• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Tacitus_

If you are 50 do the dailies. Thats what? 300k credits a day?

Lol no. There's about 10 quests which award 7-13k depending on whether you do the bonus parts and/or if they're heroic. Add in the greens and greys you vendor and you'd get around 200k, max.

Not counting the fact that the epic mods you get from the heroic quests are BoE and can be sold... if you AH them all you can get over 300k

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Lol no. There's about 10 quests which award 7-13k depending on whether you do the bonus parts and/or if they're heroic. Add in the greens and greys you vendor and you'd get around 200k, max.

Not counting the fact that the epic mods you get from the heroic quests are BoE and can be sold... if you AH them all you can get over 300k
Theres 16 Ilum and Belsavis dailies right?

If you are 50 do the dailies. Thats what? 300k credits a day?

50k from doing the dailies on ilum (one of them is bugged so you lose 10k at the moment)
12k from doing the PVP daily from finishing and turning the bag in
Belsavis dailies are probably around the 80k mark, maybe a bit less as you only get 7k from the single dailies (the 4 and 2 give 14k each)

Space dailies probably around 40k but takes a while to go through all of them.
Add 15-20k from money and random selling drops

All thats around 200k and is a considerable amount of time investment, all depends how quickly you can get through it I guess.

Theres 16 Ilum and Belsavis dailies right?

I think its 6 on ilum and 11 on belsavis, like I said tho one of the ilum ones has been bugged since launch day and I doubt its going to get fixed anytime soon.

I think its 6 on ilum and 11 on belsavis, like I said tho one of the ilum ones has been bugged since launch day and I doubt its going to get fixed anytime soon.

It actually works right after maintenance, but quickly goes back into "bugged" mode once people start doing it. It's pretty ridiculous, I figured it would be fixed weeks ago to be honest.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The only thing that would be a huge investment in time would be the PvP dailies since you never win when you need to. Still 200k+ a day isnt bad. Then you factor in that your companions could be running missions for more stuff to sell while you yourself make money. The thing to consider though is that, imo, there isnt really anything worthwhile to spend money on.

edit: i dont view this as a negative. i dont feel pressured to do dailies or farm mats like i have in other MMOs. In Wow i would get panic attacks when the daily reset timer was coming up and i had not yet started for the day. i havent even logged in my 50 for a week or so and i feel fine.

Tess3ract

Banned
By doing all the dailies, all the space missions, and some various quests and such (like a full day of playing pretty much) you can get close to 500k credits a day, but it's a huge timesink and not worth it past the dailies.

Ken

Had to be a healer. My dps specced merc heals for stupidly small amounts in pvp.

Oh for crying out loud....

You think thats bad, have fun with sages and sorcerers. You'll get them low, they'll pop force speed and take off across the map like sonic. :lol

50k from doing the dailies on ilum (one of them is bugged so you lose 10k at the moment)
12k from doing the PVP daily from finishing and turning the bag in
Belsavis dailies are probably around the 80k mark, maybe a bit less as you only get 7k from the single dailies (the 4 and 2 give 14k each)

Space dailies probably around 40k but takes a while to go through all of them.
Add 15-20k from money and random selling drops

All thats around 200k and is a considerable amount of time investment, all depends how quickly you can get through it I guess.

Did not know there were space dailies; which ones are they?

Dorrin

What's a good Republic server to roll on? So tired of Thanna Vesh already, trying to get groups at peak times and not even one bite. Empire side KV is active at all times, could probably get a group on at 3 AM, but even with a comparable number of people on TV everybody is silent. Sucks that I'll be essentially abandoning my republic character (only 22) but I'm not going to sit on a dead server because of a couple of days questing.

I see I'm not the only one with issues on Thana Vesh. I'm ran into the same population issues as you and the sad thing is I've got 4 characters on there, two of them 22 and two others in the teens. Keep in mind Thana Vesh is a 'standard' server... can't imagine the ones that are 'light'.

I rerolled on Mind Trick which according to to http://www.torstatus.net/ had the best PvE East Coast server population at the time. It has made a big difference, Thana Vesh Republic side was like 50 on the fleet prime time, here like 150 ish. Empire side was ow 75 vs 190 or so. I've never even seen triple digit populations like that the entire time I was on Thana Vesh.

Its funny how Slicing was nerfed because people could get a million credits. Little did we know that a million credits isnt shit. Theres nothing to buy and credits fall from the sky from every and any endeavor you choose to pursue with the exception of Slicing.

Money always becomes a bit useless at end game for many people, course splurging on everything you can get your hands on also helps, but storing up for future content and expansions has to always be in the cards. Expansion hits, price of everything is going to inflate big time.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Money always becomes a bit useless at end game for many people, course splurging on everything you can get your hands on also helps, but storing up for future content and expansions has to always be in the cards. Expansion hits, price of everything is going to inflate big time.
i dont think thats going to be an issue with TOR. You get nothing from loot drops thats needed for crafting, afaik (other than BoP instance stuff for the highest tier craftables). Leveling skills requires nothing more than the green items you get from the basic gathering skill. You dont need the blue or purple mission mats to level stuff and they are only required for certain items which are arguably not worth the investment until you are level capped. i havent played an MMO like TOR where there isnt really a need to get involved in the economy.

Wow, took down this Mercenary's health to under 10%, he ran away, and healed back up to 100% in like 5 seconds using just 2 or 3 skills. Kind of ridiculous.

Definately a healing-spec merc. My DPS merc does shit for heals.

Overall I am relatively satisfied with my Merc in pvp. Seems like I can go toe-to-toe against most ranged classes and am typically on an even footing (not 50 yet so I can't comment on end-game).

Melee classes are the worst since they like to run through you and mess up half of your abilties while jumping around like the energizer bunny. I'm old and can't keep up with that shit, so I usually just ignore them, target someone else, and just use Jet Boost to knock them away if I can.

Does seem stupid that there's no way to put on a burst of speed. You'd think with a jetpack you could leap or something, but I guess only force users get to do that.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
although the interface is a pita

i've used the GTN to good effect
im sure you could make a lot of credits but for what? When i was 49 i spent 100-200k and got the best stuff for my ship. i guess companion stuff would be something but the ones i used the most both used the same stats i used so the quest rewards worked wonders for them. i just feel like theres nothing i need to buy.

Emitan

Had to leave during a FP so I unplugged my wifi adapter, hopefully the guy just things I d/c'd

I got the orange chestpiece for it, so I'm satisfied.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
although the interface is a pita

i've used the GTN to good effect
I would say getting your despot back, no auction house/profession/mail mods, the slow filter system, and having to type the names of items in discourages undercutting.

But I'm not sure if it's worth the trade off.

I actually want the auction house to play less of a roll in MMO's. I'd like to be able to get what I want with 0 auction housing and no hardcore farming.

It kills immersion IMO. There's nothing epic and fantastical about being obligated to screw around on an auction house undercutting just to get a nice mount.

If SWTOR is actually making money not matter a whole lot that then maybe I should be less profession grindy.

im sure you could make a lot of credits but for what? When i was 49 i spent 100-200k and got the best stuff for my ship. i guess companion stuff would be something but the ones i used the most both used the same stats i used so the quest rewards worked wonders for them. i just feel like theres nothing i need to buy.

They need to add EXTREMELY good items that are a) very hard to come by, and b) either BoE or unbound so, c) better than everything else for the slot (at least in certain situations).

Right now there is just way too much supply of credits to be useful, and no demand. They need to create that demand by creating a limited supply of highly desirable items

C.Dark.DN

Banned
They need to add EXTREMELY good items that are a) very hard to come by, and b) either BoE or unbound so, c) better than everything else for the slot (at least in certain situations).

Right now there is just way too much supply of credits to be useful, and no demand. They need to create that demand by creating a limited supply of highly desirable items
I would say... no they don't. Do you like spending a lot of time at an auction house to get a desired item?

Not saying I prefer the method of farming a daily quest hub for a month or two.

I really don't know what my ideal method would be but I know playing the auction house and farming quest hubs are tired.

I understand that they need time sinks to keep playing for months, years.

I'm very rich in WoW by the way. This is not coming from a broke QQer.

Tess3ract

Banned
I bought everything else first, the day i hit 50 i saved and saved, and got the 110 training and the dark side mount.

Not much else to buy, cept the voss mount, the security key mount, the social 10 mount (at social 5 atm), the 400k cargo bay....then what?

They have two new fleet comm social gears now (which I have 2/3 of), but one is fucking ugly and costs 200-250 fleet comms a piece which is absurd.

i dont think thats going to be an issue with TOR. You get nothing from loot drops thats needed for crafting, afaik (other than BoP instance stuff for the highest tier craftables). Leveling skills requires nothing more than the green items you get from the basic gathering skill. You dont need the blue or purple mission mats to level stuff and they are only required for certain items which are arguably not worth the investment until you are level capped. i havent played an MMO like TOR where there isnt really a need to get involved in the economy.

Other MMOs have had similar issue where money became pointless at a point in endgame for many people. You can buy out everything and all the stupid little extras just to sink the money into, but something always is changed or added that becomes highly in demand with future updates and again with so many people with money just laying around, it causes the prices of these things to jump to crazy amounts.

I doubt they will leave it that money is worthless for the rest of the games lifespan, the rewards at end game are way overboard and as others have said theres not a ton of must have things people can put up for sale or make. They have said they plan on adding more and more stuff for all crafters to make as well.

I bought everything else first, the day i hit 50 i saved and saved, and got the 110 training and the dark side mount.

Not much else to buy, cept the voss mount, the security key mount, the social 10 mount (at social 5 atm), the 400k cargo bay....then what?

They have two new fleet comm social gears now (which I have 2/3 of), but one is fucking ugly and costs 200-250 fleet comms a piece which is absurd.

Kit out all your companions and buy them a bajillion gifts off the AH and smother them with affection.

Otherwise it sounds like you have most stuff covered already.

I would save as much as you can though. Aside from the possibility of income getting nerfed in some way (either reducing rewards or increasing prices on stuff), There is upcoming guild bank which I am sure will cost 100 trillion credits to expand and not to mention whatever the Legacy stuff could end up costing.

Wasn't there talk of guild ships at one point?

CzarTim

The problem with money in MMOs is that it's hard to really control the flow of it. Everything has to pay out credits since any specific thing may be the only thing a player does. If it's important for anything other than vanity items, people will just start grinding it out. This creates an even bigger divide between casual and hardcore players. Do you price new items at a reasonable amount to let everyone afford them (but run the risk of the hardcore being able to afford them quickly), or do you make it ridiculously high (a uphill climb for hardcore players, but impossible for casual players.)

Putting gear behind a "play wall" guarantees an even amount of playtime, even if hardcore players get there first.

That said, bring on the vanity items.

I would say... no they don't. Do you like spending a lot of time at an auction house to get a desired item?

Not saying I prefer the method of farming a daily quest hub for a month or two.

I really don't know what my ideal method would be but I know playing the auction house and farming quest hubs are tired.

I understand that they need time sinks to keep playing for months, years.

I'm very rich in WoW by the way. This is not coming from a broke QQer.

You dont have to spend alot of time camping the AH to get these types of ites, especially if they are completely unbound. You just have to have money. As time passes, enough will be in circulation that you can find them for sale. Or you could just try to farm the item yourself.

The problem is there is no incetive to either make money or spend money right now.

Another idea is to reduce the quality of quest gear a notch, to where it becomes a bit harder to quest with reward gear only. This would actually create a market for crafted items, since right now there really isnt one.

Even with that, that only covers a pre-50 AH market. For 50 i cant really think of another way to create a healthy market unless there are actually items that a fully decked player would actually want, which usually means gear / mods better than what they can get otherwise, which is where the previous idea comes from.

zlatko

Banned
Got to level 7 with a Trooper... just couldn't wait anymore to try the class as an alt. Ended up not making on GAF server so I can share my mains crafting abilities with the alt, as well as money/gear he could need.

Class is a lot of fun to play, but the story is meh so far compared to the Jedi Knight prologue stuff. Everyone on Havoc apparently lost emotions, and everyone is just pissed off all the time. Plus, I had gotten used to on JK hitting 1 on keyboard always lead to the light option, and so without even thinking or looking at the choices I did a 1 on Trooper, and it lead to a dark side choice. ; ;

Zafir

Money is ridiculously easy to come by at 50, even if you didn't make use of slicing. I bought the 1.5mil mount the other day and I'm already back up to 900k.

Oh, and i wasn't GTN selling either.

Hopefully they add more stuff to buy, but I doubt it.

Varna

Yup. They really need to start merging servers. I know it looks really bad for them to start doing it so soon but the population on each planet is getting pretty bad on Shadowtown. Less then 80 people on each planet after Balmorra. It's getting really hard to do any Heroic 4 quest. Especially with the way the rooms are set up in this game, there is absolutely no reason why there should be so many servers.

CAW

It's probably been brought up before and I missed it, but has Bioware said why there aren't bracketed battle grounds like in WoW? Why do they toss everyone in together like they do?

Tess3ract

Banned
We spent like 2 hours on pylons trying to figure them out.... lol

At least I got a biochem columi thing and some rakata gloves :V

At least I can say I've done EV on normal/hard except for hard soa, and Normal kag, except hard kag the last boss

frequency

It's probably been brought up before and I missed it, but has Bioware said why there aren't bracketed battle grounds like in WoW? Why do they toss everyone in together like they do?

They haven't said but I highly suspect it has to do with the population. Even with everyone pre-50 in the same "bracket", it can take some time to get a WZ going. And it's almost always seeing the same people.

Each server has too low a population. I believe this is the same reason for their reluctance to add server forums, and then when they gave in and added them, they're grouped alphabetically(ish) instead of real server forums.

I personally don't mind the WZ wait (it's still pretty quick), but if it got too long, PvPers would complain how long it is compared to WoW or something.

And no, they probably don't have the tech for cross server right now. There's a million other things to fix and features that are missing they need to add before any cross server stuff.

No, this isn't a doooooooooooom and glooooooooooooooooom post. It's a "SWTOR has way too many servers for its population" post.

CAW

They haven't said but I highly suspect it has to do with the population. Even with everyone pre-50 in the same "bracket", it can take some time to get a WZ going. And it's almost always seeing the same people.

Each server has too low a population. I believe this is the same reason for their reluctance to add server forums, and then when they gave in and added them, they're grouped alphabetically(ish) instead of real server forums.

And no, they probably don't have the tech for cross server right now.

Ah, good point. I never thought of that.

CAW

I just don't like going against level 40s at level 14, and standing next to no chance. That, and I enjoyed the different bracket levels of PvP. I mean I know your abilities stack but you're still shy of a lot of abilities, etc.

Not a big deal though. I was mostly doing PvE anyway. :)

frequency

I don't like cross server either. But there is a huge difference between 20's and 40's. Talent points do a lot for you. And I'm not sure abilities are actually ranked up to what they would be at 49? From what I understand, the only increases are to your stats.

That said, being a healer is great. I've healed like level 15's through fights with level 45's where they won.
And if a 45 is on me, I just try my best to stay alive as long as I can because it takes the attention away from what their actual goal is. "Pillar humping" is the best. Chase me around this thing for 30 more seconds please!
It's great. More often than not, I end up with 2-3 people chasing me around instead of doing their objectives. In HB, some of them even follow me to a really stupid position - nowhere near where they're supposed to be.

I've said it before, but PvP healing really is basically being a player-tank.

Top Bottom