• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Alex

Yanger is always a bit crazy.

That said it is ridiculous if they don't roll this shit back in some manner and I don't blame anyone for being mad if they don't.

I've been taking a break from the game this week and after what happened yesterday I pretty much have no motivation to PvP when I go back. From what people have been telling me on my server even before everyone just ran to Ilum doing warzones without a premade in the level 50 bracket was pointless. Now if I decided to go back to doing warzones to continue the hours to days to weeks long grind to 60 it'll be doing so against a majority of people already decked out in r60 gear.

I think at this point I'll just be doing operations on my Juggernaut (who is going to be at a disadvantage considering the battlemaster weapons are much easier to obtain and better than what's available at the nm/hm level of ops) and playing a few other class storylines before stopping after another month of play.

Same happens with any player who reaches lvl 50 later down the line and other players are full of legit geared characters. PVP gear always creates a problem.

Mairu

Same happens with any player who reaches lvl 50 later down the line and other players are full of legit geared characters. PVP gear always creates a problem.

Usually this happens gradually and eventually leaves new players at a great disadvantage, another one of the reasons I wasn't really a fan of the whole level 50 bracket. Most of the time it doesn't happen overnight.

TheYanger

So can you finally have more than 2 windows open? Such a pain trying to compare mods between modable stuff in your inventory vs equipped vs companion or w/e.

There is a preference you can select that will compare vs your companion as well as yourself when you highlight an item in your bags.
I'm confused; are the droid parts in cybertech so you can build your own droid?

They're basically 'equipment' for droid characters you happen to have. Core = chest armor, etc.

CzarTim

Exploit on Illum allowed bunch of players to exploit valor so you got a bunch of people who just did nothing but exploit and get up to max valor rank in a few hours yesterday. Still doesn't auto give them full gear but yea a bunch of lvl 50's got to top valor rank and people claim it's ruined the pvp now for the rest of the games life and everyone is going to cancel

Except that's not actually what happened. This only happened on a few servers and even then a lot of those people were not getting THAT much valor.

Keller's Void was completely unaffected as far as I can tell.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Except that's not actually what happened. This only happened on a few servers and even then a lot of those people were not getting THAT much valor.

You're pretty wrong about that, it was a fuckload of valor for some folks.

You must be an imp!

TheYanger

The argument goes both ways, maybe your server was one of the few that was unaffected.
I've seen PLENTY of streams/videos/screenshots of many servers that looked exactly like what I saw:
FvnsI.jpg

Mairu

The rate of valor gain in Ilum on any of the heavy or higher population servers was absolutely insane. Going from 1 to 100 is obviously not what happened but gaining an extreme amount of valor in a relatively short amount of time compared to what it would take from grinding warzones is exactly what happened

CzarTim

You're pretty wrong about that, it was a fuckload of valor for some folks.

You must be an imp!

I'm not. The exploit was that people were (with large groups) getting into the opposing faction's base and AOEing the spawn point to kill people as soon as they arrived. They were only getting valor if people were spawning.

On KV pubs had control of the planet all day and no one went into the base.

From sampling the ilum population last night, the valor exploit did not happen on Keller's void simply because the imps couldn't get enough people organized to try and farm the turrets before the hotfix nor were they able to camp the speeder landing.

However, there still needs to be a valor rollback.

Ken

From sampling the ilum population last night, the valor exploit did not happen on Keller's void simply because the imps couldn't get enough people organized to try and farm the turrets before the hotfix or were they able to camp the speeder landing.

However, there still needs to be a valor rollback.
I played for 3-4 hours in the morning when 1.1 went up and we kept the Imperials out of our base the whole time. There was even a time where we got into the Imperial base (until we got pushed out by the flood of Imps that decided to all go to Ilum). There was a little camping outside our base but after awhile they all ran away for some reason. If that kept up for the rest of the day then yeah, KV probably isn't as affected by the exploit as some other servers. I basically never had what was happening in those screenshots happen to me.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm not. The exploit was that people were (with large groups) getting into the opposing faction's base and AOEing the spawn point to kill people as soon as they arrived. They were only getting valor if people were spawning.

On KV pubs had control of the planet all day and no one went into the base.

Ah, I see. On my server at least, it was pretty bad. Like I said, a bunch of guildmates gained 10+ levels to reach BM status in just a few hours. That's SO MANY WZs skipped.

Reached a wall with my scoundrel, with Diago (end of Tatooine).

My companion (yes, is Bowdaar, that is not the best companion, but I don't like Corso) die before reaching half of Diago bar, and then I'm not even able to take out a quarter of the bar. He heals a lot (more that I'm able to counter with distraction) and hit very hard.

I'll go for the bonus series and maybe even the start of the next planet, to get better equipment, and try again at 30 (i'm 28). But that guy is much harder than any other gold of the same level.

Blitzzz

My companion (yes, is Bowdaar, that is not the best companion, but I don't like Corso) die before reaching half of Diago bar, and then I'm not even able to take out a quarter of the bar. He heals a lot (more that I'm able to counter with distraction) and hit very hard.

I'll go for the bonus series and maybe even the start of the next planet, to get better equipment, and try again at 30 (i'm 28). But that guy is much harder than any other gold of the same level.

Ya this class quest was a harder than the stuff leading up to it. I think I died a handful of times.

I beat it with bowdaar as a slinger with biochem as my only heal. I kept throwing distractions at his med packs. and when bowdaar went down I had full life and enough dps to outlast him.
you could throw down a flash nade or dirty kick for some healing time though no?

I think I was one level over the quest level though.

Emitan

I needed to get a guildmate to group with me for that. And then I had to do the same for someone else. The quest is brutal.

daoster

Is this where you have to fight two people bosses with the naive Jedi?

daoster

You have to attack the fat dude and ignore the jedi and sith.

Yeah, also, use Corso, and have Corso harpoon the fatty outta there, while you just start hammering away on Diago. Don't forget to interrupt when he's healing! It took me a couple of tries, but once you ignore the Sith and focus on Diago (pulling him away from the action), it's not too bad.

Izayoi

Banned
swtor2012-01-1818-27-ujwna.png

Top left. That's not even taking into consideration that sometimes the log doesn't show all gains when it's happening too fast.

If a spawn-camped pub got that much, imagine how fast the Imps were racking it up (especially at 200+ valor per kill).

If that's not proof, I don't know what it is. The damage was done, and it shows. Warzones are full of Imp Battlemasters now. That's all there is to it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
How does bioware's ball sweat taste again? This was a major imbalance that fucked pvp pretty hard in the teeth. They knew about it within hours at worst, and still took an entire day to shut it down. Their reaction did little to fix the problem they'd created. It lacks a spine. Blizzard, for all their faults, would not have let something like this slide. (Yeah you guys quote the 'great' TB exploit, but all that did was save you from farming NORMAL battlegrounds for honor. That's the equivilent of getting like centurion level pvp gear in swtor, not battlemaster gear).
As someone who plays these game for PvP, not being able to have 3 panels open at once is a much more pressing concern than yesterday.

Alex

All of the elite quests and tough mobs have made me really enjoy the leveling. I fucking hate mindless difficulties, especially in games with such flourished combat models.

If I made an MMO though, every single damn quest would have two buttons at the bottom: Accept - Solo, Accept - Elite, and elite mobs would scale to the number of people in your group and they'd give more exp, more currency, and higher level items.

Moaradin

Anyone discuss the things in the recent video? The new Warzone, customize UI, etc? I really like that the Legacy system will apparently let you play republic only races as empire, or vice versa.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
All of the elite quests and tough mobs have made me really enjoy the leveling. I fucking hate mindless difficulties, especially in games with such flourished combat models.

If I made an MMO though, every single damn quest would have two buttons at the bottom: Accept - Solo, Accept - Elite, and elite mobs would scale to the number of people in your group and they'd give more exp, more currency, and higher level items.
It is more difficult to just coast through things on auto-pilot in TOR. i dont think most people have still got the whole TOR combat pacing issue down yet though. It reminds me of Dragon Age: Origins where everything that matters happens in the immediate battle. The cooldowns are short enough where they should be used in every or every other pull. Recuperating is at most 10 seconds so there is very little rest between fights. Every fight should be played as going all out where nearly every ability (minus the 20 min companion ability) is used.

Alex

Anyone discuss the things in the recent video? The new Warzone, customize UI, etc? I really like that the Legacy system will apparently let you play republic only races as empire, or vice versa.

Bwuh on the last part, how does that work? Would be neat if you could break the class restrictions as well. (Three MMO sins I want to go away: Solo encouraged leveling, hard factions, class restrictions!)

Izayoi

Banned
Yeah, I want to know why I never heard that awesome music anywhere in the actual game.

I needed to get a guildmate to group with me for that. And then I had to do the same for someone else. The quest is brutal.

Yea, thanks btw :)

I honestly like corso because hes a good tank if geared.

Keep in mind the jefi should actually CC Diago and you can focus on the Sith first. Take off Corso's distract so that youll get some aggro, then pop All in and medpac as needed, stuns, etc.

Even with this i only got Diago to half health (and killed the Sith) solo, but then i needed help

Moaradin

I wonder why it was removed. The music in the game has been pretty disappointing.

There are so much great tracks they made but a lot of it doesn't get used. I was especially disappointed in the CE soundtrack because it didn't even have a lot of the tracks that are IN THE GAME, let alone the ones not in-game. I hope they start using them for the new content.

Alex

I've never liked music in MMOs cept for FFXI, since FFXI had music and not a soundtrack, that's something I always like about Japanese games.

I am partial to the cello pieces in WoW, though.

datamage

I like how this man thinks.

Perhaps there should be an option for 'hardcore' servers as well. Keep the pansy stuff on regular servers for the common folk.

TheYanger

I see spawn camping. I don't see massive valor gains.
Wat. It was 20 valor per kill. there were people streaming in all day. it was tons of valor.
The game launched a month ago.

Does not compute. A month to get to level 50 and already have battlemaster rank, before the exploit, and you consider that a long grind?

Yes, yes I do? Doing Wzs 10 hours a day or more for weeks on end is a long fucking grind.
People achieving something doesn't make it not a grind. If nobody had it yet, I would wager an average player would not get it for YEARS. As it is I expect most people to take the better part of a year to do it (just doing their dailies/weeklies).

Mairu

Wat. It was 20 valor per kill. there were people streaming in all day. it was tons of valor.

Yes, yes I do? Doing Wzs 10 hours a day or more for weeks on end is a long fucking grind.
People achieving something doesn't make it not a grind. If nobody had it yet, I would wager an average player would not get it for YEARS. As it is I expect most people to take the better part of a year to do it (just doing their dailies/weeklies).

I don't understand how anyone who has been playing the game for the past month can't see how the valor gains in Ilum were completely disproportional with the valor gain rate that people were experiencing in warzones previously. ~500 valor in about one minute in that one screenshot above is about one half to a third of what the average person could expect from a 10-15 minute warzone

CzarTim

I don't understand how anyone who has been playing the game for the past month can't see how the valor gains in Ilum were completely disproportional with the valor gain rate that people were experiencing in warzones previously. ~500 valor in about one minute in that one screenshot above is about one half to a third of what the average person could expect from a 10-15 minute warzone
It was only happening if people spawned. A screenshot of a quick burst does not mean a continual stream all day.

JWong

Banned
Does not compute. A month to get to level 50 and already have battlemaster rank, before the exploit, and you consider that a long grind?

"Long grind" 10 years ago = 1 year
"Long grind" 5 years ago = 6 month
"Long grind" today = 1 month
"Long grind" next year = 1 day

frequency

If you control all points, you get up to 180 on bonus. So if the spawn point was being farmed, you would get 200 per kill. 20 is just the base, non-bonus number.

I had problems at first, but then I split up the two elites and it was really easy. I'm a gunslinger though, so I'm not sure if our DPS is different.

I had Corso grapple Diago to the bridge away from the Sith (I guess you can't do that with Bowdaar...). Diago is in some CC thing from the Jedi NPC. I unloaded everything I had on him. The CC didn't break until he was almost dead. Then I just interrupted his heals when I could. The Jedi NPC held out against the Sith just fine so I went and finished her off pretty easily after.

usea

Regarding the Diago (Smuggler) fight, I had a much easier time killing Diago first, since he is squishier and a healer. I used bowdar, focused down Diago ASAP (interrupting casts) and then ran away and regrouped while the jedi and sith fought. Once my companion and I were back up to full, I went back in to easily finish off the sith.

You might need to have bowdar taunt Diago and then LOS him to move him away from the sith, so the AOEs don't own Bowdar.

Zeal

Banned
Is it just me, or does 99% of the population play Sith Sorcerers in this game?

I had to reroll one just because my Marauder couldn't take more than 2 mobs without dying.

Top Bottom