• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Varna

I'm at level 37 with my Marauder and love the playstyle. But with just 10 levels of Imperial Agent I can already see how much worse the class is.

At level 9 I already have...

3 high damage attacks that be be pretty much used without down time.
1 powerful AOE attack that recharges pretty damn quickly (and I'm sure skills will increase the effectiveness)
1 DOT attack
1 AOE stun attack and 1 single target stun attack

It takes 20+ levels of Marauder to even this kind of versatility. And even though Marauder is a pure DPS class I'm sure the damage they produce isn't even that much better.

frequency

I was getting sort of sick of my level 26 Sniper, so I rolled an alt Sith Inquisitor. I made it to level 10 really quickly and opted for the Sorcerer advanced class and the difference in difficulty between the Sniper and Sorc is crazy. I'm sure some of it is being familiar with the game now, but being able to heal and having access to a tank companion right away makes it kind of easy to steamroll through stuff. By comparison the Sniper feels way more deliberate and slow going. I kind of wish I had started with a Sorcerer first, and I really wish I had gone for Operative instead of Sniper for my Imperial Agent. Ah well. Say hi if you see a Sorc named Mishima on Keller's Void.

I had the exact same experience, but on Republic side (Gunslinger > Sage). With my Sage, I was kind of careless and sometimes pulled 2 - 3 groups from things spawning on top of me or whatever and I was able to heal through it and be fine. On my Gunslinger, if I ever have more than 1 group, I'm basically dead.

I wish I went Scoundrel too (the counterpart to Operative). I have an IA Operative and it plays much better. Stabbing things with giant knives and leaving it sticking in the enemy is oddly satisfying. Stealth and healing is also very useful.

gatti-man

So with a lesser system you are getting a solid 60 on Aldeeran with x4 AA, x2 TrAA and the LOD tweaks?

The most frustrating thing for me is that there is basically nothing I can do other then wait (or try a reformat... but there is no way it would make a different right?). I've tried running on stock low and get the exact same kind of drops. I've done literally everything I could possibly do.

Havent visited alderan since lod but all other things? Yes.

Do the sli tweaks i posted and see if they help.

I never thought there could be an instance worse than the Oculus. Then I went to Colicoid War Games.

I ran through that with some GAFers on the republic side. We wiped the first 4 times we tried the Starship Troopers sections before we passed it. Then we slowly made our way through the switch/forcefield section after people got randomly knocked off the side.

Worst Flashpoint by far.

bill0527

So I guess tomorrow ends the first free 30-day window for those that bought on launch day.

Does that mean the haters and amount of garbage on the official forums will disappear or at least be greatly reduced?

Somehow I doubt it.

rockx4

So I guess tomorrow ends the first free 30-day window for those that bought on launch day.

Does that mean the haters and amount of garbage on the official forums will disappear or at least be greatly reduced?

Somehow I doubt it.

No, since both sides of the SWToR forums sucks ass. Both fanboys are haters are retarded on those forums.

Won

Somehow I doubt it.

I hope not. I like the entertainment.

Stealth and healing is also very useful.

Yeah, definitely. If I had known from the start just how useful those two skills would be, I'd have gone for Operative, no question. I still like the Sniper as a class, but progress feels slow when you solo as one. It doesn't help that Kaliyo is pretty squishy. It'd have been nice if the first companion was a tank instead.

Prodigal

Banned
I feel like I'm not using the nvidia inspector correctly...I've made some AA and LOD tweaks and I haven't really noticed any difference at all. Guess I'll have to mess with it some more tomorrow.

bakeray

datacron2.jpg
+10... yeah!

UltraMav

So my buddy who is level 50 Jedi Knight (Guardian) just got told he won't be allowed to join any raids or hard mode Flashpoints unless he re-specs to a Tank. He is understandably frustrated as he has spent the entire endgame grinding for DPS PvP gear. Is this JK DPS discrimination common? Are they really that terrible?

Sent

So my buddy who is level 50 Jedi Knight (Guardian) just got told he won't be allowed to join any raids or hard mode Flashpoints unless he re-specs to a Tank. He is understandably frustrated as he has spent the entire endgame grinding for DPS PvP gear. Is this JK DPS discrimination common? Are they really that terrible?

Yes it is common thanks to BW taking up the exact same MMO formula everything else has. So Guardian has a tanking tree, everyone assumes they can't do damage. Well until someone gets a combat log to prove it they're dumb. Best solution is to find some other people to roll with.

gatti-man

Sounds like your buddy plays with some a-holes.

UltraMav

Yes it is common thanks to BW taking up the exact same MMO formula everything else has. So Guardian has a tanking tree, everyone assumes they can't do damage. Well until someone gets a combat log to prove it they're dumb. Best solution is to find some other people to roll with.

Yeah the GM was saying that they do 35% damage less DPS than other classes on average and I was I didn't understand where he got those numbers without a combat log. Did BioWare say anything about it?

It just kind of sucks 'cause we let our small guild be absorbed into a large hardcore raiding guild in order to... raid, and now he's being denied. I bought this primarily to play with him. If we go back to our old guild we won't have enough to do any raids without some serious recruitment, and recruiting people for such a small operation is almost hopeless.

Maybe we should just try to get involved with another, less stringent large guild.

INTERNET DRAMA

Sounds like your buddy plays with some a-holes.

Well when he was spending his time trying to convince me to merge guilds he sure was a nice guy! Ironically even offered "guaranteed raid spots". :p

Sent

BW says all DPS specced classes should do within 5% damage of each other. We can't prove that and neither can that guild leader lol. I wonder whose word you should take :p

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Wow the Imperial Fleet is a lot nicer looking than Republic.

I'm more amazed at that number - 260 in one place?!

In all my time on Keller's Void Republic, I've never been in an instance with more than about 175 people. Most the time it's below 100. I'm jealous!

Ramirez

The past two nights I've been to Taris, which had 5 total people on it, and then tonight on Hoth there was one other guy besides me. Depressing when you want to do a Heroic...

I hate my friend for rolling on this garb server. :|

The past two nights I've been to Taris, which had 5 total people on it, and then tonight on Hoth there was one other guy besides me. Depressing when you want to do a Heroic...

I'm on Whitebeam Run and it's pretty much just as empty besides the lower level planets. Leveling my JK I was usually the only one on the higher level planets. Gets more populated on the weekends though.

Ramirez

I'm on Whitebeam Run and it's pretty much just as empty besides the lower level planets. Leveling my JK I was usually the only one on the higher level planets. Gets more populated on the weekends though.

I did a search on Hutta/Korriban and it was 10/15, and the Fleet showed 19 people. What the hell? lol

This was at like 9-10 EST...

Valnen

Level 32 Sith Juggernaut. Still run into combat lag, especially in PvP and certain parts of each world. It completely ruins the enjoyment of the game for me at times. If they can't fix this issue, lots of people will quit.

However, because of the story I can forgive this. For now. I won't be so forgiving if the combat lag is still there in 6 months. Maybe less, we'll see how much my patience holds out.

Once combat lag is fixed however...this will be a game of the gods. I will see no reason to play any other MMO...not even from Blizzard. That should say a lot if anyone knows how much I like Blizzard games.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Level 32 Sith Juggernaut. Still run into combat lag, especially in PvP and certain parts of each world. It completely ruins the enjoyment of the game for me at times. If they can't fix this issue, lots of people will quit.

However, because of the story I can forgive this. For now. I won't be so forgiving if the combat lag is still there in 6 months. Maybe less, we'll see how much my patience holds out.

Once combat lag is fixed however...this will be a game of the gods. I will see no reason to play any other MMO...not even from Blizzard. That should say a lot if anyone knows how much I like Blizzard games.

Log into wow and see how polished it is. There's a list of improvements it needs and I expect over time. Combat is the only one that majorly ruins fun tho like you said tho.

#2, fix the camera.

Titan will be pretty damn polished I bet, but I don't think it'll try to directly compete with your current quest/raid/pvp mmo. Mainly because they said such when asked how it'd mesh with wow.

Valnen

Log into wow and see how polished it is. There's a list of improvements it needs and I expect over time. Combat is the only one that majorly ruins fun tho like you said tho.

#2, fix the camera.

Titan will be pretty damn polished I bet, but I don't think it'll try to directly compete with your current quest/raid/pvp mmo. Mainly because they said such when asked how it'd mesh with wow.

I'm expecting Titan to be an MMO FPS with almost no PvE content. Would round out Blizzards portfolio of games quite nicely on the RPG front. One mainly PvP, one mainly PvE, and one with both.

Yeah the GM was saying that they do 35% damage less DPS than other classes on average and I was I didn't understand where he got those numbers without a combat log. Did BioWare say anything about it?

It just kind of sucks 'cause we let our small guild be absorbed into a large hardcore raiding guild in order to... raid, and now he's being denied. I bought this primarily to play with him. If we go back to our old guild we won't have enough to do any raids without some serious recruitment, and recruiting people for such a small operation is almost hopeless.

Maybe we should just try to get involved with another, less stringent large guild.

INTERNET DRAMA

Well when he was spending his time trying to convince me to merge guilds he sure was a nice guy! Ironically even offered "guaranteed raid spots". :p

You only need 8 people to raid, I would say fuck that asshole guild and just find another small group of people who want to raid. We run with a jugg who is speced dps most of the time and going by one of the encounters in Eternity Vault where everyone has to solo a mob his dps is fine, some other dps classes finish first but nothing major.

Yup, today I'm rerolling on Freedon Nad. I'm Trooper lvl 36, but that is only a couple of days of intense levelling. I'm sick of my server having 10-15 people on each planet, you can never find a group doing Heroics.

squidyj

Are people saying the same about Shadows and Assassins?

Tacitus_

You only need 8 people to raid, I would say fuck that asshole guild and just find another small group of people who want to raid. We run with a jugg who is speced dps most of the time and going by one of the encounters in Eternity Vault where everyone has to solo a mob his dps is fine, some other dps classes finish first but nothing major.

Normal mode EV isn't really a dps check.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
7 hours! ..maybe..

Got a small download just now after downloading a larger and small one an hour ago.

It's weird you have to login to download and that they keep login servers up.

Lain

Yeah, definitely. If I had known from the start just how useful those two skills would be, I'd have gone for Operative, no question. I still like the Sniper as a class, but progress feels slow when you solo as one. It doesn't help that Kaliyo is pretty squishy. It'd have been nice if the first companion was a tank instead.

Kaliyo is a tank though. She wears heavy armor, has taunts (single and aoe) and abilities that generate high threat, she uses a shield. She might look squishy with no heals to keep her up, but she's definitely a tank.

Pride

I'm a lvl 40 BH Merc playing on a PVP server. I've played MMO's for over a decade with my first and favorite being Asheron's Call (I even demo'd Meridian 59 at computer stores way back in the day but I digress). Here are my general observations about the game with things I'd like to see improved and things I think Bioware did right:

Needs Improved:
- Travel: The travel in the game is mind-numbing. While I understand what the developers are going for, having to go to an orbital station before going to the planet is a waste of time. Also mounts are not allowed to be used in a large number of areas. IMHO the number of places mounts are allowed should be greatly increased and some orbital stations should be removed.
- Fluid Combat: Both PVP & PVE combat suffers from lag disruption. While annoying in PVE, it will keep PVP from reaching it's full potential unless fixed.
- Open World PVP: Since this only applies to a portion of the fan base I dont think this will be addressed for sometime but not only is Open World PVP pointless it's really just a game of jump someone who is fighting a MOB.
- Mission varieties (Class Story Line not included): No amount of VO in the world can disguise the rinse & repeat mission types the game uses. I found myself skipping through several cut scenes for side missions just so I could get the instructions of go kill X and return.
- No Combat Log: This just boggles the mind.
- Minor Gripes: Make daily mission icons a different color, allow key word searches across multiple categories (currently you can't do a key word search until you select the category and sub-category), no macro language support, companion affection (dont make me bribe my companion with gifts just because her and I dont see eye to eye on the dialog tree I choose), and graphics issues.

Things I am enjoying:
- Class Story Lines: They arent going to win any awards for writing but it's nice to know if I decide to roll another character I will have a whole new story to enjoy as I level.
- Crafting: I was never a big crafter but I enjoy the metagame of keeping my staff busy working to build my own private enterprise. While they are out getting materials and making stuff for me I can spend more time running from my ship to the elevator to outside the station so I can finally get on my mount.
- Future Space Combat: First, I dont hate the current space combat. Its a great break from the rinse & repeat mission types. However space missions could be a lot more than on rail shooters. Im looking forward to PVP space missions and free roaming space missions as it could really be something a whole segment of the population would dive into.

Just my 2 cents.

hamchan

They should add some more background music with these long travel times. Right now I just play my own music so I can listen to something instead of nothing as I travel through these empty feeling environments. Then I just alt-tab and pause when it's time for a convo or a boss battle, which has some great music like Duel of Fates.

Top Bottom