• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

bjb

Banned
honestly, couldn't have said it better myself.. I think so many of the systems, ideas, and other design choices that Bioware are incorporating into SWTOR are ... to be gentle about it, 'silly'

Has anyone else truly been affected by patch 1.1? Not only is PVPing an absolute mess currently (at least on my server) but 80% of my guildmates unsubbed... we were going to begin raiding... tomorrow -_________-

Indeed. Most of my guildes are hardly logging in anymore. This is two weeks after we cleared 3/5 Nightmare in EV. In addition to the fact that the #1 PvE Guild on our server has now quit and ventured onto something else as of this reset.

Say what you want about bugs, ability delay, terrible UI etc. While those are certainly valid, the bottom line is that the end-game as a whole is an absolute mess right now. It's truly a disaster. The team or person (Gabe Amatangelo) responsible for PvP has absolutely no vision what-so-ever either.

I'd blame James Ohlen as well, but I assume that's a given at this point.

If people didn't want to deal with bugs, why did they bother getting into an MMO on Day 1?

No MMO that I have played has been bug free at launch. Not WoW, Aion, Warhammer, AoC, etc. Some were worse. I mean, it's not an excuse or anything, but it is completely expected on my part. If the bugs were still there 2-3 months in I could see all of the calls to unsub, but it seems really premature for it, unless you're just unsubbing until they are all mostly fixed.

I guess since I went in expecting problems I am not as surprised to see them. I am taking my time enjoying the class quests and having a lot of fun, rather than focusing on things like PvP or end game which are invariably massively bugged at MMO launches, or even expansion launches. Seems like unsubbing now to never return because of the launch window bugs is forgoing what could be a very enjoyable experience once they are ironed out.

People will surely return. MMOs are cyclical.

It's just the heart of the game is the leveling and I don't see any reason why the MMO parts of the game are anything worth sticking around for. When they actually are worth it, people will maintain subs.

A lot of it is just design too, not bugs. The AH isn't a bug, it's just designed like garbage. The endless running around isn't a bug. And the ability delay might be called a "bug" but it's more like a deeper, underlying problem that will take a long, long time to solve (if it's solvable at all without rebuilding large game systems).

zlatko

Banned
If people didn't want to deal with bugs, why did they bother getting into an MMO on Day 1?

No MMO that I have played has been bug free at launch. Not WoW, Aion, Warhammer, AoC, etc. Some were worse. I mean, it's not an excuse or anything, but it is completely expected on my part. If the bugs were still there 2-3 months in I could see all of the calls to unsub, but it seems really premature for it, unless you're just unsubbing until they are all mostly fixed.

I guess since I went in expecting problems I am not as surprised to see them. I am taking my time enjoying the class quests and having a lot of fun, rather than focusing on things like PvP or end game which are invariably massively bugged at MMO launches, or even expansion launches. Seems like unsubbing now to never return because of the launch window bugs is forgoing what could be a very enjoyable experience once they are ironed out.

I think another problem that is frequent in MMO's is that the end game content just isn't there day one. Yet players race to 50 and then want to bitch there's nothing else to do...well sorry buddy, but you need to realize your racing isn't beneficiary to anyone. Go slow, take your time, make an alt, dabble in different things, and just be ready in about two months after launch for more content for 50 to start rolling out.

I get that's just some peoples way to approaching the game is to go fast as hell, but you are missing out on a fair amount of the experience this game has to offer if you do go about it that way.

Some people are just very picky and it is there right but having to pay a sub for a game really makes people cynical and they always feel like they have to "vote" with their wallet. Theres also just alot of general nonsense that comes with MMO territory though. So many of the people who pretty much hated the game for months in beta went ahead and bought the game and guess what? They still hate the game. Why did they buy the game in the first place when they were in beta and knew what to expect?

Sent

Most of what we complain about aren't bugs, but features. The GTN system is not a bug, it was designed that way and sucks. The PVP medal system does not reward teamwork and it was designed that way. Ilum is a mess and it was designed that way. You can't see what recipes you already know and that's not a bug. The LFG system is worthless, and once again, not a bug. The UI isn't scalable, I can't move things, the map in pvp covers up my bars. None of these are bugs!

Now take that and add the bugs on top of that then you have our issues.

Yet players race to 50 and then want to bitch there's nothing else to do...well sorry buddy, but you need to realize your racing isn't beneficiary to anyone

It's been a month and I'm just now 50, if you say I've been racing to hit it then ok...but I haven't.

PewPewK

Most of what we complain about aren't bugs, but features. The GTN system is not a bug, it was designed that way and sucks. The PVP medal system does not reward teamwork and it was designed that way. Ilum is a mess and it was designed that way. You can't see what recipes you already know and that's not a bug. The LFG system is worthless, and once again, not a bug. The UI isn't scalable, I can't move things, the map in pvp covers up my bars. None of these are bugs!

It's been a month and I'm just now 50, if you say I've been racing to hit it then ok...but I haven't.

Yeah, but implementing those would have delayed the game another 4 months. I'm okay with being patient for those things to get fixed.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The auction house actually helps discourages the plague of under cutters using addons since it takes forever to check shit.

By the way, can you have a level 1 auction house alt? Or do I need to level to 10?

zlatko

Banned

Not been a full month yet, so you've probably been investing a good chunk of your free time with the game. But really, if you have been wanting to play the game that much in these 26 days or whatever it's been, then clearly you enjoy your time with it, and enjoyed the trip to 50. There's a few things now you can occupy yourself with at 50 right? If that isn't holding you over while you wait for some more end game content, then why not try an alt? It seems like I said, that you enjoyed the game enough to get to 50 at the rate you did(probably not that fast, the grind in this game isn't massive), so that alt could give you more of what you liked getting to 50 while you wait for some new content.

I understand if that's not what you want to do, but I can't think of many MMO's that have an incredible plethora of end game content in its first month of launching, and most set up a tougher grind so it takes more time TO get to 50.

If the game is fun, keep at it and wait is what I'd do(which I am), if not then yeah bow out and check back in a few months for more 50 content.

Mmos are front lawns.

Sometimes, front lawns attract moles. Said moles create mole hills all over the lawn. It's quite unsightly. Fortunately your lawn isn't quite doomed, there's a solution.

Unfortunately the solution will leave your lawn soggy. However, do not despair! For the sun will shine and after awhile you'll have a lawn at the proper moisture and looking like a lawn again!

Of course, the moles will come back but probably in far less numbers.

joelseph

Mmos are front lawns.

Sometimes, front lawns attract moles. Said moles create mole hills all over the lawn. It's quite unsightly. Fortunately your lawn isn't quite doomed, there's a solution.

Unfortunately the solution will leave your lawn soggy. However, do not despair! For the sun will shine and after awhile you'll have a lawn at the proper moisture and looking like a lawn again!

What is the solution, I am so lost.

Sent

Same month and I am at 27, guess I just stink at the game

I don't know, I was the last one to hit 50 out of all my friends. I pre-ordered so in terms of playtime it's been a month for me.

Yeah, but implementing those would have delayed the game another 4 months. I'm okay with being patient for those things to get fixed.

They should've delayed it then, I'd rather have all that in. To me it just feels like at points they didn't care at all about the quality they were putting out beyond voice acting. I don't find "rolling an alt" to be a solution to a lack of features when I found all those issues while leveling up, they will always be there (until they change stuff).

Skirn

Sorry if this has been posted, but is anyone else getting weird-ass flickering since the 1.1 patch? It's like the background geometry disappears for a fraction of a second every 5-10 seconds.

My temps are fine and I'm using the latest drivers for my HD Radeon 6950.

Mmos are front lawns.

eastern1.jpg

These moles?

Sorry if this has been posted, but is anyone else getting weird-ass flickering since the 1.1 patch? It's like the background geometry disappears for a fraction of a second every 5-10 seconds.

Yes, and BioWare has acknowledged it and said theyre researching

zlatko

Banned
I don't know, I was the last one to hit 50 out of all my friends. I pre-ordered so in terms of playtime it's been a month for me.

They should've delayed it then, I'd rather have all that in. To me it just feels like at points they didn't care at all about the quality they were putting out beyond voice acting.

So I'm confused now. Do you like the game up to hitting 50 or not? If you feel the quality in everything in the game is subpar to your standards aside from voice acting, then why did you play as much as you have? Masochism or?

It's been happening to others. I only get it once in a while but it does happen.

hamchan

I suppose it's been more than a month for most people with early access. It only takes 4-5 days playtime to reach 50 anyways, so I don't think people are really racing to reach max if they can spare 2-3 hours a night. Game is perfect to make an alt on with the legacy system but unfortunately it's not out yet :-/

Sent

So I'm confused now. Do you like the game up to hitting 50 or not? If you feel the quality in everything in the game is subpar to your standards aside from voice acting, then why did you play as much as you have? Masochism or?

The story (also friends), and I honestly haven't played that much imo, there are a ton of 50s running around. They made the 50 bracket now for a reason.

zlatko

Banned
The story (also friends), and I honestly haven't played that much imo, there are a ton of 50s running around. They made the 50 bracket now for a reason.

True enough. I'm in the same boat that I've been playing for the story and have been having a blast. Rarely do I bother with an alt in MMO's, but this one definitely will get at least one if not two from me.

I would start to get antsy though if I had two characters at 50 by the end of February with no heads or tails on when my endgame content is coming, but that's just me.

In Bioware we trust.

Alex

Same month and I am at 27, guess I just stink at the game

Don't feel bad, I'm going slow as hell too, I'm still not cap and I've been in since halfway thru early access. I've just been so goddamn busy though, and we made a pair of alts already. I hope can I put in some more meaningful play time soon.

I'm not really looking forward to end game, though, I'm just over WoW-styled end games. I'll pop through everything once or twice, get geared a bit, then put it on hold for awhile. I will probably redo an alt when they make that legacy system though since leveling in this is actually meaty and fairly challenging in a pair. I hope they can make some new content types though because I am just never getting into a raiding model again. Not for me anymore.

Blitzzz

Yup. Devs are looking into it

gatti-man

Someone else I explained this to responded this way as well, but I'll say the same thing I told her.

I've been playing with this group (guild) for ~4 years now, since Vanilla wow, and we've been together since.. from grinding grand marshal to racing for realm boss kill firsts (on new servers hehe)

So our guild was one considered 'hardcore' so they wouldn't just quit over something petty, especially since we've all been craving a new MMO to play with a fresh breath of content.

We've all been excited for SWTOR for YEARS! It released, everyone was extremely active, slowly the ones who weren't going to be apart of the core started flaking away, and slowly the core was hitting 50. We currently (well.. prior to 1.1) had ~18 50s...

11 of our 50's (all apart of the core, 75% of the 11 I've been playing with for years) have unsubbed due to 1.1. I would love nothing more than a roll back of Valor.

However, I'm going to try to talk them into rolling Imp :/

bah : (

If they are so hardcore they should know 1.1 will blow over. Its not the end of pvp but it does suck. I dont think its anything to unsub over if you are having fun with the game.

Tess3ract

Banned
You guys level slow, I have a 50 and a 26, plus that 50 has done all the encounters, most of the world bosses, pvp valor 36, social 5, in mostly social columi gear, two companions at 10k and the rest at 6k+, all the social gear, all the mounts cept the 1.5m ones (sitting on 823k atm), all inventory slots cept the last cargo bay one, etc

CzarTim

You guys level slow, I have a 50 and a 26, plus that 50 has done all the encounters, most of the world bosses, pvp valor 36, social 5, in mostly social columi gear, two companions at 10k and the rest at 6k+, all the social gear, all the mounts cept the 1.5m ones (sitting on 823k atm), all inventory slots cept the last cargo bay one, etc

5Gtbol.png

markatisu

Don't feel bad, I'm going slow as hell too, I'm still not cap and I've been in since halfway thru early access. I've just been so goddamn busy though, and we made a pair of alts already. I hope can I put in some more meaningful play time soon.

I'm not really looking forward to end game, though, I'm just over WoW-styled end games. I'll pop through everything once or twice, get geared a bit, then put it on hold for awhile. I will probably redo an alt when they make that legacy system though since leveling in this is actually meaty and fairly challenging in a pair. I hope they can make some new content types though because I am just never getting into a raiding model again. Not for me anymore.

Yeah I play about 2hrs a night but I guess I just like doing other things like the story, side missions and space stuff. I don't really see the need to get to the end with any urgency

Once the legacy system hits I will probably make an alt and play with them for a while to mix it up

falastini

Whelp, I'm done. It's a solid game, but I just lost any urge to continue. Possibly the WoW fatigue, even though I haven't played that in over a year. I'm positive this game would have been a bigger hit if it came out 2 years ago.

I've got my issues with it, but I'm not going to list everything because, current endgame issues aside, they did a decent job... for the most part. In fact, if they added a lot more Interface options tomorrow and got rid of the animation combat lag, I'd re-up tomorrow. Sadly, I don't think they're ever going to change the animation lag. It seems intentional design.

just saw this..
. After attempts to adapt “Lord of the Rings,” “A Game of Thrones” and Marvel comic book super-heroes like such as Spider-Man, the team signed a co-publishing deal with “Star Wars” creator George Lucas.
link
I wonder how a GoT MMO would have been like, or their take on a LOTRO MMO. Also says SWTOR had a 200 million budget... a lot less then I've seen thrown around.

Gamefaqs forums are ------------>

gatti-man

Most of us here have jobs and responsibilities beyond kiddy pool 9-3 class time.

zlatko

Banned
Most of us here have jobs and responsibilities beyond kiddy pool 9-3 class time.

Ohsnap.gif

It's true though when I was younger and Final Fantasy XI was just fresh that I would spend absurd hours playing and cruise to max levels on alternate classes in that game.

Now? 2-3 hours tops at night, and sometimes I spend it with different games. Weekends I plan to get more in, but shit gets in the way.

Ahh to be an eternal neckbeard. :(

mxgt

Banned

Am I supposed to be impressed?

Tacitus_

You guys make me feel bad. ;_;

I have a 9-5 job and I almost have my second level 50.

Don't feel bad. People just suck at leveling since they're going "oooh, pwetty" and not getting xp.

Oh and spent about half an hour running in a circle in Ilum. Made an ops group with 5 other imps, whooped the ass of the 3-4 reps that were there and cursed at the spawn times of the armaments. And this server was "full" at launch.

Alex

Don't feel bad. People just suck at leveling since they're going "oooh, pwetty" and not getting xp.

Oh and spent about half an hour running in a circle in Ilum. Made an ops group with 5 other imps, whooped the ass of the 3-4 reps that were there and cursed at the spawn times of the armaments. And this server was "full" at launch.

That or they can't put ~150-200+ hours into a game in under a month. Scary, I know, but if you've got a decked out 50 and change that's probably 6-8 hours a day of play and ... no thanks. Even at my absolutel peak of MMO-nerddom, no thanks.

I play sporadically, in big blocks, myself. That's always why I chirp for challenging content but things that I don't have to schedule (like raids)

Arment

Heads up no one cares.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Or you just have no life, LOL.

FLEABttn

Banned
I've got my issues with it, but I'm not going to list everything because, current endgame issues aside, they did a decent job... for the most part. In fact, if they added a lot more Interface options tomorrow and got rid of the animation combat lag, I'd re-up tomorrow. Sadly, I don't think they're ever going to change the animation lag. It seems intentional design.

Dev blog post today suggested that the combat animation lag problem is likely fixed in the next PTR build.

Top Bottom