• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Ken

Can anyone help with Biochem? I'm really confused what I should be making a lower levels, and what I should be reverse engineering? Right now I'm only rank 50ish in the skill.

Blitzzz

Can anyone help with Biochem? I'm really confused what I should be making a lower levels, and what I should be reverse engineering? Right now I'm only rank 50ish in the skill.

I made whatever advanced the most points with priority on medpacks/stims since I am a gunslinger and can't heal myself. Medpacs usually use the least components anyways.

I only RE to get some mats back and not to get blue/purps... you outlevel the efficiency too quickly to be worth concentrating on getting purps.

Patryn

I made whatever advanced the most points with priority on medpacks/stims since I am a gunslinger and can't heal myself. Medpacs usually use the least components anyways.

I only RE to get some mats back and not to get blue/purps... you outlevel the efficiency too quickly to be worth concentrating on getting purps.

Yeah, until you get really high on the skill, first make anything you know that you'll use, then solely concentrate on whatever will advance your skill the most for the least cost in materials.

Don't RE unless you absolutely need the materials. FYI, higher quality versions of the same blueprint sell for the same amount as lower quality versions. Just sell what you make to fund further crew missions.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Finally decided on a Sith Inquisitor Sorceror.

Now I need to decide on crew skills.

They pretty much confuse me.

In WoW I would level with gathering professions, then go back and power level a crafting with 310% flying.

Tacitus_

Leveling with three gathering/mission skills is perfectly viable for a sith sorceror. You get heals and your first pet is a tank so you can pretty much own anything that's not a heroic(4) quest.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Leveling with three gathering/mission skills is perfectly viable for a sith sorceror. You get heals and your first pet is a tank so you can pretty much own anything that's not a heroic(4) quest.
Dos that mean some classes are better off choosing a crafting so they can use the items?

Are people really even buying gathered stuff?

Finally decided on a Sith Inquisitor Sorceror.

Now I need to decide on crew skills.

They pretty much confuse me.

In WoW I would level with gathering professions, then go back and power level a crafting with 310% flying.

That's actually a good plan, either go all gathering or choose biochem, diplomacy and bio-analysis. I didn't level this way (switched to it eventually) but both my friend and my brother did this and made bank selling medical materials and companion gifts they didn't need, and were able to create and use infinite use medpacks and stims. Reusable medpacks are great for solo leveling, even if you decide to go down the healer tree, there are some that will heal both You and Your Companion. Be forwarned however, leveling a craft early on is extremely draining on your resources because each time you send your companions out on missions it costs credits. If you'd like, you could go scavenging, bio-analysis and slicing/artifice and sell everything you gather until you hit lvl 25 and have enough for your first speeder.

Dos that mean some classes are better off choosing a crafting so they can use the items?

Are people really even buying gathered stuff?

Early level materials don't go for much but grade 3+ bio stuff is constantly selling on the auction house. Seems like everyone is realizing how good biochem is, even with the nerf that there is a constant demand for them

edit: doh double post

Blitzzz

Is biochem the Jewelcrafting equivalent? Or is it Alchemy and Cybertech is the JC equiv?

it's the latter... although it works a bit different than WoW

one thing I'm not clear on end-game gear is, are player created mods same/better/worse than default mods on HM/Ops/Rakata stuff?

cametall

Which is why today I got 3 Gathering Skills. :D

I'm thinking of doing this. I'm just over 100 Cybertech and the only crap that sells are the first earpieces you learn to make.

Lowbies want their earpieces.

Is Underworld Trading the only crew skill that nets companion gifts or do the others do that as well (diplomacy, etc.)?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm thinking of doing this. I'm just over 100 Cybertech and the only crap that sells are the first earpieces you learn to make.

Is Underworld Trading the only crew skill that nets companion gifts or do the others do that as well (diplomacy, etc.)?
The OP says all Mission skills do.

Patryn

Treasure Hunting definitely does, and so does Investigation.

Others do as well, pretty sure diplomacy does.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm leaning toward three gathering- Bioanalysis,Scavenging and Slicing, but I'm wonder how Archaeology compares to the three. Is slicing from treasure chests cause I haven't seen any on the more populated server I rolled on.

one thing I'm not clear on end-game gear is, are player created mods same/better/worse than default mods on HM/Ops/Rakata stuff?

I think for now, pvp gear and hm/ops stuff is much better than the crafting gear. The only exception could be artifice because people are learning how to make magenta crystals and are selling them on KV for ~300k each. Currently, for endgame, biochem and cybertech are the most popular options (medkits/stims/adrenals and grenades respectively). For my main, i leveled as a cybertech and i did enjoy being able to make the armoring and mod pieces for my toon's orange armor. Its nice to have but yea, they don't sell for much more than the material costs. Blew a ton of money making them because I didn't have scavenging at the time. As a cybertech however, you can make your own speeders, but they'll only be usuable by you

daoster

I have to say....I love PVP, now with the level 50 bracket. I thought I would hate it because everybody has their end high end PVP gear already, and I just turned level 50, but man oh man...the quality of the PVPs have just been better, especially as a Republic.

Yesterday, I won 5 WZs in a row! 5! That never happened before. The only WZ that we lost in was because there weren't enough players, so they kicked us out of the WZ (and the other team had scored on us already for Huttball).

Man, brackets should have been added from the start.

Heysoos

I think player created mods/enhancements/barrels/hilts/armor/etc max out at 22, while PVE/PVP and even some Daily Commendation rewards, go higher than what can be made.

I have to say....I love PVP, now with the level 50 bracket. I thought I would hate it because everybody has their end high end PVP gear already, and I just turned level 50, but man oh man...the quality of the PVPs have just been better, especially as a Republic.

Yesterday, I won 5 WZs in a row! 5! That never happened before. The only WZ that we lost in was because there weren't enough players, so they kicked us out of the WZ (and the other team had scored on us already for Huttball).

Man, brackets should have been added from the start.

Yes! Though, adding it from the start probably would not have worked unless you wanted EXTREMELY long queue times. Now that there's a sizable population of 50s, it's fine.

Tacitus_

I'm leaning toward three gathering- Bioanalysis,Scavenging and Slicing, but I'm wonder how Archaeology compares to the three. Is slicing from treasure chests cause I haven't seen any on the more populated server I rolled on.

Slicing has you mostly send your minions on missions and they bring back lockboxes with credits in them, or augments to sell on the AH. There are also some lockboxes out in the wild, but nothing compared to the other gathering professions. Slicing also got rather heavily nerfed, but there's been some murmuring that it got a stealthbuff and it might be worthwhile again.

Varna

I think player created mods/enhancements/barrels/hilts/armor/etc max out at 22, while PVE/PVP and even some Daily Commendation rewards, go higher than what can be made.

What do you mean max out at 22? But I certainly can craft way better stuff that available through any means at 37.

Yes! Though, adding it from the start probably would not have worked unless you wanted EXTREMELY long queue times. Now that there's a sizable population of 50s, it's fine.

What do you mean max out at 22? But I certainly can craft way better stuff that available through any means at 37.

Mods are on a different numbering scale. IIRC 10 = lvl 29 mods, 22 = lvl 49 mods. At lvl 50, you can do dailies and get 23 mods which are better in stats than the 22 mods, are purple and only costs 8 commendations. There are 24 mods as well but their schematic and materials come from HM and OPs. So in essence, yes, the best mods in the game are from crafting, you just won't see any on the auction anytime soon

http://www.crewskillz.com/guides/crafting/biochem#content

I used this to level my biochem. Their numbers are a tad off, I would say doing 1/2 of what they suggest would help you reach the next tier

Tess3ract

Banned
I found one on the Auction House (Galactic whatever...) for 3K, lol. Everyone I group with seems to be freaking out as there are unable to find one
That's because someone who didn't know the value posted it at the msrp. You can buy those and relist them for 100k and people will still buy it

Dina

I don't about those schematic drops, the only ones I've seen drop are Armortech ones for (pretty sub-par) Energized gear.

Dunlop

The AH is crap. You'll get somewhat used to it, but it'll still have a shit UI.

The whole UI in this game is comically bad. I absolutely fucking the new way it shows spells on cooldown. They need to be grayed out when you cannot cast. The line can be 99% down so it looks like the spell is usable which it is not, which is kind of a problem when you think your "oh shit" spell is ready and die because of the second you wasted clicking on it.

I was at a loss when I used to AI for the first time, I had honestly not tried it in beta, I it absolutely terrible.

Blitzzz

Did a bit more reading, seems like crafted mods CAN be the best, but you need to do HM/OPS to get the right schematics and materials to make them

that's good.... so mod crafting can still make some coin at 50

It took me 20 minutes to list 3 items.

I'm working on the 4th because I'm not sure if I got the filter right. Silica.

you don't need to filter to list..... unless you are checking competitor prices?

Emitan

The whole UI in this game is comically bad. I absolutely fucking the new way it shows spells on cooldown. They need to be grayed out when you cannot cast. The line can be 99% down so it looks like the spell is usable which it is not, which is kind of a problem when you think your "oh shit" spell is ready and die because of the second you wasted clicking on it.

I was at a loss when I used to AI for the first time, I had honestly not tried it in beta, I it absolutely terrible.

STOP

Miletius

The AH UI is bad right now, but honestly all they need to do is allow you to search without entering in all the filters first and it would alleviate 50 percent of the problem. Click linking would pretty much take care of the rest of that.

Hopefully in the UI update in March they will fix that up. Sooner the better though. The UI for the AH discourages all but the most patient from selling, which slows the market down.

The UI is actually decent in concept, it just has some fucking terrible restrictions and a few ridiculous bugs ( like putting the item name in chat when you split a stack )

I agree, it's not bad, it just needs some good tweaking. It also needs more hotbars.

I have NEVER had an issue where I thought a skill was ready when it was on cooldown. Not even remotely.

The AH UI is bad right now, but honestly all they need to do is allow you to search without entering in all the filters first and it would alleviate 50 percent of the problem. Click linking would pretty much take care of the rest of that.

They don't let you search without the filters ON PURPOSE. It's much more computationally complex to search without the filters as it is a much larger set to iterate through for a text based comparison. Still, it seems so rudimentary that they should have it, but my guess is that it's like that to improve server performance.

Dunlop

The UI is actually decent in concept, it just has some fucking terrible restrictions and a few ridiculous bugs ( like putting the item name in chat when you split a stack )

Obviously opinion, but the UI is a horrible inflexible POS.

WOW's Ui was made aweseome through user Addons (the default is pretty shit). Look to Rift for a great default UI

have NEVER had an issue where I thought a skill was ready when it was on cooldown. Not even remotely

this was changed in the last patch, aka 2 days ago

Blitzzz

I try and work around the other UI issues but the GTN UI makes me cry....if you want to throw all these mandatory filters at me, fine....but go all out and give me head/chest etc too then....and fix the sorting for fucks sake... on everything! (single digit levels occur before level 50 in guild window..... FFS REALLY!? You have to go out of your way to program a sort like that wtfwtf)

shift+right click+drag will stop the chat linking while splitting problem

edit: dev post saying server group forums are up

Potatoheaded

Neo Member
Tried to get on with the AH UI but its damn near impossible, i loved playing the auction house in WoW and was looking forward to trying it again here but until they do something to "fix" it i'll just end up putting the odd thing up.

Why they wont let you do just a plain search for something without going into the specific category for it is a mystery...

Top Bottom