• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

We missed you tonight Max. Had to quit early cause only ones left were me and Trey. Two days straight undefeated though over a good 30-40 games.

One more night of work. And after tonight I will be more than ready to melt some faces.

Co-worker is on vacation, and like every time I have to work alone, all sorts of random crap I have never seen before crops up to deal with.

Also fired up because some jerk almost killed me on the way in tonight. Morons.

TheYanger

Fire and it's not but for the 5-10seconds it takes to score the crit medal?

So...getting *A* medal is super and dangerously cheesy? Better tell that to everyone that ever uses a medpac every game to get a healer medal :p No such thing as a 'cheesy' medal. I hit my AE taunt on a group of guys on the objective and 'cheese' protector medals by that logic.

So it only took me 5 characters.. but on my 6th.. I think I found the one I'm taking to 50. My Gunslinger has been so fun.

Also I had an awesome Warzone today. It was really close and I never died and was just steam rolling. I loved it. Got my highest dmg ever and most kills ever in a Warzone. (Screenshot below)

7qoJu.jpg

squidyj

So...getting *A* medal is super and dangerously cheesy? Better tell that to everyone that ever uses a medpac every game to get a healer medal :p No such thing as a 'cheesy' medal. I hit my AE taunt on a group of guys on the objective and 'cheese' protector medals by that logic.

I really just wanted to say dangerously cheesy, Holdover from a 30 minute discussion on cheetos, earlier today.

So it only took me 5 characters.. but on my 6th.. I think I found the one I'm taking to 50. My Gunslinger has been so fun.

Also I had an awesome Warzone today. It was really close and I never died and was just steam rolling. I loved it. Got my highest dmg ever and most kills ever in a Warzone. (Screenshot below)

7qoJu.jpg

FLEEEAAAAAAAAAN!

I wound up playing a few rounds against you as Thaddaeus.

Tacitus_

The medipack medals are getting nerfed :(

I got a 50 sage and rolled on KV today. It's crazy how many people I see. I went with planets having like 15 pop and 20 was busy! I hardly saw any sith too.

I think bioware is going to have a big problem on their hand once subs start dropping.

Later planets have fewer people because players spend less time on them. Bunch of the smaller planets come up later down the line and you breeze through them in a couple hours unlike the earlier planets where you spend tons of time on and are generally far bigger. Quesh for example is a quick stop off point before you move on really, and little reason people are going to hang out on these smaller planets. I was dissapointed to see these little planets that just flew by, it seemed to me that the planets would get bigger and more "epic" if anything but for the most part they are small quick quest spots and it really doesn't promote many people to be on them for any length of time

Walshicus

Later planets have fewer people because players spend less time on them. Bunch of the smaller planets come up later down the line and you breeze through them in a couple hours unlike the earlier planets where you spend tons of time on and are generally far bigger. Quesh for example is a quick stop off point before you move on really, and little reason people are going to hang out on these smaller planets. I was dissapointed to see these little planets that just flew by, it seemed to me that the planets would get bigger and more "epic" if anything but for the most part they are small quick quest spots and it really doesn't promote many people to be on them for any length of time

One of the things I like about Star Trek Online is the event calendar. Specific activities in specific locations are only available at certain times of the day/week; or else they grant double rewards when active.

If TOR had this you could see that every planet had a reason to be visited by even max-rank players at least some of the time.

hamchan

Yay I finished the Sith Warrior class quests which had a pretty good ending, reached 50, bought all my skills, speeder training and speeders, with money to spare. I feel there's not much to do at 50, so I'll level my IA alt now for the story.

Also it sure felt like there were a lot of vomit coloured planets in this game.

One of the things I like about Star Trek Online is the event calendar. Specific activities in specific locations are only available at certain times of the day/week; or else they grant double rewards when active.

If TOR had this you could see that every planet had a reason to be visited by even max-rank players at least some of the time.

Would have liked to see more cases of bonus series coming later on where you would have to go back to an older planet like they did with Nar Shadda and such. I do hope the events thing they hinted at will give players reasons to go back to certain planets. They got lots of space on most planets that can be used for certain dynamic like events.

Patryn

I'm in a quandry. The Trooper storyline has such a strong climax at the end of Act I that I went and created a JK alt while I took a break from playing my Commando. However, I seem have now passed where my "main" character is with that alt, as I'm now on Balmorra with my JK.

I think I enjoy the feel of my Commando more than that of my Jedi Guardian (doesn't help that the Commando does SO much more damage than the Guardian), but I find myself more intrigued with the JK story than the Trooper story at this point (not really a fan of the whole
assemble a team for a mission!
thing. Seems like a weak main thread.)

So I'm torn. Play the character who I prefer but in a story that's kind of meh, or play the character who's still enjoyable, just a little less so, but in a story that's engaging me.

Guessing I'll probably just play my JK.

On a final note, Bioware really needs to learn how to effectively set up the next act at the end of an act. There's far too much closure at the end of both JK's and the Trooper's Act I (although the JK does do a little, at least). Kind of kills a lot of motivation to continue.

There is a way to climax while still leaving threads dangling for the next act, Bioware.

CzarTim

On a final note, Bioware really needs to learn how to effectively set up the next act at the end of an act. There's far too much closure at the end of both JK's and the Trooper's Act I (although the JK does do a little, at least). Kind of kills a lot of motivation to continue.

There is a way to climax while still leaving threads dangling for the next act, Bioware.

They have said this was deliberate, but I wholeheartedly agree.

CzarTim

I have been playing in off hours lately, but how have the WZ queues been on KV lately for everyone? I just sat in the queue for an hour and only got into one which closed due to a lack of players. (50s bracket)

So I've been tanking as a shadow quite a bit and I must say it is a blast. I feel like a crazy ninja monk tank. I have super speed, I spin kick my enemies into submission, I can stealth and sap, and I mitigate like a boss.

I've main tanked both ops and the hard modes without issue. I was a tad worried about a light armor tank but I wanted to try something different while still keeping the role I love most. Bioware definitely delivered on the shadow, atleast from my point of view.

Sigfodr

Yeah, and one of the best examples in film are Episodes IV and V.

I have been playing in off hours lately, but how have the WZ queues been on KV lately for everyone? I just sat in the queue for an hour and only got into one which closed due to a lack of players. (50s bracket)

I had the same issue playing in off hours outside of the fifties bracket.

gatti-man

Under 50s for me has been anywhere from 2-10 minutes. Bw needs to work on the lvl balancing still. At lvl 48 i am like a god. Takes 2-3 people to take me down. 1 on 1 i cannot be defeated.

Blitzzz

Smuggler line still has a main plot after act 1

StMeph

I'm not saying there were lots. I was just trying to say that all 4 of my deaths was by one person (who happened to be an Empire GAF Operative). I enjoy the word "jerk" and use it a lot - even if I don't mean it.
The bit about being stunned to death was poking fun at earlier arguments in this thread.

I know it was in jest; so was my statement. I thought the <3 would give it away, but I am that Operative.

As for healer medals, I think they should just reduce the amount of heals required for the second medal. Right now it's at 300k heals. Add one at 150k, and leave the 300k for the third rank of healing medals. Additionally, count heals on people who get kills as kills via assist. This would skyrocket healer kill counts, but I don't think it's wrong to overcompensate healers for doing so, because right now almost no one is, and it requires some stiff incentives to change behavior.

Nightz

I wish there was a way to change your character's body type. I picked the medium body type when I created my trooper, but he doesn't look bulky enough to be a tank lol.

frequency

I know it was in jest; so was my statement. I thought the <3 would give it away, but I am that Operative.

As for healer medals, I think they should just reduce the amount of heals required for the second medal. Right now it's at 300k heals. Add one at 150k, and leave the 300k for the third rank of healing medals. Additionally, count heals on people who get kills as kills via assist. This would skyrocket healer kill counts, but I don't think it's wrong to overcompensate healers for doing so, because right now almost no one is, and it requires some stiff incentives to change behavior.

But the internet is like so serious and stuff!
I'm bad at determining intent or whatever. Maybe because I am ESL. Sorry.

I haven't done ant WZ as anything other than a healer. What are the medals people are getting? Number of kills? Damage done? I don't know how people are getting so many. I've scored in huttball before or taken things in civil war or planted bombs and stuff, but those don't give medals.

I wish there was a way to change your character's body type. I picked the medium body type when I created my trooper, but he doesn't look bulky enough to be a tank lol.

I want to change my hair colour :(

gatti-man

I haven't done ant WZ as anything other than a healer. What are the medals people are getting? Number of kills? Damage done? I don't know how people are getting so many. I've scored in huttball before or taken things in civil war or planted bombs and stuff, but those don't give medals.

I want to change my hair colour :(

If you place your mouse over other people medals on the rankings at the end it tells you how they got them.

Patryn

Yeah, smuggler here as well. The smuggler story carries well for the entirety of the game and leaves the threads dangling for an expansion or large patch (or at least I think it does).

Good to hear. JK kind of leaves a minor thread as well, but it's not much.

Trooper, however, resolves pretty much EVERYTHING at the end of Act I. It seriously feels like the end of a game, and then Act II is the sequel. Which sucks, because the Act I story is really good, and I feel like they really could have stretched out the Act I story to encompass the entire thing. It doesn't help that the start of Act II is super underwhelming.

Actually, now that I think about it.... it's kind of like Mass Effect now that I think about it, and that's kind of including some story beats.

Sage/Sorc

I thought they were the original OP class, while SW and JK (especially) were the total shit class?

StMeph

All good. You're just misguided and on the wrong side. Come to the dark side and join Empire GAF like Kruul.

So far as I know, there are medals for:

- 1st killing blow
- killing an opponent in single combat
- 10 kills
- 25 kills (there's probably another tier after this)

- 2.5k damage in a single attack
- 75k damage done (there's probably another tier after this, at 300k like for heals)

- 2.5k healed in a single cast
- 75k heals done
- 300k heals done

- 1k defender points (objective based: killing ball carrier, holding AA cannons, etc.)
- 3k defender points
- 5k defender points

- guarding (not so sure about this one, but probably from absorbing a certain amount of damage as a tank for others)

Scoundrel/Ops (getting nerfed in next patch)

Sage/Sorc even more so (very likely getting nerfed soon)

Biochem adrenals will be nerfed next. They honestly are causing the most issues.

Not sure what they could do to sage/sorc outside of maybe increasing the cooldown on the sorc shield. Maybe deathfield could have its dmg reduced. Sorcs specced right have good sustained dps but somewhat low burst unless you spec to get both deathfield and chain lightning and use a proc to get CL to go off instantly.

If any of the nerfs are related to CC, my opinion is they fix resolve before they mess with CC's. Example being the operative CC nerf I don't think was necessary until they get resolve working a little better.

The lightning tree combat ability wise is pretty garbage outside of chain lightning. Example would be how many sorcs have you seen standing still casting lightning strike and thundering blast?

The game has been changing at a snail's pace. It's almost exactly the same as at launch as far as class mechanics go.

It's been only a little over a month. Major class changes within the first month is never a good sign. Outside of little weekly tweaks, I wouldn't expect anything drastic and we really shouldn't for longer after launch and proper metrics are counted in for all level classes and gear variables factored in.

frequency

Don't nerf the shield! I rely on it for healing.
Maybe move the talent to increase its effectiveness out of the damage tree and into the healing tree.

Also bleh. DPS has like twice as many medals as healers. It's like the game is trying to encourage me to stop healing.

Biochem adrenals will be nerfed next. They honestly are causing the most issues.

Not sure what they could do to sage/sorc outside of maybe increasing the cooldown on the sorc shield. Maybe deathfield could have its dmg reduced. Sorcs specced right have good sustained dps but somewhat low burst unless you spec to get both deathfield and chain lightning and use a proc to get CL to go off instantly.

If any of the nerfs are related to CC, my opinion is they fix resolve before they mess with CC's. Example being the operative CC nerf I don't think was necessary until they get resolve working a little better.

The lightning tree combat ability wise is pretty garbage outside of chain lightning. Example would be how many sorcs have you seen standing still casting lightning strike and thundering blast?

Sage/Sorc survivability in pvp is way OP right now. I've got every piece of champion gear except for headpiece and I still have a ton of trouble killing any similarly geared sage/sorc (I average 180k to 230k in 50s wz bracket, occassionally break 300k so I don't think I'm that unskilled in comparison). The main thing, imo, is that their shields and damage absorption is crazy effective and combined with their healing when those are on CD it makes killing a competent sorc pretty difficult.

I don't have a real problem with their dps as long as they're are actually killable. Either way, something has got to go. You can't combine survivability, healing, and sustained dps like that into a single class and expect balance.

frequency

Sage/Sorc survivability in pvp is way OP right now. I've got every piece of champion gear except for headpiece and I still have a ton of trouble killing any similarly geared sage/sorc (I average 180k to 230k in 50s wz bracket, occassionally break 300k so I don't think I'm that unskilled in comparison). The main thing, imo, is that their shields and damage absorption is crazy effective and combined with their healing when those are on CD it makes killing a competent sorc pretty difficult.

I don't have a real problem with their dps as long as they're are actually killable. Either way, something has got to go. You can't combine survivability, healing, and sustained dps like that into a single class and expect balance.

PvP healers should have very high survivability. A PvP healer is basically a tank. We shouldn't be able to do much else beyond keeping people (and ourselves) up a little longer.

The worst thing they can do to PvP is to balance for 1v1 situations. If people focus on the healer, as they should, they go down relatively quick. If we were any softer, we'd be useless. Even if you just put like 2 people on a healer, they'll be busy healing themselves while the rest of your team does their thing.

In 1v1, a PvP healer might survive longer than any other class you fight against, but they also have almost 0 chance of actually winning that fight.

I would say nerf damage, but it's not that high from what I understand. They just need a better way to separate the DPS and healing capabilities of the class. It was a really dumb idea to make a single class both the Mage and the Priest of the game.

gatti-man

Maybe move the talent to increase its effectiveness out of the damage tree and into the healing tree.

Also bleh. DPS has like twice as many medals as healers. It's like the game is trying to encourage me to stop healing.

In my experience hybrid healers get the most medals.

Sokantish

Also pure DPS class can get the 2.5k and 5k healing from the medpacs, probably the 75k healing too. Biochem is too good!

gatti-man

I don't know how hybrid healers operate. How can you have enough force and time to heal AND do damage? Unless all that healing is just on yourself and you're basically soloing in a WZ. Those people are jerks.

Ask gyrspike or gyrs in game. Ive seen him get 8 medals plenty of times.

PvP healers should have very high survivability. A PvP healer is basically a tank. We shouldn't be able to do much else beyond keeping people (and ourselves) up a little longer.

Eh? No thats giving them dual purpose roles. Currently they are too effective at both being a tank by healing themselves and protecting themselves, while still dishing out the heals for their team mates. Healers should be dependant on other players for proper protection. Sorc healers here don't need to have the usual "protect the healer!" thing as they themselves are incredibly hardy while they can effectively also be helping their own team.

Sokantish

You don't need to be hybrid to get 8 medals, I get 8 medals quite often as a commando and I only get the 2.5k crit heal medal because my heals as DPS spec suck

frequency

Eh? No thats giving them dual purpose roles. Currently they are too effective at both being a tank by healing themselves and protecting themselves, while still dishing out the heals for their team mates. Healers should be dependant on other players for proper protection. Sorc healers here don't need to have the usual "protect the healer!" thing as they themselves are incredibly hardy while they can effectively also be helping their own team.

"Protect the healer" is still in place.
Try healing yourself AND others when 2 DPS are on you with interrupts and stuns and pushback. How about 3?
When a healer is focused on, they are healing themselves and "tanking". Not healing others.
When I'm focused by DPS, I can't even take time to throw a shield or HoT at someone who needs help. That 1.5s GCD + pushback to get my heal off means I will die.

It's not at all dual purpose.

Healers in SWTOR are actually way softer than healers in a comparative MMO. If my survivability is lowered, I'm done with PvP. It's hard enough as is. And I get no credit for the work I do. If I'm going to die for the sake of 1v1 balance, then why should I even bother to heal? DPS would reward me better and then at least I stand a chance in 1v1.

If anything needs to be done to Sorcs/Sages, it's to the survivability of the DPS guys. Not the healers.

If I'm too effective at healing, then I'll argue that you're too effective at DPSing. Because people still die. A lot.

Are you absolutely dependent on other players to DPS? You get no kills if no one helps you?
Why should I be unable to do my job unless I have someone on my team hugging my butt at all times in some effort to "protect me". I should be protecting them. Not the other way around.

gatti-man

You don't need to be hybrid to get 8 medals, I get 8 medals quite often as a commando and I only get the 2.5k crit heal medal because my heals as DPS spec suck

Are you lvl 50? I struggle to get 6 medals as pure dps and occasionaly get the 2.5 crit heal from medpacks.

Sokantish

Are you lvl 50? I struggle to get 6 medals as pure dps and occasionaly get the 2.5 crit heal from medpacks.

Oh yeah sorry, I'm 50. My 31 smuggler can't even get the 2.5k crit hit medal. I think I only get like 4 on it... I feel like I'm doing it wrong because other low levels were critting me for 3k.

Ask gyrspike or gyrs in game. Ive seen him get 8 medals plenty of times.

He's not hybrid, but full heal like me. The best I've done is get 8 medals max, and that's with switching over to dps halfway through the match. My friends are both tanks and easily end games with 12-14 medals when they guard me. Its like the game is pushing me to stop healing and dps more even when healers are absolutely necessary to win matches

And I agree that healers survivability should be high, this is only the case when we are healing ourselves and not doing our assigned role and healing the group. If you get a healer to focus on healing themselves and not their teammates, you are already taking them out of the fight, doesnt matter if they go down instantly or if they drag the fight out. Every second they aren't healing is a second that your team has an advantage

That's because Trooper Act I blows big time, it's like the story is erased and they start again. Crazy decision. Force classes have storylines which are way more epic and go for the full 50 levels.

So you expect drastic change by the first month?

Given how the game is - yes. I don't understand how they can first nerf Operatives, Sage/Sorc should be nerfed after one week in December. The difference between them and other classes is crazy.

gatti-man

He's not hybrid, but full heal like me. The best I've done is get 8 medals max, and that's with switching over to dps halfway through the match. My friends are both tanks and easily end games with 12-14 medals when they guard me. Its like the game is pushing me to stop healing and dps more even when healers are absolutely necessary to win matches

And I agree that healers survivability should be high, this is only the case when we are healing ourselves and not doing our assigned role and healing the group. If you get a healer to focus on healing themselves and not their teammates, you are already taking them out of the fight, doesnt matter if they go down instantly or if they drag the fight out. Every second they aren't healing is a second that your team has an advantage

Well i have never seen anyone in my entire time of pvping even get more than 9 medals so i cant say. And i definitely agree that often to win a match im giving up 2-3 medals ESPECIALLY in huttball.

Top Bottom