• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Choc

Banned
Level 32 BH. I ran to to Illum see if it was possible to take advantage of the valor situation. Turns out factions are pretty balanced on my server and Illum seemed to be going back and forth for the most part.

this would make a rollback less likely because they cant just cream servers that dont have the issue

I just wish they would pay more attention to fixing the game's framerate and unresponsive spells/buttons than adding raid content and fucking around with the PVP shit.

Thoraxes

this would make a rollback less likely because they cant just cream servers that dont have the issue

I wonder if they ever considered having a rollback contingency plan for anything ever in the first place.

I just wish they would pay more attention to fixing the game's framerate and unresponsive spells/buttons than adding raid content and fucking around with the PVP shit.
I agree. I think they would've been better off letting the game actually be live (exc. EA)/released (retail) for longer 1 month before trying to do content patches.

frequency

I took like a 2 week or so break from my Gunslinger. Going back to it now, I feel a lot better. I remember having a horrid experience when I last played it but everything went nice and smooth in my play session tonight.

I also cleaned up my bars a little bit. I really only key bind like 6 abilities now. The rest are bound, but I just click them because it's more comfortable. I don't use those that often anyway so it's not a huge deal.

I still think having like 40-48 abilities in 50 levels is way too much, but it's more manageable now that I told myself I don't care what the proper skills to use are. I'll just use what I feel works for me.

Rolling half way across the map into a pre-set cover point and aggro-ing 15 things in the process still sucks though.
I also realized how much I missed Corso... Other companions on other classes are bleh. I wish I flirted with Corso now. Can I still romance him if I skipped a lot of the flirt options? He's like half way to full affection.

Zafir

I'd also like some performance tweaks. For the brief period I did go to Ilum today, my FPS was in the gutter outside the republic base where everyone was.

Won

The game was like "fuck, I'm outta here" for a moment yesterday on Ilum and showed me that one loading screen while looking at the big battle.

Lain

Turning off Taxi's and patching the fix tomorrow morning is an inability to act? Really?

Yeah? The fix should have been patched in today. It should have been patched as soon as they discovered the problem, which should have been pretty soon as I'm sure people started complaining right away about what was going on. They shouldn't be waiting tomorrow, that's the point.

Yeah? The fix should have been patched in today. It should have been patched as soon as they discovered the problem, which should have been pretty soon as I'm sure people started complaining right away about what was going on. They shouldn't be waiting tomorrow, that's the point.

It's not like they have a magic "fix it" button, these things take time and at least a minimal amount of testing, right?

Choc

Banned

Rolling a patch without testing it doesnt break other things sounds like an awesome idea......

Zafir

The game was like "fuck, I'm outta here" for a moment yesterday on Ilum and showed me that one loading screen while looking at the big battle.
I've been getting that random loading screen a lot since the patch, not just on Ilum. :/

Thoraxes

They should've taken servers offline till it was fixed and reimburse players for the lost time, just like every other company does it.

Wedge7

Yea, I actually cancelled a few days ago as well, not due to any recent issues, just not having that much fun with the game.

Though I can understand how you would be pissed about the suddenly mysterious "missing" cancel button. It'll probably be conveniently up again after the billing cycle goes into effect again.

Lain

It's not like they have a magic "fix it" button, these things take time and at least a minimal amount of testing, right?

Rolling a patch without testing it doesnt break other things sounds like an awesome idea......

They don't have a fix it button, but probably bringing down the servers and making ilum unavailable would have been better than letting it continue today (until they removed the Taxi), that's all I meant. I said they don't act swiftly (and I wasn't even referring to today's event anyways, but more in general) and telling me they'll fix it tomorrow isn't a way to show me how swiftly they act at fixing stuff that could have a lasting negative impact on the game.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
They don't have a fix it button, but probably bringing down the servers and making ilum unavailable would have been better than letting it continue today (until they removed the Taxi), that's all I meant. I said they don't act swiftly (and I wasn't even referring to today's event anyways, but more in general) and telling me they'll fix it tomorrow isn't a way to show me how swiftly they act at fixing stuff that could have a lasting negative impact on the game.

=|

24~ hours not quick enough, 1 patch every 2 days on average not good enough.

Shut the fuck up, seriously.

They should've taken servers offline till it was fixed and reimburse players for the lost time, just like every other company does it.

Turn off the servers for something affecting the small percentage of players already level 50 only on Ilum. Smart business decision.

The cancel sub button is not missing on my account.

Really though, who the hell didn't see this coming?

Did you set up a recurring subscription with a credit card, or did you pay with a pre-paid game time code?

If you don't have a recurring subscription where they auto-bill you every month (which, btw, I don't think is the default), then what exactly do you need to cancel?

Here's a (gasp) actual question about the game for once in the past 20 pages.

Which part of the map am I missing here in order to get the "You've surveyed the entire map" message and unlock the full uncovered map? The 3 little hexes in the SE corner of House Alde don't seem reachable so I don't think it's that, and none of the other isolated hexes seem reachable either.

cSyXF.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Here's a (gasp) actual question about the game for once in the past 20 pages.

Which part of the map am I missing here in order to get the "You've surveyed the entire map" message and unlock the full uncovered map?

cSyXF.jpg

Look for light coloured hexes. In this case the very bottom middle.

hamchan

=|

24~ hours not quick enough, 1 patch every 2 days on average not good enough.

Shut the fuck up, seriously.

Turn off the servers for something affecting the small percentage of players already level 50 only on Ilum. Smart business decision.
Now you're just being rude.

I actually do think they aren't quick enough with this. Shutting down for more maintenance and then reimbursing would have been a much better option than just letting everyone get max valor in a day and trapping those poor republican toons in a cycle of death.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

I actually do think they aren't quick enough with this. Shutting down for more maintenance and then reimbursing would have been a much better option than just letting everyone get max valor in a day and trapping those poor republican toons in a cycle of death.

They have to actually fix the problem and test it before they can just shove it out there. Turning the whole game off for a day would be much, much worse.

Waiting until after peak hours is standard operating procedure for any MMO. Taking down the servers during the day is when you have something that renders the ENTIRE game unplayable, not something that effects a tiny amount of the overall population.

Any other MMO would be amazing the amount of bug fixes and lack of downtime for the first month of gameplay. Let alone a full content patch less than a month after release.

Einbroch

Banned
They have to actually fix the problem and test it before they can just shove it out there. Turning the whole game off for a day would be much, much worse.

Waiting until after peak hours is standard operating procedure for any MMO. Taking down the servers during the day is when you have something that renders the ENTIRE game unplayable, not something that effects a tiny amount of the overall population.

Any other MMO would be amazing the amount of bug fixes and lack of downtime for the first month of gameplay. Let alone a full content patch less than a month after release.

Or just put in a hotfix that makes Ilum not give Valor. Or kick all players out of Ilum and back to their respective fleet while they investigate.

There are ways to pause a section of a game without bringing the servers down. And if there aren't because of their engine, then that's a major failure that deserves to be ridiculed.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Or just put in a hotfix that makes Ilum not give Valor. Or kick all players out of Ilum and back to their respective fleet while they investigate.

There are ways to pause a section of a game without bringing the servers down. And if there aren't because of their engine, then that's a major failure that deserves to be ridiculed.

Jumping the gun a little quickly. It's very possible and likely that they can roll back peoples valor and gains from today, and not needing to do any of that.

AppleMIX

Did you set up a recurring subscription with a credit card, or did you pay with a pre-paid game time code?

If you don't have a recurring subscription where they auto-bill you every month (which, btw, I don't think is the default), then what exactly do you need to cancel?

I have a CC on file but I used a game time card.

I'm not actually canceling, I was just pointing out that the option was available.

Hawk269

Yeah, the more they mess with it the worse it get's however. To put things into perspective on what I am about to report, here are the main specs to my rig:

Intel I72600k CPU OC to 4.6
8 Gigs of Ram
Win7 64bit
2x580 3GB Classified GPU

While on the fleet, just standing still I was getting solid 60fps..without touching the mouse and no visible people coming into view I would suddenly drop down to 20fps, just standing still. Moving around, I would go from 60 to 20 back to 50 back down etc. It seems worse than before 1.1. But it gets better...

I decide to go to my ship and do some crafting (I just like crafting in peace on my ship..lol). So I am on the part of the ship where the captains chair is and where it shows a hologram of the Galaxy Map. As I am standing there I notice that my FPS (I have FRAPS running) is changing, just a bit. I think this is odd being that I am the only one on my ship. I decide to move the camera and do a 360 pan and notice that the FPS goes from 60fps down to 28fps. When it hits the 28 it is when my characters back is turned to the camera and the holo-gram Galaxy Map is in view.

I think this is strange so I decided to go the main area where the holoterminal is and as soon as I hit the little corridor connecting the main bridge to the holo terminal area I drop down to 10fps, as the slideshow commences I make my way into the holoternimal area and I go down to 5fps. I somehow manage to make it into one of the small rooms and the FPS then jumps back to 60fps. As I soon as I turn my toon around to face the opening door way to look at the holoterminal area the FPS begins to drop...as soon I set 1 foot out of the doorway BAM I get hit with 10fps.

I was only on my ship for a total of 30 minutes, in the past I was on my ship much longer just chatting with friends doing crafting and companion missons. I decide to quit out of the game and log back in and low and behold solid 60fps! I mean rock solid, even in the captains area where I would rotate 360 and it would drop to 28 it didnt..it stayed rock solid 60fps the whole time.

From what little I understand, this is a memory leak and a major one at that. I heard people having severe FPS issues after playing a few hours on end, but I never had that issue until the 1.1 and this is within 30min of playing.

The other issue that I have as well as others with 1.1 is the fact that you can be running around and all of a sudden the static load screen appears for a second then disappears. It happened at least 3-4 times when I was playing.

Instead of adding content, they need to fix the core game itself. I think it is great that they want to add more, but testing stuff before releasing it is something normally companies do...but the more I play this game, I think BioWare is using the userbase to test this stuff. I am sure they are doing some testing, but it is becoming apparent that there is NO QA within the SWTOR team.

I love the game and want to play it, but I AM NOT going to pay a monthly fee to be a tester for them. They should be paying me as I spend alot of time reporting bugs and issues via the in-game ticket system.

Alchemy

So I played a Trooper up to 16, stopped playing for a couple of weeks and found myself just gravitating towards WoW whenever I had some downtime to fill. Cancelled my sub already. I just never felt compelled to keep playing. Combat and content was similar enough to WoW that I felt like I should just keep playing that instead.

Maybe it changes at higher levels, but this just felt like a more directed WoW questing experience with voice over. Even the environments felt more hallway like. The story stuff was nice and the voice over was cool, but it never really pulled me.

**Ninja Edit**
Oddly enough I went through the same thing with Rift, playing it for a while and quitting before my first month was up.

Einbroch

Banned
Jumping the gun a little quickly. It's very possible and likely that they can roll back peoples valor and gains from today, and not needing to do any of that.

But that screws everyone who gained valor legitimately, whereas shutting down Ilum for a bit only effects those bending the rules.

Besides, I do not believe they can simply roll back valor by itself. Maybe they can, but it would seem very difficult to roll back a single value in a sea of values. Server rollback seems to be the only realistic option. Again, they may have the know how to effect only valor, but I sincerely doubt it.

Moaradin

So I played a Trooper up to 16, stopped playing for a couple of weeks and found myself just gravitating towards WoW whenever I had some downtime to fill. Cancelled my sub already. I just never felt compelled to keep playing. Combat and content was similar enough to WoW that I felt like I should just keep playing that instead.

Maybe it changes at higher levels, but this just felt like a more directed WoW questing experience with voice over. Even the environments felt more hallway like. The story stuff was nice and the voice over was cool, but it never really pulled me.

**Ninja Edit**
Oddly enough I went through the same thing with Rift, playing it for a while and quitting before my first month was up.

Seems like most of your complaints get fixed after you leave the beginning areas. Sucks that you only saw the tutorial part of the game.

GLopez12

Neo Member

No one is "getting max valor in a day." There is no exploit that lets people get valor from turrets, and almost no one was able to farm Republic in a day because everyone who was getting farmed left.

The best numbers I looked at and crunched were people getting about 8,000 to 9,000 valor an hour. That's only twice as good as what I could get in warzones pre-1.1, and that definitely matches with the idea that Ilum will be the best place of valor.

The fact of the matter is that people are freaking out about the wrong issue. What Bioware needs to do is fix faction imbalance. This is what's letting Empire farm Republic so hard, not any nonexistent exploits.

What I don't understand is why Bioware seems to be willing to do general population caps in zones but not faction population caps. That would be a pretty easy fix to the issue. Basically, instead of making it so only 80 people can be in an instance of Ilum, Bioware could make it so only 40 Empire and 40 Republic can be in an instance of Ilum. It's an easy, clean solution to population imbalance. It also has the added bonus of deterring people from rolling Empire and making the faction imbalance issues worse, because there will be instances that will be filled with only Empire and no Republic, and no one will want to do that.

Alchemy

Seems like most of your complaints get fixed after you leave the beginning areas. Sucks that you only saw the tutorial part of the game.

I honestly think my biggest complaint is that it felt like WoW with a different skin and VO. The 'more directed questing' wasn't necessarily a complaint as much as an observation. It just didn't pull me away from WoW enough for me to want to keep playing.

I actually lasted longer when I went back to FFXI to see how broken it had become with Abyssea.

AppleMIX

But that screws everyone who gained valor legitimately, whereas shutting down Ilum for a bit only effects those bending the rules.

Besides, I do not believe they can simply roll back valor by itself. Maybe they can, but it would seem very difficult to roll back a single value in a sea of values. Server rollback seems to be the only realistic option. Again, they may have the know how to effect only valor, but I sincerely doubt it.

Or you could just roll back people who gained Valor on Ilum?

People have reported 1k valor per minute.

HAHAHAHA. Yeah right.

I'm a commando (aka the class with the most AOEs) and this is complete BS.

GLopez12

Neo Member
People have reported 1k valor per minute.

And they are lying. That would require the person's operation landing killing blows on 12 to 14 undiminished players while holding every single objective. That is extremely unlikely, even with an optimal raid.

This is a good post on the matter.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

Do it all the time in WoW, a much older game.

I remember when a patch happened that made all the gear free or easy as cake to get, everyone was freaking out (exactly) how they are now, and the next day everything was the same except all that free gear was gone. Big surprise, not freaking out and acting like they need to immediately fix this problem and turn off the whole game if they have to and they weren't acting fast enough didn't change a thing except make people look retarded.

Or you could just roll back people who gained Valor on Ilum?

I thought I put that in my post, don't know why I didn't.

Even if they can't roll back the Valor, all that is is the rank necessary to buy the PVP gear, which is level 65 for the best possible pvp gear. Probably easily gained and not a very rare thing even before this, and worst case scenario if they can't fix this, the tiny % of the population that did exploit this out of the tiny % of the level 50s will be about a week ahead of everyone else, and then the point will be moot when they release more PVP gear.

GLopez12

Neo Member

They actually did make responsiveness a lot better today, especially for Sentinels / Marauders and Gunslingers / Snipers. At least that's what my guildies and I felt today.

Einbroch

Banned
Do it all the time in WoW, a much older game.

I remember when a patch happened that made all the gear free or easy as cake to get, everyone was freaking out (exactly) how they are now, and the next day everything was the same except all that free gear was gone. Big surprise, not freaking out and acting like they need to immediately fix this problem and turn off the whole game if they have to and they weren't acting fast enough didn't change a thing except make people look retarded.

Whoa whoa. You talking about Tol Barrad and the bridge? Beause they totally didn't roll back the honor gained or remove the gear. I went from all blues to all epics in three days and had my honor at the cap and it most definitely never rolled back.

And Bioware clearly doesn't like rollbacks, look at the credits that the slicers got. Week ban, but you still got to keep your millions of credits.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I'm not sure about that, but it could use a few more vehement defenders with knee-jerk reactions to criticisms, there's definitely a shortage of those.

Wouldn't really say I'm a vehement defender because I think demanding some sort of action for a bug not fixed within 24 hours is ridiculous.

GLopez12

Neo Member
I think the game's biggest problem right now seems to be Bioware's quality assurance team.

Right now guilds are doing the new bosses and the general consensus seems to be that the bosses are fun and a lot less buggy, but the problem is the loot systems are still bad and/or bugged and a lot of the old bosses still have major bugs. It's ridiculous how Rakata weapons are still broken and how Soa and Pylons still have a ton of issues that can cause wipes.

Also, ability delay is still a bit of a problem. A lot of it was fixed today, but some abilities still don't feel as responsive as they should.

Then there's smaller bugs with PVP, like warzones randomly disconnecting people, not getting credit for dailies and weeklies, operation frames randomly not showing people, and warzones having too many people on one side. None of these issues by themselves are serious or consistent enough to be enormous problems, but when it's thrown on top of the pile of bugs in the rest of the game it just becomes unbearable. No one wants to go from a night of buggy raiding to annoying bugs in PVP.

Since the next patch is in March they really need to sit down and really focus on quality assurance for the next month or so. I don't think people are going to stick around if the game is still so bugged after two months of launch.

I'm sticking around because I like the class design and balance and Ilum, but after seeing all these bugs and my experience with Ilum today I'm getting worried that Bioware's quality assurance team really can't handle a MMO.

TheYanger

worst bug is still in - warzones not counting for wins for your daily/weekly.
Especially now that the imps on our server are rocking battlemaster gear it's just ridiculous that this bug still exists. Each win is precious.

Paches

Cleared out normal Karagga's in about 3 hours today with my guild, really loved the new bosses. The mechanics were fun to learn and are much better than boring ass EV. Going in for hard mode this Sunday, very pleased with the new additions. No bugs, either.

Top Bottom