

Really, BioWare. Just wow.

frequency

I want to reiterate how dumb I think splitting the player base into "factions" is. Especially for PvP purposes.

I know... lore and all that. But whatever. There are so many issues with balance and player scarcity and splitting content creation resources.

In this case, I don't think that's going to be something unique to the GAF guilds. The game is worth the $60 and free month, but I can't justify a subscription. The game impresses quickly, but I was getting bored with most of the content after about 30-40 odd levels and about three weeks of play (including early access). The honeymoon was over and so was I. Some interesting class content (a travesty Blizzard gave up on this), but mostly wiping out the same military camps, warehouses and caves with slightly random flavor text/dialogue beforehand.

I think this is where I'm at. Didn't get to a high level, as I switched over to a new character at around 21 of my first. I just picked up NHL 12, so I've been really sidetracked with that game since. Haven't signed on in two days. I think I may get to it this weekend, but definitely not worth a subscription to me, as I think I'm starting to lose interest in the structure/quest design. So far EVE is the only MMO that has engaged me for more than a month or two. Overall though, I had fun, and will play it until my current time runs out and go from there. It really had me in the beginning though, and like it a lot more than most MMOs I've played.

I want to reiterate how dumb I think splitting the player base into "factions" is. Especially for PvP purposes.

I know... lore and all that. But whatever. There are so many issues. Both with balance and player scarcity and splitting content creation resources.

Because World of Warcraft did it.

It was a huge mistake there too, but that's why it's in the game. WoW circa 2007 is the Bible.

Azzurri

I know... lore and all that. But whatever. There are so many issues with balance and player scarcity and splitting content creation resources.

That was the great thing about SWG, you started Neutral, then could go back and forth to Imp and Rebels, I switched myself a couple times.

hamchan

I really enjoyed the Horde vs Alliance in WoW. The Republic vs Sith dynamic I'm quite indifferent to because I barely see any any Republics at all. I wonder if it's because the quest design makes for little crossover between the two sides.

Blitzzz

I really enjoyed the Horde vs Alliance in WoW. The Republic vs Sith dynamic I'm quite indifferent to because I barely see any any Republics at all. I wonder if it's because the quest design makes for little crossover between the two sides.

I never randomly stumbled on imp base until Hoth.... it does feel quite segregated
I'm on PvE so it doesn't really matter

Imp population is a lot higher though :(

Ya. My first BG of the day as a lvl 40 sage > Most dmg with ~250k and most healing with ~100k. Thank you lvl 50 bracket !
can't wait to try this when I get home. lvl 42 myself and am sick of getting ripped apart

I never randomly stumbled on imp base until Hoth.... it does feel quite segregated
I'm on PvE so it doesn't really matter

Imp population is a lot higher though :(

Imp pop seems to be higher on every server. They need to start putting out incentives to get players to roll Republic.

Ricker

Is there a noticeable difference, perf or otherwise, between the in-client toggle and forcing AA through the .ini?

I never got it working through .ini,Inspector or forced in the advanced options of the NVidia panel but setting it on high this morning from in game is a huge difference for me,it looks so much better now,Alderaan was a jaggie mess before now it looks great...just a slight FPS loss though.

Yup, and WoW invented factions in MMO's.

People not fighting is PvP?

People have to group up to fight in PvP? Oh my god the horror. And spawns are protected areas on Illum.

Actually, ranged aoes work in the spawns... and yea this seems to be going down the road Aion did. Incentives for the low pop side should be coming soon lol

Stolen from the forums:

herpderp.jpg

Top Bottom