• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Curiosity is getting the better of me, and I'm thinking of taking the game for a spin for a month or so. How much HDD space does the game take? I may need to clean mine up since it's brimming with games from the last Steam sale atm. >_<

Emitan

Curiosity is getting the better of me, and I'm thinking of taking the game for a spin for a month or so. How much HDD space does the game take? I may need to clean mine up since it's brimming with games from the last Steam sale atm. >_<

~20GB. I'm on my laptop so I can't give you the exact number.

TheYanger

Crafting should improve greatly once you can unsocket armorings from high end gear (with the set bonuses intact), because then crit crafted socketable gear with augment slots will be BIS. and that in turn gives Slicing a place in the world again.

Jtrizzy

Damn the performance seems to have gotten worse. I'm only level 7 jedi knight, doing the flesh raider quest just trying to figure out how to even play an MMO. On top of the already poor performance, I'm getting the black screen flashing that others are describing.

Have they acknowledged frame rate issues at least? I'm running it on a 580, and still get janky gameplay.

Emitan

Damn the performance seems to have gotten worse. I'm only level 7 jedi knight, doing the flesh raider quest just trying to figure out how to even play an MMO. On top of the already poor performance, I'm getting the black screen flashing that others are describing.

Have they acknowledged frame rate issues at least? I'm running it on a 580, and still get janky gameplay.

Performance depends more on your CPU than GPU. That said, I have a Sandy Bridge i7 and the game can slow to a crawl now and then...

gatti-man

This is too weird bc i get buttery smooth fps all the time 480sli. 4ghz i7 8gb ram. Ssd.

Izayoi

Banned
It was only happening if people spawned. A screenshot of a quick burst does not mean a continual stream all day.
Except that in the case of the above, it actually does mean that.

Until they removed the speeder points, people were streaming in all day long to see what all of the fuss was about and promptly getting spawn trapped. I was in Ilum for that entire day, and it was the same thing all day. I managed to avoid getting spawn trapped repeatedly by queuing for Warzones and getting in one after a 15-25 minute queue. Kind of annoying to fly all the way back from the fleet and dodge the tunnel gank every time I died, but meh.

It takes 40GB fully installed for me. Don't let Billy lie to you.

bjb

Banned
So we got the idea of searching for those Magenta crystals.

Magenta Crystals are insanely easy to acquire. If you guys don't know hit me up. Can easily acquire with 3-4 (geared) people.

The Artiface patters on the other hand, are completely RNG-based, much like everything else in James Ohlen's galaxy.

Also speaking of Developers, I really hope someone at BioWare comes to their senses and sacks Gabe Amatangelo. Yet another MMO where has proven to be completely incompetent in designing and maintaining PvP combat.

This post in general sums up my feelings on the Ilum / Daily fiasco:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=206135

hamchan

I was wavering in the 10-20 fps range until I saw a thread in the SWTOR forums that said to remove the Graphics_mirror.ini and client_settings.ini files from C:/Users/YourName/AppData/Local/SWTOR/swtor/settings and start the game up again.

Now I get like 40-60fps in most places. Still drops below 30 sometimes, I think the game definitely does suffer from memory leaks.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
So, co-op is real fun but what happens as we inevitably get ahead of each other after the starter planet? Pretty much only solo and catch up while they are offline?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Pretty much. You could wait, and save the Heroic quests to do with your friend, but ultimately unless you're playing together exclusively - someone will get ahead.

I guess it's obvious, but the feature is too nice to not have wishful thinking.

Crafting should improve greatly once you can unsocket armorings from high end gear (with the set bonuses intact), because then crit crafted socketable gear with augment slots will be BIS. and that in turn gives Slicing a place in the world again.

Crafting will not improve until 400-points items will be BoP and provide significant advantages over not having them. Much like WoW, except creating the equivalent of Jewelcrafting.

The whole crafting system looks much like most of SWTOR now - good ideas, then SOMEONE figured they need to make it like WoW to attract people. So now you have kind of a monster - some great features in principle (sending companions on missions, etc.), without much goal at lvl 50.

Thoraxes

I'm positive.

oh god what is this

I'm not sure why both yours are so high... This is the one I copied to my SSD.

yM8sf.jpg

Izayoi

Banned
whatr9yzz.png

:x

Haha, our Empire rival guild was complaining about this in vent today. The only Imps who finished their dailies were ones who camped the armaments for literally 8 hours.

No Pubs in sight, not after what happened yesterday. Almost nobody finished their daily, and nobody in my guild finished the Ilum or Warzone dailies.

Completely broken and pointless. At cap the game might as well be PvE only on my server.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Okay, I took the plunge, and now I've got a bit of a wait while the thing downloads and installs. To occupy my time as I wait, what do you guys recommend as a healing class Republic side? I've read up a bit on Seers and that's about it. I pretty much always play a healer in these things. Any recommendations or things to think about if I want to fill that role?

Izayoi

Banned
Okay, I took the plunge, and now I've got a bit of a wait while the thing downloads and installs. To occupy my time as I wait, what do you guys recommend as a healing class Republic side? I've read up a bit on Seers and that's about it. I pretty much always play a healer in these things. Any recommendations or things to think about if I want to fill that role?
Sages/Sorcs are by far the best healers in the game right now.

Did you uninstall the November client even though they said you didn't have to?

I ended up doing it anyways.
Uninstalled everything. Redownloading now.

TheYanger

Crafting will not improve until 400-points items will be BoP and provide significant advantages over not having them. Much like WoW, except creating the equivalent of Jewelcrafting.

The whole crafting system looks much like most of SWTOR now - good ideas, then SOMEONE figured they need to make it like WoW to attract people. So now you have kind of a monster - some great features in principle (sending companions on missions, etc.), without much goal at lvl 50.

Crafting will have plenty of purpose in terms of marketability. It's the rakata items that are the problem, the issue would be moot if it were simply reusable items of the same quality as non-reusable variety (Crafters would make more money, could just spend it on stims/medpacs/etc). I'm fine with how WoW does things, but I'm a big fan of tradeskills being purely economic endeavors - why should you need a benefit? pick one that you like and milk it for credits while spending credits on things you need from the other professions.

CzarTim

They should put Ilum back to the way it was and make it so that the entire faction gets faster crew skill missions for every base the faction controls. Leave the Daily as is, but take away the valor per kill (keep the valor boost for WZs.)

That way you still need to kill, but there's also a big incentive for the faction to control the planet.

Snookie

Is there a secret techblade vendor somewhere. I'm level 21 and poor fess is still using his original weapon. I think my buddy can make one but what gives with this.

Tess3ract

Banned
Yeah thats what i've seen, to be specific I think the Hoth world boss drops the schematic for Magenta +33 Critical and the Belsavis boss drops +33 power

Also the Magenta crystals are pretty good disregarding champion gear (you can't even remove the crystals from the raid/pvp sabers either)

At least you can choose which lightsaber to put them in and such rather than being stuck with a specific saber, also of note it costs 22k to remove the crystal from a saber so make sure you put it in the one you want to use!
When we've downed both hoth world bosses they dropped nothing, but the belsavis boss seems to always drop the crit and endurance schematics. I haven't seen the power one drop, and we used to farm him.

Is there a secret techblade vendor somewhere. I'm level 21 and poor fess is still using his original weapon. I think my buddy can make one but what gives with this.
No. There's hardly any blades for qyzen and they're all un-modifiable.

Does the the non mod stats (min max damage, armor, etc) barely matter at all? Been hearing that people just pick the armors and weapons they like that are moddable and just stick with those and keep up with mods.

Maybe that's why I never feel any stronger/less squishy after picking up a new weapon/gear or whatever.

Emitan

All of my orange armors have the same stats without mods (16 Armor, 200 Durability IIRC). I think the mods are the only things that differentiate them.

I'm fine with how WoW does things, but I'm a big fan of tradeskills being purely economic endeavors - why should you need a benefit? pick one that you like and milk it for credits while spending credits on things you need from the other professions.

Which is why today I got 3 Gathering Skills. :D

Good times on Empire GAF last night. Did a couple flashpoints and then facerolled people in PvP. Scored my first Huttdown too!

I heard someone mention a couple pages back you can craft orange gear for armormech? Where do I get the schematics for that?

Dunlop

Performance depends more on your CPU than GPU. That said, I have a Sandy Bridge i7 and the game can slow to a crawl now and then...

Did the patch improve performance?

My PC comepletely died on the day of the patch, I formatted and installed Windows 7 (64 bit), I previously had Vista pro (64 bit).

My framerate perfomance and loading time on planets is vastly improved. Outside of the new OS, I have the exact same hardware

Magenta Crystals are insanely easy to acquire. If you guys don't know hit me up. Can easily acquire with 3-4 (geared) people.

The Artiface patters on the other hand, are completely RNG-based, much like everything else in James Ohlen's galaxy.

Also speaking of Developers, I really hope someone at BioWare comes to their senses and sacks Gabe Amatangelo. Yet another MMO where has proven to be completely incompetent in designing and maintaining PvP combat.

How's that with the crystals? I'm curious. I'm not very high level currently, but I will be eventually.

LowParry

Had my guild merge with another this week. Best decision ever. Cleared out both Operations on Hard Mode. It's farming time :D Love love love this game.

StMeph

Where do orange moddable belts come from? Are they crafted or dropped BOEs? I've yet to see one on GTN, and was wondering if I could just get one commissioned to be made?

When we've downed both hoth world bosses they dropped nothing, but the belsavis boss seems to always drop the crit and endurance schematics. I haven't seen the power one drop, and we used to farm him.

Ah strange, like I said last night there wer 4 crit crystals on the GTN so I bought one, they were all 300k ish, there was 1 power crystal but he wanted 500k for it so I went the cheap option.

Where do orange moddable belts come from? Are they crafted or dropped BOEs? I've yet to see one on GTN, and was wondering if I could just get one commissioned to be made?

I've heard they are quite rare and sell for a lot when they do appear for sale.

Dunlop

I found one on the Auction House (Galactic whatever...) for 3K, lol. Everyone I group with seems to be freaking out as there are unable to find one

Top Bottom