• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

daoster

Actually, for the Diago fight, whoever your "tank" is, turn off his tanking stance, and turn off all threat abilities. If it's Corso, just have him harpoon Diago away, and start hacking away at Diago. By the time the CC runs out, you should be able to kill him and cancel his heals.

If you turn off threat abilities and turn off his tank stance, the Sith won't target your tank, and they'll last longer.

frequency

Actually, for the Diago fight, whoever your "tank" is, turn off his tanking stance, and turn off all threat abilities. If it's Corso, just have him harpoon Diago away, and start hacking away at Diago. By the time the CC runs out, you should be able to kill him and cancel his heals.

If you turn off threat abilities and turn off his tank stance, the Sith won't target your tank, and they'll last longer.

Oh yeah. I did that too. I forgot to mention it.

Miletius

Anyone discuss the things in the recent video? The new Warzone, customize UI, etc? I really like that the Legacy system will apparently let you play republic only races as empire, or vice versa.

Is the legacy system only available for characters on a per server basis? My republic dude is on another server... would suck to have to remake my smuggler (again). But I would do it if I could make him Chiss.

Mairu

It was only happening if people spawned. A screenshot of a quick burst does not mean a continual stream all day.

But that's basically what we had. And not just a figurative stream, but literal broadcasted streams. Just because you happen to play on a lower population server where this didn't happen, doesn't mean it didn't happen on all the high population servers.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I've only seen Standard USA servers all day. at 7am EST there was a Heavy.

I want the the most populated 3rd shift server.

At 7am the lights had 6 people in starting areas while the Heavy had 60-80.

daoster

Since Ilum is suppose to be "fixed" now...I'm going to make my first trip out there to see of the pain and horrors that honorable Republic must face to fight off Imp scum!

Havok

Finally got a game of the dreaded Huttball (I play almost no PvP, this was my second warzone) - and boy, no wonder people don't know how to play that gametype. The loading screen that teaches you what to do goes by in about 8 seconds, so I was kind of winging it the entire time.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Finally got a game of the dreaded Huttball (I play almost no PvP, this was my second warzone) - and boy, no wonder people don't know how to play that gametype. The loading screen that teaches you what to do goes by in about 8 seconds, so I was kind of winging it the entire time.
Imo the reason people have problems with the game initially is because they play it like Capture the Flag. Passing is key to winning. It is possible to score six times in about three minutes if your team is coordinated enough.

And dont feel bad about being lost. Like all new PvP maps it will take a few games to get used to things. The main thing to know is the Pass Huttball ability is in your General Abilities tab. Make sure its on your hotbar when playing.

CzarTim

But that's basically what we had. And not just a figurative stream, but literal broadcasted streams. Just because you happen to play on a lower population server where this didn't happen, doesn't mean it didn't happen on all the high population servers.
Did you actually watch any of them? Once people figured out what was happening, it slowed down.

I'm not saying nobody got massive valor, but it was not nearly as wide spread as some are making it out to be.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
How is world PVP while leveling? Any Tarren Mill experiences?

I killed someone at level 10, got steamrolled by 50's, /afked out.

Zafir

Is it just me, or does 99% of the population play Sith Sorcerers in this game?

I had to reroll one just because my Marauder couldn't take more than 2 mobs without dying.
Probably because they're one of the most well rounded classes. I'm enjoying my Sorc Alt far more than I enjoyed my Juggernaut if I'm honest.

Zeal

Banned
Probably because they're one of the most well rounded classes. I'm enjoying my Sorc Alt far more than I enjoyed my Juggernaut if I'm honest.

I agree with this, but that's the problem. If other classes aren't as attractive, the game's got a big balancing problem here.

Giolon

Population problems or that way the worlds/questing works?

Cause at 7am on a light server I saw 6 people questing in the starting zones. 80 on a heavy.

Maybe a little of column A a little of column B, depending on your server.

The issue as I've noticed it is that on cross-factional planets, the two factions have separate questing areas - so you really have to go out of your way to encounter players of the opposite faction. Things like North half of planet = Republic, South half = Empire. You never get quests that send you into the opposite faction's area, and thus have no reason to go there unless you're looking for trouble.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
A mix of both. You don't quest in the same areas as opposing factions too often overall.

The issue as I've noticed it is that on cross-factional planets, the two factions have separate questing areas - so you really have to go out of your way to encounter players of the opposite faction. Things like North half of planet = Republic, South half = Empire. You never get quests that send you into the opposite faction's area, and thus have no reason to go there unless you're looking for trouble.
They really screwed the pooch on then.

A New MMO is best for leveling world PVP.

World PVP at high levels just isn't as fun.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

As you advance through the planets, the faction areas get closer and closer until most areas of the map have quest locations for both factions (i.e. Belsavis). I started seeing Republic players regularly on Tatooine, saw them more often on Alderaan, saw a whole lot more of them on Hoth, etc. From Tatooine on (with the exception of Taris), I can't recall NOT running into an opposing faction member at least once per session. I'm constantly seeing comments in the general chat about people spotting opposing faction players in a certain area, trying to escalate the gank wars.

In the end though, it comes down to faction population on your server and if you're playing at the right time of day.

pahamrick

Has anyone else been getting weird flicker since this last patch? I can't even play for more than 20 minutes without getting a headache from it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
As you advance through the planets, the faction areas get closer and closer until most areas of the map have quest locations for both factions (i.e. Belsavis). I started seeing Republic players regularly on Tatooine, saw them more often on Alderaan, saw a whole lot more of them on Hoth, etc. From Tatooine on (with the exception of Taris), I can't recall NOT running into an opposing faction member at least once per session. I'm constantly seeing comments in the general chat about people spotting opposing faction players in a certain area, trying to escalate the gank wars.

In the end though, it comes down to faction population on your server and if you're playing at the right time of day.
Yea.. the zones get progressively closer. In Tatooine they are pretty far apart. As Imperial there was only one quest that sent me to where the Republic players were. i ran into more as i visited the Sarlaac Pit which is in their neck of the woods. On Hoth i ran across them a lot.. well they ran across me a lot would be more accurate. ive also run across opposing faction at world boss spawns and holocron locations. There was one Imp that would ride the balloon and make friendly chat with Republic players only to knock them off at the last minute of the 45 minute ride to the holocron.

Yeah. I was thinking in simple terms. I only played 2 days in beta so I'm not sure what the differences are between say a Marauder and a Juggernaut. It just seems simpler than say WoW and its each individual unique classes.

Big differences between some of the ACs and then even within ACs you do get different specs to deal with.

A Sage healer can't be balanced the same way as a Sage DPS

PvP balancing in any game is a nightmare

Emitan

Yeah. I was thinking in simple terms. I only played 2 days in beta so I'm not sure what the differences are between say a Marauder and a Juggernaut. It just seems simpler than say WoW and its each individual unique classes.

For example, a Sage can be a healer (Priest?) or DPS (Mage). And the other AC, the Shadow, can be tanking, or DPS (Rogue). 4 different roles from one core class (Consular).

Finally got to run Kaon Under Siege and it was alot of fun. Hopefully this is the level of quality to be expected from future flashpoints going forward.

It's a shame that it was swept under the rug yesterday with the Ilum fiasco, but hopefully as the fervor over that dies down some people will start talking about Kaon and Karagga's more.

For example, a Sage can be a healer (Priest?) or DPS (Mage). And the other AC, the Shadow, can be tanking, or DPS (Rogue). 4 different roles from one core class (Consular).

Druid can be Tank, Healer, range DPS, or Rogue DPS.

Its weird though, I feel like SWTOR is more than 4 classes, but somehow less than 8, haha.

ZetaEpyon

Since the update, I'm getting this odd message when I finish a synth:

"There are no missions defined for the crew skill 'Synthweaving'."

Anyone else seen this, or know what it means?

Varna

Armor crafting lets you make customizable pieces of equipment right?

My goal is to be able to create custom armor, mods and weapons for all my guys.

So far I have..

Sith Warrior with Artifice (Almost maxed!)
Agent with Armor Crafting

What other professions do I need?

I really enjoy crafting in this game. I'm hoping crafted armor and mods get some kind of buff that make em viable as end game equipment.

Armor crafting lets you make customizable pieces of equipment right?

My goal is to be able to create custom armor, mods and weapons for all my guys.

So far I have..

Sith Warrior with Artifice (Almost maxed!)
Agent with Armor Crafting

What other professions do I need?

I really enjoy crafting in this game. I'm hoping crafted armor and mods get some kind of buff that make em viable as end game equipment.

Cybertech for most of the mods, and then Armstech for guns, and barrels (I think its barrels, its some sort of mod thats for weapons, regardless, haha). and then Synthweaving for your Jedi armours.

Edit: and yes, Armormech and Synthweaving both allow you to make moddable (orange) gear, its completely empty though when you make it. so you need to fill it with mods yourself.

Varna

Cybertech for most of the mods, and then Armstech for guns, and barrels (I think its barrels, its some sort of mod thats for weapons, regardless, haha). and then Synthweaving for your Jedi armours.

Thanks. I'll probably be skipping Synthweaving since I only plan to have one Force user and he is better off with medium armors.

So to create customizable weapons do I just keep reverse engineering higher grade stuff?

pahamrick

I do on Ilum and that's it. Black screen flicker for a second every 5~ish minutes.

I've been getting it everywhere, every 30 seconds or so. Tried changing all sorts of settings and no go. Noticed on the forums there's a thread and the devs are looking into it. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Top Bottom