• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Izayoi

Banned
At this point I've just taken to muting the game outright. 200+ hours of "Ladies and gentlebeings" will do that to you I guess. :|

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So my buddy who is level 50 Jedi Knight (Guardian) just got told he won't be allowed to join any raids or hard mode Flashpoints unless he re-specs to a Tank. He is understandably frustrated as he has spent the entire endgame grinding for DPS PvP gear. Is this JK DPS discrimination common? Are they really that terrible?

Jedi Guardian DPS is...interesting and frustrating. At this point in time, the other classes just do it better because of the way a Guardian must set up his damage with combos. The Vengence tree is not bad for single target DPS but it contains a lot of weird DoTs and really lacks a marquee hard hitting skill. Going up the Force tree, you use combos to set up Force Sweep which then becomes the "big hitter" as you use combos to up the damage with bonuses to crit dmg and automatic criticals.

The problem is, while you're setting up these combos, other classes are out damaging the Guardian quite easily over a steady rate.

As a result, the Guardian lags behind.

I'm not saying the Guardian can't be a damage dealer but Bioware really fucked up their talents by putting stuff all over the place.

So, if your friend joined a hardcore guild, I'm not surprised they won't let him in. He will simply lag behind.

zugzug

Only if they double the sprint speed there. Or just make the vendor alcoves mountfree.

I would totally buy a Death Knight speed increase on fleets, just seeing mounts on fleets makes me want to punch a new age Gamer who thinks its ok.

you stupid new gaming punks are ruining my games. :p

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I'm at level 37 with my Marauder and love the playstyle. But with just 10 levels of Imperial Agent I can already see how much worse the class is.

At level 9 I already have...

3 high damage attacks that be be pretty much used without down time.
1 powerful AOE attack that recharges pretty damn quickly (and I'm sure skills will increase the effectiveness)
1 DOT attack
1 AOE stun attack and 1 single target stun attack

It takes 20+ levels of Marauder to even this kind of versatility. And even though Marauder is a pure DPS class I'm sure the damage they produce isn't even that much better.
My first character was an Operative and after finishing my class story i started up a Jedi Sentinel (Marauder mirror) and i have almost the opposite feeling. Even sub-20 i feel much more powerful as a Jedi Sentinel than i ever did as an Operative, in PvE or PvP. In Warzones it took me 36 levels before i felt useful as an Op.. as a JS at level 10 i did more damage than my pre-36 Op and had much more utility and survivability than my 50 Op could ever dream of.

In PvE i cant even think of any IA skills that i miss, maybe Stealth. With my Sentinel i kill things so quickly and even burning through the Jedi equivalent of Fury i cant pull aggro from my first companion.

Maybe things will change after 30 but as it is right now my character feels powerful which is something that took 36-40 levels of DPS Operative to achieve.

edit:
i also want to say that ive had no problems. The only time ive died was to the lightsaber boss but that was because i had not trained like 5 levels worth of skills and i refuse to use medpacs (i almost got him). The second try i did get him without training or using a medpac. At level 10 i was rocking some purple hilts (like 1k credits per) in my lightsabers which were a full +20 damage over the closest lvl 10 equivalent. The best thing is i got two Orange lightsabers from the story so there was no need to go in search for some.

Sullen

My first character was an Operative and after finishing my class story i started up a Jedi Sentinel (Marauder mirror) and i have almost the opposite feeling. Even sub-20 i feel much more powerful as a Jedi Sentinel than i ever did as an Operative, in PvE or PvP. In Warzones it took me 36 levels before i felt useful as an Op.. as a JS at level 10 i did more damage than my pre-36 Op and had much more utility and survivability than my 50 Op could ever dream of.

In PvE i cant even think of any IA skills that i miss, maybe Stealth. With my Sentinel i kill things so quickly and even burning through the Jedi equivalent of Fury i cant pull aggro from my first companion.

Maybe things will change after 30 but as it is right now my character feels powerful which is something that took 36-40 levels of DPS Operative to achieve.

What? operative is insanely powerful from the start. It is also one of the strongest solo classes in the game. The only thing close to it in power is a sith sorcerer. Even then the operative still has more CC.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
What? operative is insanely powerful from the start. It is also one of the strongest solo classes in the game. The only thing close to it in power is a sith sorcerer. Even then the operative still has more CC.
In PvE sure. (Healing spec is much more powerful than the DPS spec. Healers can do even Heroic 4s solo. If you are playing Operative solely PvE.. go heals.)

In PvP? No way.

In both PvE and PvP i feel powerful with my Sentinel.

Realyn

woot, servers still down - how long more ?

edit: wtf 4 more hours? :[ Was it allways so long? Never had time to play early on a patch day yet.

In PvE sure. (Healing spec is much more powerful than the DPS spec. Healers can do even Heroic 4s solo. If you are playing Operative solely PvE.. go heals.)

While this might be true, I was bored out of my mind just doing 2+, no way I want to waste my time to slog through Heroic 4. On high population server you shouldn't have that problem.

Kintaro

In PvP? No way.

In both PvE and PvP i feel powerful with my Sentinel.

In PVP an Operative/Scoundrel will smoke a Sentinel before their CC runs out.

Marauders are my favorite targets in PVP as a Gunslinger. So squishy.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
In PVP an Operative/Scoundrel will smoke a Sentinel before their CC runs out.
It takes 36 levels to get that 3 second stun attack (it also sets Resolve to maximum so if they pop out of that its all over). And you wont be smoking anyone until 50 and geared out. And even then if the person you are attacking is 50 and full health you arent going to get them. The only people that fall like that are half-health people and lowbies. Or my favorite lowbies with low health.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
woot, servers still down - how long more ?

edit: wtf 4 more hours? :[ Was it allways so long? Never had time to play early on a patch day yet.
Weekly maintenance is going to be 8 hours, unless they are delays. Looks like they did 4 one week.

Until this past year, since they seem to do it ever other week now, WoW had weekly 6-8 hour maintances. Patch days could always have delays. And all of this wasn't done on the same day as Europe.

Kintaro

It takes 36 levels to get that 3 second stun attack (it also sets Resolve to maximum so if they pop out of that its all over). And you wont be smoking anyone until 50 and geared out. And even then if the person you are attacking is 50 and full health you arent going to get them. The only people that fall like that are half-health people and lowbies. Or my favorite lowbies with low health.

Guess what? Don't have to worry about 50s anymore. =) But yes, you'll still get fucked. Snares, roots and knockbacks do NOT affect Resolve. Also, the resolve bar is bugged to show 800 when CC immunity begins at 1000 (you only see it draining when it hits 800 on the drain). So, while Hidden Strike may fill your Resolve bar, it doesn't reach MAX resolve because max resolve can not be seen and you/will be CC'd again. Or rooted. Or snared. Or knocked back.

Realyn

Weekly maintenance is going to be 8 hours, unless they are delays. Looks like they did 4 one week.

Until this past year, since they seem to do it ever other week now, WoW had weekly 6-8 hour maintances. Patch days could always have delays. And all of this wasn't done on the same day as Europe.

Out of curiosity: I played WoW from beta till the first world event in the dessert and can´t remember weekly maintance. Is it just me or did they start this "weekly on a fixed date" thing later?

Zafir

Jedi Guardian DPS is...interesting and frustrating. At this point in time, the other classes just do it better because of the way a Guardian must set up his damage with combos. The Vengence tree is not bad for single target DPS but it contains a lot of weird DoTs and really lacks a marquee hard hitting skill. Going up the Force tree, you use combos to set up Force Sweep which then becomes the "big hitter" as you use combos to up the damage with bonuses to crit dmg and automatic criticals.

The problem is, while you're setting up these combos, other classes are out damaging the Guardian quite easily over a steady rate.

As a result, the Guardian lags behind.

I'm not saying the Guardian can't be a damage dealer but Bioware really fucked up their talents by putting stuff all over the place.

So, if your friend joined a hardcore guild, I'm not surprised they won't let him in. He will simply lag behind.
Yeah, the talent trees are pretty awful.

I've heard that some hardcore guilds don't want Guard/Jug tanks, too. Not surprised, but still sad. I'm not really bothered about joining any hardcore guild though, I play for fun these days.

Kintaro

Yeah, the talent trees are pretty awful.

I've heard that some hardcore guilds don't want Guard/Jug tanks, too. Not surprised, but still sad. I'm not really bothered about joining any hardcore guild though, I play for fun these days.

JK/SW have a very tough time handling groups due to shitty AoE skills. Since FPs and Operations are full of these packs, I can see hardcore guilds not wanting to bother.

Hardcore guilds are min/maxers. They want the easiest path from A --> B. So, there's no surprise there.

CzarTim

Guess what? Don't have to worry about 50s anymore. =) But yes, you'll still get fucked. Snares, roots and knockbacks do NOT affect Resolve. Also, the resolve bar is bugged to show 800 when CC immunity begins at 1000 (you only see it draining when it hits 800 on the drain). So, while Hidden Strike may fill your Resolve bar, it doesn't reach MAX resolve because max resolve can not be seen and you/will be CC'd again. Or rooted. Or snared. Or knocked back.

I believe it does, but only if they happen after an 8 second stun?

Again, it's mind-numbing stupid Europe gets it IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY! Don't tell me about any technical shit, the moment it was pitched to developers someone should've said: "Are you high?".

Kintaro

I believe it does, but only if they happen after an 8 second stun?

Nope. They do not. They have no affect on resolve.

I've had it happen to me and I've done it to other. I can root an "immune" player no problem. I can slow them with Shock Grenades as well. Never looked when I use pulse since when I use it I'm either "OH GOD GET AWAY" or knocking some fool into fire in Hutball. =D

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Again, it's mind-numbing stupid Europe gets it IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY! Don't tell me about any technical shit, the moment it was pitched to developers someone should've said: "Are you high?".
My point is they are doing NA and Europe in the same amount of time Blizzard spent on one region. So besides in the inconvenience of your time zone, I'm wondering about delays.

Tho, I guess it would make sense for each to have their own teams.

Out of curiosity: I played WoW from beta till the first world event in the dessert and can´t remember weekly maintance. Is it just me or did they start this "weekly on a fixed date" thing later?
http://vnboards.ign.com/world_of_warcraft_general_board/b19789/81027261/p1
Also found something from a month earlier talking about weekly maintenance. And then the month before that WoW launched.

In 2006 they announced some kind of "live maintenance" but I still see people talking about weekly maintenance in later years.

http://vnboards.ign.com/world_of_warcraft_general_board/b19789/81027261/p1
Also found something from a month earlier talking about weekly maintenance. And then the month before that WoW launched.

In 2006 they announced some kind of "live maintenance" but I still see people talking about weekly maintenance in later years.

Weekly Maintenance on Tuesday/Wednesday was going all the time at least till WotLK.

Opening of Ahn'Qirai, that was patch 1.9 I believe, January 2006. Not only was maintenance every week, at that point WoW still had servers dying for 3-4 days at a time.

My first MMO was Guild Wars, which doesn't have any official downtime at all (if there's a patch, you just get a message that you need to restart the game, and then everything is streamed in when you need it), so I was pretty surprised when I saw that games like WoW, and now SWTOR, have such long weekly down time. And yes, having it in the middle of the day, does not seem very smart, especially now the maintenance was postponed a day. If you already had planned around it for the original day, now you get another day of not being able to play.

Realyn

Yeah but thats what I mean. I remember patches being kinda random and not every Wednesday.
But like I said - prolly just bad memory :).

CzarTim

Nope. They do not. They have no affect on resolve.

I've had it happen to me and I've done it to other. I can root an "immune" player no problem. I can slow them with Shock Grenades as well. Never looked when I use pulse since when I use it I'm either "OH GOD GET AWAY" or knocking some fool into fire in Hutball. =D
I'm certain your wrong, I just don't have the specifics. I've been stunned and then knocked back to have my resolve bar go white.

JK/SW have a very tough time handling groups due to shitty AoE skills. Since FPs and Operations are full of these packs, I can see hardcore guilds not wanting to bother.

Hardcore guilds are min/maxers. They want the easiest path from A --> B. So, there's no surprise there.

They should greatly reduce the cooldowns on the taunt and aoe "taunt" for these classes. Too often without enough CC, it becomes a mess of having to wait for the CD's to pop while mobs peel off.

Non simultaneous patches are difficult, feel free to reject that premise until the cows come home, but its a fact

Darklord

Banned

Kira Carsen

* Fixed an issue that caused players to be unable to progress in Kira's affection conversations. Players previously affected by this issue can now speak to Kira and progress normally.

WAT. They made a post saying they included that fix for ALL companions. Then they go back to just fixing Kira? Fuck sake.

Edit: Fucking weak. They deleted the thread with the extra patch notes. Poor form, Bioware!

You mean difficult like it's 2004 again?

Like i said, feel free to reject it all you want. Thats the way it is, and whining about it isnt going to solve anything.

Comparing to WoW is moronic - WoW didnt have separated patches at launch either IIRC, and comparing this to a game thats been in development for almost 10 years is idiotic

Like i said, feel free to reject it all you want. Thats the way it is, and whining about it isnt going to solve anything.

Comparing to WoW is moronic - WoW didnt have separated patches at launch either IIRC, and comparing this to a game thats been in development for almost 10 years is idiotic

It's not. 8 years ago network infrastructure was way less complex, etc. I'm complaining not because this is "my opinion", but because this is a moronic and stupid design idea, which makes you think how that clusterfuck got past concept stage.

So they didn't fix Corso's stupid grapple move being re-enabled every time you re-summon him/load/change zones/look in his direction?

It wasn't a corso bug, it happened with ALL companions and their abiities resetting. It is in the patch notes that it shouldn't happen anymore.

They should greatly reduce the cooldowns on the taunt and aoe "taunt" for these classes. Too often without enough CC, it becomes a mess of having to wait for the CD's to pop while mobs peel off.

They need more than that, because as soon as those wear off the mobs will go back to attacking the dps spamming aoe.

Maybe rework a passive skill or something that makes you generate threat every time you parry/deflect.

Something should be changed.

It's not. 8 years ago network infrastructure was way less complex, etc. I'm complaining not because this is "my opinion", but because this is a moronic and stupid design idea, which makes you think how that clusterfuck got past concept stage.

In fact, it actually IS your opinion that it is a moronic decision. Maybe we have different definitions of the word opinion.

It got past design because non simultaneous patches are:

1) more expensive
2) run a higher risk of causing further delay in one or all of the areas being patched
3) run a higher risk of exploits in yet-unpatched regions being discovered by people who examined the binary code differences between patched and unpatched versions.
4) create issues in any shared data used by all regions (yes, there is almost certainly some)

But hey, keep thinking youre a pro and you can solve all their problems better than they can even though you dont know the first thing about MMO deployment

frequency

It wasn't a corso bug, it happened with ALL companions and their abiities resetting. It is in the patch notes that it shouldn't happen anymore.

Ah I see. I guess I just didn't notice it with other companions. It's just that one move on Corso, so maybe it was a different and more useful ability for the other companions that I didn't bother to turn off. Thank you.

Regarding taunt. I don't think anything should be changed about the tanking and threat generation in this game. Don't change cool down timers, effectiveness, anything. DPS needs to learn to DPS within the confines of threat. It's not about stupid high numbers - it's about maximizing damage without hindering the tank. That's what sets apart good and bad DPS players. Don't dumb down threat management. I'm afraid it'll eventually turn out like WoW where it doesn't even matter if they make it easier.

Controlling yourself is a large part of what makes DPS fun. Just going all out all the time without worrying about anything makes it mind-numbingly dull. That's how "rotations" and stupid concepts like that come into play. When it's no longer about tactical decisions on how much to output, and it's all about pressing buttons to a set pattern - which requires like no thought.

Ah I see. I guess I just didn't notice it with other companions. It's just that one move on Corso, so maybe it was a different and more useful ability for the other companions that I didn't bother to turn off. Thank you.

Regarding taunt. I don't think anything should be changed about the tanking and threat generation in this game. Don't change cool down timers, effectiveness, anything. DPS needs to learn to DPS within the confines of threat. It's not about stupid high numbers - it's about maximizing damage without hindering the tank. That's what sets apart good and bad DPS players. Don't dumb down threat management. I'm afraid it'll eventually turn out like WoW where it doesn't even matter if they make it easier.

Controlling yourself is a large part of what makes DPS fun. Just going all out all the time without worrying about anything makes it mind-numbingly dull. That's how "rotations" and stupid concepts like that come into play. When it's no longer about tactical decisions on how much to output, and it's all about pressing buttons to a set pattern - which requires like no thought.

I would agree about the not changing the taunts and such, but the problem is the other tanks in the game don't have to deal with this, they have easier time controlling mobs from a distance, and other players rather have those tanks over guardians/juggernaughts since they feel more secure that those tanks will hold aggro.

They need more than that, because as soon as those wear off the mobs will go back to attacking the dps spamming aoe.

Maybe rework a passive skill or something that makes you generate threat every time you parry/deflect.

Something should be changed.

With reduced cool downs on the taunts, the mobs should be more managable. Tanking should not simply be easy mode press button and bam your tanking and everything sticks on you, players should be required to be active and constantly having to manage where the enemies are and keeping them on him instead of just drawing aggro and pressing aoe spam.

Biggest problem I have at high lvl with my Jug is that there usually is one mob that always will peel off and I'm stuck waiting for my CD's to come down to bring em back into the fold. The AOE taunt is short lasting but it has a ridiculously long CD, while other classes can spam AOE's much quicker

Top Bottom