• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Lol please. Nothing is going to change this. Too many whiners and people posing as Operatives (like that one person here that said they took on 2-3 even enemies in PvP and won regularly.. total bullshit). There is so much misinformation going around about "stunlock" and garbage like that. i called this a couple weeks ago. People do not like getting jumped from stealth and have always cried for nerfs to stealth classes.

I pose as an operative? Nevermind the pic of me riding my robotic sea turtle in mostly champion gear a few pages ago. :/

For the record I believe I told you we didn't need the nerfs, especially now with the 50's bracket, I just said we don't suck in pvp as much you claim. How about you try this combo: acid blade > hidden strike > backstab > cloaking screen > acid blade > hidden strike. If your fast enough you can actually whip that off in the full animation for them being on the ground.You can pretty much kill a non tank in full champion gear, just have to catch them without a bubble or equivalent up. Obviously thats a 2 minute cooldown(assuming you have the talent, which you should for pvp) but its immensely powerful none the less.

Wendi's reading comprehension aside, I plan to go heals unless something changes. The jarring strike is the biggest one, 1.5 seconds is a little silly. I'll reserve full judgement until I see it, but nerfing every facet of our opening when thats such a large part of our actual class seems really knee jerk and poorly thought out.

Tess3ract

Banned
While I nderstand why they were nerfed, I agree that they've gone too far without buffing their other dps skills. Are Ops/Scoundrels used in PVE much outside of heals?
Scoundrel heals are okay but too situational in most cases and are almost exclusively single target. Kolto cloud sucks, and it feels like their mobility is much lower than a Seer.

They're sick in PVE single target, but probably a lot less now. Most of my Scoundrel friends would open up with a 15000 shoot first crit, lol

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
While I nderstand why they were nerfed, I agree that they've gone too far without buffing their other dps skills. Are Ops/Scoundrels used in PVE much outside of heals?
If you want to heal go Sage/Sorc. Actually if you want to be effective at anything, go anything other than IA. Seriously. Only play IA for the story. You wont get invited to groups in PvE content as DPS like other melee DPS and in PvP you already were not viable. They had one sub-par trick that is now gone. How many moves can you do in 3 seconds with a 1.5 GCD? How many moves in 1.5 seconds with a 1.5 GCD? Its seriously dumb.

squidyj

I get my operative to 50 and they kill the only trick I have? that's just fuckin' great. what am I supposed to do? shiv my enemies to death? lol. IA has the best ship and the best story but goddamn what a retarded set of nerfs. I guess I should just give in and level my lowbie sorc then.

So now OP is nerfed... Is sniper any fun? Kinda got bored at 12 or so, but i assume they get more interesting later...

How is there leveling 'pace'? I can give a rat's ass about pvp and end game ;P

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So now OP is nerfed... Is sniper any fun? Kinda got bored at 12 or so, but i assume they get more interesting later...

How is there leveling 'pace'? I can give a rat's ass about pvp and end game ;P
The nerfs in place wont even affect Operatives until level 36-40. If you are just interested in soloing content you will have an easier time as healer Operative. You can solo some content meant for 4 people if you keep your tank companion well geared.

Emitan

Companion AI is fucking broken. Corso will not attack shit even though he's in his tanking stance and I manually tell him to attack targets.

it's kind of funny really because Juggs/Mercs are the ones that should be nerfed for burst, not Ops/Smugs

Juggs do not have great burst whatsoever. Someone is misinformed. I can't believe that people on here actually think JK/SW is overpowered. Also stunlock was definitely a problem in pvp if you combined it with the sort of damage operatives could put out with no form of retaliation. People in full champion gear shouldn't be losing ridiculous amounts of health during the stunlock alone.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Juggs do not have great burst whatsoever. Someone is misinformed. I can't believe that people on here actually think JK/SW is overpowered. Also stunlock was definitely a problem in pvp if you combined it with the sort of damage operatives could put out with no form of retaliation.
There is no stunlock from Operative. Once they do the 3 second stun, thats it. Its done. No more. Resolve bar is set to 1000 so no more stuns for the remainder of the fight.

Zafir

Juggs do not have great burst whatsoever. Someone is misinformed. I can't believe that people on here actually think JK/SW is overpowered. Also stunlock was definitely a problem in pvp if you combined it with the sort of damage operatives could put out with no form of retaliation.
Probably seen the screenshots/videos of the Smash critting. It's not really as fast as the operatives were at bursting though, you need a bit of build up to do those smashes, not to mention adrenals and relics.

There is no stunlock from Operative. Once they do the 3 second stun, thats it. Its done. No more. Resolve bar is set to 1000 so no more stuns for the remainder of the fight.

That stun doesn't even let break stun abilities work last I checked, at least the ones I have. Ops burst was absurd for getting 3 seconds of retaliation free damage.

Probably seen the screenshots/videos of the Smash critting. It's not really as fast as the operatives were at bursting though, you need a bit of build up to do those smashes, not to mention adrenals and relics.

Guardian burst isn't even as good as sentinel combat burst atm. I'd love to see some screenshots of these smash crits though, do you have the link to the videos?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I pose as an operative? Nevermind the pic of me riding my robotic sea turtle in mostly champion gear a few pages ago. :/

For the record I believe I told you we didn't need the nerfs, especially now with the 50's bracket, I just said we don't suck in pvp as much you claim. How about you try this combo: acid blade > hidden strike > backstab > cloaking screen > acid blade > hidden strike. If your fast enough you can actually whip that off in the full animation for them being on the ground.You can pretty much kill a non tank in full champion gear, just have to catch them without a bubble or equivalent up. Obviously thats a 2 minute cooldown(assuming you have the talent, which you should for pvp) but its immensely powerful none the less.

Wendi's reading comprehension aside, I plan to go heals unless something changes. The jarring strike is the biggest one, 1.5 seconds is a little silly. I'll reserve full judgement until I see it, but nerfing every facet of our opening when thats such a large part of our actual class seems really knee jerk and poorly thought out.
Did you take my advice from a couple weeks ago and start practicing healing? You have only yourself to blame talking nonsense about taking multiple equally geared 50s and owning them all by your lonesome. Those kinds of brags are the sasquatch of TOR. There are no videos of it because it doesnt happen, did not happen, and will never happen.

That stun doesn't even let break stun abilities work last I checked, at least the ones I have. Ops burst was absurd for getting 3 seconds of retaliation free damage.
OMG a whole 3 seconds of retaliation free damage? Other classes get the same kind of damage wont break stun, some of them even longer. That is a stun. Not stunlock. Stunlock is where your character gets locked down with stun after stun after stun. Funnily enough other classes can pull this off because their stuns dont set the Resolve bar to fucking full from one move so they can chain stuns.

Zafir

Guardian burst isn't even as good as sentinel combat burst atm. I'd love to see some screenshots of these smash crits though, do you have the link to the videos?
From a quick google - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfWx_mcAQBY

It's only really useful in pvp, and the entire spec revolves around building up shockwave/dominate(Those are the juggernaut names, not sure about Guardian) buffs , using all of your consumables/relics to crit for big numbers.

I doubt those numbers are possible now you can't stack consumables/buffs.

It's worth noting this spec is also possible on Sentinel/Marauder since it's the shared tree.

Mairu

From a quick google - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfWx_mcAQBY

It's only really useful in pvp, and the entire spec revolves around building up shockwave/dominate(Those are the juggernaut names, not sure about Guardian) buffs , using all of your consumables/relics to crit for big numbers.

I doubt those numbers are possible now you can't stack consumables/buffs.

It's worth noting this spec is also possible on Sentinel/Marauder since it's the shared tree.

Not to mention your numbers are all going to be lower due to 50 only bracket w/inflated battlemasters! I haven't had a chance to try out this spec since last week but I'll probably be going back to it after operations tomorrow since it's the easiest way to farm valor
and unfortunately I wasn't around this week for THE GREAT VALOR DAY to skyrocket myself further in the ranks

Did you take my advice from a couple weeks ago and start practicing healing? You have only yourself to blame talking nonsense about taking multiple equally geared 50s and owning them all by your lonesome. Those kinds of brags are the sasquatch of TOR. There are no videos of it because it doesnt happen, did not happen, and will never happen.

Ah ok gotcha, someone had a different experience then you so they're full of shit. This whole discussion just reeks of "I can't do that so no one can!" syndrome.

And your reading comprehension is horrid, go back and read my original post weeks ago when I said it happens, and that I lose just as many times in those situations. I also said i'm far from a PVP expert, and I was fairly sure that they weren't equally geared(believe I said a sage with 12k ffs). So how was that post bragging? You were saying our class is shit and I was refuting that. Sorry to "brag" that our class isn't a total turd Wendi, sheesh.

eznark

Banned
I love the brackets!

gbRnN.jpg

Emitan

Level 29 to 30 is taking forever. I'm never going to reach 50. I think my Sage can probably reach it faster than my Scoundrel.

Arment

Well I am among the players now. What's the Mal'Ganis of TOR servers? Something with good population so end game stuff is readily available.

Just cancelled my subscription 5 minutes ago. If someone cares here's my pros and cons:

+Star Wars universe, simple as that
+VOs, I know they are used to mask "kill X" quests, but they do their job, some quests are funny, some responses witty + you can shock people/force choke them

-too much like WoW, don't let others fool you, this game was supposed to be "WoW in space", the only thing they changed is auto-attack button
-bad design decisions - I expect bugs, but some things are broken by design - PvP is a mess, mirrors are not really mirrors, Crew Skill system is broken and useless at 50 for everything except Biochem

I guess majority of that is an MMO fatigue - I played WoW on-and-off for 6 years, and I simply cannot get back to the game that has so many shared mechanics, while at the same time going back on some things (lack of LFG tool, customized UI, mods, etc.).

If it's your first MMO - by all means, try it for the mechanics, and Star Wars lore, just know that the game does a lot of things like it's 2004 (time when WoW came out). There is no sense here in the game pushing forward in any MMO aspect.

Next one in line: Terra, Guild Wars 2.

Arment

As much as the servers are probably overpopulated with them I'll probably be going Warrior or Inquisitor. I usually like mage classes but melee is attractive right now. So Assassin or Marauder... hmmm.

So, I've been playing my assassin as deception (middle tree). I think this is the tree to play if you want to focus on melee attacks and stuns, like a rogue in WoW. The 3rd tree seemed more focused on mixing in force magic and I did't really like it. I feel so squishy though. I've been going with the force wielder mods for the extra endurace just so I don't feel like I'm going to die all the time. I think what I really need is a healer with me. Then I could really focus on killing things and not on staying alive so much.

So, I've been playing my assassin as deception (middle tree). I think this is the tree to play if you want to focus on melee attacks and stuns, like a rogue in WoW. The 3rd tree seemed more focused on mixing in force magic and I did't really like it. I feel so squishy though. I've been going with the force wielder mods for the extra endurace just so I don't feel like I'm going to die all the time. I think what I really need is a healer with me. Then I could really focus on killing things and not on staying alive so much.

You won't get your healing companion until Hoth I'm afraid. :(

Maybe just use Khem Val and let him tank? Obviously he'll die from time to time or you'll end up having to "Seethe" him up every few fights, but at least that would let you focus on your dps and stuns.

For what it's worth, many people have reported being able to play despite having run out of play time. People have even reported being able to play after getting refunds. You'd figure there would be one area EA would be on the ball, it would be removing access from people who leave

Also, it's apparently very easy to get a refund if you bought the game through Origin and are within your first 3 weeks or so. Which I find a little strange on EA's part.

TheYanger

Let's see

-janky energy resource that sucks for anything other than burst damage (no seriously, doing a long term fight is a PITA)

-Not much defense (lol rogues)

-a knockdown that's the same length as the GCD

-Damage has been reduced

Yeah...this class will probably be wiped lol
You realize That 'janky' energy mechanic is the EXACT same system literally 50% of the classes in the game use right?

OMG a whole 3 seconds of retaliation free damage? Other classes get the same kind of damage wont break stun, some of them even longer. That is a stun. Not stunlock. Stunlock is where your character gets locked down with stun after stun after stun. Funnily enough other classes can pull this off because their stuns dont set the Resolve bar to fucking full from one move so they can chain stuns.

Oh give me a fucking break. Whine whine whine. Ops were ridiculous, if you'd actually quit yours when you first said how shitty they were, and rolled another class, you'd have seen how fucking retarded Operatives were in pvp. a 3 second stun that you can't trinket out of and that you get crit for ridiculous numbers during (I've had 7k fucking crits from operatives while I was on my ass on the ground, I'm a tank spec vanguard btw)? That's balanced? NO other class could do that. Period. Sorcs/Sages are bullshit as well, yes you're right, that doesn't mean Ops weren't too. I'm ALL for sorcs/sages getting hit in the dick with the nerfbat next.

If you can't figure out how to kill someone with the kind of stun power that ops had, I don't know what to say. You don't have to LITERALLY kill someone during the stun in order to have it completely win you the fight in a 1v1, and similarly when you team up with even a single other player you've now effectively gibbed whoever you stunned. Even with your supposedly nerfed stun, you're basically dooming your target to death if you've got someone else with you, so congrats.

I mean, this shit isn't made up, you can just search operative pvp on youtube and see videos of 50s annihilating people DURING their stun, even against other 50s. That's exactly my experience as well without a pocket healer (and sometimes with).

Of the four characters I've made and tinkered around with (all PVE)--Jedi Consular/Shadow, Bounty Hunter/Mercenary (medic), Trooper/Commando (medic) and now Imperial Agent/Sniper--the Trooper and, more so, the Bounty Hunter are the most empowering to play as. The Bounty Hunter still stands out as being the most fun, I think I'd like to make another BH but go full tank or dps.

The Imperial Agents story has been the most engrossing of the lot, but I have enjoyed being mustache twistingly evil bounty hunter, truly mercenary.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Oh give me a fucking break. Whine whine whine. Ops were ridiculous, if you'd actually quit yours when you first said how shitty they were, and rolled another class, you'd have seen how fucking retarded Operatives were in pvp. a 3 second stun that you can't trinket out of and that you get crit for ridiculous numbers during (I've had 7k fucking crits from operatives while I was on my ass on the ground, I'm a tank spec vanguard btw)? That's balanced? NO other class could do that. Period. Sorcs/Sages are bullshit as well, yes you're right, that doesn't mean Ops weren't too. I'm ALL for sorcs/sages getting hit in the dick with the nerfbat next.
Trinket out and you are good. Use your def cooldowns and you are good.

Burst was all Operatives had. That was it. They did nothing else. If you were getting crit for 7k you were fighting someone in Expertise gear and you didnt have any.. not to mention that Defense and Absorb or whatever do not function in PvP.

If you can't figure out how to kill someone with the kind of stun power that ops had, I don't know what to say. You don't have to LITERALLY kill someone during the stun in order to have it completely win you the fight in a 1v1, and similarly when you team up with even a single other player you've now effectively gibbed whoever you stunned. Even with your supposedly nerfed stun, you're basically dooming your target to death if you've got someone else with you, so congrats.
If you dont win during the stun (aka jump someone when they are 50% health) then chances are you are dead. Operative out of stealth damage is pathetic. Dropping out of combat is almost impossible once engaged. ive been in combat for upwards of a minute not actively fighting anyone, no dots on my target, hiding in the corner waiting to restealth. Cloaking Screen (Vanish) doesnt remove DoTs.. and youre healing removal ability doesnt remove all types of DoTs.. so escape is difficult if you are attacked. You can get a good 10-20 feet away before your stealth breaks and since you have no maneuverability every class with either sprint to you, pull you back or leap to you (or just shoot at you and keep you in combat) and finish you off.

I mean, this shit isn't made up, you can just search operative pvp on youtube and see videos of 50s annihilating people DURING their stun, even against other 50s. That's exactly my experience as well without a pocket healer (and sometimes with).
It is almost entirely made up. The whole thing was blown way out of proportion. Operatives were not OP. Its fact. Accept it.

Tess3ract

Banned
Juggs do not have great burst whatsoever. Someone is misinformed. I can't believe that people on here actually think JK/SW is overpowered. Also stunlock was definitely a problem in pvp if you combined it with the sort of damage operatives could put out with no form of retaliation. People in full champion gear shouldn't be losing ridiculous amounts of health during the stunlock alone.
force charge, (force choke) or (force crush/ravage), smash, force scream, execute.

puts out 18k damage or so in champ gear with mostly rage specc'd

or force charge, gore, massacre, FORCE SCREAM ravage does something stupid like 15k damage as well.

Someone else said it best:
i think the main problem is that operatives have to keep their opponent stunned in order to stay alive in pvp, which causes a psychological reaction of frustration in players. juggs can output just as much damage (in a short amount of time so that people cant react w/ healing), but since the players still moving around they think it's more "fair". which completely discounts the reason ops have to chain stun in the first place -- they have comparatively lower armor/health than a tanking class

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Its amazing the stuff i learn online. ive learned you cannot break out of Hidden Strike. ive also learned that all this time i could have chained stuns to stunlock someone down.

Darklord

Banned
So the thing that was breaking my game was the AA. Very weird but turning it off makes it ten times more stable. Sadly, it didn't fix the framerate which seems to have taken a dive since 1.1. I can still get 40-50fps most times but when a few people get on screen like in Huttball it's hurting. Before it was smooth as butter.

Lain

Something has to have happened with Cloaking Screen.
I've used it twice to lose aggro with a group of mobs, without any dot on me, moved away from them, dropped the stealth, healed up, no in-combat icon, and then all of a sudden the pack aggro on me and comes charging.
The other bug (I consider it a bug) that if you use Cloaking Screen with a dot or while a hit connects, it will put you back in combat mode is annoying enough, without this new problem.

Any other Operative noticed this?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I've used it twice to lose aggro with a group of mobs, without any dot on me, moved away from them, dropped the stealth, healed up, no in-combat icon, and then all of a sudden the pack aggro on me and comes charging.
This happens every so often. i didnt use CS much during PvE but its happened to me at least 10 times while leveling to 50, all ended in my death. Its always at the worst time because you use CS in PvE when you are going to die.

The other bug (I consider it a bug) that if you use Cloaking Screen with a dot or while a hit connects, it will put you back in combat mode is annoying enough, without this new problem.
Not a bug. If a blaster shot is incoming when you Cloak or you have a Dot on you (CS doesnt remove DoTs) it breaks stealth.

Tacitus_

Any other Operative noticed this?

That happens randomly on my Assassin as well. Vanish spells will always be broken.

So out of interest why do people feel the need to make themselves invisible in the center of ilum PVP area when there are no pubs around for ages?

I was there for 40 minutes doing the daily and they just kept making themselves invisible for no reason, I would run over to a box and just as im about to get to it someone appears and takes it, unnecessarily annoying...

hamchan

force charge, (force choke) or (force crush/ravage), smash, force scream, execute.

puts out 18k damage or so in champ gear with mostly rage specc'd

or force charge, gore, massacre, FORCE SCREAM ravage does something stupid like 15k damage as well.

Today I found out that I had the Saber Throw ability all along, which one can add before you Force Charge, and it adds an extra 3 rage. So many abilities ;_;

Top Bottom