• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Got my founder status, that's definetly getting put on the second I get home! (Extreme sarcasm..)

The founder title doesn't mean much right now because everyone has it, but it'll be a cool thing to have in 4-5 years.

I liked putting up my Elder Master Chef title during times when I resubbed to SWG since that class was taken away with the NGE.

frequency

I completely agree. I almost wonder if it's a result of their stress tests, or because they simply forced the populations across servers during launch week because they though it best.

I think there are a few things at play.

1) They expected more people
2) Appearances. Launching with too few servers would be saying "we don't expect to be hugely popular"
3) Tech. Their engine is obviously not that great. It chugs a lot if too many people are in one place. This is also probably why every planet is instanced the way it is. The game just cannot handle too many people in one spot at the same time - as we can see with the Ilum videos from patch 1.1.

3) Tech. Their engine is obviously not that great. It chugs a lot if too many people are in one place. This is also probably why every planet is instanced the way it is. The game just cannot handle too many people in one spot at the same time - as we can see with the Ilum videos from patch 1.1.

^ This. I'm very curious what their maximum supported PCU (Peak Concurrent Users) is for a single shard (i.e. server). I doubt it's more than a few thousand, which is pretty low by today's standards. But it's the only possible explanation for why there are such a massive number of users and low population per server.

If a single server was able to support 5-6k PCU, I think we would be seeing way fewer servers. Luckily, MMOs are ever-evolving pieces of software. As long as they can get it there someday, I'll be happy.

I doubt the ability to migrate / merge servers is even implemented yet. Purely from an implementation standpoint, it's not as simple as most people think.

1) They expected more people
2) Appearances. Launching with too few servers would be saying "we don't expect to be hugely popular"

Yeah, I can image the shitstorm if/when they do start combining servers.

"OMG GAME IS TERRIBLEWTF CLOSING SERVERS GOING TOUNSUB!!!!!!!!OPERATIVEUNPLAYABLE@@!!!!"

Was anyone able to get the trigger for surveying the entire map of Quesh? I uncovered every light-colored hex on the map and it wouldn't trigger.

DurielBlack said:
Yeah, I can image the shitstorm if/when they do start combining servers.

"OMG GAME IS TERRIBLEWTF CLOSING SERVERS GOING TOUNSUB!!!!!!!!OPERATIVEUNPLAYABLE@@!!!!"

It's kind of a catch 22. If you don't overbuild your data center, you won't be able to handle day 1 usage spike and then people will go apeshit that your game performs like shit and has major problems.

If you build too much, the servers get sparse quickly after the initial rush of people playing and deciding it's not for them, and then your only choice is either to spend a ton of money on servers you don't need, or risk looking like you're a failure, when actually it's completely normal.

Valnen

So they have some input lag fixes on the PTR. And there's a patch tonight. Does this mean the input lag fixes are going live tonight?

Mairu

This is too true. The engine is really absolute shit. It doesn't seem to be able to handle an actual "massive" amount of people. Going to Ilum even now when there's more than 20+ people together the game performs pretty awfully. It's one of the reasons why I don't even want to bother trying 16 man raids.

The sheer number of un-abandonable quests that are part of massive quest chains that take hours to complete, are about to drive me up a fucking wall.

CAW

In heroic pugs, if an orange or blue item drops that everyone greeds on but you can use it for your comp, do you ask if you can need it, or do you just automatically greed it? An orange pistol dropped in a group of three and the two other players greeded and I asked if i could "need for my comp" but they kind of made a big deal about it and said for comps it should always be greed. So whatever, I greeded and won the pistol. Is that some hidden rule of heroic pugs for BoE items? Greed for comps?

Just asking because I levelled an OP to 35 solo and now I'm leveling a Sniper and trying to do all the heroics and FPs I missed with the OP and was wondering if that was some kind of hidden rule or something. :p

Tess3ract

Banned
You pause rolling and specifically ask to need it. Usually there isn't a problem, and if someone goes "b-b-but I need to vendor/gtn it!!" tell them that it's an upgrade and worth more.

I don't know about pugs, because I refuse to roll with anyone but my guild because we're not enormous douchebags, but with my guild it's always a nonchalant "I don't care, no big deal, go for it"

Milly79

An hour before the servers went down, Empire-GAF traveled to the shit planet of Belsavis to down the world boss.

Before:

8nicn.jpg

After:

ttLG2.jpg

We then decided to book it over to Hoth to down the world boss, but instead we did the mini-boss, which I thought was the world boss.

Before:

6CppQ.jpg

After:

faAtG.jpg

Good stuff tonight, fellas. And sorry for the crappy screenies, that's just what I have to deal with being on a Mac. Thankful enough to even be able to play.

In heroic pugs, if an orange or blue item drops that everyone greeds on but you can use it for your comp, do you ask if you can need it, or do you just automatically greed it? An orange pistol dropped in a group of three and the two other players greeded and I asked if i could "need for my comp" but they kind of made a big deal about it and said for comps it should always be greed. So whatever, I greeded and won the pistol. Is that some hidden rule of heroic pugs for BoE items? Greed for comps?

Just asking because I levelled an OP to 35 solo and now I'm leveling a Sniper and trying to do all the heroics and FPs I missed with the OP and was wondering if that was some kind of hidden rule or something. :p

I usually just ask if i can need for companion, if they say to greed for companion, then I greed and don't make a big deal about it.

Finished off the night with a nice PVP match as my sniper, totally in love with this class. Hiding around the Huttball arena, picking people off, is just so satisfying. Definitely will be my second 50.

If its an upgrade for your character its obviously fair game. When its an upgrade for your companion it enters that weird grey area. I personally wouldnt Need on anything I planned to give to a companion but others have different opinions. If nobody actually needs it, like in your situation, its pretty reasonable.

Folks are just touchy about it because there seems to be a lot of people who roll for their companions even when an item is an upgrade for another player. Now that baffles me.

hamchan

To me, it seems like every class gets varied enough companions that all weapon types can be covered by them, so the "greed for companions" rule seems pretty solid to me, otherwise everyone could probably be needing for companions.

Tess3ract

Banned
No, there's two world bosses on hoth. One is an ape thing, and the other is a cat. The cat one is WAYYYYY more interesting to fight though.

gatti-man

Finished off the night with a nice PVP match as my sniper, totally in love with this class. Hiding around the Huttball arena, picking people off, is just so satisfying. Definitely will be my second 50.

Thats totally my pet peeve. I choose to kill snipers 2nd only to healers.

CAW

To me, it seems like every class gets varied enough companions that all weapon types can be covered by them, so the "greed for companions" rule seems pretty solid to me, otherwise everyone could probably be needing for companions.

Yeah true, good point. I actually wasn't even thinking about that, now I feel kind of silly. From now on I'll just greed automatically unless I'm with friends or something.

Teknoman

Does NA Republic GAF need more of a certain class type, or should I just go with what I want? After giving it some thought, I really want to get into ToR, but im still stuck on deciding whether I want to end up as a gunslinger, jedi guardian, or jedi sage.

Tess3ract

Banned
I can't speak for the gaf guild but just roll what you want, it looks big enough I'm sure someone can fill a role for something.

For our guild, it was "too many healers! Someone reroll tanks!" then two weeks later it was "why the fuck do we have so many tanks! roll heals!" and since of course bioware is fucking retarded about ACs, you can't switch between them...

JWong

Banned
No.

There's the boss you kill for the magenta but that's a 4 man.

Also that boss cat thing IS a world boss.

The cat thing is a mini boss with mini loot!

We want magenta crystals! This is the boss for it.

vqfkz.jpg

And for those who say you run out of keybindings for warriors must be joking.

Tess3ract

Banned
Had no idea, no one bothered with him other than the belsavis one for the schematics. Probably because it's kind of harder to get to him on the republic side, and you're gonna be in the Tomb anyways for your dailies.

Thats totally my pet peeve. I choose to kill snipers 2nd only to healers.
Definitely for the best, I've gone through several matches where I would pretty much get left alone and I almost felt bad. People go down so quickly and have no clue I'm even hitting them half the time. So I don't mind so much when I get sought out.

Mairu

Had no idea, no one bothered with him other than the belsavis one for the schematics. Probably because it's kind of harder to get to him on the republic side, and you're gonna be in the Tomb anyways for your dailies.

The Belsavis world boss often bugged out (at least before 1.1, no idea if they fixed it) and just randomly decided to stop spawning occasionally. If it wasn't for the Hoth boss being available as well for the magenta schematics I'd be missing one of the three schematics!

Not that it matters much anymore I guess, considering HM Karagga is way too easy -_-

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

patch notes!

General

Implemented optimizations to improve performance on Republic and Imperial Fleets.

Classes and Combat

Significantly improved the delay when activating player abilities, particularly when in lower framerate situations. This allows for improved ability responsiveness in hectic combat situations.

Operations

General
Operations will no longer allow more than 16 Operations Group members to enter concurrently.

Karagga's Palace
Operations Groups will no longer be forced to reset the Operation if the group wipes when attempting to defeat G4-B3 Heavy Fabricator.
Fixed an exploit that would allow players to repeatedly loot the chest after defeating Jarg and Sorno.

Miscellaneous Bug Fixes
Fixed an issue that could cause graphical inconsistencies, which most often manifested as random screen "flickering."

jersoc

still no bug fix for pvp wins not counting? stay awesome, bioware.

republics on my server are awful. so when i get that 1 in 20 million be nice to have it count.

The Belsavis world boss often bugged out (at least before 1.1, no idea if they fixed it) and just randomly decided to stop spawning occasionally. If it wasn't for the Hoth boss being available as well for the magenta schematics I'd be missing one of the three schematics!

Not that it matters much anymore I guess, considering HM Karagga is way too easy -_-

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

patch notes!

Hmm was expecting 1.1.1, but at least these are necessary and welcome fixes. Even some major ones in it.

republics on my server are awful. so when i get that 1 in 20 million be nice to have it count.

thats in 1.1.1, so yeah guess another week. :(

Mairu

Looks like that unfortunately is in 1.1.1 and we're getting 1.1.0b today

Guess that's good for the people who can't stop crying about operatives though!

jersoc

Looks like that unfortunately is in 1.1.1 and we're getting 1.1.0b today

Guess that's good for the people who can't stop crying about operatives though!

oh, i didn't even know they actually fixed that. wtf how was this not pushed out today then?

whatever, i might just give up anyways, shit aint fun losing over and over and then getting a fucking token in your bag. reward system needs a mad overhaul imo.

empire gaf server seems pretty good so far. matches have been fairly good, but i'm not 50 there so who knows.

Kiarushka

I feel really stupid for posting this but

I keep on seeing everyone dancing and slapping each other. How do I do that?

And no I don't really play MMOs

I feel really stupid for posting this but

I keep on seeing everyone dancing and slapping each other. How do I do that?

And no I don't really play MMOs

Use chat commands.

/dance
/getdown
/clubdance
/slap

Theres a button you can click in the chat area somewhere that lists all the emotes.

Top Bottom