• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

They rarely acknowledge their own bugs / shortcomings on their Official Forums as is, so the rage isn't necessarily misplaced.

Likewise I find it amusing they acknowledged (albeit tongue-and-cheek) what a disaster Ilum was, but have yet to mention what a further train wreck it has become.

It sounds like you want them to make a public post declaring "Hey guys Ilum is a piece of shit, there's no way to fix it, we're sorry."

That is neither professional nor useful. What are you hoping to get out of them "acknowledging how bad it is"?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Trying to find a class I really click with is getting to me now. Especially since they have you visiting the same planets. That's fine and all, but I'm burnt out on them now. Maybe I should just be happy with my Guardian and hope for some fixes to the class.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ill admit.. i was wrong with being angry about the nerfs to Operative. Its possibly the best thing thats ever happened to me in regards to TOR. If those wouldnt have happened i wouldnt have tried out Sorcerer so soon. Its like a totally different game where i can actually accomplish something. Where has this class been all my life?

bjb

Banned
What are you hoping to get out of them "acknowledging how bad it is"?

Pretty much. I mean, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

For starters, the PvP-area is about three times to large. Even given the current shit-mechanic and objectives, it's so fucking big that you spend almost the entire time just riding around - doing nothing.

The Daily and Weekly Quest are unrealistic at best. The fact that the change was approved in the first place is a complete joke. It's as if no one on their team had the intelligence to fathom what the likely outcome would produce on most servers, much less (scary thought incoming) test them to see results.

Imperial's are constantly camping the same limited chest spawns in the center, which have the most absurd re-spawn rate. Good luck collecting 30 in an hour. Much less the 150 required for the weekly.

The republic can't even leave their shit base, because when they do, they're immediately zerged by much larger Operation groups. This leads to absolutely no one getting kills, and Republic players simply stop showing up.

The entire pvp-portion of the planet is an abomination for both factions. Given the amount of hype that went into pre-launch, to see what it has become, makes me just cringe at the thought of BioWare's development team doing anything worthwhile moving forward.

Hell, just read the forums. The amount of rage directed at Ilum can't be contained. The fact no of it has been addressed truly speaks volume about their commitment to, at the very least, "foster world-pvp".

frequency

ill admit.. i was wrong with being angry about the nerfs to Operative. Its possibly the best thing thats ever happened to me in regards to TOR. If those wouldnt have happened i wouldnt have tried out Sorcerer so soon. Its like a totally different game where i can actually accomplish something. Where has this class been all my life?

You might not want to get too attached.

It's the FotM now but it'll be hit with the nerfbat. Wouldn't want you to flip out at having TWO classes you like getting it.

For starters, the PvP-area is about three times to large. Even given the current shit-mechanic and objectives, it's so fucking big that you spend almost the entire time just riding around - doing nothing.

The Daily and Weekly Quest are unrealistic at best. The fact that the change was approved in the first place is a complete joke. It's as if no one on their team had the intelligence to fathom what the likely outcome would produce on most servers, much less (scary thought incoming) test them to see results.

Imperial's are constantly camping the same limited chest spawns in the center, which have the most absurd re-spawn rate. Good luck collecting 30 in an hour. Much less the 150 required for the weekly.

I did 30 in about half an hour today (1 kill 29 boxes)

I do agree with all your points tho, as it stands its an absolute mess.

All Bioware can say tho is they are working on it, like cpp said they aren't going to say its trash, the fact they are constantly talking about it and making changes to it shows they know its not working, they are trying to make it right and failing at the moment but eventually they will get it right tho.

TheYanger

It's the FotM now but it'll be hit with the nerfbat. Wouldn't want you to flip out at having TWO classes you like getting it.

Don't worry, he was flipping out about how bad operatives were BEFORE they got nerfs announced. That's how in touch with reality our dear friend wendi is.

erragal

Level 20.. still missing gear.. second match out of two where im top damage. 180k this last match.

Sorcs are completely overtuned but you really lay on the hyperbole.

Firstly, you're a very competent player and that skews any data you post. I did one WZ on my level 12 Gunslinger and did 170k damage but I don't pretend that means the class is absurdly broken; it's a powerful pure damage class but they have some very significant weaknesses.

Sorcerer pure ST dps is actually fairly reasonable (AOE is a different story and the wrath/CL build probably won't last long). They're far more sinister in how much survivability/mobility they get even when specced for that pure DPS. Shield needs a huge nerf for non-healers (Why is the 30% boost in the lightning tree, it's not even a sacrifice for any DPS sorc to take that!).

Operative's were a bit too powerful but it was mostly due to Acid Blade being way overtuned than anything else. Having 50% armor pen was too much and it was obvious. I do believe they went a bit too far by also reducing base HS damage as well; I think the reduction of Acid Blade to 30% was probably enough to bring them in line. AB HS, Cloaking Screen, AB HS is a pretty brutal opener even if people are exaggerating just how fast they die.

I will say this: It's a complete fabrication that anyone in PVP is dying in '3 seconds' unless there's a massive gear disparity. It's really not plausible at all. The fact you have to deal with that gear disparity at times is a different problem than actual class balance.

bjb

Banned
I did 30 in about half an hour today (1 kill 29 boxes)

I do agree with all your points tho, as it stands its an absolute mess.

All Bioware can say tho is they are working on it, like cpp said they aren't going to say its trash, the fact they are constantly talking about it and making changes to it shows they know its not working, they are trying to make it right and failing at the moment but eventually they will get it right tho.

In regards to the quest, I envy you.

I play on a high population server, and it's simply not possible to get sufficient boxes. Especially while there's 15-20 people riding around trying to do the same thing.

A daily quest should not take more than an hour. Sure I could log in at 3 a.m and potentially get it done, but the fact that I -have to- do that to complete a daily, is just absurd.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

First off, i doubt this class is getting nerfed. Too many of them and Bioware wouldnt want to piss off a class that makes up 50% or more of their userbase.

Second, unlike Operatives where one thing being nerfed means destroying the class, Sorcerer has too much for it that Bioware would need to nerf every aspect of it from top to bottom. Were talking talents, skills, burst damage, sustained damage, healing, class mechanics resource.. theres so much that they would need to change they would have to go through with entire class redesign to bring it down to the level of the Operative.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
No classes are sacred from the nerf bat, no matter how many people like them.
Like i said even if the playerbase wasnt holding the class hostage, Bioware would have to change so much i dont think they would be up for it.

edit: Bioware would need to do something like cut all damage/healing from all abilities by 50% for a Sorc player to even feel any hypothetical nerfs.

The republic can't even leave their shit base, because when they do, they're immediately zerged by much larger Operation groups. This leads to absolutely no one getting kills, and Republic players simply stop showing up.

The entire pvp-portion of the planet is an abomination for both factions. Given the amount of hype that went into pre-launch, to see what it has become, makes me just cringe at the thought of BioWare's development team doing anything worthwhile moving forward.

Hell, just read the forums. The amount of rage directed at Ilum can't be contained. The fact no of it has been addressed truly speaks volume about their commitment to, at the very least, "foster world-pvp".

I dont disagree, the point is that them coming out and saying it's bad is stupid, it serves no purpose. They're obviously working on improving all aspects of the game, including pvp, and will be doing so for the entire life of the game.

Its barely been a month, its far to early to strart throwing around statements like we need better communication, because overall theyve been good about it so far.

But i guess because they said "we're continually monitoring and working on improvements to pvp and ilum" instead of the equivalent "we know ilum sucks sorry guys" you're somehow not satisfied?

Arment

Leveled a Warrior to 10 and chose Marauder and a Inquisitor to 10 and chose Assassin. Now to decide which I like more. I'll probably take each up to 15 and then decide. I read on the forums that melee in general is unwanted at this point, so I'm wondering if maybe I made a mistake going Assassin. Double bladed saber just sounded cooler, plus stealth.

So far I like my Assassin better. She looks like Ventress. My Marauder looks like an emo rocker.

Even on a high pop server like Fatman it took me an hour just to find a group for Black Talon. MMOs. Bleh.

Zafir

In regards to the quest, I envy you.

I play on a high population server, and it's simply not possible to get sufficient boxes. Especially while there's 15-20 people riding around trying to do the same thing.

A daily quest should not take more than an hour. Sure I could log in at 3 a.m and potentially get it done, but the fact that I -have to- do that to complete a daily, is just absurd.
I agree. To make matters worse, on my server the battles always occur in big clusters, with everyone range AoEing each other. It can be pretty trying to get kills as a melee.

bjb

Banned
But i guess because they said "we're continually monitoring and working on improvements to pvp and ilum" instead of the equivalent "we know ilum sucks sorry guys" you're somehow not satisfied?

I don't think anyone should be satisfied with such a disaster planet, where horrible changes are being approved - through updates / patches.

I agree. To make matters worse, on my server the battles always occur in big clusters, with everyone range AoEing each other. It can be pretty trying to get kills as a melee.

Marauder here - I know your pain.

One trick I've found, just spam buffs. You'll get credit, assuming there's actually anyone to kill.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Listen, if Bioware isn't falling on their sword every week for some random problem then they're obviously not fit to run an MMO.

Desaan

The core problem with sorcerers/sages is that they are possibly the most polished of all classes and they have the one overriding factor over everyone else in PvP, a massive resource pool to dump from. Everyone else is working with energy/heat/rage and trying to manage it in the heat of battle and sorcerers/sage can just spam away till they are out of force by which time everything in the vicinity is dead and they just med up.

Throw on top of that a shield which gives them an effective HP pool of 20k+ (or more if they are well geared) and the ability to heal, you have yourself a recipe for a ridiculous PvP orientated class.

Thoraxes

Like i said even if the playerbase wasnt holding the class hostage, Bioware would have to change so much i dont think they would be up for it.

edit: Bioware would need to do something like cut all damage/healing from all abilities by 50% for a Sorc player to even feel any hypothetical nerfs.
If you want to talk strictly PvP, I think you can solve a lot of things by lowering the absorption amount of the shield, or maybe by dealing X amount of the damage absorbed over X amount of time after popped.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The core problem with sorcerers/sages is that they are possibly the most polished of all classes and they have the one overriding factor over everyone else in PvP, a massive resource pool to dump from. Everyone else is working with energy/heat/rage and trying to manage it in the heat of battle and sorcerers/sage can just spam away till they are out of force by which time everything in the vicinity is dead and they just med up.

Throw on top of that a shield which gives them an effective HP pool of 20k+ (or more if they are well geared) and the ability to heal, you have yourself a recipe for a ridiculous PvP orientated class.

It's funny how tier 1 talent can raise the pool and reduce the force cost of some spells and you don't really need it. lolz.

Arment

Next content patch is March. There will be other bug and balancing patches along the way - as with any MMO ever.

Mmmm. I guess. That's soon enough for me to imagine a scenario where not much is done in the way of balance until then. I'm not even above level 10 though so I'm not too worried.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Don't worry, he was flipping out about how bad operatives were BEFORE they got nerfs announced. That's how in touch with reality our dear friend wendi is.
If i had mistakenly believed that the stun couldnt be trinketed out of i would have thought Operatives a bit overpowered as well.

TheYanger

If i had mistakenly believed that the stun couldnt be trinketed out of i would have thought Operatives a bit overpowered as well.

What? The issue is that you act like any time you attack anyone they can trinket every ability they use. IE: The assumption that you stun someone and then they trinket instantly. That happens once every 2 minutes. If you're not dumb, you watch them trinket something else THEN gangbang them.

Your arugments have been idiotic the entire time. "Oh, I can not crit on all my abilities and they can trinket every ability I do" ...ok, and that fucks over EVERY class in the game.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
There is absolutely no aspect of Sorcerer that isnt obscenely powerful. The only thing it cant do is tank. Everything else it can do at A++ rating.

Having been gang banged by Operatives today, can't wait for the coming nerf.

Even with a tank build jug, one Scoundrel would take most of my bar in the first 2 seconds of the fight with their insane damage.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Your arugments have been idiotic the entire time. "Oh, I can not crit on all my abilities and they can trinket every ability I do" ...ok, and that fucks over EVERY class in the game.
Thats not what ive said. ive said that the only thing Operatives have is burst dps. No sustained dps. No mobility. No utility. No survivability. Taking away burst destroys the class.

And i still stand by my verdict that the class is not overpowered. ive actually played one and not once did i do any of the amazing feats. Its being nerfed because 1) people dont like getting killed by stealth classes and 2) Biowares lack of foresight having fully geared out 50s fighting level 20s.

im glad this change happened for because of it i am playing a class that is overpowered and i am loving it. Operative DPS was painful. Both in-game and out. Its hideously underpowered in PvP and you have to deal with the perception that you are an overpowered PvP superman.

TheYanger

Thats not what ive said. ive said that the only thing Operatives have is burst dps. No sustained dps. No mobility. No utility. No survivability. Taking away burst destroys the class.

And i still stand by my verdict that the class is not overpowered. ive actually played one and not once did i do any of the amazing feats. Its being nerfed because 1) people dont like getting killed by stealth classes and 2) Biowares lack of foresight having fully geared out 50s fighting level 20s.

im glad this change happened for because of it i am playing a class that is overpowered and i am loving it. Operative DPS was painful. Both in-game and out. Its hideously underpowered in PvP and you have to deal with the perception that you are an overpowered PvP superman.

If you've never killed someone when you stun them, you're in the minority and bad at playing an operative. It's that simple. I AM a fully geared level 50. I'm a tank. Operatives can still get me to 30% or less during their stun, and I have over 20,000 hp.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
If you've never killed someone when you stun them, you're in the minority and bad at playing an operative. It's that simple. I AM a fully geared level 50. I'm a tank. Operatives can still get me to 30% or less during their stun, and I have over 20,000 hp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1su-tMdKJE&feature=channel_video_title'

Since you know so much about playing an Operative what are they doing wrong in this video? Theres what? 17 seconds of the Operative beating on them and even though the target isnt moving or reacting due to testing purposes the Op still did not kill them before the video ends.

There is absolutely no aspect of Sorcerer that isnt obscenely powerful. The only thing it cant do is tank. Everything else it can do at A++ rating.

Their DPS isn't obscenely powerful, it's just combined with being the best pure healer and awesome survivability, thus why they can put up so much overall damage in a WZ. Anyways, no one is arguing the class isn't currently top. It will definitely get a nerf though.

Desaan

Once an operative is out of stealth and dropped their initial burst via hidden strike and backstab their dps goes from obscene to pathetic and there lies the problem. Once they are out of stealth they are biggest free kill in the game, they literally have no survivability, one escape on a 3 minute cooldown (2 if talented) and a 10 sec debuff of 100% reduced healing received if they do so (unless talanted, which just happens to be so far down one tree other spec's can't even reach it, same with the escape).

They also have no gap closer, no knockback and a slow with a 10m range. It's hardly mind blowing and at times the most infuriating class to play, trust me; I have pretty well geared 50 operative and they scale HORRIBLY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=58W2J3xbOWM - Just something I put together the other day to prove a point about their damage, the rest is in the description.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Their DPS isn't obscenely powerful, it's just combined with being the best pure healer and awesome survivability, thus why they can put up so much overall damage in a WZ. Anyways, no one is arguing the class isn't currently top. It will definitely get a nerf though.
The last match i was in i dropped a level 48 by my level 20 lonesome self by doing little more that hitting my 3 key. It took about 10 seconds (3 applications of Force Lightning and a Shock) and they never even broke my shield before they died. i got an Assassin Medal for that one.

I don't think anyone should be satisfied with such a disaster planet, where horrible changes are being approved - through updates / patches.

Are you actually just trying to misconstrue and/or misunderstand what im saying, or do you really not understand?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Once an operative is out of stealth and dropped their initial burst via hidden strike and backstab their dps goes from obscene to pathetic and there lies the problem. Once they are out of stealth they are biggest free kill in the game, they literally have no survivability, one escape on a 3 minute cooldown (2 if talented) and a 10 sec debuff of 100% reduced healing received if they do so (unless talanted, which just happens to be so far down one tree other spec's can't even reach it, same with the escape).

They also have no gap closer, no knockback and a slow with a 10m range. It's hardly mind blowing and at times the most infuriating class to play, trust me; I have pretty well geared 50 operative and they scale HORRIBLY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=58W2J3xbOWM - Just something I put together the other day to prove a point about their damage, the rest is in the description.
i can tell that youve played the class because you speak the truth and not myth. It is super frustrating to play. Besides what you mentioned the combat is also frustrating because its positional. You have to be behind people to use one of the three melee attacks you get.. the hardest hitting one incidentally. People can just backpedal and fire autoattacks and outdo what you do for damage or straight up just stand there and heal through it.

i challenge anyone who thinks Operative is OP to actually make one and play it. PvP along the way to 50 and report back how powerful you felt and how the class played along the way. Do it anyway because the story is awesome.

Emitan

OH MY GOD

Because I was flagged for PvP I had a really amazing time going to one of my quests which was deep in enemy territory and I had to dodge level 50 elites and enemy players. It was the most fun I've had in a game for a long time.

frequency

OH MY GOD

Because I was flagged for PvP I had a really amazing time going to one of my quests which was deep in enemy territory and I had to dodge level 50 elites and enemy players. It was the most fun I've had in a game for a long time.

I think you just figured out why people roll on PvP servers.

Izayoi

Banned
duuude.png
Flavor of the month. Nerf will come in February.

Mark it.

Teknoman

Installing and after some thought, im going to just go with the Republic, and be a Jedi Knight.

Keller's Void, here I come. Also I guess i'll just keep PVP flagged as well, since sneaking through enemy territory does sound like fun. Hopefully the NA GAF Republic guild members arent all 50 by now lol.

Top Bottom