• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

frequency

I got so used clicking on nameplates to heal, that I simply wasn't able to enjoy healing in TOR. :(

I did that a lot in BGs in WoW. I'd love if it was here. It's also great for seeing cast times for interrupts and stuff.

Tab targeting sucks:

1. doesn't ignore CC'd targets
2. Doesn't prioritize nearest targets

Yeah. Name plates would help.

i feel your pain. I wish they would display the ball carriers name along the top of the scoreboard.

Preferably without all the titles.

Going from
Lieutenant ReaalllllyLong Naaaaaaaame
to
Alsooooooo Loooooong Knight of the Republic

is really confusing for me.
In one case, the name is the first word. In the other, the second word. Really dumb title system. And mix that in with Legacy names and all that, it's way too much for someone like me to parse quickly. Especially when this game is so burst heavy in PvP, taking the time to figure it out can result in death - and since I'm often the only healer, could result in a WZ loss.

Found it much easier to heal today, only one person went down in our HM Black talon run (last boss, stood too close when she did the pull AOE attack thing)

Well it wasn't bad for a group of randoms anyway.

Like the fact I don't kicked off my mount when I try and move fast either.

Its nice to see they are acknowledging that the faction specific animations are playing in part with the delay balance issues. Lot of Republic abilities seem to take longer than the Empire equivalent.

erragal

Its nice to see they are acknowledging that the faction specific animations are playing in part with the delay balance issues. Lot of Republic abilities seem to take longer than the Empire equivalent.

Mortar Volley is silly. My buddy (Who has a BH as well) just rolled republic alts and the difference between DFA and Mortar Volley is unreal. In a WZ on my Operative I timed it about 1.7 seconds from when a trooper activated it till when it actually hit me (Almost got a door bomb in that span too)

Side note: Republic evil is best evil. Dark side Troopers are the most vicious things in the game.

windz

The sheer number of un-abandonable quests that are part of massive quest chains that take hours to complete, are about to drive me up a fucking wall.

I agree 100%. Such a dumb fucking mechanic. Why can't I abandon some POS Nar Shadaa quest at 40 if I have 0 intention of ever going back?

JUST CANT K

yeah why cant you

this is seriously shit design

It's honestly probably a bug. They probably have a flag on each quest that says whether or not it's abandonable and since there are a massive number of quests in their quest database, they just messed a few of them up. But mother of fucking hell it's annoying. Having to go back and spend 2-3 hours clearing up garbage useless quests out of your log because a button is greyed out is infuriating. Especially since there is no way to know before you accept a quest if it will be afflicted with this. I'm the type of person that goes into an area, accepts every single quest, then goes and does them all until I'm ready to move to the next area, then I abandon everything.

Emitan

BUT WHAT IF I WANT THE 0 XP POINTS AND SHIT LOOT?!

Quests that gray out should automatically remove themselves, they don't benefit you anymore.

Izayoi

Banned
It's just like in any other mmo. Just scroll through quickly and use common sense to avoid CC's and unintended targets.
Most other MMOs prioritize proximity. Here you could be tabbing for ages before landing on the proper target. It's faster to click in most cases, and that's never a good thing.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
yeah why cant you

this is seriously shit design
Probably has something to do with what phase its in. i havent run across any i couldnt abandon though. To be fair i havent looked to abandon much to begin with.

So ive been playing a JK lately. i chose it because people said it was horrible. After playing a bit of it i came to the conclusion that it was better than Operative by far. The other day however i decided to try out a Sorcerer. i had seen what one of the "worst" classes was and wanted to see an "OP" class.

The Sorc had been on about the same level of the JK from what i had seen thus far. It was more powerful and had much more utility than i was used to in addition to being able to survive more. Something changed a couple hours ago though. i hit 20 and got Madness.

In case you are unaware Madness is a talent that allows use of Force Lightning without a cooldown. My first match as a fresh 20 with nothing special gearwise (including missing Relics and Implants) almost 200k damage, 17 killing blows, and zero deaths. And all of it was from spamming one ability over and over and over again. Besides Force Lightning the only stuff i used was my shield and Recklessness.. a 1.5min cooldown that gives my next two Force Lightnings +60% crit chance.

i now know what its like to be OP in TOR. im absolutely drunk with power right now. Drunk.

Ken

Probably has something to do with what phase its in. i havent run across any i couldnt abandon though. To be fair i havent looked to abandon much to begin with.

So ive been playing a JK lately. i chose it because people said it was horrible. After playing a bit of it i came to the conclusion that it was better than Operative by far. The other day however i decided to try out a Sorcerer. i had seen what one of the "worst" classes was and wanted to see an "OP" class.

The Sorc had been on about the same level of the JK from what i had seen thus far. It was more powerful and had much more utility than i was used to in addition to being able to survive more. Something changed a couple hours ago though. i hit 20 and got Madness.

In case you are unaware Madness is a talent that allows use of Force Lightning without a cooldown. My first match as a fresh 20 with nothing special gearwise (including missing Relics and Implants) almost 200k damage, 17 killing blows, and zero deaths. And all of it was from spamming one ability over and over and over again. Besides Force Lightning the only stuff i used was my shield and Recklessness.. a 1.5min cooldown that gives my next two Force Lightnings +60% crit chance.

i now know what its like to be OP in TOR. im absolutely drunk with power right now. Drunk.
Since Sages and Sorcerers are mirrors, does that mean that the random Sages I get on my team are terrible skillwise compared to the Sorcerers on the other team? Or do Sages not get a mirror of Madness/most Sages are specced for healing?

Same with how BHs on the opposite team seem infinitely more effective spamming tracer missiles than the commandos on my team.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Since Sages and Sorcerers are mirrors, does that mean that the random Sages I get on my team are terrible skillwise compared to the Sorcerers on the other team? Or do Sages not get a mirror of Madness?
Sages get it. Its Telekinetic Throw instead of Force Lightning.. the pebble throwing ability thingie.

7 days.

Wait, you were talking about the Sorc.

Aw. :(

They're getting nerfed next.
i doubt that.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Sages get it. Its Telekinetic Throw instead of Force Lightning.. the pebble throwing ability thingie.

i doubt that.
Have you ever played a MMO before? The terms OP, Nerf, and Buff exist for a reason. Every class is going to get nerfs, buffs, changes. There's always going to be a flavor of the month.

These problems are an inherent nature of action bar,gear based, PVE/PVP shared abilities/trees MMOs.

I haven't been reading your discussion with people, but, honestly, you might want to quit if you can't handle changes.

And people do just that. See WoW.

Choc

Banned
if i break out of a cc in PVP by using my break CC ability i should not be able to be cc'd right away right?

so why does this always happen

seems like if you want to build resolve you let the cc end :|

frequency

Don't bother arguing about Sage/Sorc nerfs.

Some people will insist that the most that would happen to the class is a token nerf that doesn't do anything. Because BioWare is too busy destroying the Operative class so they don't have time to nerf other classes. Because whiners in the community and BioWare and stuff.

I hate doing this on forums but this is really ridiculous. Every. Single. Day. Just stop damnit.

if i break out of a cc in PVP by using my break CC ability i should not be able to be cc'd right away right?

so why does this always happen

seems like if you want to build resolve you let the cc end :|

You can be CCed twice in a row. The only time you cant is when your resolve bar is full white. So if you can afford it, save your CC-break ability for when your resolve is full or if you know your opponent is out of CCs. Breaking one when it's not full will just get you CCed for the full duration on the 2nd hit - when you'd presumably have less health and will probably die.

CC does not break when your resolve bar is full. It means a new CC cannot be applied for the duration that the bar is white.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Have you ever played a MMO before? The terms OP, Nerf, and Buff exist for a reason. Every class is going to get nerfs, buffs, changes. There's always going to be a flavor of the month.

These problems are an inherent nature of action bar,gear based, PVP/PVP shared abilities/trees MMOs.

I haven't been reading your discussion with people, but, honestly, you might want to quit if you can't handle changes.

And people do just that. See WoW.
ive been playing MMOs regularly since UO. i have never seen a change so drastic and so soon (2 days after 50 brackets went live) that absolutely gutted a class like whats coming for Operative in 1.1.1.

And to the comments that i should just be silent about it.. fuck no. After spending a month leveling one up from day one i am entitled to complain about the class being destroyed.

Don't bother arguing about Sage/Sorc nerfs.

Some people will insist that the most that would happen to the class is a token nerf that doesn't do anything. Because BioWare is too busy destroying the Operative class so they don't have time to nerf other classes. Because whiners in the community and BioWare and stuff.

I hate doing this on forums but this is really ridiculous. Every. Single. Day. Just stop damnit.[poiler]
How about no? If it comes up in conversation im going to talk about it. All day long if necessary.

Choc

Banned
its not on the live servers yet

its on the PTR, and people are shitting about it on the forums for the PTR

so bioware may change it based on numbers from the PTR and metrics

dont whinge until its completely live

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
its not on the live servers yet

its on the PTR, and people are shitting about it on the forums for the PTR

so bioware may change it based on numbers from the PTR and metrics

dont whinge until its completely live
Once something is on PTR it almost always goes live. Besides that, im not going to level a new Operative on the PTR to level 50 just to test out the difference. And then i need another with me also leveling on the PTR to see the difference? The PTR as it is right now is completely useless.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
ive been playing MMOs regularly since UO. i have never seen a change so drastic and so soon (2 days after 50 brackets went live) that absolutely gutted a class like whats coming for Operative in 1.1.1.

And to the comments that i should just be silent about it.. fuck no. After spending a month leveling one up from day one i am entitled to complain about the class being destroyed.
Poor logic. It getting a nerf you don't like after multiple months or a year of investment would be worse than 1.

Doesn't matter how soon or long it takes. Every class you are playing will have nerfs you don't like.

If it's something so bad that makes the class not be viable, it'll be fixed.

They may over nerf and have something else take the OP torch, but it's still viable and in a good state when you compare it to all the other classes.

I'm not telling you to not bitch about it. But unless other people that played the class are bitching too, people have the right to mock you.

frequency

All the BioWare devs that frequent the GAF Community forum will be sure to take your criticism to heart. This is the perfect venue to whine about it. Keep going. You'll make a huge difference.

This is not even close to the biggest nerf ever. And it doesn't even come close to "gutting a class." I question your touted MMO experience.
Even if it affects you than any nerf has ever before, the fact that you don't believe class balance changes in future patches further provides evidence that you have no idea how MMOs work.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Poor logic. It getting a nerf you don't like after multiple months or a year of investment would be worse than 1.

Doesn't matter how soon or long it takes. Every class your playing will have nerfs you don't like.

If it's something so bad that makes the class not be viable, it'll be fixed.

They may over nerf and have something else take the OP torch, but it's still viable and in a good state when you compare it to all the other classes.
The thing is the class isnt OP. Stacking buffs and having geared 50s attack low levels with no Expertise is the problem. Not the skills. Both of those issues have been fixed. DPS Operatives have nothing other than a talented stealth opener and its burst. Thats all Operatives can do other than heal. The have no sustained damage.. they have no utility.. they have no mobility.. they bring nothing to the PvP table other than burst and if that is gone so is the class.

Youtube video of the reality of Operatives aka How the class is for me.
That there is my experience. i have never, repeat never, taken someone down from 100% health to within 2 global cooldowns (thats 3 seconds). The only people i engage are low health people.. which given that everyone has a recuperation skill there is no excuse for people to be running around at 25% health to begin with.. and people currently engaged by other party members. If they are above 50% health chances are i cant kill them quickly enough and then i am most assuredly killed in the following moments.

All the BioWare devs that frequent the GAF Community forum will be sure to take your criticism to heart. This is the perfect venue to whine about it. Keep going. You'll make a huge difference.

This is not even close to the biggest nerf ever. And it doesn't even come close to "gutting a class." I question your touted MMO experience.
Even if it affects you than any nerf has ever before, the fact that you don't believe class balance changes in future patches further provides evidence that you have no idea how MMOs work.
i cant think of a class change this sweeping and this soon in any MMO ive ever played. This will destroy the Operative as a damage dealing class.

Azzurri

More people seem to call nerf for Sorc more then Sage I've seen. I guess since there's more Imp there's more Sorc then Sages. Also if you nerf Sage then the Pub are really screwed.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The thing is the class isnt OP. Stacking buffs and having geared 50s attack low levels with no Expertise is the problem. Not the skills. Both of those issues have been fixed. DPS Operatives have nothing other than a talented stealth opener and its burst. Thats all Operatives can do other than heal. The have no sustained damage.. they have no utility.. they have no mobility.. they bring nothing to the PvP table other than burst and if that is gone so is the class.

Youtube video of the reality of Operatives aka How the class is for me.
That there is my experience. i have never, repeat never, taken someone down from 100% health to within 2 global cooldowns (thats 3 seconds). The only people i engage are low health people.. which given that everyone has a recuperation skill there is no excuse for people to be running around at 25% health to begin with.. and people currently engaged by other party members. If they are above 50% health chances are i cant kill them quickly enough and then i am most assuredly killed in the following moments.
If all they really had and relied on was opening burst that got nerfed then they need to change the class anyway. Because that's stupid to begin with.

I haven't played the class tho.

I'm not getting the feeling that there's a public outcry that the class isn't viable in PVP anymore.

I'm only getting the feeling that there are just bitter about nerfs as always.

hamchan

i cant think of a class change this sweeping and this soon in any MMO ive ever played. This will destroy the Operative as a damage dealing class.

Until people start whining again and they buff the class back up.

Azzurri

duuude.png

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
If all they really had and relied on was opening burst that got nerfed then they need to change the class anyway. Because that's stupid to begin with.

I haven't played the class tho.
i would have gladly taken less burst if it meant that we got more damage outside of the opener or some kind of gap closer or a mobility move or something. Thats not whats on the patch notes though.

i think its important to keep in mind that this is pre-nerf. Its only going to get worse from here.

Sokantish

i have never, repeat never, taken someone down from 100% health to within 2 global cooldowns (thats 3 seconds).

In full champion's gear I've been killed before I stand up from the knockdown multiple times. Although I do think taking away their big burst without buffing something else is a mistake, dying in 3 seconds is stupid. I don't think Operatives are the biggest problem though... Sages/Sorcs are insane

C.Dark.DN

Banned
1. My holograms keep looking like they have pieces missing from the model?
I know they disappear completely if AA is on and bloom is off. Any other weird combos?

2. Do I lose items listen on the AH if they expire and don't logon? I know a lot of times it says it'll expire in a few hours before I empty the mail.

Francois424

Neo Member
Back from a long week-end, just caught back to the latest post.
About the Slicing Nerf/un-nerf/buffing, a few thing to comment on :

Slicing has you mostly send your minions on missions and they bring back lockboxes with credits in them, or augments to sell on the AH. There are also some lockboxes out in the wild, but nothing compared to the other gathering professions. Slicing also got rather heavily nerfed, but there's been some murmuring that it got a stealthbuff and it might be worthwhile again.

Ever since 1.1 slicing is back to consistently profitable for me. I have not lost money one time out of 12 missions run. Its still not a money maker like diplo or bio but it does make a profit now.

i havent sent anyone on a mission since i lost like 10k credits testing it out. id rather just do dailies and get 200k credits than gamble for a possible 600 credit profit after 30 minutes of waiting. Killing mobs was much faster.

Slicing is... weird now. I also tought there was a buff in the patch that messed-up Ilum, but then it was gone after they fixed it in the other patch following it. So I dropped Slicing on my main. Then leveling it again on a terciary character after yesterday's patch, I noticed a *lot* of blue results, and often an additional wealthy slicing mission to top it all. It's almost like all high-end mission cost you money instead of giving it, and low missions are extremly good (especially for the time invested, roughly ~5min).

On a side note, I actually re-created my characters on a less populated server back when there were ~20min queues, and now that population dropped, I can't sell anything on the Market, nor can I find anything. Meaning I can't make money. I can level to make it, but sometimes I want to take a break to gear-up without leveling.

This being a Bioware game really shows. I mean this is exactly like the Neverwinter Night series, where when you need money (ie: low level, equipment and companion suff) you get squat. But by the time you are drowning in credits (level 50), you just don't need it anymore.

This is the first MMO that I play since Ultima Online where I just can't get by. I'm usually pretty good with this MMO economy thing. Oh well. Hopefully they really DID buff slicing up again. That would end my lowbie credit issue (Or I could just level a 50, but I really dont have time to do that right now, unfortunately).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Edit:
Please don't sign your posts. We can see your name not even an inch from your avatar/post

Fix'd
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I wonder how much new companions will cost when they are put up, im assuming they will be sold by the empty shop on ilum for like a million credits each or something.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
lol, pissed someone off real bad.

Me and a guy went running toward an elite. Not sure if it was mini boss or normal elite (was actually able to solo a mini boss on a sorcerer 30 minutes earlier) but I did my knock back after he tagged it, it flew off a bottomless pit cliff, and he lost it.

bjb

Banned

They rarely acknowledge their own bugs / shortcomings on their Official Forums as is, so the rage isn't necessarily misplaced.

Likewise I find it amusing they acknowledged (albeit tongue-and-cheek) what a disaster Ilum was, but have yet to mention what a further train wreck it has become.

Top Bottom