• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Sokantish

The knockbacks are one of the worst aspects of this game for PvP in my opinion.
Knocking people off ledges in Huttball, or to their deaths in Voidstar is cheap and annoying.

It's been a long time since I've played a game where you spend more time out of control of your character than you do in control for PvP.

Sure there are knockback abilities in other games too (nothing like being blown off LM to ruin your day) but it's not nearly as constant as in this game. There are so many force users and the CD is so low, you just expect it to happen every time you stand near a light saber.

I really do think knockbacks are stupid but in huttball sometimes they seem almost mandatory because of how many classes that can charge across the map, or pull across the map, or go completely immune to stuns for like 3 seconds and have a sprint. Maybe they should have made the field a bit longer and not include all the stupid hazards. The way it is now either you score almost completely untouched or you get knocked off. Sometimes a tank with protection will carry it the whole way though if you're lucky.

everytime I see it, I consider leaving...

I spend half my time circling the damn ramps trying to get back to the upper levels after being force shoved off while chasing. I also wish I can chuck a nade down the random vent hole.....raaage

Yeah huttball is so hilariously unbalanced towards some skills like aoe knockback I have to smile once in a while when I get knocked down and have force leap on CD. Sage/sorc skills like pulling players up to them, knockbacks, and force sprint (whatever it's called specifically) are pretty insane.

usea

I feel so useless in huttball as a healing scoundrel. The only thing I can do is stun somebody who is running over the fire trap, hoping their escape is on cooldown. Other than that, I try to heal people, which is usually irrelevant. Like you said, most of the scoring is people untouched or using ability gimmicks and coordination to get the ball to the line. On rare occasion a tank will slowly move the ball down field while getting beat on, so I can be useful as a healer, but those games have poor team makeups / balance anyway and are usually one-sided.

Blitzzz

Knocking people off ledges in Huttball, or to their deaths in Voidstar is cheap and annoying.

It's been a long time since I've played a game where you spend more time out of control of your character than you do in control for PvP.

Sure there are knockback abilities in other games too (nothing like being blown off LM to ruin your day) but it's not nearly as constant as in this game. There are so many force users and the CD is so low, you just expect it to happen every time you stand near a light saber.

I don't mind it in voidstar as the fight on the bridge is usually just a small part of the overall game but in hb, it's like 15 minutes of circling around

the move is annoying but fine most times, just redesign the level so people who don't have leap and speed can actually do something

frequency

I think I just dislike everything about Huttball in general.

But either way, knockbacks are annoying to me. Even if I'm just pushed a few feet back and don't fall off anything. The problem is like... if I'm not stunned or CCed, I'm usually being tossed this way or pulled that way or something. I feel I have no control of my computer more often than I do have control when in an actual WZ fight.

Sokantish

What I hate in Huttball way more than knockbacks is other people. I'm to the point where half the time I leave Huttball before it even starts because I just get too worked up in the middle of the match because some people just either don't know how to play huttball or they refuse to.

CzarTim

I've had some pretty good luck in WZ. Not sure what the server win ratio is but I'd say I win 60% of my matches. I know some pub GAF have had some bad runs in the past. I think CzarTim was raging for a while before the 50s bracket :p

Yup. Since 50s bracket I have well over 50% win ratio. Went 4 for 4 this morning. :-D

The only healer I can't kill 1v1 as a marauder is a bounty hunter/trooper healer. Those guys really drive me nuts, gyrs says I might be able to if I interrupt the long heal (i've just been interrupting whatever I see, and I guess a good healer would bait a meaningless interrupt); so I have to try that. But PVP healing is fine imo, healers have a tremendous impact in all the warzones, especially when they have guard on them. And when I say I can kill any healer aside a BH in 1v1, that USUALLY means I can kill smuggler/sorc healers but it's still very difficult.

Even with the interrupt, don't think you could take me down 1v1. Operatives could before the upcoming nerf. That said, when I go into turtle mode, I don't do any damage or heal anyone else as to preserve ammo. So it is a good way to distract the healer.

Warhammer Online had far far more and worse knock back abilities. Ton of AOE knockbacks too.

RIFT also had far more CC also since there wasn't a build combo without a ton of CC abilities and the game for many months did not have any CC immunity built into it till they put in their own resolve type system some time after launch.

gatti-man

Totally disagree. You dont like being pushed off ledges pay attention to where you are and who you are fighting.

frequency

What I hate in Huttball way more than knockbacks is other people. I'm to the point where half the time I leave Huttball before it even starts because I just get too worked up in the middle of the match because some people just either don't know how to play huttball or they refuse to.

I hate how KV Republic spend all their time fighting the middle over nothing. No one ever stands up at the top on the other side waiting for a pass. And the people have no choice but to try to run it because there's never anyone in front of them.

Also, passing taking up an action bar slot is dumb. Like I don't already have too many things on my bars...

They should really allow people to just queue for specific WZs. So the jerks who just want to death match can go do that. If they add a death match WZ...

I get pretty annoyed when trying to defend a spot in Civil War, everyone runs off to right in the middle of nowhere over nothing. Meanwhile, I'm a healer sitting there by myself trying to tank 2 people and hoping someone listens to my cries for help - which, by the way, is incredibly hard with the burst in this game to take a few moments to type a message.

Warhammer Online had far far more and worse knock back abilities. Ton of AOE knockbacks too.

RIFT also had far more CC also since there wasn't a build combo without a ton of CC abilities and the game for many months did not have any CC immunity built into it till they put in their own resolve type system some time after launch.

I didn't get very far with either of those games.

I'd love to see how it plays on a flatter map.

Like WSG. Which I vastly prefer to HB.
Assuming they remove passing, which I think is dumb anyway.

Totally disagree. You dont like being pushed off ledges pay attention to where you are and who you are fighting.

How? Stay off the ramp thingies in HB? But I kind of have to be up there...

Sokantish

There really isn't much you can do if someone wants to knock you off, the slightest movement and they'll be at a good angle to knock you off... not to mention stealthers.

EDIT: I actually like the ability of passing. I do think you shouldn't be able to throw it out in the middle of nowhere and have it reset. If you throw it it should just sit there for a couple seconds, also I have NO idea at all how they figure people get the interceptions, I have been standing in front of people to try to get it and they would still get it.

Sokantish

I also would really like UI scale so I could make the bars not take up so much of my screen, at least they showed it in that preview video, didn't look like there were movable hotbars though

Dina

Get knocked out?

Pass the ball.

It's that simple... except people are dumb.

And thus the knock-back has prevented that played from participating in the coming precious seconds, unless he has a charge and unless that isn't on cooldown. Not to mention that knocking people down is a lot more definitive that people charging up, just because you can block a charge with not showing yourself to the player down below, while there is no defence against a well placed knockback. Knockback is by far the best skill to have in Huttball, combined with a sprint. And it's all on one class (knockback is on multiple, but none the other ones have a sprint), while they can also have a pull and a complete damage immunity if specced right. Inquisitors are already great both in healing, ranged dps and melee dps, but Huttball amplifies their usefullness even further because of how the game is played and how the map is made.

It takes three sprinting Sorcs to get the ball from one end to the other within a few seconds.

Blitzzz

Impossible in hb if you are trying to help with objective.

I hate how KV Republic spend all their time fighting the middle over nothing. No one ever stands up at the top on the other side waiting for a pass. And the people have no choice but to try to run it because there's never anyone in front of them.

Also, passing taking up an action bar slot is dumb. Like I don't already have too many things on my bars...

They should really allow people to just queue for specific WZs. So the jerks who just want to death match can go do that. If they add a death match WZ...

I get pretty annoyed when trying to defend a spot in Civil War, everyone runs off to right in the middle of nowhere over nothing. Meanwhile, I'm a healer sitting there by myself trying to tank 2 people and hoping someone listens to my cries for help - which, by the way, is incredibly hard with the burst in this game to take a few moments to type a message.

I love the passing aspect of hb. Good variation on classic CTF. Taking action slot is stupid, should be a separate icon. I'd rather have it be an instant skill that does a straight pass to a targeted friendly. The extra click to lay down an AOE pass makes it way too cumbersome

Civil war is my favourite wz. People actually listen or have plans. Usually guildies will cap and defend one node and others will listen if you tell them to hold 2 or help or whatever. Best teamwork wz by far

frequency

I love the passing aspect of hb. Good variation on classic CTF. Taking action slot is stupid, should be a separate icon. I'd rather have it be an instant skill that does a straight pass to a targeted friendly. The extra click to lay down an AOE pass makes it way too cumbersome

Civil war is my favourite wz. People actually listen or have plans. Usually guildies will cap and defend one node and others will listen if you tell them to hold 2 or help or whatever. Best teamwork wz by far

I like your idea. The extra click for AoE does feel really... not-good.
I still have a ton of problems with the terrain though. Maybe make it flatter with a larger playing field. You can even have environmental traps like fire traps and spikes or whatever that hit at certain intervals to slow people down.

Civil War is my favourite too. And when I have people sitting with me at the left node, it is really fun. But more often than not, I'm there alone.

Sokantish

Huttball is actually my favorite Warzone if I have 1 or 2 guildies with me because then we can 6-0 them but if I'm solo I do prefer Civil War. My least favorite WZ is Void Star it just seems so luck based. If you catch the other team with a bad spawn then you get to cap the doors, if you don't you might be stuck at the first door for the entire time

Just as I say that I get into voidstar...

Darklord

Banned
I feel so inadequate without epics at level 50. I tried Black Talon HM and we kept dying at the first boss. And in WZ's I feel like I do half the damage others are pumping out.

StMeph

Well I played AV before WOTLK. I hear it's devolved into rushing for the pve bosses now. On my server when I played, there were still large choke point battles that would last for a long time.

I actually have no idea what it's like now, but I played AV before Burning Crusade, and not only did we climb uphill both ways, the two sides would simply run past each other en route to PVE down the towers and boss.

Some things never change.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Well I played AV before WOTLK. I hear it's devolved into rushing for the pve bosses now. On my server when I played, there were still large choke point battles that would last for a long time.
That's called a turtle and they can still happen. People hate them because of the time investment currency ratio.

I hear vanilla AV was great. Battles that lasted for days.

Collected things to summon NPCs and such.

I'd like something with long battles if losing didn't destroy your time investment currency ratio.

I'm not sure how end game SWTOR pvp is tho.

JWong

Banned

I miss the 30 hour AVs back in Vanilla.

I feel so inadequate without epics at level 50. I tried Black Talon HM and we kept dying at the first boss. And in WZ's I feel like I do half the damage others are pumping out.

I did BT without Artifact gear. Died quite a few times on the last boss, but that was it. Last boss was one shotting people other people when she jumps around. And some of them didn't walk away fast enough.

gatti-man

Ask people i pvp with if i help with objectives.

Its simple dont let people get beside you, keep them in front or behind. Position yourself against objects like the posts near the flame sections. Use cc and your push back abilities or stun abilities. Pass the ball. You have a myriad of options. Use them.

StMeph

Its simple dont let people get beside you, keep them in front or behind. Position yourself against objects like the posts near the flame sections. Use cc and your push back abilities or stun abilities. Pass the ball. You have a myriad of options. Use them.

To be honest though, as a healer, a lot of positioning and play is based on the behavior of OTHERS. If teammates are terrible, then there's not a lot a healer can do but follow just to keep them alive a little longer.

Healers make good teams great, but they can't elevate bad teams to competence.

zlatko

Banned
I think Hutball blows nuts. They should've just had a defend the leader game type where it's either a NPC or someone on your team. If you manage to kill him, then you get a point, BUT to encourage movement, the leader has to be moving or else their health starts to drop at a super fast rate, AND if you can get your team leader to their base side, you can secure a point, before the leader is changed, and that person gets teleported back to your starting side.

Or something like that would be fun.

CAW

Went to login today and one of the security questions popped up and I answered it and logged in fine. It's never popped up before, should I be worried? I was going to order an authenticator but I've been waiting to see if I can download the app onto my Blackberry Playbook as there's suppose to be an update in Feb that allows android apps. Maybe I should just order the key-chain authenticator.

CzarTim

To be honest though, as a healer, a lot of positioning and play is based on the behavior of OTHERS. If teammates are terrible, then there's not a lot a healer can do but follow just to keep them alive a little longer.

Healers make good teams great, but they can't elevate bad teams to competence.
That's true for anybody. If you get on a shitty team, you're going to lose.

Went to login today and one of the security questions popped up and I answered it and logged in fine. It's never popped up before, should I be worried? I was going to order an authenticator but I've been waiting to see if I can download the app onto my Blackberry Playbook as there's suppose to be an update in Feb that allows android apps. Maybe I should just order the key-chain authenticator.

Funny, that happened to me the other day also. Not sure why.

Huttball is fun, the issue with it is of course that it comes up way too often and makes up majority of players WZs they get to play. I wouldn't mind Huttball if I didn't have to play it non stop, the other night I got 7 matches of huttball in a row, never saw the other WZs

squidyj

I'm thinking of switching over to my sniper. When I get ballistic shield does the damage prevented inside the shield count towards protection?

Why oh why aren't there any medals for tanking? I don't wanna switch to some sweep bombing guard =/

And is it just me or after 30 or so.... my guardian actually feels pretty rad? Maybe it's because I'm less squishy, I do feel like some chill ass jedi, strolling around effortlessly surviving most encounter, and having many (high CD T_T) skills to mow down normal mobs is pretty fun. Now I just wish I had more options for Strong and beyond...

TheYanger

Get knocked out?

Pass the ball.

It's that simple... except people are dumb.
You can't pass while you're stunned...Just saying, if your trinket is on CD and you get gangbanged you don't have a lot of time to target and throw most days.
There really isn't much you can do if someone wants to knock you off, the slightest movement and they'll be at a good angle to knock you off... not to mention stealthers.

EDIT: I actually like the ability of passing. I do think you shouldn't be able to throw it out in the middle of nowhere and have it reset. If you throw it it should just sit there for a couple seconds, also I have NO idea at all how they figure people get the interceptions, I have been standing in front of people to try to get it and they would still get it.

You're overthinking interceptions. If there is a friendly in the passing zone, the pass will hit them, period. The only way you intercept is if the only friendlies in the spot are incapacitated, nothing to do with position. For instance, if someone passes to someone else and I'm playing my JK next to them, I can force stasis them to intercept the ball before it hits.

Why oh why aren't there any medals for tanking? I don't wanna switch to some sweep bombing guard =/

Uh...there are. lots of em. Tanking gets the most medals, easily:
137Oo.jpg

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Why all the hate for huttball?

I LOVE HUTTBALL!

It is tons of fun with a good group that sets themselves up for passes and can clear the lane the ball carrier is taking! Nothing better than playing D and having someone trying to score only to force push them back and take away their scoring opportunity. Even more fun to receive a pass and run in for the score! Love it!

There's already an Android app been using it for awhile.

Blitzzz

Maybe we all just suck, or maybe I only have one point blank stun and need to stick to the ball handler in order to stun anyone chasing him. When you have 3 or 4 people congregate beside you because you are waiting for flame to go down, you can't keep all of them in front or behind you on that little ledge

Whatever, I'll go back and l2p...

Top Bottom