• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that the text based search is done on the client, rather than the server, for the AH. I bet the server doesn't even do text based comparison. I can explain from a technical perspective why I think the AH is set up like it is, if people are interested.

Miletius

They don't let you search without the filters ON PURPOSE. It's much more computationally complex to search without the filters as it is a much larger set to iterate through for a text based comparison. Still, it seems so rudimentary that they should have it, but my guess is that it's like that to improve server performance.

I realize why they did it but it's a still a bad decision. If server stability is dependent on not being able to search in this way then... well, it's just baffling, lets leave it at that.

Lombax

Banned
Dos that mean some classes are better off choosing a crafting so they can use the items?

Are people really even buying gathered stuff?

Materials sell quite well.
On my trooper I am using only gathering skills [ slicing, scavenging and underworld trading] All of my cash comes from selling materials, schematics, and gifts from those missions in the AH. [ I keep the credit cases for myself]

zlatko

Banned
I was dicking around with the character creator for my soon to be Commando later tonight, but WTF @ some races not being available for some classes? That's such a lame move if you ask me.

I forget the name of the Republic race that is blind, but I figured it'd be cool to create that as my Commando class, because the idea of a blind machinegunner who doesn't hit the mark is awesome...too bad Bioware doesn't think so. :/

Patryn

I was dicking around with the character creator for my soon to be Commando later tonight, but WTF @ some races not being available for some classes? That's such a lame move if you ask me.

I forget the name of the Republic race that is blind, but I figured it'd be cool to create that as my Commando class, because the idea of a blind machinegunner who doesn't hit the mark is awesome...too bad Bioware doesn't think so. :/

Yeah, only Jedi can be Miraluka, and only non-Jedi can be Cyborgs.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Materials sell quite well.
On my trooper I am using only gathering skills [ slicing, scavenging and underworld trading] All of my cash comes from selling materials, schematics, and gifts from those missions in the AH. [ I keep the credit cases for myself]
Underworld Trading isn't gathering tho?

nataku

The UI is horrible. I shouldn't have to go through filters on the GTN to be able to search for shit. If I know what I'm looking for just let me type the name in first and hit search. The lack of obvious filters specific to each slot under the various filters is baffling. They force you to use the filters, but don't provide all the necessary categories to search for specific slots. If I'm looking for medium chest armor I don't want to have to search through every medium armor on the GTN.

They also need to make it so I can simply shift+click an item in my inventory to search the GTN automatically.

I avoid the GTN completely and will until they fix it. I don't care if I lose money not selling on it, I'm not dealing with the bullshit I have to go through with it.

I thought it was acceptable in beta but the more I use the UI in this game the more I hate it. Even WAR had a better default UI than this game does.

Emitan

QdjwZ.jpg

Why isn't the game like this?!

Basically it's all about how data is stored on the server.

In order to do a text based search they need to examine every row in the database and compare the text in name field of that row with the text entered by the user. Not only is a String based comparison computationally complex, but the fact that every database entry has to be hit (depending on how it's indexed) also adds complexity.

When you use filters, it narrows down the set of rows in the database that you need to do a comparison on vastly. By using a filter for armor it only looks at we'll say the 10% of items on the AH that are armor items. You've just eliminated 90% of the computational complexity required to find the item with one fairly quick operation. Each subsequent filter reduces it further.

My guess is that after all of the filters are on, and the user searches, it gives the client back all of the results for those filters, and when you do the text based search at the end, it simply searches through the text on the client, so that the server doesn't have to do anything. Edit: This is pure speculation though. If the results from the narrowing down are too large they wouldn't send that much data back to the client.

The way it's structured reminds me of the first searches I wrote against a database when I got my first programming job. They would run too slow because I didn't know how to optimize them so I forced a bunch of rules on the user. Bad design. I also left mine waaaay open to SQL Injection. We all learn, haha. Although now I wonder if this amateurish AH coding is open to SQL Injection.

Slicing has you mostly send your minions on missions and they bring back lockboxes with credits in them, or augments to sell on the AH. There are also some lockboxes out in the wild, but nothing compared to the other gathering professions. Slicing also got rather heavily nerfed, but there's been some murmuring that it got a stealthbuff and it might be worthwhile again.

Slicing gets you missions you can use, also nodes in the world give you free credit loxboxes.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
underworld will grant you: Metals, Fabrics, and Companion gifts.

edit, sorry i get what you are asking. No there is no underworld gathering when you are out on your own.
I just mean it's technically under the category "Mission" while your others are under "gathering".

edit: i see you see

zlatko

Banned
Next patch it looks like Legacy will allow you to make alts that aren't race restricted. The upcoming features trailer showed a Sith Miraluka.

ibqfiPsFBrmZHo.png

How far away is the timetable predicting that patch to be? If it's by March I guess I can hold off and make the Commando then, and just do my Sentinel till then.

Probably because the AH items are stored in a database that have indexes on the category and subcategory columns, whereas a full text search would slam their DB.

Not saying there's not a better solution, but this is the first thing that comes to mind when I try to figure out why it's designed the way it is.

I've spent so much time on the AH that I've gotten used to most of its quirks. One thing that still bugs me is that you receive 1 piece of mail telling you an item is sold, and another an hour later when the money is sent. Why couldn't they just send out one...

So it is actually a server thread since they didnt set up actual individual forums for the servers... well its better than nothin!

This actually makes more sense, at least for now, since population of some servers may die and you don't want to see forums with only a few threads.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
How much would you sell laminoid for? Sold 3 for 300 then 8 for 1000.

Edit: Someone listed a bunch for 250 each. Perhaps relisted mine.

How much would you sell laminoid for? Sold 3 for 300 then 8 for 1000.

Edit: Someone listed a bunch for 250 each. Perhaps relisted mine.

One thing of note, you only lose your deposit if you take down the auction early. If you don't find a buyer for your item within your alloted list time, they refund your deposit :)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
One thing of note, you only lose your deposit if you take down the auction early. If you don't find a buyer for your item within your alloted list time, they refund your deposit :)

Good to know, but I was the only one with the item listed at the time. I saw how fast it sold for 100 each so I upped it to 125. Now I'm going to undercut his 250/ea cause I got 10 more.

I'm keeping a sold log.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Curious. Anyone remember how big the initial digital download installer file/folder for the game is?

I think it was 15gb when it was downloading but my memory may be spotty on this.

Next patch it looks like Legacy will allow you to make alts that aren't race restricted. The upcoming features trailer showed a Sith Miraluka.

ibqfiPsFBrmZHo.png

Another silly idea. Why restrict things like that to alts? I'd have to level some combination I don't want to play to be able to roll a combination I do want to play. Just open it up and work on better rewards for the Legacy system that don't fuck over your first character.

Meier

No because he's on Korriban. Empire only planet.

Good catch!

One thing that bugs me about the GTN is how sometimes it will just say "an item sold for XX.". I just got 66,000 credits from a sale yesterday but I couldn't even remember what it was...probably level 6 scavenged items but I dunno.

I don't really sell most of my crafted items..it's just nice being able to make new mods and new armor every time I open them up. I have about 7-8 to make each time. Was super excited to get a slotted belt drop.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Good catch!

One thing that bugs me about the GTN is how sometimes it will just say "an item sold for XX.". I just got 66,000 credits from a sale yesterday but I couldn't even remember what it was...probably level 6 scavenged items but I dunno.

I don't really sell most of my crafted items..it's just nice being able to make new mods and new armor every time I open them up. I have about 7-8 to make each time. Was super excited to get a slotted belt drop.

Another thing is your read GTN mail expires in an hour.

gatti-man

Another silly idea. Why restrict things like that to alts? I'd have to level some combination I don't want to play to be able to roll a combination I do want to play. Just open it up and work on better rewards for the Legacy system that don't fuck over your first character.

Its an incentive to roll alts and experience more of the story.

StUnNeR H2K

I'm sure other people captured this, but for those who missed out on the crazy 1.1 Ilum PvP here is a video with some clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2A0AVlorZ4

Although much didn't change yesterday (atleast on the Fatman server). Kinda sad that Ilum PvP hasn't worked out yet... Hopefully they get things worked out soon. Atleast for now Warzones are fun.

Had a crazy idea to mess with Crew Skills, now I have Slicing/Treasure Hunting/Underworld Trading. Is it even feasible GAF? Slicing for some profit + missions, Treasure Hunting for Items, Underworld Trading to make a killing on Metals.

Sokantish

I'm sure other people captured this, but for those who missed out on the crazy 1.1 Ilum PvP here is a video with some clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2A0AVlorZ4

Although much didn't change yesterday (atleast on the Fatman server). Kinda sad that Ilum PvP hasn't worked out yet... Hopefully they get things worked out soon. Atleast for now Warzones are fun.

Yep I stopped going to Ilum on fatman, if you do see one imperial like 5 seconds later like 10 will come out of no where. I'm sticking with Warzones as well.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm only a skill level of 9 but slicing seems to suck. Crappy aguments. Since it's largely mission based would one of the 4 real mission skills be better? Or perhaps Archaeology as my third gathering?

Another silly idea...

honestly, couldn't have said it better myself.. I think so many of the systems, ideas, and other design choices that Bioware are incorporating into SWTOR are ... to be gentle about it, 'silly'

Has anyone else truly been affected by patch 1.1? Not only is PVPing an absolute mess currently (at least on my server) but 80% of my guildmates unsubbed... we were going to begin raiding... tomorrow -_________-

Sent

honestly, couldn't have said it better myself.. I think so many of the systems, ideas, and other design choices that Bioware are incorporating into SWTOR are ... to be gentle about it, 'silly'

Has anyone else truly been affected by patch 1.1? Not only is PVPing an absolute mess currently (at least on my server) but 80% of my guildmates unsubbed... we were going to begin raiding... tomorrow -_________-

Well Ilum is a mess and the ability delay bug is WORSE than it was before, so...also 3 of my friends unsubbed and they aren't the type of people to even look at forums. They are the kinds of people BW doesn't want to be losing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Sounds highly overreactionary - didn't sound like they were the types who would have stuck around anyway.

StUnNeR H2K

Yep I stopped going to Ilum on fatman, if you do see one imperial like 5 seconds later like 10 will come out of no where. I'm sticking with Warzones as well.

I assume your Republic then, but even on the Empire side it's crazy trying to find Republic people now. If you were out yesterday you probably saw the pack of Empire right outside the Republic base... Hopefully Bioware adds more of the Armaments across the zone, cause I doubt they are going to find a quick way to balance the factions.

zlatko

Banned
I'm only a skill level of 9 but slicing seems to suck. Crappy aguments. Since it's largely mission based would one of the 4 real mission skills be better? Or perhaps Archaeology as my third gathering?

I do Arch. It's piss easy to level, because anywhere I go has had tons of spots. It takes like 1.5 seconds for your companion to gather the item, and you level it hella fast. I'm already 100/400 for it and have barely spent time doing it, the spots just happened to be right along my path to quest objectives.

I've been leveling synthweaving just since 2 days ago, and got it to about 60 some in no time flat thanks to all the rubat crystals I got from arch.

Sokantish

I assume your Republic then, but even on the Empire side it's crazy trying to find Republic people now. If you were out yesterday you probably saw the pack of Empire right outside the Republic base... Hopefully Bioware adds more of the Armaments across the zone, cause I doubt they are going to find a quick way to balance the factions.

I really thought they'd put a queue for the zone kinda like how WoW did with wintergrasp so it was at least even numbers

My experience in the starting area was top tier. It's crazy how many faults you see after leaving it.

Sounds highly overreactionary - didn't sound like they were the types who would have stuck around anyway.

My free month expires on the 24th, and I simply don't know if I should stick to it, or not? On one hand, this is the biggest lore-wise sci-fi MMO, nothing else compares. On the other hand, many things are a step backwards to everything in the genre. PvP is a mess, Crafting except Biochem is broken, HM Flashpoints are overtuned, UI is terrible, High graphics are not in, etc.

Someone sell me on Rift. What does it have that WoW doesn't?

Someone else I explained this to responded this way as well, but I'll say the same thing I told her.

I've been playing with this group (guild) for ~4 years now, since Vanilla wow, and we've been together since.. from grinding grand marshal to racing for realm boss kill firsts (on new servers hehe)

So our guild was one considered 'hardcore' so they wouldn't just quit over something petty, especially since we've all been craving a new MMO to play with a fresh breath of content.

We've all been excited for SWTOR for YEARS! It released, everyone was extremely active, slowly the ones who weren't going to be apart of the core started flaking away, and slowly the core was hitting 50. We currently (well.. prior to 1.1) had ~18 50s...

11 of our 50's (all apart of the core, 75% of the 11 I've been playing with for years) have unsubbed due to 1.1. I would love nothing more than a roll back of Valor.

However, I'm going to try to talk them into rolling Imp :/

bah : (

Top Bottom